PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Outcast released!

Morgan Evanar
Apr 7th, 2002, 04:27:20 PM
Well, holy guacamole! The long (about 5 years) awaited sequel to Jedi Knight has now been on the shelves for about a week. Words don't work so well to descibe it, so I'll use noises:

Ooooooo...... ahhhhhhh.....

OhLoookitThat!! Isn'tItShiny!!

Yes, its a gamer's pleasure. Built on a tweaked out Quake 3 Engine (id software, give the Carmack a hand) and filled to the brim with goodness by Raven, it was bound to be a good game from a graphical standpoint.

But its a good game with lightsabers and Force powers. Yes, behold, the lightsaber. Many people whined about the game until they got ahold of the lightsaber. But I personally enjoyed those levels, which payed homage to the original Dark Forces.

But the saber is what makes the game go from a decent first person shooter to pure fun. Raven first experimented with third person melee combat in the excellent-yet-looked-over Heretic II.

Raven's experince with third person melee weapons shows: the lightsaber is simple to use, but an experince player is easy to spot from an inexperinced one. Your swing is affected by both your stance (Quick, Medium and Slow) and the movement keys you are using.

I'd continue on about some of the details of the game, but it really is best experinced first hand.

You get to pilot an AT-ST

The good: Err... everything?

The bad: Steep system requirements (for most people are not tech junkies that upgrade on a yearly basis). Unless you like slide shows, have something with: A 500Mhz P3/Athlon, 128 MB RAM, TNT2/Voodoo 3 or better.

The weird: Raven's model speech system looks kind of goofy, but thats my opinion. Still, gets the job done.