PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Avoidance Update

JMK
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:03:49 PM
So?
How's everybody doing with just over a month to go? Do you know more about AotC than Lucas himself, or are you like me, and know the very basic premise of the movie? I'm actually surprising myself by the way I'm steering clear of all these spoilers. I read one this week, but it was soooooo minor that I don't care, it had no impact on the story at all.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2002, 11:50:58 PM
I know more than I wish but only a few minor things that I read off of theforce.net boards after that I have tried to remain spoiler free.

Figrin D'an
Apr 7th, 2002, 12:22:28 AM
I know a few things that are definately in the 'Spoiler' category, but I've done a much better job of avoiding info about AOTC than I did with TPM. I think it will make a huge difference in the movie experience this time around... I'm going to enjoy being surprised, rather than just waiting for stuff to happen, like with TPM.

sirdizzy
Apr 7th, 2002, 01:04:11 AM
i am trying to steer away from them more than i did with TPM but i still know quite a bit about the movie

i am not reading the book before the movie this time too

JMK
Apr 7th, 2002, 10:55:47 AM
Yeah, that might help a little.

I agree with you Figrin, it will definetly make for a better experience this time around. The last time I was waiting for certain events, like the duel in the desert, Valorum's ousting as Chancellor, and Qui Gon's death. This time I know that Some one tries to assasinate Padme, and Anakin is set to protect her, I know Shmi dies by the Sand People but that's about it. Everything else I know is from the trailers.

Jinn Fizz
Apr 7th, 2002, 11:16:32 AM
I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible, not only because of knowing too much about TPM beforehand, but also because of bad experiences with people blowing big plot points about TESB and ROTJ before they were released. And yeah, I'm old enough to have seen both those films in their original theatrical releases. :p

With TESB, somehow a friend of mine got to see an advance screening, or something like that. She came running up to us and said something along the lines of "You won't believe this, but Darth Vader tells Luke he's his father!" Thanks a lot, Heidi :headbash.

Then, with ROTJ, a friend of mine heard a local DJ team talking about plot points that had been leaked. She said she couldn't believe some of them, and I said, "Let me guess, Darth Vader is also Leia's father, so that makes her and Luke brother and sister! :lol" There was this really long pause, and then she went, "Uh, yeah." Thanks a lot, Jane, I was only joking, I never claimed to be clairvoyant :headbash. (Isn't it interesting that I can still remember the names of the people who blew it for me?)

Anywho, despite my best efforts with AOTC, I've still been exposed to some spoilers here and there, although I'm figuring that most of them are minor. Or, at least I hope most of them prove to minor. Time will tell, though.

Charley
Apr 7th, 2002, 12:53:50 PM
I am fully spoiled. I tried my darnedest not to be, but I gave in around Christmas time.

Super Wookiee
Apr 7th, 2002, 05:22:16 PM
I live for Spoilers.........its half the fun

darth_mcbain
Apr 7th, 2002, 09:12:15 PM
I tried pretty hard, but I broke down here and there and got a few things spoiled. I'd say I'm about 50-50 on spoilers. I know a few things I wish I didn't, but I know there are a few things out there that I don't know. If I can just hold on now for a little over one month...

BUFFJEDI
Apr 7th, 2002, 10:13:57 PM
I'm 100% spoiler FED!!!!!! and can't wait for more:)

Syrius Cline
Apr 8th, 2002, 05:59:07 AM
I read ALL spoilers. I eat 'em up.

The fact of the matter is, this might lead to my surprise. Because I've gotten this little idea in my head what the entire movie will be, and it's set in stone. And I'm probably dead wrong, just like I was with TPM. Mainly, it's because I overthink things. So I think I'm probably going to be more surprised than if I didn't read anything.

Oh, and just wondering for the people thinking of replying to this, does reading stuff like how Yoda looks like when he fights count? Or if Hayden Christensen nails the role or not?

JMK
Apr 8th, 2002, 07:06:25 AM
No, I wouldn't consider that a spoiler. However, the fact that Yoda does infact fight at all may be considered a spoiler to some, myself included, although I already knew.

Doc Milo
Apr 8th, 2002, 10:55:08 AM
There are so many varying degrees on what people consider spoilers. Some people consider any little thing, any little image not released by LucasFilm a spoiler. I, myself, have a much stricter definition. A spoiler to me would be anything that gives away too much of the plot, central themes, and stuff like that. Even stuff that gives these things away that is not true can also be considered a spoiler, to me, because it makes me expect something, and then when it doesn't happen, it can cause disappointment if what does happen is somehow weaker than what the spoiler said would happen.

I try to avoid most spoilers that get into plot points and theme portrayals, etc... but if the spoiler is of what the new Jedi Starfighter looks like, or if such and such an actor is playing such and such a character, I don't consider that a spoiler (although some do.)

Although I have seen spoilers, I pretty much have no clue, except from what I can gleam from the trailers, of what AotC is about. So, in my view, I consider myself spoiler free despite that I know that Yoda takes force lightning shot at him by Dooku, uses the force to "ball it up" and sends it back to Dooku. or The hilt of Dooku's lightsaber is curved. (Don't read those spoilers if you have a more liberal definition of what a spoiler is that I have outlined.)

imported_QuiGonJ
Apr 8th, 2002, 02:50:45 PM
Thanks to the toy sites, I know a lot more character names than I want to, I've seen a couple of the trailers, andknow a few plot points, but as to the structure of the films and such, I've done rather good at not knowing. :)

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:01:01 AM
Glad to say that I was able to stay away from the 2 big spoiler reports posted by Novi Paran and Sage Hazzard! :rollin

Sage Hazzard
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:50:34 AM
Oh come one! Mine's soooooooo good..... j/k

I really respect you people's will power. I could never hold out for this long.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 10:22:15 AM
Master of my domain! :lol

Charley
Apr 10th, 2002, 01:56:38 PM
<---- FEAR LEGO DOOKU :D

Figrin D'an
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:11:37 PM
I can't wait for the Lego sets with Dooku to start showing up in stores... I am sooooooo there...

I've already got the Jedi Starfighter set. :)

Charley
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:31:34 PM
Yeah my Wal Mart apparently had a bunch of lego sets out. I thought they were all preview sets, and I didn't have enough money to get more than one (Dooku vs Yoda). Imagine my suprise when I find out they weren't supposed to be released yet :)

Leia1031
Apr 11th, 2002, 02:12:19 PM
I can also say that I am 100% spoiler free! :D I'm not even gonna buy the soundtrack before I see the movie. That way even the music is new to me. :)

Well, I know one thing but that's cause Natalie Portman said something in an interview, but it wasn't that big. Just something minor about her character. Other than that though, I can only guess as to what the movie is gonna be about. I do watch the trailers though. I consider those like little treats before I see the movie. :)

Figrin D'an
Apr 11th, 2002, 02:36:28 PM
Yeah, apparently Walmart stores all over the country put some of the stuff out much earlier than they were supposed to. Unfortunately, I didn't get to one soon enough to get any of the good stuff before they pulled it from the shelves...

I really want the new version of Slave 1 . It looks mega cool, even better than the version they put out in '99.

That massive Corellian Corvette set looks amazing... 1700 pieces... *drool* It's $200, though. And I don't know where I would put it. :(

Charley
Apr 11th, 2002, 03:36:02 PM
Figrin...I saw that in Toys R Us today :)

Its awesome.

If I wasn't so broke, I would've bought it.

I did buy a clone today though :D