PDA

View Full Version : Midnight screening

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:10:45 PM
I read this on theforce.net lets hope its just this one theater

Jordan points out this info in the FanForce forums from Kir Kanos about the possiblity of no midnight screenings. Sounds highly unlikely to be a corporate policy, lining up for that first midnight showing is what people live for. But apparently in at least this location, it is out:
I just got off the phone with Carmike's District office. The Corporate Rep for Carmike was in town last week and told my contact person that Lucasfilm told them that there would be NO Episode II Midnight showings in the U.S.. The reason being that Lucasfilm is going to try to coordinate a simultaneous world wide release. Needless to say, my mouth dropped!
She was even wondering how Lucasfilm was going to pull this off, but for now that's what they've been told. All I have to say is that Lucasfilm had better get their act together soon and give us times and dates or they are going to have a very unhappy fanbase.

I am hoping that its just crap right, now, but unfortuntely we won't know the times for another couple of weeks (if they allow movie theaters to sell the tickets a month in advance.) I was wanting to go to the midnight showing but if there isn't one will have no choice but to go to a Thursday afternoon show.

darth_mcbain
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:20:14 PM
I was dismayed as well when I read that. I am so hoping that I can go to a midnight showing - I'm hoping like you said that it is only for that particular theater and not for all of them. I missed the midnight show here for Ep. I and I don't want to miss this one as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:24:53 PM
I saw the midnight show for TPM so I was hoping to see it for AOTC, I guess we will have to wait, hopefully when the tickets gol on sail in about 2 or 3 weeks, we will know for sure.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:18:50 PM
I won't be heartbroken if there is no midnight showing, but I will be there for the opening show, midnight or not! My girlfriend's sister worked for a movie theater when TPM came out, and the consensus among the staff then was anything but happy. No one wanted to be there for such a huge event until the wee hours of the morning when some of them had been there all day or had to get up to go to school the next morning. Maybe that has something to do with it.

darth_mcbain
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:25:22 PM
Yeah, whether it is midnight or not I definitely hope to be at the opening, but I think it would be really cool to go at midnight. All the die-hard fans will be there and you're getting to see it at the first possible moment (unless of course you're going to the charity screenings...)

As it was I got the info for the charity screening in Denver, but I don't think I'll go. As much as I'd LOVE to see it, it is a lot of money to only see it about 4 days early...

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:14:28 PM
Yes, but the bragging rights McBain, the bragging rights!!!!! :rolleyes

darth_mcbain
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:27:07 PM
Don't tempt me JMK... :) I was this close to whipping out my credit card and going for the charity screening - then I thought of some of the other things I could get for the same amount... Couple that with the fact that I'm currently house-hunting and literally need every cent I can get, I think I'll pass on the early viewing... As nice as those bragging rights would be, not this time... I'm hoping they'll have a similar deal for Ep. III, in which case I am there - no questions asked...

Champion of the Force
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:23:40 PM
Pffft - I wouldn't even go to a midnight screening of AOTC. I'd want a good nights sleep first before seeing it. :)

Besides, thanks to the release dates in countries as well as the differing timezones I would be seeing it a day before the US anyway. :p

ReaperFett
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:27:17 PM
Id rather be alert and watch the film in a non-full theatre, as opposed to tired in a room stinking of people who have been queuing too long :)

I wont even be going on the day. I can last until the crowds wane. A day or two, Id be able to get a good afternoon slot.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:51:42 PM
Here are two more stories from theforce.net, first another source chimes in about Midnight screenings:
As an update to this earlier story on TFN about midnight screenings, here's an update from Dan who called a former high-ranking official for a significant cinemas chain:
Lucas tried to do the same thing with the last (Phantom Menace) movie that came out. I don't see how he could control and manipulate show times after the official release date. We haven't heard anything from Lucas, but this stuff was all going around before. It would be very difficult for him to fix our schedule."

So I guess we won't know anything for sure for couple of months, but I am beting that there will be midnight screenings maybe not in every city but in at least some. There will probably be places like in NY and LA that show it around the clock.

Here is another story that is also interesting about tickets in Denmark, I guess they are already letting them sell tickets:

Darthpoodoo give us this update for the Danes on a quest for tickets:
Hey there, just wanted to join my fellow Danish bringers of news and chime in with this little warning before everybody flocks to Copenhagen. I just bought THE last tickets for the very first showing in Imperial, Denmark. There are, however, still tickets left for the next 9 showings but supplies are starting to get limited since people are showing up from all over Europe, well Scandinavia, anyway.
If you want a scan of them, Krede tells you where to find it:
I thought I'd follow up on the Danish reports on the advance tickets. I'm one of the lucky people who got hold of some tickets for the premier - if you'd like to see what Danish AOTC tickets look like please visit my website - http://www.cgiam.suite.dk/ and take a look in the "news" section.

JonathanLB
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:18:39 AM
It would be too bad, but I wouldn't -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- bricks or anything. I mean, I'll be in line for about three days I think, so whatever. I'll be at the first showing whenever that may be...

I cannot wait. :)

Midnight is unquestionably better though.

I'm never up by noon, but always up until like 3 or 4 a.m. so the midnight showing is perfect. :)

JMK
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:09:02 AM
Reaper, you just made me reconsider a midnight showing! I remember for TPM there were alot of nasty, smelly people in line (myself included) and it was anything but pleasant! :lol

BUFFJEDI
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:51:08 AM
There has to be a midnight showing,I have been living for it for the past 3 years for gosh sakes.I have my WHOLE day set up for it.:mad