PDA

View Full Version : Let the Games Begin!

Doc Milo
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:07:20 PM
Well, yesterday, Easter Sunday, was also Opening Day for the 2002 Baseball Season. From a NY perspective, it looks to be a fun year -- even with the controversy over Cablevision and the YES network. (Doesn't affect me, I have DirectTV.) I predict that many fans, Mets and Yankees fans alike, will be going Old-School for a while this year, and listening to games over the radio. (MSG lost the rights to Yankees games when the Yankees created their own Network (YES -- Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network.) MSG is owned by Cablevision, and as a result, Cablevision is playing hardball in negotiating with YES to get them put on their system. YES wants it as part of the basic tier, Cablevision wants it as a pay tier. (Me, I don't really care, I have DirectTV, where it's a basic channel.) Anyway, because MSG will be pretty much void of programming, they took 55 Mets games off of FOX Sports NY (owned by MSG) and put them on MSG. Now, anyone doesn't have MSG on the basic tier (most of Long Island) will have to pay extra to get MSG in order to get all the Mets games (which means they'll be paying twice, since FOX Sports is a pay channel as well, on Cablevision.) The Yankees are not even available on Cablevision.

What does this mean? Possibly a mass exodus of sports fans from Cablevision to DirectTV -- where FOX Sports NY, MSG, and YES are part of the basic package -- or a lot of NY baseball fans listening to the radio this year...

Anyway, it's opening day! Let the games begin!

JMK
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:09:11 PM
Even though it was still March as of yesterday, I couldn't help but smile that the boys of summer are here!

Super Wookiee
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:25:49 PM
More like the boys of Spring, Summer and Fall...they play so damn long!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:26:42 PM
The Last two CY young award winners both got rocked (Clemens, and Martinez) Martinez I think and hope is just rusty, he had lack of control and it hurt him, he had too many walks and hit a batter. He hasn't been pitching in months since his injury so hopefully his numbers will improve. Not sure about Clemens but its hard to believe that Baltimore knocked him around.

JMK
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:39:47 PM
That's surprising! I wonder how Red Sox Nation is going to react to Pedro's worst ever outing???? o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:56:05 PM
Probably panic and scream the sky is falling :P I am a Red sox fan but not a typical one though, I am not worried, I have read the reports it seems he is just very rusty, he didn't touch a baseball for about 4 months and that is why he has no control, he will get back soon, at least I hope he does.

CMJ
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:55:11 AM
Man...Bonds is on pace to hit over 300 homers this season. ;)

JMK
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:39:42 AM
And over 800 RBIs!!! :lol Mind you, it doesn't look like the Dodgers have the best of pitching staffs...

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:40:33 AM
The season is now like 1/20 complete. ;) The Expo's are tied for the lead in the NL East...wouldn't THAT be a great story?!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:43:45 AM
expos and twins in WS that would be even better :) but it is not going to happen maybe the Twins, if the expos can stay near .500 I would call that a remarkable season.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:47:24 AM
Yeah Expo's and Twins would be great! Can I get a "Hell No" to retraction, please? ;)

Actually I'd love to see the Expo's play the Red Sox in the series. I love my Sox, so I can't let the Twins make the big show...but Montreal can...as long as they lose. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:54:35 AM
Hey I am Red Sox fan too, I didn't realize you were a sox fan, they have a good team this year if Pedro can stay healthy.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:57:55 AM
Yeah...I'm a Sox fan. :) I know it doesn't make much sense, because I'm from Texas ranger country...and now live in Dodger/Angel country. But, what can I say, I've followed them since I was like 9 or so(about the time I really got into baseball).

Pedro is a huge question mark...but I think Nomar is an even bigger one. I thought missing him for alot of last season was big.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:04:30 AM
Well its not much different from me I am from Mass originally but have lived in SC most of my life which is more Braves country.
As far as the sox Pedro looked in his last start and Nomar has looked great so far, I think he will be fine, Pedro is the most important factor without him we are in trouble IMO, I think we can score a lot of runs but we need pitching to get past the Yanks.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:09:28 AM
You're right...the Sox(hell anybody really) needs great pitching to get past the Yanks. They have TREMENDOUS pitching, have for years now. I don't think Boston can match up starter for starter with them(who can really?), but if the pitcher's can hold their own, and some timely hits come our way, we have a chance.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:12:23 AM
That is why we need Pedro, he can match up against any of those starters, after that we have to hope Burkett, Lowe and Hermanson will be enough to get through them, really our only chance is in the ALCS in a 7 game series anything is possible.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:18:22 AM
If we played the yanks in the ALCS, I'd say risk throwing Pedro out on 3 days rest twice. That way he pitches games 1 and 4...and if needed Game 7. Hope for at least one win from your other starters and ask Martinez to put the team on his arm. ;)

It would help if Boston could get homefield...Tankee stadium is a helluva place to play come October.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:07:26 AM
:lol Go Expos!
I think a succesful Expos season would be the ultimate "screw you" to Butt Selig. I'd also love to see the Twins stick it to him. So far my 'spos don't look that bad. The defence needs some work, and there are already lots of lingering injuries to Vidro and Cabrera etc. Still, if the pitching stays healthy, I expect the Expos to be alot better than they have in recent years.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:50:56 PM
The Sox and Yanks began their rivalry today in the first game of a four game series with game four concluding on Patriot's Day. Boston one today 3-2, it was a pretty good game from what I could tell, I had to be stuck watching the GameCast on ESPN, (I am not paying MLB to listen to it on the Radio) I am more curious to see tomorow's game with Mussina vs Martinez going tomorrow. Clemens was suppose to pitch today but had to pitch yesterday for some reason, (maybe he didn't want to pitch in Boston:p )

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:53:35 PM
Yeah I checked in every so often on espn.com as well. I love the fact they go pitch by pitch...it's great. ;) A win tommorrow and the Sox will jump into 1st place. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 08:01:35 PM
We can always hope :) I am hoping they win 3 out of four that to me is the best case sceniero ( I would be shocked by a sweep, delighted of course but really shocked) have to see how Pedro performs, and if they can win that game their next chance at a win is on Monday, they usually do pretty well on Patriots Day.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:27:20 PM
Clemens had to go early because El Duque is injured.

Doc Milo
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:55:51 AM
More accurately, Clemens went early because El Duque had a stiff neck yesterday. El Duque ended up fine today, so he pitched tonights game against Boston.

Carr, I think tomorrow is Wells vs. Martinez.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2002, 11:24:12 AM
Whoops your right Mussina pitches Sunday, but that matchup that I said would have been better one. Clemens actually made a mistake by going early on 3 days less (though I am not sure if it was entirely his choice) he pitched a bad game because of it and missed out pitching against the sox.

Doc Milo
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:06:41 PM
I would have liked Clemens to go on full rest. I have him on my fantasy Baseball team. Fortunately, because I didn't expect him to start, I didn't have him in the starting line-up for his debacle, thus not hurting me. But if he went on full rest, there's always the possibility he would have been lights-out and he would have been in my starting line-up. (Of course, there's always the chance he would have been roughed up. So, I don't know which is better for my team...)

Score in the game right now is 6-3 Yankees. Pedro out. They say had a 105 pitch count. Wells pitching well.

JMK
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:06:39 PM
Al Leiter threw 69 pitches in 3 innings today vs the Expos. However, the Expos are the early season kings of blowing leads and they've watched a 7-0 lead turn to an 8-8 tie. :verymad

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2002, 05:01:55 PM
Well lucky for you the Expos won, Vlad hit a HR to win it. My Sox came back to with Hillenbrand hitting a 3 run HR, man this kid has been playing great he has already hit 4 HR. We are now in first place, not sure how long that will last.

JMK
Apr 13th, 2002, 11:57:53 PM
That was a nice comeback by the BoSox. I like comebacks, except when they happen against the Expos. :p

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2002, 06:32:36 PM
The feel good story of the year continues...The Expo's are in sole position of first place in the NL East. Man it would be cool as hell for them to win the division.

Oh and by the way...my boys from Boston continue to lead the AL East. Nice year in baseball so far. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:03:22 PM
Yeah they have scored about 50 runs in 5 games there offense is playing great and their pitching is starting to get better (now that Pedro is start to get better command) I think there is some problems in the bullpen but other that we have a good team. Montreal is a surprise man, I hope they can keep it up the same with Minnesota it would be so cool to see them both make the playoffs.

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:07:14 PM
Yeah the Twins are playing some great ball too. That sweep if the Indians was big for them.

You're right though...Boston's O' is off the charts right now. If we can only get hald that the rest of the season....and have our bullpen come around...we're gonna be dangerous.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:16:53 PM
Damon has a lot to with that he scored like 6 times to day bringing his total to 21 which put him in the top 5 in the AL, he really has made the biggest difference so far him and Hillenbrand who has been playing great so far, and think Nomar hasn't even really started hitting so this offense could get even better.

You mentioned the Twins what about the NL Central Pittsburg and Cincinatti are 1 and 2 in the division who would have thought that can either one of them win it. Its hard to believe but there are 3 small market teams on top I hope at least 2 of them can stay there that would really stick it to the Selieg.

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:20:23 PM
Well you gotta love the little guy....but Montreal and Minnesota are more pressing because of contraction. If ANY small market team did anything I'd be happy though...except maybe for the Brewers since that's Selieg's team. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:25:00 PM
I don't think yo have to worry about the Brewers and Tigers look to be the worst two teams so far.

JMK
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:43:46 PM
I listened to all 4 Expos games on the radio this weekend, and aside from Al Leiter's masterpiece thursday, (in which no team would have hit him) the Expos took it to the Mets each game. Right now they're firing on all cylinders and they're healthy, which is of paramount importance to them because there's no reason why they can't contend in the NL east. The Braves aren't the Braves anymore, they've taken 5 of 7 from the Mets already, and the Marlins will implode (they're run by Loria). If they stay together, they will be a serious thread in the East. Then what would Selig say? I just hope it continues. I love the way Frank Robinson is managing right now. He's getting the pitching, he's getting the fielding big time from Cabrera and Vidro, and most of all, he's got them all being patient at the plate and making the pitchers work for each out.

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:55:08 AM
The NL East is a touup to me right now. I see the Braves, Mets, and Expo's contending till September. That'll be a fun race to watch I think.

Doc Milo
Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:05:10 AM
CMJ: Oh and by the way...my boys from Boston continue to lead the AL East. Nice year in baseball so far.

Carr: I think there is some problems in the bullpen but other that we have a good team.

Speaking as a Yankees fan -- I'm not worried. I'll give Boston all the Aprils they want. It's September that's poison to them, anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:38:12 AM
I'd say its more October IMO, we have failed in the postseason so many times its terrible. I honestly don't know whats going to happen this time, I think it depends mostly on Pedro, if he breaks down again and is hurt half the year we have no chance anyway. If is healthy and we play the Yanks in a seven game series and Pedro can pitch 3 games I like our chances but those are all ifs.

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:04:32 PM
Yeah Doc Milo..I know all about the Yankee's. Believe me, my best friend is a Yank fan so I hear about it every year. I know we have a LONG season ahead of us...we're what like one tenth through? Still I like our chances.

Doc Milo
Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:47:25 PM
Carr: The Yanks don't really fear Pedro. They've beaten him a lot in the last few seasons -- even when he was healthy and dominant, the Yanks have a really good record against him.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:29:39 PM
Some of those victories came last year when Pedro wasn't healthy not sure about before that, also Doc, I didn't say they had anything to fear, I just think if Pedro is 100% we have got a chance thats all with out our chances are nil.

Jedieb
Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:23:55 AM
I can't believe I've missed this so much of this thread! Boston is off to a really good start. I hope they don't continue to play this well, it'll just make their inevitable September collapse that much more painful. :evil

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:26:01 AM
Your too cruel you know it :) Really if Pedro is healthy in September we will make the playoffs at least as a wild card, beyond that I wouldn't have a clue, I would like to see another ALCS against the Yankees that would just be a great series.

JMK
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:28:09 PM
I KNOW I'm jumping the gun, and I know that it's only 20-something games into the season, but my Expos are on a 6 game winning streak (Just finished sweeping the lowly Brewers). 1st in the East and leading the league in many categories, both offensive and defensive. Some great ball being played!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:41:27 PM
I know they are the surprise of the year so far and I hope they keep on winning. My team played well today and Pedro looked awesome he pitched 7 innings gave up 1 hit and struck out 10 he looks like he is back to me, to bad we lost the first two games of the series, oh well we go home and play the hapless Devil Rays we should sweep them.

CMJ
Apr 26th, 2002, 08:59:12 AM
Yeah Kyle...I'm pulling as hard(if not harder) for the Expo's and Twins as I am for my Red Sox. Montreal has an exciting squad..that 15 inning game the other night was terrific(I was on espn.com getting constant updates). I'm hoping they can keep winning...and maybe start drawing some more fans. Perhaps after the Stanley Cup playoffs finish...

JMK
Apr 26th, 2002, 11:46:36 AM
That's so true, the Expos won't draw flies until after the Canadiens are eliminated.

CMJ
Apr 26th, 2002, 01:00:56 PM
Speaking of which...that Canadiens - Bruins series is a dandy. I love my hockey as well(if you can't tell my #2 passion in life is sports...right behind movies).

JMK
Apr 27th, 2002, 01:44:20 PM
Are you watching game 5? This is murder for me!!!!!!!

JMC, you must be pretty happy. The Sox may not need to rely entirely in Pedro. Derrick Lowe threw that no-hitter today vs Tampa. He goes so unnoticed under the shadow of Pedro, but they're almost as good a duo as Schilling and Johnson. Now there's a series I would like to see. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2002, 04:22:58 PM
I was thrilled when I found it out, Lowe pitched an incredible game, I wish I could have saw it being down here in the South I have no access to see the games but I saw the highlights on Sportscenter and he was incredible. I always though Lowe had the capabilities of being a great starter but they kept him the bullpen, now I think he is the second best starter on the staff (better than inconsitent Nomo that we had last year) and Burkett pitched 6 shutout innings yesterday if we can get Hermenson back we have a heck of a staff.

JMK
Apr 27th, 2002, 04:37:15 PM
Hermanson is alot like Nomo in the respect that they're both inconsistent. When Hermanson rose up to become Expos ace, everyone thought he was "it". In his first full season as the number one starter, he was good some nights, awful on others. Inconsitent all year and finished with a record of 11-14 or something like that.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2002, 04:41:06 PM
Well I think he has potential, he had one great season with the Expos when he won like 16 games or something like that, I think he has good stuff for basically a 4th starter (which is what he is on this staff) he is better than are other two pitchers in the rotation: Oliver and Castilo (who has pitched okay but he always gets hurt), well Hermanson is still hurt so we will have to wait until he comes back to see what he has.

JMK
Apr 27th, 2002, 05:16:42 PM
He's got more than potential, he's proven that he can be an impressive pitcher. He just lacks consistency. Maybe that had to do with his messy divorce and everything involved with that. As a 4th starter, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one anywhere (except the Yankees, they don't count IMO :P) Just when you think he may be ready to sneak his way into the top 3, he'll either get injured, or start getting hit hard.

Doc Milo
Apr 28th, 2002, 11:58:38 AM
Lowe has been doing great, no doubts about that. But, if I were a Red Sox fan, I'd worry about when he was going to "break down" not to injury, but to fatigue. As a converted closer, he hasn't been used to pitching a lot of innings in a year. I'd be wary once he reaches the 150 inning mark. He may begin to show a lot of wear. (Just in time for the September swoon!)

JMK
Apr 28th, 2002, 12:22:42 PM
You've got it all scripted out for those poor Sox, don't you Doc! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2002, 03:19:52 PM
I disagree I am not worried about that because he was originally a starter for are team but pitched so poorly (0-9 I think) that he was moved to the bullpen as a long reliever, and when Tom Gordon got hurt they tried him and Wakefield as the closer and Lowe won the job, so I have never seen him as a reliever and wished they had moved him before this year but he had 42 saves in 2000 which made it hard to do and they had no closer to other than very old Rod Beck so they stayed with Lowe, and I think he was dispointed he wanted to be a starter. Lowe nor the rotation other than maybe Oliver doesn't worry me, what worries me is the bullpen, Garces has been terrible his nickname El Gualpie (sp), is starting to show on his waist and he is pitching awful, an Urbania seems to want to pitch through trouble he makes every outing an adventure even though he has saved 9 games.

Doc Milo
Apr 28th, 2002, 06:50:29 PM
You've got it all scripted out for those poor Sox, don't you Doc!

Well, there is a history to go by, you know... :)

JMK
Apr 28th, 2002, 09:35:08 PM
Yeah, those Sox have sorta written their own script for the past 80 years huh? (sorry JMC ;))

CMJ
Apr 28th, 2002, 09:46:06 PM
Yeah, yeah....I know in my mind the Sox will never win the series, but I still got my dreams. Don't rain on my parade guys. :P

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2002, 10:42:10 PM
I am not a typical Red Sox fan I think they will do it one day, but really we have nothing to complain up about look at the Cubs' fans after 90 years of losing I am surprise they still root for them.

JMK
Apr 29th, 2002, 07:55:18 AM
Either extremely loyal, or suckers for punishment!

Jedieb
Apr 29th, 2002, 09:29:58 AM
Yankees took 2 out of 3 from the Mariners over the weekend. If not for Garcia pitching a gem against a Yankee 1-hitter it would have been a clean sweep. Stupid Mariners.:smokin

Doc Milo
Apr 29th, 2002, 12:14:51 PM
About Cubs fans. I've gone to Wrigley twice -- and Cubs fans are very loyal and friendly. They know they're going to lose, and they accept that. They have a sense of humor about it as well.... :)

JMK
Apr 29th, 2002, 01:19:42 PM
Having no expectations must be nice. :lol

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2002, 12:16:46 AM
I looked at the standings today and to my surprise my Red Sox have the best record in baseball, how did that happen:crack Of course I doubt it will last since we have been beating up on the bottom dwellers for the most part. I will see what they are made of when they travel out west and play the A's and Mariners.

JMK
May 2nd, 2002, 08:46:29 AM
The Expos have taken 2 games so far out of Houston, and Guerrero is swinging a telephone pole right now. Unless you deliberately throw a pitch into the stands, he can take you deep. I once saw him swing at a pitch that bounced off the ground 10 feet in front of the plate and he smashed it to the opposite field for a triple. The guy is a freak of nature. Also, the Expos 2 biggest starters Vasquez and Armas are pitching really well. I don't know how we'll fare against the D-Backs though. Johnson could be on the shelf though. That would be sweeeeeet!

Doc Milo
May 2nd, 2002, 09:42:27 AM
Heard an interview with Brenly yesterday. In his words, they are being "overly cautious" with Johnson, because it's so early in the season. It's a "minor" thing -- stiffness. He should be back either Saturday for the Expos or Monday, depending on whether they want to give him just a few extra days, or have him miss an entire turn in the rotation.

(Why am I so informed on that? Randy Johnson is the ace of my Fantasy Baseball staff.)

JMK
May 2nd, 2002, 09:28:17 PM
Maybe they'll want to keep Johnson rested until the last game in the series when the Expos will send Vasquez back to the mound.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2002, 11:45:27 PM
My Sox just swept the Devil Rays and are now 21-7 with the best record in Baseball and have a 5 game lead over the yanks, but know it gets interesting we play 3 games in Oakland, 3 in Seattle 3 in Boston against NY, Chicago, Seattle and Oakland, I think we also play 3 at Chicago but I am not sure, the next three weeks will show how good of team they are.

CMJ
May 7th, 2002, 07:02:56 AM
I know Carr...I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Jedieb
May 7th, 2002, 08:22:58 AM
I was staring at that 20-7 record the other day and saying "Holy cow!" But why have the Sox played so few games? Have they had a lot of rain outs? They've played around 4 fewer games than the Yankees and Mariners. That is a tough stretch of games. The key for the Sox has been how some of their young pitchers have stepped up. You know Pedro is going to win 15-20 games and give even more quality starts than wins, it's those other guys in the rotation that are going to determine whether they'll still be in contention come fall. Good luck guys, "you're gonna need it.":D

CMJ
May 7th, 2002, 08:52:02 AM
Yeah...Boston has had several rainouts already. Their will be several double headers to catch up in July and August.

Magic Number - 129. The power of positive thinking. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2002, 10:23:52 AM
I think they have had 2 rainouts, I think Tampa and Toronto those games I am not worried about they both stink. This stretch coming up is going to be huge and I have no idea how it will turn out. I agree though it is the pitching that is the difference, we have the offense sure but so doesn't the Rangers and hasn't done them a bit of good. Pedro looks healthy and Lowe has been terrific, Oliver has surprised me, he had a 6.5 ERA last year and right now it is 3 runs lower, our bullpen worries me slightly other than Urbania and Fossum the rest of the guys worry me, I still think we will win at least the wild card partly because our division except for the Yanks of course is terrible Toronto and Tampa are two of the worst teams in baseball and Baltimore is just medocre at best.

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2002, 11:52:28 PM
Wow my Red Sox have been impressive in Oakland they have beat them twice scoring 21 runs in two games they have really dominated them so far, I am not going to go overboard yet but so far things are looking good.

JMK
May 9th, 2002, 07:32:34 AM
Looks like my team is ready to give up already. Chumps. Just kidding, they've just hit a rough patch. They'll rebound. How can they not?

Jedieb
May 9th, 2002, 08:06:47 AM
That's a good against Oakland for the Sox. They don't need to sweep or win all of these tough series that are coming up. They just need to hold their own and show they can play with these contenders.

What the hell though? First the Pats win the Superbowl, now the Sox have the best record in baseball. What's next? Dogs and Cats living together? MASS HYSTERIA!!!

JMK
May 9th, 2002, 08:41:36 AM
Well the Bruins did get bounced out of the playoffs by my Canadiens, so all is not perfect in New England!

Jedi Master Carr
May 9th, 2002, 11:06:05 AM
Well the Celtics are tied 1-1 in thes conference semis, still if the Red Sox some how won the world Series people would probably see it as the sign of the apocolapse :p

Doc Milo
May 10th, 2002, 01:01:04 AM
Wait -- isn't the Red Sox winning the world series a sign of the apocalypse? I always thought it was! ::checks bible::

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2002, 10:46:49 PM
I decided to resurrect this thread after my Red Sox beat the yanks today 9-8 in 11 innings, we won the first two games (the first was Pedro and he is now looking like the Pedro of old) and we have the best record in baseball. Here is the bad news though, there is a talk of a strike. Yeah just us Red Sox fans luck we have the best record and the best chance to win the World Series and a strike happens, that would suck. I sware if they go on strike I will completely sware off baseball, I will never watch another game ever again.>_<

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 11:44:54 PM
I think that the fact that the Red Sox have the best record in baseball and a legitimate shot at the World Series is a sure indicator that we will INDEED have a strike. I believe... hey, did anyone else hear that? I could have sworn I heard some fat, beer guzzling, womanizing, slugger laughing from his grave. It sounded something like, "My curse will never die you fools, NEVER! BUWUHAHAHA!!!" :evil

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2002, 11:48:22 PM
I hope not a strike would be a bad thing because it would probably kill the sport, the owners and players are morons if they think they will get the fans back this time. As far as the Sox, I am optomistic but not delusional, I know we have a shot at the playoffs but I know how the Yankees play in October so it won't be easy I know it I just hope that there is still baseball in October.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 11:56:50 PM
The players aren't stupid enough to strike, but the owners ARE stupid enough to lock them out. Greed, it's ruining the sport. Both sides already proved they don't care about the game. I feel sorry for fans like my father. He LOVES baseball, watches it on a daily basis and roots for longtime favorite National League teams and his local Marlins. He never would have thought it possible that a stike could cancel a World Series. They did it once to him and they'll do it again. Billions of dollars and these nimrods can't figure out how to share it. They've got a perfect model in the NFL but they still don't get it. I'll never take my kid to a major league park, they don't deserve my money. I'll watch games on TV and go to the occasional minor league game (We have a Colorado farm team here) but I'm not paying $100 for two crappy seats to a big league game. I'm not funding anyone's strike fund that way.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 12:03:20 AM
I don't blame you, I very rarely go to Major League games, the Braves are close by but I never go except maybe for one game when the Red Sox come to town, but I only go to one game, and I am not sure if I was closer to Boston if I would go any more frequently, I just watch the games on TV for free. Who knows what will happen, hopefully they will get there act together but I think that seems unlikely.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 07:32:44 AM
Dude...if the Sox keep playing like this....and they strike or the owners lock them out....man....I'd be beyond ppissed off.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 11:19:19 AM
I know what you mean, hopefully they will work something out to just to finish out the season and see if they can work out this mess in the offseason.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 01:36:58 PM
If baseball had any kind of work stoppage, the sport is dead. And if they manage to get us fans back, then shame on us for being mindless sheep. Sure we love the game, but what they're doing, both players and owners has gotta be criminal. I haven't been to an Expos game yet this year, and as much as I don't want them to go....oh hell, who am I kidding, I'm waiting for $1 hot dog day.:D

Jedieb
May 25th, 2002, 08:44:12 PM
Just saw the highlights of another classic Yankees/Red Sox game. Yanks won 3-2 with both sides pitching rather well. Lowe did okay, but NY's bullpen depth was the difference. Tomorrow night should be sweet, the game is on ESPN's Sunday night baseball. I'm going to sit back and watch my first full game of the season. I think this is the rubber game of the series so it should be something to see.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 08:48:54 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. Hmmm who's pitching tommorrow? I'm gonna have to look it up.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 08:49:41 PM
Yeah that would be nice game to watch! As for me, I'll actually be on the diamond playing. Who are the scheduled starters?

Jedieb
May 25th, 2002, 09:00:17 PM
What kind of a league are you playing in JMK? I was playing in an adult league for a while but I quit last summer. Just when I would have been eligible to lead the league in strikeouts in the over 30 league! (No, I don't pitch so you can see one of the reasons I stopped playing.) :p

I played second base because of my weak arm, what about you JMK?
BTW, it's Mussina against Oliver tomorrow. Don't know much about Oliver.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 09:10:33 PM
I wouldn't say he's one of Boston's best pitchers. I'd give the edge to the Yanks.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 09:12:15 PM
Oliver is okay he is a lefty and he has basically owned the yankees I think he is like 10-1 lifetime against them and Mussinia is pitching so I expect to be close. Also it isn't really the rubber game, if the yankees win the two teams split.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 09:12:35 PM
It's a slacker's beer league, and it's coed. Which ain't bad.

I'm playing left field right now because there ain't no fly ball or line drive that I can't run down. ;) My natural position is center field or shortstop though, that's where I played most of my life. I used to have an amazing arm and an average bat, at best, but my arm and defence got to places I probably shouldn't have made (ie, all star games, provincial tournaments etc). Now my arm isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I need to warm up for at least 20 minutes and even at that, if I make a long, hard throw, my arm literally feels like its broken. :( My summer is full of ball this year. I coach at least two nights a week, practice with the ladies, and the sunday league. What else are summers for though? :D :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 09:31:18 PM
I would agree with you CMJ on Oliver but against the Yankees, I am not sure if it is because he is a lefty or what, he just seems to pitch better than against any other team. I have to admit he has been pitching better this year than in the past couple with Texas.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 09:37:58 PM
True enough...I remember him in Ranger country. The guy is wildly inconsistent, but for some reason he does own the yanks...you are correct.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 09:56:56 PM
I think his ERA was over 6 last year, but that came in a great hitting park, most pitchers struggle there. If he started 25 games in Boston he would probably have an ERA between 4.5-5 but I wouldn't want that in my rotation. Still he is better than Carl Everett I am sure glad we got rid of that Bum, he is currently on the DL but his batting average was below .200 when he went on it and that is bad in a hitting park like in Texas.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 09:59:04 PM
Oh man The Ballpark in Arlington is a nice place though. I wanna go back to a game there. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 10:18:34 PM
Speaking of going to games you might be interested to know that the Red Sox come to LA to play the Dodgers in a 3 game series during Interleague play. I would love to see that series the Red Sox have never played the Dodgers and the two franchises have so much history.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 10:20:14 PM
Yeah I knew that...not sure on the dates though. If it's at all possible wanna go(especially if Pedro is on the mound).

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 10:32:10 PM
I saw him pitch once against the Braves and it was a slugfest game. I am wanting to go see them play the Braves again but this time I would take Lowe or Martinez they both have pitched great this year.

Jedieb
May 26th, 2002, 07:48:45 PM
Giambi is a STUD! 6-2 Yanks. :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 08:02:45 PM
Yeah but he hit against that one of the worst pitchers in Baseball, we need to release that Oliver we need to send him to the Artic Circle or something, he can't pitch for nothing, he threw some terrible pitches. Oh well, we are still up one game and I think it will be neck and neck all year, I really hope we pick one more pitcher, we get Hermanson back from the DL, next month but I am not sold on him. There have been rumors that we might trade for Hampton which I would do as long as it didn't destroy are entire farm system.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 08:09:45 PM
Whittlin' away at the lead.....

Jedieb
May 26th, 2002, 08:11:00 PM
8-5
The Sox are showing some game and they just got back into the game with a 3 run inning. Mussina is struggling but Torre is trying to get as many innings out of him as he can.

Doc Milo
May 27th, 2002, 12:45:47 AM
14-5 final. Six more homers from the Yankees! They are leading the league in homers! How about that Alfonso Soriano guy. I knew he was going to be good, and last year he showed he was going to be good. But . . . man, he is playing like he thinks he's the Babe or something!

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 02:30:21 PM
They may have to juggle their line up to take advantage of his power. It seems like a waste to have all those home runs coming from your lead off hitter. Yeah, Ricky Henderson had power, but I don't remember him putting up these kinds of numbers. Plus, he got on base more than Soriano. 5th may be a good spot for him.

Doc Milo
May 27th, 2002, 04:29:23 PM
Double-edged sword. He's doing so good in the lead-off spot, I'd be afraid to move him!

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 07:43:14 AM
21 game hitting streak for Jose Vidro. On the other hand, Glavine OWNS the Expos and has given up one run in 33 innings vs the Expos. Damn him.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 06:16:17 PM
Whoa! What's going on with Pedro???? 4 runs in the 1st? When was the last time that happened?

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2002, 08:48:03 PM
Actually it happened in his first start, I think. I know he gave up 3 runs agains the Yanks in a game in the first inning in April. Actually he pitched great after that and they won 6-4, he was probably due a bad inning he has been basically unhittable for like 6 games now.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 09:15:47 PM
OK, I opened my big yapper too soon. Pedro settled down, the BoSox came back, the Blue Jays still suck. Case closed. :p

Jedi Master Carr
May 31st, 2002, 11:26:18 PM
Well the Sox and Yankees continued their rivalarly today with the Sox winning 5-2, Lowe pitched a pretty good game, he was a little shaky at time but he pitched 6 shutout innings and got of his jams by getting 2 huge double play outs. I am hoping Boston will win one more game (hopefully Sunday when some triple A pitcher will be pitching for New York) Otherwise we will be tied for first place.

Doc Milo
Jun 1st, 2002, 02:07:55 AM
Ah, the luxury of being a Yankees fan and knowing September always comes -- and with it, the September Swoon by our friends up north :angel

JMK
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:05:44 AM
Your overconfidence is your weakness...;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2002, 11:26:36 AM
LOL, well I take one game at at time and just hope, I won't be worried about September yet, I still say our problems are in October, we will make the playoff in my opinion which is all that I ask the wild Card will be great. I still think we need one more pitcher since it looks we might never get Hermanson back, he has been having problems with his groin and they say he might not be back until the All Star break if then. I'd say we make a trade maybe for Hampton if they price isn't too high he would be great in our rotation.

Doc Milo
Jun 1st, 2002, 12:51:00 PM
Well, I look at it this way, my Yankees have been keeping pace, and we have had a piece-work pitching staff since the beginning of May! Pettitte coming back in a week or so will be a big boost, and whe Duque comes back, we'll be at full strength in time for the dog days.

Jedieb
Jun 1st, 2002, 07:36:08 PM
Those damn diamondbacks look like they're going to be a force again though Doc. As good as our pitching is, NO ONE matches up with their #1 and #2 starters to Arizona. I think they're going to be in a good position to make another run at the WS. Stupid Colangelobacks.........

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:46:29 PM
I am shocked nobody rubbed it in :p I wouldn't have blamed anybody if they had either, Arrojo is not a starter, he can't go 5 innings any more so why they thought to put him in the rotation stumped me, that is why I am hoping we steal Hampton away from Colorado, he needs a change of scenery and we would be perfect. Also about Petitte there is some rumblings that he might not be back this year (this is what Peter Gammons said) and it may force you to look at another starter, I am not sure about El Duque, I don't think it matters if he comes back really, all you need is 3 starters for the post season (at least for the WS)

About Arizona I think a 100% Pedro matches up with Johnson, I think a 100% Pedro is better than Johnson actually and better than Schelling( we will find out about the latter the two match up next saturday in Boston), now do we have a second pitcher maybe Lowe, who has looked brilliant of course we will he look that way in the playoffs who knows.

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:33:08 PM
A 100% Pedro is better than any pitcher in the last 20-30 years.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:23:23 PM
Well, we won the series, today with a 7-1 win Castillo pitched brilliantly only giving up 1 run in 8 innings, best start he had all season, we are up 2 games and 4 in the loss column, now we play Detriot (who we should kill) and then we start interleague play, with the Diamonbacks, we get a break though that we miss Johnson (I was wrong about that) Martinez faces Schilling Saturday which should be a great game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:57:12 PM
Hey CMJ, at least you have something to look foward to the Red Sox are in first place and have the best record, hopefully they will brighten your day, just have to pray there is no strike or that will ruin any chances for this year.

CMJ
Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:38:01 PM
LOL Carr...with my luck there will be a strike. :) The Sox I playing SO well right now, I hope we can keep this up throughout the summer.

Doc Milo
Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:44:00 PM
Last I heard -- an interview with Joe Torre -- Pettitte is due to make one more start in rehab, then probably be in the starting rotation by the middle of June. Where did you hear he'd be out for the season?

This is what ESPN.com has to say:

SKINNY: Pettitte reported no problems with his elbow after throwing three innings in an extended spring training game Friday. The lefty threw 60 pitches and plans to throw 80 in his next rehab outing, which is scheduled for Wednesday (June 5) at Double-A Norwich.

I hardly ever trust anything Peter Gammons says. He deals more in rumor than facts. I think it was him who said that the Yankees are probably going to land Bartolo Colon from Cleveland. Does it make sense that Cleveland would give up Colon?

Still . . . if he's right about Pettitte, then maybe he's right about the Yankees getting Colon . . . He'd be an excellent catch for the Yanks...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:49:35 PM
Yeah it was Gammons, he can be a moron sometime I have to agree he is the man that said the Red sox should trade Ramirez straight up for Hampton and Larry Walker. That deal would be terrible, because first you would have to hope that Hampton pitches better and then you get an aging OF and give up one of the games best hitters who is ten years younger than Walker. Sure I still wouldn't mind having Hampton but Ramirez would be no part of the trade.
Also both Boston and NY lost today to two crummy teams and we both had our ace on the mound, I guess the Red Sox-Yankees series must have took something out of both teams.

JMK
Jun 4th, 2002, 05:37:54 PM
Yeah, seemingly. It's called playing down to the opposition. ;)
Isn't that the second start in a row where Pedro gave up 4 runs in the first? Yet he still comes out of it with a 1-0 record. There's a mark of a good team...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2002, 09:22:54 PM
I think, though I think in the last start he gave up 2 in the first and 2 in the second, I hope he pitches better in his next start he faces Schilling they can't afford him to give up 4 runs against him. Also I might get to see him when I go and see them play the Braves next Friday I think his turn will be up in the rotation.

JMK
Jun 4th, 2002, 10:02:55 PM
I know he gave up 4 in the first against the blue jays last week, maybe that was 2 starts ago, but I don't think so.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2002, 10:10:21 PM
I looked up the box score he gave up 2 runs in the first and 2 runs in the second, still a rock start here is the box score from ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?date=20020528&gameId=220528114

JMK
Jun 4th, 2002, 10:13:51 PM
Oops, I'm such a turd....

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2002, 11:17:21 PM
No your not, its just a minor mistake we all make them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:42:22 PM
Well the Red Sox won the afternoon game to take 3 out of 4 against Detriot, we still have the best record and we are now 40-17 that is a great start, I am just hoping we keep it up. Well tomorrow is the start of interleague play, we get Arizona first, I am just thankful we skip Johnson, so we have a solid chance of taking 2 out of 3.

JMK
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:09:36 PM
How would you rate the Sox' opposition so far this year? I know they've played the Yankees 2 or 3 times, but are they playing .700 ball against basement dwellers or real teams?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:20:10 PM
Well some basement dwellers but some good teams too, we have played Seattle 6 times beating them 3, Played the Yankees 11 times taking 7 of them We have dominated Oakland (who has been off to a rough start) winning 5 out 6 games. Also I found this stat that will do a better job than I can of showing how good they have played so far

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

Also they haven't added today's game but I think are numbers would go up a little.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:55:04 PM
Looks like the D-Backs got to Pedro early again. This time he finally takes a loss though. Schilling was just too good.

Again.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:16:47 PM
This time he did spread it around gave up 1 run in the second, 1 run in the third and 1 run in the 6th, he pitched good but just not good enough to beat Schilling, luckily for us the Yanks lost too, but we have to win tomorrow and we should with that bum Helling pitching his ERA is really high.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:45:02 PM
Every other pitcher on the D-Backs are bums aside from Johnson and Schilling. What makes those 2 so good? Experience? Yeah, they're both in their late 30's, so that's a factor, but I'm thinking of something MUCH more powerful than experience. It's something they both have possessed and still possess in their careers. All D-Back pitchers should think of getting one. What am I referring to? The power of the MULLET!

Doc Milo
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:31:47 PM
Well, 2 out of 3 from the SF Giants and the sweep of the BoSox by the D-backs, and the Yanks are only 1 and a half games out of first place.

Yanks face Randy Johnson tonight in the first game of a three game WS rematch series ;)

What's a fantasy team owner to do -- I have Randy as my ace, yet he's going against my team!

Do I express Yankee Loyalty and bench the Big Unit?

Looking at it from a logical standpoint, the Yankees never do well against the Unit. And with the way they strikeout, and with the way BU strikes out people, I'm looking at a possible big FP (Fantasy Point) number if I start him.

Oh well, sometimes we must bury our pride and do what is in the best interest of the team. Sorry Yanks. Gotta go with Unit tonight!

Jedieb
Jun 10th, 2002, 08:18:57 PM
SHANE SPENCER BABY!!! WOO HOO!!!!:crack :crack
7-3 :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:14:38 PM
They won 7-5 didn't they have a late home run that won, maybe that is what you meant by Spencer. My team won finally, we can't win at home for nothing right now and I have no clue why, luckily we are playing the Rockies who stink outside of Coors Field. I am going to see them play Friday against the Braves, and Manny Returns (they are saying he might be ready Friday) The amazing part is Manny gets hurt and we are able to survive without him and now we can get him back and our offense will just be awesome.

Jedieb
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:22:09 PM
Spencer hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th that put the Yankees up 7-5. The Colangelobacks got a 2 out 9th inning homer that brought them within 2, but that was all. Glad to hear the Sox won. Don't worry, we'll take care of Brenly's boys. We'll have our vengence!!!!! :shootin

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:26:37 PM
Well I was hoping you guys would get beat 2 out 3 to give us that game back, I think we can sweep the Rockies they can't play outside of there home run haven, and then we go on the road and play Braves, Dodgers (I am really interested in that series) and Padres. I can't wait for the Yankees to play the Dodgers though that will be awesome I think you guys have to go to LA to play them right?

Jedieb
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:28:57 PM
I have no idea, but talk about memories. 3 pitches, 3 swings, 3 home runs. Ah, the memories....:D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:35:12 PM
Dodgers vs Yankees they had some great WS going back to the 50's I guess, I have seen replays of Jackie Robinson stealing home on Berra that was something, and then there were the days of Kofax and Dresdale when the Dodgers were just unbelievable and I think beat the yankees once then, then there was 78 and 82. Oh by the way looks like it won't happen this year moronic scheduling they don't play that is so stupid the best WS rivalarly in Baseball and they don't play that is just stupid.

Doc Milo
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:56:36 PM
Dodgers-Yankees

This is a major screw-up by Major League Baseball scheduling.

Since the Yankees play their cross-town rival Mets in a home and home series (six games) they do not play the Dodgers this year. The six interleague series they play: SF, AZ, NY, COL, SD, NY.

Now, I can see the draw of a home and home against the Mets, so, if they didn't want to get rid of one of those series, they could have gotten rid of the Colorado series and given us the classic old rivalry Yankees/Dodgers. Or, they could have just made a four game series for the Yankees/Mets and made a two game series out of COL or something like that. Or they could have had a home/home three game series that alternates as to who has two games at home each year for the Yankees/Mets -- at least we'd get to see each team of the other divisions, as well...