PDA

View Full Version : Medievel Fantasy RPG forum

Novi Paran
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:10:41 PM
With the recent popularity of the LOTR film especially among those that RP on these forums and seeing how serious all of you are about building characters and the world's around them. I have a suggestion, how about creating a medievel fantasy forum here on this board for the RPers to enjoy an alternative venture? (While searching about, I discovered The Gungan Council created a Tolkien-based RPG).

I have read quite abit of fantasy and here are some suggested readings:

1. JRR Tolkien (father of fantasy in many minds)

2. George R R Martin (best fantasy series IMHO, personally favorite over any other fantasy work)

3. Steven Erikson (british author whose new series is the rage... Malazyn Book of the Fallen, high magic and sithian-like content)

4. Robert Jordan

5. Paul Kearney (recently published in the states, heard many great things about it, reading the first book now.)

Just an suggestion?

Admiral Lebron
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:35:05 PM
David Eddings was always entertaining.

Mr. President
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:13:11 PM
Terry Goodkind and, you've allready mentioned Martin. Those two I would suggest.

Plus, Stephen Lawhead writes some good historical medieval fiction as well. I'd check him out too.

Novi Paran
Mar 31st, 2002, 10:00:47 PM
David Eddings, Robert Jordan, and Terry Goodkind have very similar themes... farmboy/peasant becomes potential savior of the world with the usual prophetic connotations. Goodkind is a bit of a hack writer as there is strikingly familiar parallels between his series and the earlier written "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. Whereas, Eddings is geared more for younger adults.

I am glad to see there is more than one GRRM reader present. I have not read a fantasy series with such a dark poignancy in it's politically driven intrigues and intensely realistic characters like Martin's. While Erikson's series is sleek and well crafted too. Sorcerer battle royale with a body count! Graphic violence and mature situations is found in both series but not overly done alas.. ad nauseum.

Champion of the Force
Mar 31st, 2002, 10:20:42 PM
I have a suggestion, how about creating a medievel fantasy forum here on this board.
Last time I checked, this board was Star Wars oriented. :p

Live Wire
Mar 31st, 2002, 11:56:30 PM
is this a question directed at everyone here?

cause if it is my reaction mirrors CotF. While a lot of us aren't sw purists as much as others this was a sw only place or so I thought

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:07:22 AM
I discovered The Gungan Council created a Tolkien-based RPG).

I find this very funny - as the reason Ceel split off TGC was because he wanted something more pure Star Wars.

Anyway, no one's going to stop anyone from doing a RP that's fantasy based here, I think. As long as it's clear it doesnt affect everyone else, is anyone really going even care? Doing something fantasy based might be an interesting change.

I dunno, I for one might like to do a fantasy based RP just for something different

Shawn
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:37:00 AM
Goodkind is a bit of a hack writer as there is strikingly familiar parallels between his series and the earlier written "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan.Yes, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. Jordan's writing is intoleralably boring to me - Eye of the World is the only book I've never finished reading. Everytime I start, I can't get past page 100 or so without being bored to death and giving up on it.

Terry Goodkind may not be the most innovative author - yes, he borrowed a few names and perhaps a few themes - but at least I enjoy his books. I'm fully willing to argue that Wizard's First Rule (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312857055/qid=1017643249/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_67_2/103-2588275-6251004) is one of the best Fantasy novels ever written, and Stone of Tears (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812548094/qid=1017643288/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2588275-6251004) is one of the best sequels. Admittedly, the series started to decline after the first 2 books.

Michael Moorcock is a complete underdog when it comes to fantasy writing: Everyone knows the name of Elric (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/156504195X/qid=1017643338/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-2588275-6251004), but very few people have actually read his wonderful and unique Eternal Champion series of books (and there's quite a few of them). I definitely feel that the Elric books, if none of his others, fall into the "Required Reading" category.

Without exception, my favorite fantasy author is C.S. Friedman. Her maginficent Coldfire Trilogy (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0886775272/qid=1017643378/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2588275-6251004) is simply some of the best writing I've come across in ages. The world of Erna is fiercely unique simply thriving with details and nuances. Her characters are absolutely unforgettable - After reading the Coldfire Trilogy, you'll remember the name 'Gerald Tarrant' forever.

Another beautiful set of novels that literally keeps getting better with each installment is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. If you haven't read these, I seriously suggest giving them a shot. His first book, "The Gunslinger (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451160525/qid=1017643409/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-2588275-6251004)", is a bit lacking, as it was originally a series of short stories published in various Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazines years back. But it's a very short book, and once you get past that and familiarize yourself with his characters, the series picks up steam like a locomotive gone insane.

And, while not even close to "Classic" fantasy - If you found yourself disappointed or even disgusted with the lackluster Queen of the Damned movie adaptation, please, please, please... do yourself a favor and pick up Anne Rice's actual novels. If you've seen Interview With the Vampire, you could actually skip over the book - It was adapted closely enough, only cutting out genuinely unimportant events. So, if you're looking to cut corners, feel free to start with "The Vampire Lestat (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345313860/qid=1017643444/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/103-2588275-6251004)" - a wonderfully dark tale, and my favorite of Rice's books. Also, she's the only person who's done First Person writing which I found thoroughly enjoyable. I was actually disappointed when she moved to third person in QotD (although her marvelous writing skill is unmarred by the switch).

Anyway... to get back on subject: I like the idea of Fantasy roleplaying. I've always argued that SW is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi, anyway. In fact, I even tried to create a forum at my old messageboard strictly for fantasy roleplaying. However (you knew that was coming, didn't you?)... I don't think it would really have a place here. I mean, if you were to go looking for a Lord of the Rings messageboard, wouldn't you think it slightly odd if they had a Sci-Fi forum, where they played out Bladerunner-esque stories?

Like I told someone else a few weeks ago (and like DT just said): If you want to do a couple of fantasy-based RPs here, I don't think anyone's going to object (I certainly won't), so long as you understand that it's not going to affect our general SW universe in any way.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:18:44 AM
Star Wars owes a lot to Fantasy. The Seven Samurai for one. Lord of The Rings another. In fact, what modern fantasy doesnt owe some of it's existance to LOTR? I tend to agree - SW has more to do with Fantasy than Science Ficton. There's a real lot of people here who have used fantasy themes in their SW characters and made them fit well.

Id be up for a fantasy based RP, just for a change of pace

Sanis Prent
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:27:39 AM
(dittos COTF)

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:49:34 AM
Oh yes, C S Friedman's Cold Fire Trilogy is awesome and Gerald Tarrant is indeed one of fantasy most unforgettable characters. The ending is very memorable.

Another author to try is China Mieville and his world of New Crobuzon very grim and industrial imagery with interesting yet bizarre characters. I really do not know what to label his book as sci-fi or fantasy. Some readers may not be able to digest this one. It's like H G Wells on acid.

Highly recommend Neil Gaimen's 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods'. This is the former DC Comics writer of the Sandman and Death series.

Tad Williams' Memory of Thorns and Sorrow. Very slow paced initially but well worth reading.

Also enjoyed both of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Convenant series. This another series with some great surprises.

Can't recollect anymore by memory that stand out in the fantasy genre.

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:53:59 AM
Im in the middle of George R.R. Martins - "A Clash of Kings"
right now. (The Imp- I love that lil' dude)

Another good read is Janny Wurts "The Wars of Light and Shadow" series is a good start. (I do believe she does her own artwork too for the covers).

(good run down too, btw Shawn) :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:04:54 AM
Who wrote Magician? I loved that book. That's what I based DT's original powers of.

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:05:11 AM
Tyrion Lannister is da man.. er da dwarf. I agree with you, Hera. He is a riot!

I also like Sandor Clegane, Oberyn Martell, Sword of the Morning (Arthur Dayne), Bronn the sellsword, Barristan Selmy, Qhorin Halfhand, Khal Drogo, the Stark children including the bastard Jon Snow, Jeor Mormont, Maester Aemon, Jojen and Meera Reed, The Kingslayer (Jamie Lannister), Dany Targaryen, and more.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:06:25 AM
I adore GRRM...I am waiting anxiously for the fourth book. A Clash of Kings is great, and if one wanted, there IS an RPG Ezboard out there based on The Song of Ice and Fire series. You can get there from the main website for the books. I don't recall the ezboard name though.

Jordan I loved...but its getting too dang long, too complicated (even for me!), and the Forsaken AREN'T STAYING DEAD! Now, that is frustrating. I think the next book is supposed to be the last one? Now...where have I heard THAT before...? ;) Still, hope he gets it done and written so I can find out how it ends.

Stephen Lawhead is an excellent writer as well, I've read The Song of Albion series about ten times. OK maybe not that many times. Also, In the Hall of the Dragon King, The Warlords of Nin, and The Sword and the Flame. The first series of fantasy I think I ever read, besides C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, and of course LotR and The Hobbit. Dream Thief, a sci-fi novel from Lawhead was fascinating. Edge of my seat reading, the best kind. I love books that make me read them until 3 am because I HAVE TO FIND out what happens next.

I think I'll have to check out The Coldfire Trilogy. Robert Jordan should have learned that the best series' are trilogies, and stopped after three books. ;)

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:23:41 AM
Here is the link to the George R R Martin board: A Song of Ice and Fire (http://pub26.ezboard.com/basoiaf)

Shawn
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:25:14 AM
Oh yes - Neverhwere certainly crossed my mind as something to put on the list. I just hesitated, since it's difficult to classify it as "Fantasy" (at least, in my mind). It's offers a engagingly surreal view of the world around us. Definitely one of my favorite books of all time.

Also, if you like Gaimen's books, I definitely suggest reading the "Death" comics. While some people sing the praises of the Sandman comics, I always found the Death ones much more engrossing. Death is not portrayed as a cloaked man with a scythe who is regretful about his job, or who takes joy in it. Death is a young girl who just does her job because she has to and who genuinely loves living.

I have a theory about Jordan. That being this: His works are only so popular because it seems that Eye of the World is the first fantasy book most people read. So they're introduced into this wonderful world of magic and mystery by Mr. Jordan's books, and they get it in their head that he is the "end-all, be-all" of fantasy. I can't count how many times I've heard things like "Yeah, I love fantasy! I've read all of the Wheel of Time! What? What other fantasy books have I read? Well... I read the Hobbit when I was little."

A decent series from a new author is "The Banned and the Banished", the first book of which being Wit'ch Fire (http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y03Y5983599Y6564141/qid=1017649778/sr=1-1/103-2588275-6251004). It's not terribly original, but it's certainly a great first effort. But (as you'll see mentioned if you follow the above link), Clemens tends to add "lots of un'necces'ary apos'trophes".

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:27:15 AM
yes Tyrion - cracks me up completely! I like Jon Snow too, and Robb Stark so far. The Others scared the bejeebus outta me in the beginning - what a creepy concept. Clegane - he's the hound right? Yeah I like him too. I think Im gonna like him more and more as it goes along.

I cant stand the rest of those Lannisters though..

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:39:02 AM
Yes Sandor Clegane is The Hound. Blotted out some of the general information on this character so as not to spoil it for any that has not read the series. Fine for Hera and others though. Yes, Sandor is nothing but a 100% whoop -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-. His attitude towards life is so honestly blunt and straightforward with a hint of psychosis. One of my favorite characters in the series.

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:41:51 AM
Yeah its true, Novi. (I dont know how to do the blocking thing so cant say much more) but in his own twisted way he has a personal standards or views that dont bend for anyone.

Shawn
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:47:17 AM
I dont know how to do the blocking thing so cant say much more
text goes here

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:49:56 AM
Thanks, good-lookin!

:D

SeanDMan
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:42:54 AM
Spoiler text is one of the things that keeps me here.

That, and Hera. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:46:46 PM
Tyrion is one of the best character's I've read in a long time. The Hound I love, and Arya I adore (name seem familiar? ;)), and the Lannisters I love to hate.

Jon Snow - :) And all the Starks :cry I love them! But George has a habit of making things the worst they can get...and then MAKING EVERYTHING WORSE again! Augh! Keeps me turning pages though. Wait until you read the third book, Hera, I'm waiting to talk about it with you when you get through it. :):)

Champion of the Force
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:13:22 PM
Anyway, no one's going to stop anyone from doing a RP that's fantasy based here, I think. As long as it's clear it doesnt affect everyone else, is anyone really going even care? Doing something fantasy based might be an interesting change.
My comment was in response to the proposal of a fantasy RPG forum being set up here.

Like you said I don't think anyone would mind if some people did some fantasy RPG here (so long as it was clearly labelled), however I think setting up a forum specifically for this is a bit much.

Shawn
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:16:56 PM
Precisely what I was trying to say in my lengthy rant, Dave. ;)

Champion of the Force
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:50:45 PM
Precisely what I was trying to say in my lengthy rant, Dave.
Yeah yeah - I kind of skipped over it due to its length. :p

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:16:37 PM
I know LD ...I hate when GM does that. Just when things cant be any worse, suddenly they are. I never feel safe reading those books, which I guess is good :)

Well, I will try to hurry and get the 2nd and 3rd ones read. Im too sporadic these days. One thing I will say, is there needed to be more Drogo.

Tessa Rendahl
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:17:23 PM
Well but maybe there are already Fantasy RPG vBulletin boards or ezboards out there. Is there a vBulletin search to find certain subject matter boards?

Champion of the Force
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:15:02 PM
I missed this one:

Who wrote Magician? I loved that book. That's what I based DT's original powers of.
If that's the one with the character of Pug, Raymond E. Feist wrote it.

He's presently continuing his Krondor saga.

Well but maybe there are already Fantasy RPG vBulletin boards or ezboards out there. Is there a vBulletin search to find certain subject matter boards?
ezboard has a search which you can find via their main page somewhere. Don't know of a similar one for vBulletin though.

My suggestion would be to go to a search engine like Google or Yahoo and and do a search on fantasy boards.

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:00:32 PM
Khal Drogo the Dothraki Horselord is an awesome character and found their barbaric society interesting.

To Arya Ravenwing and anyone else that has completed all the books in the series thus far... Arya during the ACOK was given the coin by Jaqen H'ghar, one of the Faceless Men, and told the words Valar Morghulis. And towards the end of the ASoS she makes her way to the port giving the captain the coin and whispering the words "Valar Morghulis". The captian set sail for Braavos and we will likely see Arya trained as a Faceless Assassin. I also believe Coldhands will be the lost Benjen Stark or will know what became of him. Young Rickon Stark has not been mentioned either, last we heard he was delivered by Osha to Greywater Watch under the care and protection of the crannogmen and Lord Howland Reed. No doubt we will also witness Bran Stark's warg powers grow stronger. The next book is going to be another kicker!

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:02:05 PM
aww man...Im so tempted to read that spoiler script.....

gah...........!

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:06:17 PM
Nope.. it will spoil your reading! ;)

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:07:08 PM
*goes crazy*

Novi Paran
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:45:00 PM
GRRM is also going to introduce two new major characters in 'A Feast for Crows' due to be released this fall.

DarthHERA
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:05:20 PM
boy, I really better get crackin.

Janny Wurts was supposed to release the 4th in the series of Light and Shadow last August...as at Christmas time, it still wasnt available. I need to check on that again.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:19:59 PM
Out of all the Riftwar stuff... it was awesome until after "A Darkness at Sethanon" (sp?) I personally feel he's worn himself out with the universe and should move on.

Mind you, havent' read that stuff in years, but IMO, the "Empire" trilogy was the best:

Janny's Wurt's influence helped make an absolutely amazing series of novesl.

Nakor RULES!!!

"Want an orange?"

Novi Paran
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:02:10 AM
Presently in my book pile is mostly science fiction which many of you would likely appreciate:

Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God fantasy quintology. (presently reading and enjoying it immensely)

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Blade of Tyshalle and Heros Die by Matthew Woodring Stover

Belarus by Lee Hogan

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo

Time Future by Maxine MacArthur

The Meek by Scott Mackay

Starfish by Peter Watts

Sorry about being a lazy bum by not linking each one to Amazon.com .

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:15:50 AM
Lazy Bum!

And A Feast For Crows --- I CAN'T WAIT! Also (Hera, LOOK AWAY) what do you think is going to happen with Catelyn Stark, now that she isn't dead anymore (but looks icky..yuk!)..and Sansa!? I hate Sansa, she's stupid. And Arya becoming a Faceless Assasin, the thought is awesome! I love these books. Still wondering what Danerys is up to, though. I can't decide who I think is going to come out on top in the end of the series. Or even who I WANT to come out on top at the end. :D

Novi Paran
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:13:28 AM
Ravenwing, Here is my guestimates beware MAJOR spoilers.... Yes, it appears Catelyn suffered the same fate as Beric Dondarrion that is being resurrected for the purpose of vengeance by the god of light, R'llhor. IMHO, Catelyn and the Brotherhood without Banners will stay in the riverlands striking continuously at Late Walder Frey's forces for the hideous Red Wedding and betrayal of King of the North.

Roose Bolton aligned himself with the Freys and Lannisters earning himself the title of Warden of the North which Nedd once held. He is going to have his hands full with vengeful Northman, Ironmen, and Crannogmen. And I wonder what course of action Stannis Baratheon is going to take at the Wall, what will it be north or south it? The Iron Throne basically sent Roose on his way without any promise of support. And let's not forget Ramsey Bolton who is quite capable of kinslaying.

Now onto the topic of R'llhor, is Thoros of Myr a true prophet of R'llhor while Melisandre is a Shadowbinder counterfeit? That remains to be seen but there are hints that Melisandre is misinterpreting her visions.

Sansa is aggravating dolt of b**** especially during the Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. Sandor is very fond of her and I am wondering if there is a possible way for him to rescue her from Littlefinger. That is if Sandor survives the serious wounds he suffered after slaying Polliver, the Tickler, and that third guy. I would hate to see this character go! I have no clue what future lies for Sansa other than the fact she is believed by the Lannisters to be only surviving Stark.

Arya is presumed lost and dead, Lannisters resorted to a counterfeit used to bind Roose with a false marriage. Rickon and Bran are believed to be slain with their heads on stakes (actually mistaken identity and were the children that lived at or near the mill). Rob Stark of course perished at the Red Wedding. All titles and deeds of the Starks were removed by the Lannister controlled Iron Throne.

I think Dany will not land on Westeros until the fifth book A Dance with Dragons where I feel it is highly possible she will strike an alliance with Dorne. Who could stop with her and the dragons if she has Dorne behind her?

Give me some feed back!