PDA

View Full Version : A comp question..

Alpha
Mar 29th, 2002, 02:40:12 PM
Ok, from what my dad says, the reason I couldn't use the same case I had my P1 in for my P3 was the size of the heat sink on the chip. so I was wondering if the sink on the 4's get bigger then the 3's. If they do then I need a new tower case. If they don't...:) Some help? :D

Sumor Rayial
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:16:29 PM
Well you either have a really small case or a REALLY big heat sink.

I have a P3 and the sink and fan on top of it don't come close to even touching the other side of the tower.

Size of towers usually have more to do with fitting motherboards or so that you can gain more slots for hardware. I believe full sized towers are 3 small slots (floppy/zip drives etc) and 4 large slots (CD ROMs etc).

I could be wrong though. Hardwares never been my strong suit.

Khendon Sevon
Mar 29th, 2002, 04:04:20 PM
Full Towers vary according to use, but they usually have more than three 5.25"'s I think.

Mid Towers are what most people have, they're the ones with three 5.25" and two 3.5"

In order for you to fit a p3 into your case, unless it's odd, it'd have to be in ATX form factor, because that's what the motherboards are in.

My Tbird's heatsink/dual fan combo is titantic and still doesn't even go halfway across my case (but I have a mid tower in ATX form factor).

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 29th, 2002, 05:51:22 PM
Alpha, the real reason is that your more than likely have what is acalled an AT motherboard - it has a specifc power connection.

Newer systems use ATX - which has different connectors and different requirements to hooking up to motherboards.

Now, power supplies can be changed - but it's not really worth it.

The processor is packaged differently in the P3 as well.

That's the very, very basic reasons.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 29th, 2002, 08:29:02 PM
Yeah... I could go all technical as to more reasons etc... but it would prolly be lost on ya =[

Miryan no Trunks
Mar 30th, 2002, 06:01:07 AM
Well I feel sad now. My tower's got a cd-rom, a burner, a 3.5', and another 3.5' slot that nothing can go in due to the second hard drive.

Hell, thy name is Compaq

Alpha
Mar 30th, 2002, 07:34:29 AM
Thanx for the help guys!