View Full Version : We lost two of the greatest comedians yesterday

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:45:09 AM
Not sure if anybody else heard but both Dudley Moore and Milton Bearle (Uncle Milty) both past away yesterday. Moore was 66 and Bearle was 93 both will be missed.:cry

Figrin D'an
Mar 28th, 2002, 03:45:40 AM
I knew that Dudley Moore was not well, and that the past few years he had been confined to a wheelchair and had lost the ability to speak... while most of his best work was done a bit before my time, I know well of him.

Milton Bearle was an entertainment landmark... I really don't know how else to desribe him. His career spanned over 80 years... on CNN.com, it pointed out that his first film credit was in 1914 and his last was 1999. That's just amazing... and, of course, TV was where he was best known... he pioneeered the comedy hour, complete with guest stars and comic sketches. He made people want to buy TV sets when they first came out... that's how influencial he was.

Both will be missed. :(

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 28th, 2002, 06:55:54 AM
First film credit in 1914?!?!

You mean he was in silent movies????? Wow.

Jinn Fizz
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:19:36 AM
Yup, Berle was in silent movies as a child...a couple of channels showed a clip of him in a Charlie Chaplin movie, where he was annoying Chaplin and Chaplin whacked him in the face.

Such a sad day, two so very funny men leaving us within hours of each other. :cry

Jedieb
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:49:10 AM
Two extremely talented and funny performers. Berle had an amazing television career. At one point he had 4 out of every 5 TV viewers tuning in to see his Tuesday night variety show. You'll NEVER see that again. He led a full life, something Moore's illness denied him. I feel quite sad for Moore and his family. His brain disease crippled him both physically and mentally. Worse, it struck him when he was in his early 60's and still capable of leading an active life. That's just tragic. :(

Jedieb
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:51:05 AM
One of my favorite Milton Berle jokes:

"I was laughing so hard I dropped my pencil."

Think about it, think about it..... got it?

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2002, 10:04:40 AM
I was on Hollywood Blvd yesterday and their was a HUGE wreath of flowers(white roses mostly) on Dudley Moor's star. All sorts on news crews were on the scene with camera's. I'm sure one got put on Milton's star too..but he died later in the day..and I was out walking around early afternoon.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:09:20 PM
I know I feel worse for Moore because he really was unable to lead a full life, Berle lived a great life and had a tremendous career.
Also I think I got that joke Jedieb:D

Figrin D'an
Mar 28th, 2002, 06:09:35 PM
Sadly, there is yet another death to report from yesterday. Late last night, Billy Wilder, a famous writer and director from the 'Golden Age of Hollywood,' passed away at age 95. He directed "The Apartment," one of my all-time favorite films. He also directed "Some Like It Hot," "Double Indemnity," "Sunset Blvd" and "The Lost Weekend," among others. One of the true greats of the movie industry... :(

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2002, 06:11:14 PM
I saw that too...almost went to his star today to pay my respects.

Jinn Fizz
Mar 29th, 2002, 12:02:42 AM
What a sick feeling it was to see the news online about Billy Wilder's passing. So cruel, really, for 3 men who contributed so much to the world of entertainment leave us within less than 24 hours of each other. :cry

Some Like It Hot...to me, the funniest movie ever made. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2002, 12:30:46 AM
I hadn't heard that, that is very sad.