PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Theater Lineup for E2

Leia1031
Mar 26th, 2002, 07:18:05 PM
If you're planning on seeing E2 at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, it's gonna be a bitch!

http://www.liningup.net/index.html

It's not being done by countingdown.com like it was for E1, but it's being organized by a group of people who waited in line last time.

The line starts in a week. April 6th. Now, I'm all for the enthusiasim of waiting in line and such, but that's more than a month! O_o

A bunch of us were planning on going, but now it's starting to look pretty grim.:\ I think we're gonna have to settle for some other theater cause this is just insane.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2002, 10:07:27 PM
My brother and I had planned on going. The Chinese is just over a mile from us..but I'm not sure about a month wait. :(

darth_mcbain
Mar 27th, 2002, 12:18:56 AM
One word for all these people lining up... FANDANGO!!! I can understand that there is definitely an appeal to lining up and waiting with fellow fans - its part of the SW experience, but I think some of this has gotten way out of hand... Waiting for a MONTH!!! Uh, don't you people have jobs!?!?!? I certainly hope to see Ep. II opening night, but I'm not lining up like that except for maybe three or four hours before showtime in the ticket holder's line...

Doc Milo
Mar 27th, 2002, 12:23:36 AM
Does the Chinese theater sell tickets over the internet? Buy them there, then bypass the line with a big grin on your face, sticking your tongue out at all those idiots who were waiting for a month! :)

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:09:10 AM
I'm not sure Grauman's sells tickets over the internet. Besides..where's the fun in that? ;) I'll see it opening day....just not the first show. I'm hoping maybe they have it on some of the screens in the Hollywood & Highland complex...even if it's not quite the same.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:25:25 AM
Fox is negotiating with the theaters to selling the tickets either a month or 2 weeks in advance, so that is how I am going, I am planning on attending a midnight show (hoping they still will be doing that around here) Would love to see it on DP theate but have no clue where the nearest one to me is:huh

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:44:59 AM
I am SURE the Chinese will have a midnight show. There's a good chance it might be not only on the Main "Chinese heatre"...but also on sevral screens inside the bigger complex. Only people that know LA will have any idea what I'm blabbering about. ;)

o2thx
Mar 27th, 2002, 07:02:32 AM
Hey what's up guys, my name is Peter and I'm one of the organizers for LiningUp.net.

Leia1031 - You are correct, countingdown.com is not doing the line again so a group of us from that first line decided that we would take over the organizational duties for this next line and that's how LiningUp.net started.

Let me clarify some things first. Just because we are starting our line over a month before the movie is released doesn't mean that people can't join us between the time we start till the final week. How can you settle for any other theatre than the main one at the Chinese!? That is one of my main motivations, that is my alltime favorite theatre.

CMJ - Like I just said, members of our line do not have to be there every single day for a month. You come when you have time and you wait in line. For every hour you wait, we keep a tab on those hours and by the time it's the last day, we tabulate all the people's hours and you are put in line according to how many total hours you have waited. That's similar to how it was done the first time with countingdown.com, but they used a point system. This time we are using an hour system. Wait 1 hour, you get 1 hour credit. And yeah, I know what you mean about the movie possibly playing on one of the newer 6 theatres in the Hollywood & Highland complex.

Darth McBain - Believe it or not, I am in college still as I was the last time. So I will be there at times and other times I will be busy with school.

Doc Milo - As Darth McBain said, lining up is part of the SW experience, and he couldn't be more right with that. The experience that we had doing the last line was something we all will never forget. It was one of the most awesome times I ever had. I made so many new friends and even to this day that line experience has benefitted me. I've had so many new opportunities since then. I've even been to Skywalker Ranch as a result of being in that line, through meeting a new friend. Now I have access to the Ranch when I'm up in San Francisco. That's just one of the many awesome things that have resulted from doing that line the first time. So you go right ahead and stick your tongue out at all of us "idiots" who have been waiting for a month, but I guarantee you, we'll have the last laugh! :)

Anyways, I just wanted to give you guys that info and I invite you to come to our site www.liningup.net and click on the "Get In Line" section on our menu and read the Rules and Guidelines, and you'll see that anyone can do it with us without having to be there for weeks on end.

Also, we are having a Meet & Greet gathering up at Universal's CityWalk this Saturday, March 30th, at 7pm. There's more info about that on our front page news.

If you have anymore questions, email me or post on our messageboard!

Darth Vader
Mar 27th, 2002, 08:20:59 AM
Peter, first off, hello and welcome to Swforums.net.

I'm a friend of Leia1031's, and I am one of the ones planning to go to Manns with her (and about half a dozen or more people). The trick is, I'm from Alabama (Roll Tide :)) and I won't be done with exams until May 11th. I'll touch down in LA on the 12th, and that leaves 3 and a half days at best (still not sure about timeframe). But essentially, it will be very difficult for people like me to make this 60 hour quota. I have wanted to do this since I was three years old, and I have a great group of friends to try with...I'm just very down in the dumps because of the time requirements.

If there is anything else I can do, or something....please let me know.

Thanks a bunch,
Charley

JMK
Mar 27th, 2002, 08:41:00 AM
Well, a month isn't as bad as those nuts in Seattle!

And welcome aboard Peter! Hope you enjoy the place and stick around! :)

o2thx
Mar 27th, 2002, 04:39:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

The reason we have the 60 hour minimum is this:

Imagine we have our line and there are other groups of people who are lined up behind us. Some of these other people, like you mentioned Darth Vader, will be lining up on their own for a few days perhaps.

Now, we recognize this fact and we decided that it would be completely unfair to those people who are lining up behind us if someone came to the line like a day before the movie comes out, donates the required $50 to our charity, and is in our line and in front of those other people who have been lined up for days if not weeks behind us. It just wouldn't be fair to those fans behind us who have been waiting.

We chose 60 hours because it is 2 1/2 days worth of lining up. This requirement is to be met by the 15th so in theory, it really adds up to 3 1/2 days worth of waiting, which we thought would be fair enough to those behind us. It prevents people from just showing up the last day and hopping in front with out group.

Darth Vader, if you'll also notice in the Rules and Guidelines on our site, we do give out bonus hours for those people who are traveling to the line from somewhere else. For every 100 miles traveled, you get a free hour, so keep that in mind.

But if you guys are planning on lining up on your own, that's completely cool too, let me know if I can be of any help.

Lady Vader
Mar 27th, 2002, 05:52:38 PM
Hey Peter. Glad to see you made your way here. I'm sending you a PM because I got a few question to ask you. In all honesty, they have nothing to do with this topic, but the questions are a curiosity of mine. :)

Charley: The 1 hour for every 100 miles would give you 25 hours jump, but for Hollie coming from Oregan on the 14th, well, she'd only get maybe somewhere between 5 and 10 hours. She wouldn't be able to make the quota by the 15th. Therefore, I don't think we can do the Mann's this time round.

And I ain't lining up behind a line of people that have wrapped around several blocks. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too depressing. I'd rather go to the AMC 20 in Torrance where I was first in line for E1.

Granted, it would have been fun to go to the Mann's, and we can always go see it there later during the time you are visiting. But for midnight opening night, I think our best bet is to just steer clear of Mann's.

o2thx
Mar 27th, 2002, 06:04:33 PM
Lady Vader - Just because you guys couldn't meet our quota doesn't mean you can't still line up at the Chinese Theatre! We are not that big of a line that we will take up the whole theatre, not even close!

If you got in line a few days before the release, you would most likely be able to get into the first showing. That's not guaranteed, but I'm pretty sure a few days worth of waiting would get you in the same first showing that we're lining up for.

So yeah, you would have long lines if you are planning on getting there the same day as the movie comes out. But if you plan on lining up a few days before, the line won't be around the block.

Lady Vader
Mar 27th, 2002, 06:25:12 PM
Well, alright. It is something to consider. though we wil be a group of about a dozen, so I hope it works. :)

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Mar 28th, 2002, 10:48:27 AM
Also, isn't there something about being able to donate hours to somebody? If so, I'm sure Hollie could make up for her hour deficiency! I mean, if not from the people in our group, then definitely from others in line. I mean...she's such a cutie, they'd have to.

o2thx
Mar 28th, 2002, 03:42:38 PM
Yes, you're right, friends can indeed donate some of their extra hours to another one of their friends in order to equal out the two and have them line up together.

There is a restriction to this though, people cannot pool hours together for one person just to get them in a higher position in line, that wouldn't be fair. The only way you can use this rule is to give hours to someone until the two of you are are equal and next to each other. It is a courtesy so that friends can go in together.

Darth Vader
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:22:24 PM
And you can come/go as you wish? Like somebody could stay in line for 5 hours a day, and still be able to do other things, like eat/bathe/socialize in other places. I only say this cause some people have parents who don't think the idea of living on a hollywood sidewalk is a good idea.

o2thx
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:29:03 PM
Yes, you can come and go as you please, no one is required to be there at any time except for on ticket day if they choose to buy tickets with us and the last 24 hours before the movie is out.

I used to come in my spare time all the time. Then when I was done I'd go home. Go to work the next day, come to the line after, go home, etc.

Leia1031
Mar 29th, 2002, 10:43:40 PM
Well, I have tons of questions about this, so I'll see you tomorrow at the meeting. :) Btw, how long do you think the meeting will last?

RoseLynne
Mar 29th, 2002, 10:53:16 PM
I hope we can work out something for manns cause in our group that wants to go there is about 12 -14 people and some from out of state coming in.

And Im one of those who's family is not keen on my living on a sidewalk. Or spending more then 24 hours (IE the day it comes out) waiting in line.

Leia1031
Mar 30th, 2002, 05:23:36 PM
Well, we've decided to by tickets for the Mann, but for the next day. Trying to get tickets for the midnight showing is going to be too much. There's only like 1 or 2 in our group of like 10 that can possibly gain hours.

Hey, I'm still for going to a midnight showing though. We'll either go to the midnight showing at the really nice theater near us or the digital theater. :)

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 07:23:17 PM
I stopped by the line today to get a flavor of it. There were a handful of ppl sittin' and chatting. I hung out for a bit, but felt kinda out of place since I'm not a true die-hard "liner". Nonetheless, it was cool, and I'll prolly stop by whenever I'm over on that part of town.

Leia1031
Apr 15th, 2002, 05:18:51 PM
Yeah, I wanted to stop by over the weekend too. Hey, we should meet up sometime since you live pretty close. :)

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:36:07 PM
Shoot me a msg Leia and we can trade numbers or something. :P

o2thx
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:47:41 PM
For those in the LA area, I'll be on 97.1 fm this Saturday evening, between 7pm and 9pm, during the Film Freak show. They want me to call in every saturday with a line update. I'll probably call around 7:30pm

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:56:34 PM
Coolness...thanks for the heads up.

o2thx
Apr 15th, 2002, 09:01:09 PM
By the way CMJ, I noticed your signature there from Gladiator. I run a Gladiator Messageboard that is one of the biggest on the net...
http://pub14.ezboard.com/bgladiator91519

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2002, 09:04:30 PM
I change my signature every week or so. :) Always a different movie...But I'll check out the board. ;)

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 16th, 2002, 02:23:54 PM
I'm sure Hollie could make up for her hour deficiency! I mean, if not from the people in our group, then definitely from others in line. I mean...she's such a cutie, they'd have to.

Damn straight! ;) I'm considering just hanging out and getting someone in line to buy me a ticket. :D And then I'll bring the other 9 people and ask, "Buy them one too?? puhleeeeze?!" ;) muahahahaha

Live Wire
Apr 16th, 2002, 04:17:26 PM
lmao more like the other 19

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 16th, 2002, 04:26:09 PM
Oh fine, invite MORE people! :p

Leia1031
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:30:00 PM
OMG! :lol I just realized that Arya Ravenwing was Hollie. DOH! :o Sorry Hollie! :wave Didn't recognize you in your costume. :D

Live Wire
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:04:47 PM
lol *pats tine on the head and gives her a cookie*

Mistress Tatiana
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:22:59 PM
A cookie! ::jumps up and grabs cookie:: :p

See... I have a costume too! :mneh

I still gotta put up my pictures and stuff though.

:rollin

Live Wire
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:37:30 PM
If you go as princess leia Im gonna kick your butt

Darth Viscera
Apr 17th, 2002, 10:37:41 AM
What do they do for a month to pass the time? Is that a star wars customizable card game? I never really could figure those things out. The CCG's, I mean.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:30:38 PM
:lol Hi Tine! ;) Silly. :D

Darth Viscera
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:37:48 PM
eh?

Lady Vader
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:27:32 PM
Hollie's just calling Tine a silly.

And as to the CCG... nooooooo clue how it works. :)