ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Jennifer Connelly
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SHREK
Aron Warner

ART DIRECTION
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin (Art Direction) and Brigitte Broch (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
LORD OF THE RINGS
Andrew Lesnie

COSTUME DESIGN
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin and Angus Strathie

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
MURDER ON A SUNDAY MORNING
Jean-Xavier de Lestrade
and Denis Poncet

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
THOTH
Sarah Kernochan and Lynn Appelle

FILM EDITING
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Pietro Scalia

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NO MAN'S LAND
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Directed by Danis Tanovic

MAKEUP
LORD OF THE RINGS
Peter Owen and
Richard Taylor

MUSIC (SCORE)
LORD OF THE RINGS
Howard Shore

MUSIC (SONG)
MONSTERS, INC.
"If I Didn't Have You"
Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

SHORT FILM -- ANIMATED
FORD THE BIRDS
Ralph Eggleston

SHORT FILM -- LIVE ACTION
THE ACCOUNTANT
Ray McKinnon and Lisa Blount

SOUND
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Michael Minkler, Myron Nettinga and Chris Munro

SOUND EDITING
PEARL HARBOR
George Watters II and Christopher Boyes

VISUAL EFFECTS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson

WRITING (ADAPTED)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Written by Akiva Goldsman

WRITING (ORIGINAL)
GOSFORD PARK
Written by Julian Fellowes

HONORARY ACADAMY AWARD
Robert Redford
Sidney Poitier

Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
Arthur Hiller

EDIT: Sorry Marcus for removing your previous list, but it just seemed easier to copy and paste the Oscar's page from Oscar.com rather than type them in individually. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 24th, 2002, 09:17:41 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH BHD!

ReaperFett
Mar 24th, 2002, 09:26:13 PM
BOO! BHD lost an award! BOO!

:)

Whoever was giving the animated award was great :)

Walt Disney Jokes, Al Gore Jokes.....the lot :)

ReaperFett
Mar 24th, 2002, 09:59:48 PM
AND BHD WINS SOUND!

2/3, and Director left :)

Jedieb
Mar 24th, 2002, 10:44:10 PM
Not surprised by MR's wins, the film LOOKED great. It looks like IRIS is picking up some significant acting nods.

It's nice to see Sydney P. pick up the honorary award. It's very well deserved. Great actor who had to put up with more crap than most can imagine.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 24th, 2002, 10:51:30 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
(BTW, can someone edit this as awards announced?) You must have forgotten my announcement in OOC.You have the ability to change your own thread title now. Remember the outrageous duration I put on it? :p

ReaperFett
Mar 24th, 2002, 10:57:07 PM
No, he went bed, so no more winners unless we edit :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 24th, 2002, 11:00:20 PM
No, he went bed, so no more winners unless we edit.
Went to bed? It's only mid-afternoon down under. :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 24th, 2002, 11:52:24 PM
Just updated Marcus' list - I've put all the yet unannouced ones at the top. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 12:02:20 AM
Man will this show ever end:x now they are tributing Redford. I was surprised that Newman won and happy, I couldn't believe he had been nominated 16 times and never won that was cool. I was surprised also that LOTR won best score but it seems to be doing a Star wars and winning nearly in the same categories, have to see what happens with the last two biggies.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 12:33:36 AM
I had to rush off to see a client. Back now :)

Next Year Peter. They wont deny LOTR forever.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 12:46:08 AM
Oh well it doesn't really matter, the worse part of the night was it lasted almost 5 hours:x Oh plus they had to put that child molester on there :grumble. I am glad Denzel won, sure I wish LOTR had won but oh well at least Moulin Rouge didn't win, also the two films tied for most oscars at 4 so no film really dominated the night. Still I think FOTR will be remember much longer than ABM which will be forgotten like Annie Hall has been and Star Wars is still remembered that to me matters more.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 12:48:23 AM
Exactly. ABM is fairly typical Oscars fair. FOTR will go down as another movie robbed in hindsight :)

But, Moulin Rogue! didnt win, that is good... That is Very Good!

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:26:46 AM
Oscar designed movie steals the show, again. Wow, what a shocker.

This is one of many reasons I really hate the Oscars. What is even worse than the poor selections is everything behind the scenes.. the multimillion dollar PR campaigns etc. Did you know ABM was promoted as an Oscar frontrunner before it even had opened? Ugh.

Anyway, good thing it is a whole year until we see the same old crap again.

You have to excuse my negativity, I just cant stand the Oscars, and think the whole event is a farce. It is not really about what movies are the best, but who wears the most outragous dresses and the tear dripping or stand up comedian speeches. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:37:07 AM
its also all about Ego which is why I didn't like seeing Tom Cruise talk forever at the beginning (man his head must have gotten bigger) and the whole thing with Allen (did he plug a future film of his it sounded like it) and where did Smith go he vanished 2/3 of the way through, they had to show his picture instead, I just found that very odd. I also think the Oscars are silly because its just an opiniated contest and I agree with the late George C Scott's opinion that they are all winners (he said something like that when he said he refused to accept his award for Patton). And then its just too long why did they have all these boring tributes (I don't mean the 9/11 stuff which is fine) but tributes to movie score, visual effects, etc it just draggs it on to long, and they really need to cut out the documentary, and animated short awards, they can just list who won, it would save a lot of time.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:42:09 AM
How long did the show go for?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:47:00 AM
almost five hours (techinically 4.5 because they had this pre-oscar crap that took up a half-hour) it was longer than last year because I am pretty sure they handed out best picture sometime around 12:15 EST so it ran a half-hour longer than last year and 45 minutes longer than the time in TV guide (not as bad as 1999 when the show went on until 1 AM which was just plain ridiculous and I think Whoopi hosted it then maybe there is something bad about her hosting it man I miss Billy Crystal to me he was the best).

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:56:06 AM
Lets see.. overall, I think LOTR was majorly snubbed.

Art direction and costumes. Although MR looks great, it is really inferior to the scale of the sets and the quality costumes used in LOTR. Getting Shire, Rivendale, Lothlorien, Orcs, Nightriders and the fellowship on the screen are some real achievments. I just disagree with those, that is all.

Adapted screenplay and Supporting actor. Huh? What is the Academy thinking? Can they think?

Best Movie & Directing. Although, I think ABM was a good movie, it was nothing remarkable about the achievment. Just the plain ordinary Oscar frontrunner drama that seem to run every year. Directing is in particular an insult. If BHD won directing, I would have understood, but this is plain nonsense.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:01:31 AM
They also vote by favorites and I think that is why Howard won and why Crowe didn't win, (Washington is the more popular choice) It is really just a popularity contest which is another reason why not to like it.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:01:57 AM
I really agree the show is running too long.

I told myself I would not see Academy Awards, but I guess the curiousity got me.. although, I did expect LOTR to be snubbed. :)

Something interesting I noted. Two black acting awards in a row, now that is rare.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:02:02 AM
What I find absurd is - what else did ABM win? Not much really. It's major attraction was good acting of Crowe and if he didnt win.... then what's the point? When was the last time a Best Film too away so few awards?

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:03:40 AM
I agree, about the popularity contest. All the patting on each others back. Ugh.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:09:15 AM
That is excactly my thoughts Marcus. The major achievment of ABM was the acting of Russel Crowe. He carried the movie. You would be hard pressed to find anything outstanding element about the movie that deserved to win any Oscar. The movie is all around a good movie, at times very good, but everything spins around Crowe. I find nothing spectacular about the directing for example, and yet it won.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:09:43 AM
Something interesting I noted. Two black acting awards in a row, now that is rare.

Rare?

Yog, it's never happened. The amount of Black Acadamy award winners nearly doubled tonight.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:11:12 AM
Schindler's List was the last one I can think of that only won Best Picture, Best director, Best screenplay and best score. Though Gladiator didn't win to many last year (5 maybe) and Braveheart only won about 4 or 5 so I guess there has been more than a few, still Braveheart, Gladiator and Schindler's List are different kind of films. Two are huge epics and the other is a touching holocaust film, ABM is just a Crowe vechicle.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:13:19 AM
Makes you wonder if they did it for that reason. I actually thought Denzel deserved like Pacino did a few years back, Berry I am not sure about but it is surprising that she won when Specek had been the front runner until now.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:17:13 AM
Marcus: That sucks. One would think Hollywood had some good performances from black actors over the years.

JMC: Yeah, that is really weird to think of, yet it wins both directing and best movie. That does not seem right to me.

Figrin D'an
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:20:43 AM
Yeah, but seriously, do you think that the Academy would pass up the opportunity to give the acting awards to a black actor and actress on the same evening that they honor Sidney Poitier, the only other black actor to win a major acting award, with a Lifetime Achievement recognition?

Like Denzel said, "Looks like we killed two birds with one stone."

Don't get me wrong... I think Denzel deserved to win over Crowe, and I know Halle Berry's performance has been very highly acclaimed (I haven't seen Monster's Ball, so I can't judge myself), and Sidney Poitier is an incredible actor. It just seems like the Academy used tonight as a way to remove the accusations of 'racism' in an emphatic way.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:22:26 AM
yeah well it doesn't really matter to me the Oscar to doesn't make a movie great or a classic or even something I will watch movies like the English Patient and the Last Emperor both come to mind (I found both films boring POC) And also the Academy doesn't even consider two major genres Comedy and Scifi-Fantasy. Name the last Best Picture winner that was a comedy and its been a while and for that matter comedics actors never win and to me comedy is harder than drama, its harder to do that is why there are more terrible comidies that bad dramas. Sure they could add a seperate category and include those two generes in it or something but they won't do that.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:22:38 AM
I think Howard won Best Director because of the "Well, you got robbed a few years ago, here's your peize now". Last year, that's why Crowe won. Gladiator was good, but he was robbed blind the year before. So he was given a "Sorry about that" award IMO

It's liek the Acadamy says to Howard "Right, here's your award, now b*gger off". That's just not right.

It can be argued ABM was a better moive that LOTR, yes. I do NOT believe however, what Howard did in any way matches Jackson's achievements. Not. one. Bit.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:24:11 AM
JMC: You could be right. That is another problem I have with the Oscars. Awards are sometimes given because they are 'overdue'. IMO, an award should be given on a performance merit, not looking backwards. Either a movie or actor should win, or it should not. Making conciderations like that makes the award less dependable. Obivously, black actors should have won a lot more frequently historically, rather than catching up now. From what I heard, Denzel did a good job though.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:30:33 AM
I think that has happened a lot Pacino comes to mind in the past, I think Ford might be next (he is doing this tear jerker of a movie filming now I think not sure when it will be ready, maybe for next years oscars) I think they did it tonight with Howard and Washington. As far as next year it will be interesting to see how it works out have no idea what else is coming out though the FX cateory will be a fight between TTT and AOTC, that would be my guess. Also I am not sue if TTT will get nominated in the big categories (I mean it could if the Academy decides to say, oh we owe you this for last year) or it might just get the techincal awards and fight it out with SW.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:33:57 AM
If the Acadamy does an IOU, it will be in 2004, presuming ROTK is good enough to be nominated

ReaperFett
Mar 25th, 2002, 07:35:20 AM
I agree, about the popularity contest
What else can you call a vote? :)

Come on, you won four Oscar's, stop complaining :)

JMK
Mar 25th, 2002, 09:10:39 AM
I think Howard won Best Director because of the "Well, you got robbed a few years ago, here's your peize now".

Kind of like A Clockwork Orange getting best picture when 2001 didn't get much recognition.

darth_mcbain
Mar 25th, 2002, 09:24:24 AM
I thought it was a decent show, but overall way too long. Whoopi was alright as host, but Billy Crystal was missed - nobody can host it like him. I thought it was great that they honored Sidney Poitier as well, a great actor in less than ideal times who really shone through. I think the low point for me was Halle Berry's acceptance speech. It was good at the beginning and I was happy to see someone expressing some genuine emotion, but then it just seemed to go on and on without a whole lot of direction (...and I'd like to thank the doorman who opened the door for me last week...)

Although, that couldn't have been the absolute low point - that honor has got to go (as it does with me every year) to Joan and Melissa Rivers - am I the only one who thinks they're both a couple of idiotic losers?

ReaperFett
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:10:19 AM
First oscar Ceromony where a winner says "Stone the crows" :)

Super Wookiee
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:23:48 AM
LOTR should have gotten Best Picture, just by the odds, seeing it had the most nominations by far. I can let that category go. The one that really pissed me off is Best Adapted Screen Play. LOTR was the story that Kubrick said could not be adapted. Its one of the greatest books and most loved stories of the last century.....and Jackson pulled it off very well.

darth_mcbain
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:13:27 AM
I wonder if they are just holding off on giving out too many awards to FOTR as there are two more movies coming out. They may not want to give the first one too much, because then if the next two really rock it might seem like a favoritist thing going on, that they only vote for LOTR movies. I think they are trying to spread some of the wealth around with those movies, and that TTT and ROTK will likely cash in on some awards themselves.

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:36:42 AM
Overall I was really pleased with the way they turned out. Some comments....

First off ABM's 4 wins is the least victories for a BP winner since "Driving Miss Daisy" in '89. The awards were VERY spreaad out this year.

Best Picture: My favorite of the nominee's(by far) won the award. I was very pleased for Howard and Grazer.

Best Director: You say Howard did an |"ordinary" job? Coaxing great performances out of actors is half the task of directing. I would've voted for Ridley Scott...nonetheless, Howard's win is well deserved.

Also, my favortie of the actresses nominated won(Berry was fantastic). BHD won 2 well earned awards. It was GREAT seeing Newman win, his standing ovation was very sweet. At 4 hours and 23 minutes, it was the longest show in history, but I for one thought it moved at a fairly decent pace.

I'll post more later. I love the Academy Awards. :)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:46:53 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

What else can you call a vote? :)

Come on, you won four Oscar's, stop complaining :)

Hehe, actually, I could complain a lot more. The problem is not when LOTR 'only' receives 4 Oscars. The problem is when it loses to candidates that by rational comparing are evidently weaker. Do you hear me complaining about LOTR losing out to BHD? Of course not, BHD was technically a good movie. Both the sound and editing was very good. I fully understand and respect that decision, even though I was hoping LOTR would win. When the competition is tough, it is ok to lose. When the competition sucks, it sucks to lose.

About popularity contest: What I mean by popularity contest is when the popularity is based on other arguments than those supposed to settle the vote. Example1; Director is popular and respected in the movie business, so the movie wins award on basis of the director's popularity rather than the the qualites of the movie. Example2; Actor is popular, so he wins award because it is 'overdue' regardless if there are better candidates. Example3; Director, producer or actor is unpopular, so the movie suffers in other categories.

Basically, wether one or several persons affiliated with the movie are popular or not should not affect voting. If I watch a movie to review it, my critisism should be affected by the movie's or actor's performance/effect, rather than what reputation they have. Would it made a difference if say Steven Spielberg was credited for directing Lord of the Rings instead of Peter Jackson? Perhaps. Would it made made a difference if Denzel Washington allready won lots of Oscars and Russel Crowe had not gone bananas the Golden Globes? Possibly, if not probably.

What does the above conciderations say about the quality of the movie/performance? Zero, absolutely nothing. Yet, these seems to be relevant factors at the Academy Awards. IMO, that lowers the credibility of the award.

I am not interested in who is 'popular', I just want to know if the movie is good or not.

Hope it is clearer now. :)

Super Wookiee
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:11:01 PM
"I wonder if they are just holding off on giving out too many awards to FOTR as there are two more movies coming out"

I doubt it. I suspect they will pass over the others as old news. which is good news for Episode 2 in the Tech categories. Maybe McKellen will get recognized or even Wood in the future, but i wouldn't cross my fingers now.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 01:41:09 PM
I agree about the Popularity thing with you Yog, and that is why the Oscars usually but not always work out this way (there have been exceptions Silence of the Lambs comes to mind) it sucks but there is nothing we can really do about it but just hope that LOTR gets it due in the Sci-Fi Fanasty awards which I think are next month. To me FOTR was the best film from last year I don't care what the Oscars say.

CMJ, are you sure Driving Miss Daisy is the only one to win 4 in recent years? I could have swore that Schindler's List only won four (I know it won nothing in the acting categories) unless it won some techinical award that I am just not aware of.

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:26:17 PM
Carr..."Schindler's List" won 7 awards I believe. I should know..it's my all-time favorite film. :)

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Cinematography
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Score
Best Film Editing
Best Art/Set Direction

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:32:05 PM
Jackson was dudded and udded badly. Howard just did a fairly standard, but pretty good movie. The moive was carried by Crowe and was a vehicle for him. Now, I think Crowe is going to become known as one of the best actors of our time, but I just cant see what Howard did that is better than the epic Jackson produced.

LOTR is just so much bigger and grander in scope. Gah. Jackson has every right to feel robbed.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:34:36 PM
I didn't realize it won all those techinical awards that year, I guess I just forgot, I just remember that Schindler's List won the most and Jurassic Park finished second that night nothing else won more than one I think.

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:46:55 PM
Okay...the year of '93. These are the ones OTHER than Spielberg's masterpiece. :)

Best Actor: Hanks for "Philadelphia"
Best Actress: Holly Hunter "The Piano"
Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones "The Fugitivie"
Supporting Actress: Anna Paquin "The Piano"
Costume : "The Age of Innocence"
Song: "Philadelphia"
Original Screenplauy "The Piano"
Make-Up: "Mrs. Doubtfire"
Sound: "Jurassic park"
Sound Effect Editing: "Jurassic Park"
Visual Effects: "Jurassic Park"

Jedieb
Mar 25th, 2002, 08:56:02 PM
Ah, the monolithic Academy, why does it torture us? ;)

You know what I'd love to see one day? I'd like to see the actual results published. Then we'd know just how close some of these races were. I bet MOST of those winners walked away with statues with less than 40% of the vote. There may be lots of politicking going on behind the scenes, but these are still individuals voting. Somebody may schmooze you to get your Best Picture vote, but they could care less about your Best Screenplay vote, especially if their movie isn't even nominated in that category. It's a wide open vote year after year with 5 choices for every category, there are bound to be surprises.

Man would I love to see those results!

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:55:13 PM
Yeah Jedieb..every year people clamor for the results to be published. Or some of the older years if the Academy wants to delay going public(like presidential tapes how they get released like 30 yeas later at times) would still be fascinating.

Some of the years(especially last year) would be fascinating to see how close certain votes were. It'd be interesting to see by how large a plurality some of the upset winners have won by as well. Of course...the Academy will never release the results. To my knowledge only Price Waterhouse even KNOWS the resluts. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2002, 12:16:54 AM
I would like to see them too, I am sure one day they might get released, wouldn't know why the Academy would think it such a big deal really, as long as they didn't release who voted for who.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2002, 12:20:45 AM
I think they wouldn't wanna embarrass who ended up in 5th place to be honest. Like if they got no votes..it would be pretty depressing. :)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 26th, 2002, 02:29:49 PM
If the votes of best movie included a ranking of the nominees at #1-5, you would be able to compare the top two movies better, how they rated against each other. That way, votes spread out to niche movies would not cause a movie that is generally better liked to lose. It would also eliminate the problem of losers statistics, because you could announce a finale percentage of the leaders, say there might be a 52/48 percentage advantage to LOTR versus ABM.

Example of ballot:

1. Moulin Rouge
2. Lord of the Rings
3. A Beatiful Mind
4. Gosford Park
5. In the bedroom

In the above example, even though the vote goes to MR, LOTR would be better ranked than ABM.

Anyway, I hope some numbers will be published in the future, because it is annoying not to know when there was a close race.

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:31:15 PM
Nah..the Academy will never release the results. I think they enjoy the mystery of it. I'd venture to say none of the Academy members even know how close the votes are. Only Price Waterhouse(that independent firm who tabulates ballots) even see's them. To my knowledge PW keeps the ballots sealed(after they've been counted of course) for like 10-15 years and then destroys them...or so the urban legend says.

ReaperFett
Mar 27th, 2002, 11:18:05 AM
WILL SMITH UPDATE

Someone asked where he dissapeared to? Well, he went home to his kid, who had an infection of some sort. He wanted to attend the ceremony, so went for a few hours.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:38:46 PM
I had heard that the other day but forgot to mention it, I really don't blame him his child is easily more important than some stupid award.

ReaperFett
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:53:19 PM
Yeah. He DID at least bother to show for a bit at least, its not as if he just wanted an excuse or something

Jedieb
Mar 27th, 2002, 10:17:29 PM
Good for Will Smith. If I were him I might not have shown up at all, but I guess he felt he needed to show because he was nominated.

Seeing those result would be interesting, but I seriously doubt will ever see them. If we did, then poor Marisa Tomei would have to give her Oscar to the real winner. ;)