PDA

View Full Version : An idea on how to drum up traffic

Shawn
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:01:13 AM
I noticed that the doman www.starwars.net is apparently not registered. We could always register it with a somebody like Namezero, and just set up a dummy index.htm which redirects it to here. It's a little underhanded, seeing as how the target audience would be people attempting to get to www.starwars.com, but the thought *did* cross my mind.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:03:21 AM
Go for it!

Shawn
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:05:51 AM
heh. I have to look into Namezero a little more after I get off work tomorrow. :) But I think it can be done. If not, I'm sure there's other ways to do something like that without paying for the hosting.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:09:42 AM
That sounds like a cool idea.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:13:06 AM
I wonder how much it would cost to just reg the addy and point it at this IP....hmmmmmm

Shawn
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:15:01 AM
Regging it would be about $13-15 yearly... a pittance, really. But I don't know how to make it simply point here.

Champion of the Force
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:15:20 AM
There isn't any legal issues or anything with it are there?

I remember back only a year or 2 ago that LFL went around shutting down fan sites that were using certain SW names (like BobaFett.Net) for some reason.

Considering those type of actions I wouldn't think LFL would be very impressed with the registration of www.starwars.net.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:16:30 AM
If there were, I would think that they would own it already. O_o

I'll try to investigate that tomight some Shawn, I'm pretty sure it can be done. Multiple URLs that point to a single IP.

Champion of the Force
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:19:08 AM
I would suggest a little more investigation into any issues that may arise from the registration of such a URL.

LFL might not currently own it, but judging by their success previously in kicking of fan sites from SW named URLs I would be very wary lest we also receive some unwanted attention. :\

Shawn
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:20:18 AM
Maybe I can e-mail someone at starwars.com and ask if it'd be alright for me to register the domain, just to be safe? I mean, I'm hard-pressed to think of any legal justification LFL could have used to shut down the sites, other than using copyrighted names.

Champion of the Force
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:22:17 AM
No harm in trying I guess.

JMK
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:01:16 AM
I have my doubts that you'll get away with it, but it is worth a try, most definetly.