PDA

View Full Version : Darth Penis???

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:38:03 PM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1326

Do we ban? His post is the LOTR thread was ok:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11382&pagenumber=4

... but c'mon - who would register a name like that if not a troll?

Darth Vader
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:51:22 PM
PM him, inform him of inappropriate username, and maybe then either have him get a new name, or if he refuses, then ban him.

ReaperFett
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:52:53 PM
I recognise his e-mail address. The name rings a bell.

JMK
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:59:41 PM
:eek That name has got to go! Even if he is the greatest poster ever!

Darth Vader
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:59:46 PM
(checks email address)

UGH...its Ceel.

Ban away, Commander!

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:07:50 PM
He's denied PMs and emails via his account, so I'm going to have to contact him via admins controls.

I won't ban (yet) but instead plan ignorant and offer to alter his name to something more appropriate.

Should I delete his post at all?

Pierce Tondry
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:13:23 PM
Not yet... that would play into his constant whining about how SWFans has Hitler-esque Mods. Playing the ignorant but helpful and tactful Moderator is the best plan.

If he starts to get obnoxious or plug his board, then put the screws to him.

ReaperFett
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:15:25 PM
He just told me to go home at TGC :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:19:48 PM
I have edited his options in the admin control panel so that he can receive PMs, get popups when PMed as well as receive notification of PMs by e-mail. I sent him the following message:

Darth Penis,

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to SWFans.Net, and hope you will enjoy posting here. :)

However I regret to inform you than your username is inappropriate for use on this board as details in our SWFans FAQ.

As administrator I have the power to alter usernames without having to delete the account. Please respond to me with another username you would like to use and I will make the necessary alterations (if possible).

Should you fail to respond or not wish to change I unfortunately will have no alternative but to ban your account.

- David (SWFans.Net Administrator)

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:37:58 PM
Update: according to the PM Tracking facility the PM I sent has been received and read. No rsponse thus far.

If he doesn't respond in another hour or 2 I'll ban the account.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:05:15 PM
I say if the posts made by the account were acceptable, leave them. If he fails to respond to PM or email, change the name to Darth Pen then go ahead and ban it.

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:08:59 PM
I doubt he will respond - the posts by Reaper, Sanis and Pierce on TGC have pretty much revealed we know who he was so I doubt he's going to bother responding back.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:13:45 PM
If he has done nothing to warrant banning, I say just rename the account and keep an eye on it then.

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:36:09 PM
Well I stated in my PM that a failure to respond will receive a banning.

In terms of the bigger picture, I think that might be a better way to go rather than editing a poster's account to something we deem more appropriate or want.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:37:07 PM
Alrighty, sounds like a plan.

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:43:12 PM
Username has been banned.

Since we won't edit the username, should I delete the post (the account has only made 1 from what I can see)?

EDIT: I suppose I should also ask the steps needed to do a banning? I simply placed the username in the 'Banned User' category. However how does one go about bannings such as e-mail and IP?

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:57:32 PM
Update: I went ahead and deleted the post. It was the only one made by the account and I felt it best to remove before normal posters see it and start commenting on it.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 20th, 2002, 08:06:40 PM
There is a banning options section in the Admin control panel. "vBulletin Options" is where you will find the section.

If the IP isn't AOL or WebTV. I usually just do the first three sets of numbers in the IP section. A space between entries is all that is required there.

I'm pretty sure that mods can also ban, but only on a username basis.

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 08:16:08 PM
Well I'll leave him 'username banned' for now. :)

Shawn
Mar 20th, 2002, 11:41:34 PM
I like banning by e-mail address, since most people don't have multiple e-mails that they use, or can't be bothered to register new ones just to troll.