PDA

View Full Version : Do you think my writing is sell-able?

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:15:02 PM
Easter is coming, and the Fett is getting bored :)

With my two weeks off, I am TEMPTED to try to write something big. As in, a novel. Not SW. Now, the thing is I would only try this if I honestly thought I had a chance of getting published.

Forgetting finding a publisher, my question to you is this. Is my writing good enough?

Lord Gue
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:39:44 PM
show us a sample of your best writing reaper, some of us might not have seen you at your level before. I aint seen anything of yours in a long time

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:46:43 PM
I haven't seen any of it. So please do show something. :)

Cirrsseeto Quez
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:48:53 PM
Personally, no.

Then again, I don't consider my prose worth somebody's cash, either. :\

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 16th, 2002, 06:55:49 PM
Anything is sellable. Look at some of the utter trash that has been out out as EU. It's not how good you are but how you sell yourself.

Which is a depressing thought

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:15:55 PM
So, "Who the hell are you?" twice(cant think of anything to show btw), a definate no and a very optimistic anything can work if I sell it right. Which I doubt I can :)

Think I need something else to pass the time with :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:08:18 PM
Fett, write it anyways. At least a first draft. And then you can review it, rewrite it, polish it, let others read it, etc. THEN I'll let you know what I think. :)

I think you can do whatever you put your mind to. And if you get one written, I'll join you with my novel I haven't written yet and we can read our rejection letters together. Everyone else will be jealous! :D

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:12:31 PM
Lol :)

Reminds me of how when I was picking my Uni choices, I was initially going to write to Oxford. Not o try, but so I'd have a rejection letter from Oxford :)

But I dont want to spend so long writing something if it is all for null.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:16:43 PM
Writing is a reward in itself. And if you DO want something to do with it, send copies to all family members as Christmas presents. Its evil, I know, but then at least the writing was for something! :D

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:18:46 PM
JUST SAY IM GOOD!

Sorry, my inner mind is demanding :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:22:50 PM
Fett you are sooooo goood.

And no, I'm not talking about your writing. ;) ;)

j/k I do enjoy reading your posts. :)

Jehova Eaven
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:26:22 PM
ew.... mental image! Get it out! GET IT OUT!

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:22:51 PM
Fett you are sooooo goood.

And no, I'm not talking about your writing. ;);)

j/k I do enjoy reading your posts. :)
I'm good, you're better ;):)

And I'm just not commenting on what Jehova said :)

DarthNuriko
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:32:01 PM
I think Jehova just telepathically gave me that image. x__X;; :lol

Kat Kariena
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:03:06 PM
*lol* Fett, if I can get some of my stuff published (and I know I've shown some of it to you), you deffinately can! ;) Plus, I've seen some of your writing, it's awesome! ^_^

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:10:25 PM
I personally dont think I have written anything lately that came up to the standards I set for myself 18 motnhs ago.

Hart
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:14:08 PM
Fett, I don't think your writing career will take off. When will you realize that you're just a pretty face?

Darth Viscera
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:20:42 PM
Write it, just don't show it to my english teacher, who will promptly declare you bombastic. I'm not bombastic! Grrr....

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 11:22:21 PM
Your English teacher is Shaggy? :)

Shawn
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:53:45 AM
Personally, no.

Then again, I don't consider my prose worth somebody's cash, either.Took the words right out of my mouth.

However: I do think you definitely could write a movie script. Your writing style seems to lean more towards that, anyway.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:55:43 AM
Ooh write a movie, and then I'll star in it. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:57:47 AM
I've got the camera's I'll film

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:06:18 AM
:lol

Darth Lynch
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:07:16 AM
Your one hell of a nice guy Fett but sorry.

Much as there are great writers here to get into the "big time" would require not only skill but a lot of luck, its doubtful even if many here dream otherwise someone will break through to the mainstream.

If they do would congrat them.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:10:06 AM
I got some of my writing published and sold, and II'm sure you all think I suck

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:11:27 AM
Lynch, use punctuation! Augh! My eyes! ;)

I think I understood that though. Thanks for the splash of cold water, now I understand what Momma meant when she said: "Don't dream big, little girl, you'll only get your heart broken."

:cry

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:13:04 AM
You can have my other heart

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:19:09 AM
Danke. :D Wait a minute, I don't know where that's been! eww! ;)

[Ice Age]Get that out of your mouth, you don't know where its been.[/Ice Age]

Darth Lynch
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:19:30 AM
Lynch, use punctuation! Augh! My eyes

You insulted me and killed my father. Prepare to die.

No wait.

I mean I'll think about it.

In other words no.

Maybe.

Daren Trevelan
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:13:43 AM
I'm currently in the process of typing up a novel myself, also non star wars related. There are a few things you have to watch out for Fett, such as punctuation, grammar, it's the little things.

The publishers never ever look at how well you write, that's for the editors to deal with. They look at the minor things, like typing "teh" instead of "the" or "he jumped over brick" instead of "he jumped over the brick".

But of course, it's best to be a good writer and be able to have puncutation and grammar.

Shawn
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:15:51 AM
Someone jumps over bricks? O_o

Lady Vader
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:53:13 AM
Jumping over bricks? I don't know about jumping over bricks, but I know about throwing em. :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:27:50 AM
However: I do think you definitely could write a movie script. Your writing style seems to lean more towards that, anyway
Stopped trying with that. Didn't make a single feasable plot in the two years I was trying.

I always said I wanted to be famous for doing something creative. I've ran out of ideas :)

Yuumei Okune
Mar 17th, 2002, 08:44:11 AM
I think it really depends.. I mean, some people write totally different for RPs than for stories and such. Hell, I know I do. I get very descriptive and more careful than when I'm just popping out some post. So.. I'd have to see an example if I were to judge you.

--Jumps over a brick-- ^__^

Gav Mortis
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:59:29 PM
I'm thinking of going into a writing career and coincidentally have been asking various sources about the difficulty of accomplishing such a dream. First of all, it is notoriously difficult to get anything published these days, publishers really are ruthless. However there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I've applied for a course from the Writers Bureau (www.writersbureau.com) to help me develop my writing skills in different areas of work; journalism, novel-writing, critical analysis, poetry, etc. and to help me have a better understanding of the process involved from innitial idea up to the day your work is on sale in book stores. I suggest you check it out - could help.

My personal advice to you is this, if it is what you truely want to do, then nothing can stop you - keep your head held high and believe in yourself. I'm not willing to condemn you with a "Yes" or "No" answer as these things aren't as black and white as that. Only you can determine the answer to your question. Just keep going for it, and good luck. :)

However, if you're going to do this for cash - forget it, plain and simple. But if it's a passion and something you will really enjoy doing, do it.

Garrett Blade
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:29:28 PM
Firstly, I'd like to tell Marcus to bugger off! If anybody's going to be behind the camera - it's me!

The first thing you'll need if you want to succeed in this business is confidence. Take me for instance - I'm gonna wipe the floor with the newest directors of my time - for the sole reason that I'm better than them.

See - confidence! (as well as a big head). But that's me. James Cameron has one hell of an ego - thankfully he's got the talent to back it up.

So don't ask if your writing is sellable - say that it's sellable. If you believe it is - then it is, so long as you put the effort in.

And don't give up on the scripts - I might have a proposition for you in the future, or vice versa :)

And DeVille, I know where to come when I'm directing my first movie :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:05:36 AM
I was told that I have talent in front of the camera.

:p

j/k Although I would really like to be an actress. But not like in Moulin Rouge, that would suck. O_o Ahem..I mean, it wouldn't be fun...I mean..well...I don't ..you see.. ah...um... >_< :lol :angel

Gorgja the Hutt
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:08:29 AM
:lol :lol :lol *Motions to Gammoreans guards with ysalamiri containers on their back

Toomba. Comma Neeta!

"Bring her to me. The Great Gorgja shall 'film' her!" ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:14:29 AM
:eek

:lol

Taylor Millard
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:52:32 AM
:angel :lol :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:28:59 AM
Most Hutts are into Spice. This one is in to home movies :)

Garrett Blade
Mar 18th, 2002, 05:42:58 PM
Well the Hutt can have the spice, and I'll take the sugar!

*grabs DeVille*

<FONT SIZE="7" COLOR="magenta" FACE="matisse itc">SHOOOOGAAAAA!!!</FONT>

Hyphenated
Mar 19th, 2002, 04:31:58 AM
Good NESS!

*gets grabbed*

Why hellooooo, Garrett! ;)

Pierce Tondry
Mar 20th, 2002, 04:11:20 PM
Getting back to the original topic...

Fett, I don't think you're sellable. Don't get me wrong, I like reading what you write... but most published fiction has a tendency to hook the reader into sympathizing with its' characters, and I don't get that feeling when I read your stuff. Yes, I laugh, yes I want to see the ending, but it's not "knock-my-socks-off" good.

In other words, it's good for a quickie. :)

We shall soon have a chance to see if my writing is sellable. The first bit of prelude to my Ibran Crissean story will soon be on the Net, although I haven't decided where it will be posted.

ReaperFett
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:32:06 PM
Actually Pierce, the way you described it, you made it sound awful :)

Jargon Chasseur
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:05:29 AM
I think your plenty good Fett. I just don't read much of your stuff, because of time restraints,. I don't read many threads I'm not involved in for that reason. But, I think you're good enough.

If you want to see proof that dreams come true in the creation business, read a book by Bruce Campell, of Evil Dead fame. It's about his life up until after Hercules. Sam Raimi knew Bruce and they made Evil Dead together, Sam was still a teenager I think. They did it with 90,000 bucks from investors in their city. They pretty much begged everyone. Now Sam Raimi is directing Spider-Man. :) Just translate that principle into writing. If a kid from Michigan can do that, you should have a shot. :)

The book's called:

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor

BTW, I'm writing a novel. Have been. Nothing to do with Star Wars. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:12:08 AM
Jargon, Mu sent me that book, signed :)

And I got the one before Evil Dead today, within the woods :)

Micheal Rashanagok
Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:35:21 AM
It all depends on what you want published Reap
Poems and ballads are easy
Speeches and essays are fairly easy
Novels and screenplays are next to impossible

It's not just your skill but largely social conections. Do yourself a favor: Write an essay. Get it published, you'll meet people... pimp yourself out. Be a shill. And you'll have that movie done in no time.

Jargon Chasseur
Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:45:47 PM
Neato, Fett-man.

Also, connections can come in rare forms. My father knows a lawyer(he works part-time as a process server) who does some dealings with a major movie making company. He said that if my dad would get one our scripts to him, and if he liked it, he'd recommend it to his buddies. Of course my scripts(that ware finished) are not my best work. Plus the offer was actually made for my oldest brother who's been polishing it ever since. For too long if you ask me. :/