PDA

View Full Version : New mod for Roleplaying - Yes or No?

Champion of the Force
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:09:54 AM
Ever since Pierce Tondry posted concerning how he will hardly be around anymore for roleplaying, some people have raised the question with me as to whether or not we're planning on appointing a new mod.

Already 1 person has admitted that they are interested in the position (I won't say who though :p).

So I thought I'd ask here and see whether there are any plans to appoint someone new for this area?

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:53:45 AM
I would say it would be a wise idea.

Was I to say a name, knowing Ferris doesn't want it, I'd say one of the TSOers(LW, LD, LV, Gav)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:11:27 AM
That was my motivation for starting this topic:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12462

To see if it was really necessary. From the responses I recieved, I'm not really certain it is based on the fleet RPers attitudes, but I do think a second moderator to help out is a good idea.

Shawn
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:36:08 AM
Well, Tondry was a fleet mod... so if we replaced him, it should of course be with someone who knows fleets. Based on strictly that, I think that either Varlon or Viscera fit the bill. However, I don't think I'd trust either of them with Moderator powers.

Champion of the Force
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:33:56 PM
But how much fleet stuff needs moderating? :huh

Pierce himself admitted that he hardly did any moderating during his time here, spending most of his time trying to organise a flet plan (which ended up being lost with his computer in the end).

Whilst on the subject of Pierce, will we be replacing him totally or is this merely going to be a 'fill in while he's gone' position?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:14:41 AM
It would be nice to hear from our fleet moderator on this.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:10:17 PM
Another moderator is a good idea but I am not sure, like some here, that specifically a Fleet Moderator is necessary. Course, Sanis needs to speak on this :)

I just think it would be better for us all to be RPing mods and then for those that have the know how on Fleets could be called on for any concern. Unlike me who has no idea on that matter :p

Shawn
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:03:29 PM
Well, lemme put it this way - if he Tondry admittedly didn't do much while he was here, then why do we need a replacement? :huh

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:07:30 PM
Good point, but if a mod isnt around then some players are probably going to want someone to replace him

Whether we do or not is of course up to us but it would be nice to have another person around to help if you admin guys need it. I know I havent been around much the last week only cuz it was my spring break and I am sick... still am >_<

Champion of the Force
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:32:35 PM
... if he Tondry admittedly didn't do much while he was here, then why do we need a replacement?
Probably not. I've just had a look at the thread Ogre linked to and it seemsa s though the Fleet RPers are fairly happy.

I merely raised the question because some people have asked me about it in private. If we don't need a new mod however then that's fine. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:39:45 PM
Honestly, things seem to be going well in the entire RP section, even OOC. I don't really think it needed. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:42:12 PM
It is amazing that things are quiet. It's a miracle methinks course that only means somewhere looming in the future means a squabble eventually lol -_-

Charley
Mar 17th, 2002, 09:54:32 PM
Everything is good for fleets :)

Sometimes I could use that elusive revised ruleset that Tondry has ;)

But I get by alright enough :)

imported_Eve
Mar 17th, 2002, 10:20:36 PM
Tondry MAY get his computer access back one way or another. And when he does, maybe he'll want his position again. Like you guys said, we don't need it, and no one is asking for it, so why rock the boat?

There is enough peeps here to watch over things methinks.

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:17:58 AM
The only thing I'd say is that the time where more will appear suddenly is getting closer, and that it may be worth having another JIC

Pierce Tondry
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:08:14 PM
Sometimes I could use that elusive revised ruleset that Tondry has

See, this is the reason I offered to e-mail the bloody thing to some people other than myself back in January. That way, if something like this happened to me, the total lack of progress wouldn't be totally on my shoulders. But no one wanted to take the responsibility for it. Shame on all of you for being so unmotivated on something that needs to be done.

I am half-sorry I ever offered to work on the thing in the first place. I think it is cursed, like the golden monkey statue I have in my closet.

Incidentally, I didn't make many changes when I saved in my hotmail account. The biggest thing I did was take out that whole tiered system of construction rules and replace it with more generic standards.

As to what I actually did as a Fleet Mod... well, more often than not I simply monitored new posts to fleet construction threads, comparing them with the rules specifics. That's what I was there for, right? That and monitoring fleet threads themselves, to see that everyone was being nice and playing fair, which I think was the case.

Anyway, I never found any discrepancies, and am of the opinion that the average Fleet RPer is sensible enough to follow the rules without a Mod staring over each shoulder. Until May hits, we won't really see a great frenzy of people hurling themselves into RP, so there won't be great need until that point.

The short form: my own personal suggestion is that you simply don't bother with it until things start getting beyond the ability of Charley to control them.

Champion of the Force
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:41:28 PM
Anyway, I never found any discrepancies, and am of the opinion that the average Fleet RPer is sensible enough to follow the rules without a Mod staring over each shoulder. Until May hits, we won't really see a great frenzy of people hurling themselves into RP, so there won't be great need until that point.
That sounds like a good plan. Roleplaying in general doesn't look like it needs a mod either.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:10:03 PM
Actually, my opinion is that the area in greatest need of consistent Moderation right now is the OOC forum. There have been a lot of junk posts there, as well as the usual passive-aggressive whining and bashing from various posters.

I like TSE, I really do. It's just some people in TSE that I don't like.

On an odd and unrelated note, I do have a certain respect for Rama. He seems to have his head on the straightest out of their experienced members.