PDA

View Full Version : Just a little thing I'd like to bring to your attention.

Garrett Blade
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:13:29 PM
In Vis's thread about the male (Howdy Elton!:)), he illegally (though I'll let this one slide) uses my trademark quote "Bitta nosh". Following this, Fett stigmatises him a "Garrett wannabe". This is the point I wish to bring to your attention.

The character, Garrett Blade, says a lot of wild and wacky stuff. However, he does not say anything like "Mmm...GIMME NOSH!" or "Woohoo, Ahha, Psh, Yoga!"

"Pointless thing to comment on" you may say, but not to me. You see, there's only rerally one thing that I have qualms with at SWFans, and thats what people refer to me as. Not so much on the boards, but on AIM. I have a real name, Peter. It is separate to the persona, Garrett Blade. Peter (that's me! Surprise, surprise! - no not Cilla, fool!) is a seperate entity with some things in common with Garrett but they are few and far between. The phrase "Bitta nosh" (I hate using it in a sane manner!) belongs to Peter McCoy, not Garrett Blade. Same way the AIM screenname's "Peter L McCoy" and "Nosh Christmas" represent Peter McCoy, not Garrett Blade. So in essence, Vis just became a "Peter McCoy wannabe".

Thank you for your time, I know reading this must be boring and you think me a sad bugger. But as long as you think of Peter McCoy as a sad bugger, and not Garrett Blade, for writing this post, then perhaps this post has served it's purpose...at least to some extent.

<CENTER>http://www.andrew-milligan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/roleplaying/sigs/garrett/darthlithgow.jpg</CENTER>

Gav Mortis
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:16:56 PM
I hate it when you're serious. :mad

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:17:38 PM
Surely the best idea would be to not use the name that everyone knows as you then.

Darth Viscera
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:18:29 PM
Actually, my Bitta Nosh is rather different than yours, Peter. You see, at the time of the post's writing, I was rather hungry and in need of a good bit of nosh. Note that my Bitta Nosh was multi-colored and not deep pink, which allows me to circumvent your trademark!

Peter's definition of bitta nosh differs from mine. In mine, I use the Webster's definition of nosh.

Gav Mortis
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:27:19 PM
Actually Garrett has used multicolors before - in one of those alphabet threads:

"B" as in "Bitta Nosh!"

The bitta nosh bit was multicolored. If you're gonna rip him off, at least give him his dues! :p

Taylor Millard
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:26:30 PM
:lol You guys crack me up! :lol

Live Wire
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:26:58 PM
awww poor Peter. Now that you've done your serious post for the year go back to your old wierd self

Lady Vader
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:47:45 PM
O_o

:lol

Completely hopeless...

Jeseth Cloak
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:31:00 AM
;; Writes Visc a parking ticket. ;;

Hm.

Champion of the Force
Mar 16th, 2002, 05:39:25 PM
All I'll say is that I wish you'd stop posting your signature (I assume that 'Wipe them out ... WOOHOO' image is your signature) in the actual body of your posts.

As a person who deliberately has signatures disabled to help speed up my browser (due to my dodgy connection) it's kind of annoying when people try to go around it and thus force me to see it. :x

EDIT: I just checked your profile and can see it isn't actually your signature. Still though I would prefer it if you didn't keep posting the image in your posts. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:14:36 PM
*squashes the Champion of the Force* ;)

*huggles Peter* :D

*goes back to work* :(

Jehova Eaven
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:27:55 PM
But its such a cool image....

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:43:26 PM
He has to do that as he has five different sig pics and doesn't know how to do an ActiveSig - besides it wouldn't work, the images are different sizes - hence he has no option to have his sig(s) any other way.

In fact, I remember Sorsha, when asking about her sig innitially here (as she uses different images in her sigs) to just include them within the body of her posts, she was advised to do this by a SWForums administrator, the same thing with Garrett. He is not doing anything illegal and although I'm sounding picky, I don't think it is fair of you to ask of something like that.

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:46:21 PM
Gav, it is as fair as him to ASK as it is for me to call Pete Garrett in OOC.

Ryu Warusa
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:50:33 PM
BTW, Pete, not to sound rude... but lighten up. Most of us know each other by our characters... its a roleplay environment, thats how it goes. Even in Vampire, my frineds still call me by Jehova or Ryu or whatever character I'm playing's name, even in OOC comments.

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:02:34 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Gav, it is as fair as him to ASK as it is for me to call Pete Garrett in OOC.

Don't get mystic on me again Fett! :)

Hate to give myself an excuse, but I have had a bit to drink so my wording mightn't be as to-thepoint as I'd hope - at least I know what I'm talking about (story of my life really!) :)

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:05:19 PM
Don't get mystic on me again Fett!
Sorry, didn't perform the Scouser Simplification :)

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:07:33 PM
Impossible. Mid-lander's chatter is about as simple as it get's. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:12:10 PM
Dont be silly. It goes, in order of intellegence

Midlander

George Bush(Dont hurt me, joke:))

Scouser

:)

Ona similar note, did you see Dead Ringers on Friday? :)

Garrett Blade
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:18:41 PM
Originally posted by Ryu Warusa
BTW, Pete, not to sound rude... but lighten up. Most of us know each other by our characters... its a roleplay environment, thats how it goes. Even in Vampire, my frineds still call me by Jehova or Ryu or whatever character I'm playing's name, even in OOC comments.

Well first of all, beginning a post with "not to sound rude" does not mean it isn't rude. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, and if I wish not to be called Garrett in an out-of-character situation, then I have that right, regardless of what the trend is amongst other people.

Okay, talking about a fictional charcter here, but it's the same situation. In Batman Returns, when a reporter calls Danny DeVito's character "Penguin", he replies with "A penguin is a bird that cannot fly. I have a name...Oswald Cobblepot." Same thing here. "Garrett" is a character on a roleplay board. I have a name - Peter McCoy. And like it or not, I wish to be called by who I am.

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:20:48 PM
But how will anyone know your name if you dont post with it?

Ryu Warusa
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:22:20 PM
alright alright, don't get snippety. Though I'm still going to call you Garret.

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:23:05 PM
Dont be silly. It goes, in order of intellegence

Midlander

George Bush(Dont hurt me, joke:))

Scouser

:)

Ona similar note, did you see Dead Ringers on Friday? :)

Indeed it does go in that order, but clearly the order of your list goes from least intelligent, (Midlander) to most intelligent, (Scouser). :)

Nope - didn't see it, never seen it. Why?

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:26:33 PM
Originally posted by Ryu Warusa
alright alright, don't get snippety. Though I'm still going to call you Garret.

He's serious about what he said y'know. He does take offense if people call him Garrett knowing full well his real name, thence he wont reply to your post and I think not adhering to someone's request like that, which to be perfectly honest, seems out of spite, is downright rude.

DarthNuriko
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:27:09 PM
What about a happy medium? Like Perrett McBlade? :D

Just as a note, I kinda get what he's saying. I actually have the opposite problem. :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:27:20 PM
Because it was bleeding hilarious Gav :)

Gav Mortis
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:31:46 PM
Because it was bleeding hilarious Gav :)

Have to start watching it then, I assume the title of the programme is self-explanatory? People who look like other people?

ReaperFett
Mar 16th, 2002, 09:34:15 PM
It's from Radio 4 originally, put on BBC1. It's an impressions programme. This one thing was when Jon Culshaw went into a furniture store as Tom Baker(Dr Who), and was checking out cupboards :)

Oh, and Darth Vader helping out a maid on the Death Star :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:00:17 AM
He has to do that as he has five different sig pics and doesn't know how to do an ActiveSig - besides it wouldn't work, the images are different sizes - hence he has no option to have his sig(s) any other way.
Ok, fair enough :). Since I have all sigs disabled I usually don't know or pay attention to what people are doing with their signatures. I merely noticed that Garrett seems to always post with that image in his posts here in OOC and as such I commented on it.

In fact, I remember Sorsha, when asking about her sig innitially here (as she uses different images in her sigs) to just include them within the body of her posts, she was advised to do this by a SWForums administrator, the same thing with Garrett.
Don't suppose you could provide a link to this? I'm not saying you're lying - only that I'd actually like to see who said what. :)

He is not doing anything illegal ...
Never said he was. I should point out here and now that my own comments were from me as a fellow poster, not an administrator. If he refuses then there isn't much I can do except sit here and gripe about it. :p

... and although I'm sounding picky, I don't think it is fair of you to ask of something like that.
I wasn't aware of the reasons why he did post the image in all his posts, so it pretty much impossible for me to determine whether my request was 'unfair' or not. Personally I think it's best that I at least communicate my initial displeasure at it, rather than stay quiet and not reveal my own concerns - which is already a problem here with people having issuess but deciding to stay quiet until their problems develop and become bigger than they ought to.

Note that by raising my concerns you have provided me with the explanation so now I know and are reasonably satisfied. That is the benefit of communication. :thumbup

[/ thread hijack]

Shawn
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:03:34 AM
Dave was just kindly asking him not to use it so much, since he has a 'dodgy connection'. I don't see a problem in that.

Now Peter: If you don't want people to refer to you as Garrett, you're really going to have to register another account. When new posters come here, how are they supposed to know that you don't like being referred to as 'Garrett' OOC? At any other board, it's generally considered poor taste to use someone's real name, unless it's their registered handle.

Moreover, some of us are simply accustomed to referring to our fellow posters by their characters' names. Even posting under this account, I still get people who call me 'Nup'. I haven't roleplayed the Nupraptor character in months... but it's who everyone has come to know me by. I think I know the RL names of almost everyone here... but I still call Live Wire 'LW', I still call Darth Viscera simply 'Visc', and so on.

Since you specifically asked not to be referred to on an OOC basis by your character's name, I'll respect that (of course). I just thought I'd explain why myself and others have a tendency to call people by their IC names. :)

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:06:19 AM
Dave was just kindly asking him not to use it so much, since he has a 'dodgy connection'. I don't see a problem in that.

O_o
By dodgy connectio, do you mean like the mafia and such? Will we ever see Peter again? :eek

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:06:37 AM
Oh. Thats what you want, Peter. (I read your post and sort of didn't understand it.)

If I slip and call you Garret, its not intentional. Its habit, and i apologize in advance.

Right.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:07:50 AM
No. He means low quality, slow and inconsitent internet connection.

Cute though.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:11:22 AM
CotF: Were you aware that in your control panel you have the option of making posted images into links instead of actually having them displayed?

Sith Ahnk
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:32:50 AM
in your control panel you have the option of making posted images into links instead of actually having them displayed?

You do? Sw~ee~t!

TheHolo.Net
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:17:31 AM
In the options section.

http://thesithempire.clanpages.com/optionsnip.gif

From looking at the wording of the option it probably has no effect on HTML coded images.

Champion of the Force
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:25:08 AM
From looking at the wording of the option it probably has no effect on HTML coded images.
It doesn't - which is why I can see Garrett's image (I already had images disable in posts).

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 17th, 2002, 11:30:57 AM
I wasn't aware of the reasons why he did post the image in all his posts, so it pretty much impossible for me to determine whether my request was 'unfair' or not. Personally I think it's best that I at least communicate my initial displeasure at it, rather than stay quiet and not reveal my own concerns - which is already a problem here with people having issuess but deciding to stay quiet until their problems develop and become bigger than they ought to.

Understood, but like I said:

Hate to give myself an excuse, but I have had a bit to drink so my wording mightn't be as to-thepoint as I'd hope

I get whiney after a few, I'll be the first to admit. :\

Don't suppose you could provide a link to this? I'm not saying you're lying - only that I'd actually like to see who said what.

I had a look but I can't find it - the pages in OOC only go back so far, 21 pages I think, the thread I'm referring to was made on one of the first days of this board, once made public.

Garrett Blade
Mar 17th, 2002, 02:09:02 PM
FYI - I don't post the image in all my posts.

Champion of the Force
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:50:52 PM
That's cool Garrett. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 17th, 2002, 04:56:01 PM
Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah
I had a look but I can't find it - the pages in OOC only go back so far, 21 pages I think, the thread I'm referring to was made on one of the first days of this board, once made public. If you have it set in your control panel to display all topics, then there are navigation arrows that will allow you to browse back further than 21 pages, and also the search feature works rather well on vBulletin. The search index is probably actually the bulk of our database's size :x But its nice to have a functional search feature unlike that useless thing they have on ezboard.

Gav Mortis
Mar 17th, 2002, 05:18:07 PM
Merci. Got it now. :)

Here's the addy (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60&perpage=20&pagenumber=2).

neo_sapien
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:00:00 PM
<center>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/darthviscera/disclaimer.jpg</center>

I believe that the above signed document excuses me :)