PDA

View Full Version : Joyride

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:20:39 PM
Has anybody else seen this movie? I just rented it today and man it is great one of the most underrated movies of 2001 and probably one of the scariest movies and supsensful movies to be made in recent memory. It stars Steve Zahn, Paul Walker and Leelee Sobieski (man she is so hot :) ) but the main attraction is Rusty Nail voiced by Ted Levine (the infamous Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs) he plays a truck driver who the kids had played a pratical joke on, he then pursues them for the whole movie. You never really see him until the end, all you hear is his voice and see the truck, but that makes it more supsensful. The last 20 minutes is great too some of the greatest moments of suspense I have seen, except I wish it would have ended with more resolution, or picked one of the Alternate endings on the DVD . So if your in the mood for a good horror film I would check it out becasue its the best of the lot from 2001.

darth_mcbain
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:44:57 PM
Haven't seen it, but I agree with you 100% - Leelee is HOT...

JMK
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:53:20 PM
I agree too.
I wanted to see that too, but it remains to be seen whether I ever get around to watching it.

Zatania Duvall
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:03:02 PM
Haven't seen it... But I have my own truck driver to be frightened of..... er..... actually, to laugh at. *whistles and simply pegs her dad with a peanut because the guy's a pushover really*

Hmm...... But I from seeing what you said about the movie, a truck driver as the villian? No wonder people think truck drivers are evil and are scared to death of driving near a truck. It's things like that that make bad names for 'em. :p

darth_mcbain
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:06:45 PM
Sounds a little bit like that old Spielberg flick "Duel".

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:27:50 PM
There are some similarities to Duel, but it is different. I don't think the character in duel did anything really to make the truck driver come after them. In Joyride they play a prank on him which he takes personally (though I do think the guy was a psycho to begin with) there is a another difference the the last 20 minutes the suspense is unbelieveable not going to say because you have to watch it to understand you are on the edge of your seat wonering what is going to happen and who will live or die.

CMJ
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:32:57 PM
For what it was...it was a solid film. I saw it several months ago. :)

Shawn
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:28:20 PM
It didn't look at all interesting to me. However, I'm currently wearing this mighty nifty Joy Ride T-Shirt I got at work. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:20:23 PM
LOL wear the shirt but not watch the movie:p Seriously I really liked it I thought it was better than the Scream movies, which in my opinion weren't scary and didn't have a lot of suspense. I think this film was a lot more suspensful.

JonathanLB
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:49:43 AM
I agree! I was surprised because I was expecting to hand out a mediocre to good review, but I had to give this film 3.5 stars out of 4. This is a very good film, so I agree with Carr. Not "for what it was," it was a good movie all around. Period.

The dialogue was great, and it managed to be funny and scary at the same time, which is practically impossible to do.

Hehe, I am super buzzed right now on lots of caffeine; I stayed up all night seeing Joy Ride and Heist (again, because I needed to review it) and I had to review both DVDs.

Uhh, Heist has the worst DVD ever made. If there is a worse DVD, please, please do not let me know. I don't want to see it! Heist has a theatrical trailer and cast notes. That is IT. Nothing else. No joke. It has 2.5 minutes of extra features, LOL!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I didn't review Joy Ride quite yet, I wrote myself notes, but it's nearly 9 a.m. here on the West and I stayed up all night so I'll write my review tomorrow.

However, I did write my DVD review because I had to return the disc before noon today.

Here is the review of the Joy Ride DVD, one of the best DVDs around lately, and for a one-disc film, it's possibly one of the best ever.

DVD Notes: How many single DVDs have such great extra features? Certainly not very many are packed with as many extra features as Joy Ride. One section has three different renditions of Rusty Nail’s voice (Eric Roberts, Stephen Shellen, and Ted Levine). The DVD also has nearly one hour of deleted scenes, including many alternate endings. A variety of different situations occur in the alternate endings, demonstrating that the director and the filmmakers wanted to try every angle possible so that the eventual climax would be the best they could make. The level of attention put into the editing is clear; the actual ending chosen is still the best, as it should be. Besides the deleted scenes, the disc contains two commentary tracks for each deleted scene, letting audiences know more about each one. Mostly, the only other occasions where one can find such a collection of additional footage is in a detailed two-disc set such as for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001).

A small four-minute featurette does not add much to the DVD, although it has a few good comments from the actors and the director. It would be appropriate for someone to see who is reluctant to watch the entire movie, perhaps. Perhaps most impressively, the film has three commentary tracks. Even many of the best DVDs do not boast three separate commentary tracks; one is standard. On Joy Ride’s DVD, viewers can listen to commentary from director John Dahl, J. J. Abrams and Clay Tarver, or Steve Zahn and Leelee Sobieski. No doubt anything anyone wants to know about the movie is available in the hours upon hours of commentary tracks. The DVD also includes the theatrical trailer for the film, as does probably every other DVD ever made. Going through every single feature on the Joy Ride DVD including the commentary tracks during the film would take more than ten hours.

For any fans of Joy Ride, even moviegoers who considered it simply solid entertainment, nothing more, the DVD is completely satisfying. Normally with a fairly low budgeted fall film, the studio hardly even bothers throwing together a decent DVD, but Twentieth Century Fox could hardly have put more onto the Joy Ride DVD. The only small problem problem is the extra features menu area, which is a bit hard to read but does not detract too much from the features offered. It could be a lot clearer and easier to navigate, though. Still, such a small complaint seems trivial compared to the overall quality of the disc.

(C) JLB Media 2002

I guess some of you may be interested to know that my movie site will launch soon.

I have been saying that for a while, I realize, but we've had delays. Basically, the guy I hired to do the site has no idea how to do graphics, especially the type I want, so he did the HTML. I ended up saying I'd give him $250 for what he did, half of what I was going to pay, and I had to use eLance to find another guy to do my graphics, and this guy is actually a professional, verified and reviewed by eLance, and I'm paying him $400 (still trying to see if he'll knock off $50 because I'm going to let him redesign my humor site in a month for a few hundred more).

So, I'm 3 weeks late on the movie site (Feb. 20 was the original test date), then I'm $150 over budget now. Plus $50 in lost hosting charges this month, plus an estimated $300 to $500 in revenue from the delay. Oh well... it's how business goes.

The site will be up for visitors this next week for sure. I just had to bring in a top gun to finish it off, haha. :)

Site launches with 105+ reviews. It should be pretty awesome looking and the content will be quite nice in the future (although, 105 is not a bad start).

The newsletter for the site stands at 53,000 subscribers. It will hit 63,000 before my final campaign finishes. That cost me another $1,250. So about $1,900 for the construction of this site, plus I'm using free advertising across my network, hehe.

If all goes well in the first full month, April, I have $1,000 more marked for the movie site to use to expand the newsletter list to 125,000.

I'm very excited about the movie site, should be so much fun to run it and plus, all of my rentals and theatrical expenditures from now on are tax deductible items. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:01:48 PM
Yeah I was surprised about how many features the DVD had, I think I might end up buying it for the features alone and because it was a good movie, a lot better than that crappy horror film Jeepers Creepers (which is the typical standard of horror movies today). What I liked about this movie was the suspense it was terrific and heart pounding at times and kept you guessing until the end. The cast also did a good job namely Steve Zahn he was very funny at times. I also liked the creepyness of Ted Levine, he was perfect for the voice of Rusty Nail.

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:09:03 PM
If there is a worse DVD, please, please do not let me knowInterview With the Vampire has, uh, French Subtitles. Yeah, that's about it. They couldn't even be bothered to make a background picture for the menu: Instead, it just has a WB logo.The transfer isn't too hot, either.

darth_mcbain
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:29:52 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
If there is a worse DVD, please, please do not let me know.

Planes Trains and Automobiles (while a good flick) has about nothing on its DVD

JonathanLB
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:28:51 PM
I know there are worse DVDs, hehe, like some of my Hong Kong DVDs really suck, feature only, but they were mostly cheap too.

I am just saying, for a new movie, a brand new DVD, to have absolutely no special features for a movie with Danny Devito and Gene Hackman, ugg, come on! That's sad.

I loved Jeepers Creepers, Carr, I thought that was a fantastic movie. Incredily stylish, very well done, and an unpredictable, very non-Hollywood ending. I think Jeepers Creepers rocks and it was fairly scary too, as scary as almost any movie for me. I don't get scared by movies, but, that being said, it's fairly scary.

JMK
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:25:03 PM
The first version of Swingers has absolutely nothing on it. It's the most bare-bones DVD I own.

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:54:11 PM
I have mixed feelings about Jeepers Creepers. It builds up quite a bit and then just kind of falls flat on it's face. I mean, after having the lady offer up her cheap propechies and warnings, it all turns out to be for naught. You could almost say that the second half of the movie was pointless.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:03:35 PM
That was my problem it set up too much for sequels and that is the way most horror films do, plus I didn't like it that a main character had to die like that and the evil creature won it just doesn't sit well with me. Sure in Joy Ride Rusty Nail, [spoiler] seemingly gets away with it though all the kids do live though they do have to worry about him pursing them again though perhaps not he said something like the Storm is over or something like he was telling them that he won't be coming after them I have to watch it again to catch that part [spoiler] Oh well I just perfered JoyRide maybe it was also that Jeepers Creppers was made by a pedophile which is kind of disturbing.