PDA

View Full Version : Haha, Altman calls Titanic WORST FILM EVER

JonathanLB
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:43:47 PM
LOL, I am liking this guy more all of the sudden, he is hilarious. Of course Titanic is NOT even close to the worst film ever (it's actually a good movie, it's just the most overrated film ever; hardly a crime).

Still this is great:

Robert Altman, who sometimes seems to consciously create films that don't stand a chance to become commercially successful, has deprecated the most successful film of all. In an interview with Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com, Altman remarked, "Titanic I thought was the most dreadful piece of work I've ever seen in my entire life." He also had harsh words for American Beauty: "So badly acted and directed. But people like that."

Yay, a major director who calls AB absolute crap, haha. That's pretty cool. My entire family hated it, I have no doubt I will hate it too as the first five minutes were the most disgusting and stupid I have ever seen.

I think Mr. Altman is primarily just bitter that his movies don't appeal to basically anyone whatsoever because he is such a weirdo. Nevertheless, that is hilarious. Titanic has been smashed apart so badly since it's theatrical run, lol, oh man. That movie has stood the test of time about as well as a fruit fly!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:53:23 PM
I have a strange feeling that he would call SW crap too anybody know what he thinks of it? I personally don't care for his movies, I find them very boring.

Champion of the Force
Mar 12th, 2002, 08:32:56 PM
That movie has stood the test of time about as well as a fruit fly!
I think it's way to early to say considering it was only released a few years ago.

Most of the criticisms I have read about it have only been from sources such as this. I certainly haven't seen any huge backlash against the film.

CMJ
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:13:38 PM
Altman is a pretentious snob. He always has been... It's one of the reasons he has never won an Acdemy Award(at least thats what people say) because he pisses too many people off.

ReaperFett
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:16:46 PM
He's an older Sean Penn :)

CMJ
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:47:15 PM
LOL...not quite...because he WANTS to win the awards. At the same time he makes fun of everybody in the industry and slams respected people(for example, if I remember he slammed Spielberg a few years back). He does not have many buddies in the industry. They respect him..but do not like him.

ReaperFett
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:50:03 PM
But he does make Finger Licking Good food :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:14:05 PM
LOL there is a resemblance:lol Makes me wonder if these remarks will hurt him this time around.

Jedieb
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:25:13 PM
I think he's an excellent film maker. I really enjoyed MASH, he went out on a limb with that movie. As for his Titanic comments, I have no doubt he'd probably have something harse to say about SW films also. He's entitled to his opinion. I kind of like the fact that he says stuff that pisses others off. He obviouslly doesn't care what ANYONE thinks.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:36:07 PM
I was thinking of his more recent films, they aren't kind of films that really interest me.

Doc Milo
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:58:40 PM
Told everyone I did -- about American Beauty! :)

I hated that movie as well. I wouldn't say it was badly acted, though. That's one criticism I can't make. I hated the characters in the movie, hated that they tried to portray every American family on such a low level. I didn't like anyone in the movie. It was a movie with no one likable to root for, so to speak. I hardly cared what happened to anyone. The only emotion that it inspired me to feel was pity.

But I wouldn't call it badly acted....

As for Titanic. Not the worst movie ever -- but bad enough, IMO, that I could not stand to sit through an entire viewing. Everytime I tried to watch it, I shut it off part way through. I just found that it failed to catch and hold my attention.

And not winning an Academy Award is not saying much, sorry to say . . . just means he's not good at playing the Hollyweird political game.

Zatania Duvall
Mar 13th, 2002, 12:42:04 AM
I liked Titanic the first time... but then it started to get annoying with how many of my giddy and giggly friends started dragging me to see it five to ten more times.

JonathanLB
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:02:15 PM
"I have a strange feeling that he would call SW crap too anybody know what he thinks of it? I personally don't care for his movies, I find them very boring."

I have a feeling he would probably think the Star Wars movies were all WAY too fast paced and just chaotic for him, poorly made junk that entertains the masses and that nobody can understand. Or, at least, he cannot understand because more happens in one Star Wars movie than happens in every single Altman film put together and multiplied by six million. If Titanic is the worst film, I bet he thinks Star Wars is the second worst film. lol.

And yes, his movies are boring, the guy is a boring old man. Boring, boring, boring. His comments are idiotic too, the guy clearly has no brain, but it was funny to see him dissing Titanic and American Beauty, BOTH BEST PICTURE winners. Not that it says a lot, but it's just funny that's all.

I mean, you know a guy has no taste in film if he doesn't like Steven Spielberg. Spielberg is the greatest director of all time in my opinion, but I have no doubt any critic would place him in their top five. You cannot deny the achievements of a guy who redefined an era (along with Lucas) with Jaws, the highest grossing film ever for two years, then struck back with E.T., highest grossing movie ever for 15 years, then had the highest grossing worldwide film of all time in Jurassic Park, then not only was able to pull off the biggest commercial hits ever (including the three Indy films), but also make Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, both amazingly acclaimed films. Then he has a lot of great, but underappreciated films like Amistad and A.I. to name two. I thought Amistad was a wonderful movie, but the controversy of the author and whatnot hurt DreamWorks and hurt Spielberg's Oscar and award chances for that film. SPR was robbed by a chick flick, and A.I. just wasn't for everyone apparently, even though I thought the film was just brilliant.

Making two or three great films is a remarkable lifetime achievement, but to make as many great films as Spielberg, in the area of ten or however many, is what makes him the greatest of all.

You know, if Ridley Scott had that many films maybe he'd be my #1 choice, because I do think Gladiator, Blade Runner, and Alien are better than anything Spielberg has ever made, but that's not the point. The point is that Spielberg simply has more great films than Scott does currently. Nonetheless, Scott gets 4 stars for those three films plus Black Hawk Down and Hannibal, from me at least. Then he gets a solid 3 for 1492: Conquest of Paradise, and alas I have not seen Thelma and Louise or G.I. Jane but the latter film is probably not so good, looked really idiotic to me. Everyone is allowed their G.I. Jane's, though, or Howard the Duck's, etc. Spielberg has some stinkers too from what I hear, although I haven't seen them yet, except to say that I was no fan of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A classic film, no doubt, but a boring and pretty mediocre one in my opinion.