PDA

View Full Version : has anyone checked out the new parody site by starwars.com

sirdizzy
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:11:29 PM
http://www.holonetnews.com

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:14:18 PM
It isn't really parody. Most of it is background info, with humouress entries(Look for the 'Beat the Monkey' one:))

sirdizzy
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:49:03 PM
well starwars.com called it a parody site i am just using their words

Darth Viscera
Mar 11th, 2002, 07:03:25 PM
I don't consider it a parody. For instance:

Baktoid Closes Down Five More Plants

TERMIN, METALORN -- In a statement issued to shareholders, Baktoid Armor Workshop confirmed that they will close down five more plants in the Inner Rim and Colonies as a direct result of Republic regulations that have hindered their battle droid program.

Surplus Baktoid battle droids at Ord Lithone.
Baktoid plants on Foundry, Ord Cestus, Telti, Balmorra and Ord Lithone will close by month's end. An estimated 12.5 million employees will be laid off as a result.

Legislation passed by the Senate eight years ago forced the disbanding of the Trade Federation's security forces, the largest single consumer of Baktoid's combat automata and vehicles. Further licensing restrictions on the sale of battle droids made the purchase of such hardware prohibitively expensive for most of Baktoid's clientele.

The statement, a Basic text-only communiqué attributed to Techo Union foreman and Baktoid executive Wat Tambor, made no indication as to future Baktoid plans to counter these losses.

"According to last year's annual statement, Baktoid is still pulling in the same rawmat figures, yet hasn't diversified its product," says business analyst Deregue Hiatt. "We have a company that's spending, buying resources, but isn't making or selling goods. You can bet shareholders aren't happy."

At the start of the year, Baktoid officials explained the increased purchases of rawmats as investment in future diversification, something that has yet to be reflected in the company's product catalog. The late Senator Lanus Wrede (Sermeria) made headlines when he suggested that Baktoid was using said materials in secret Outer Rim plants, free from Republic regulations.

Such claims were refuted by business analysts, as well as a three-month investigation. The scandal amounted to an unrecoverable political blunder on Wrede's part, which led to his suicide earlier in the year.

"Doing something like [Wrede described] isn't good business either," adds Hiatt. "There are no markets out there in the Outer Rim, and the added cost of transporting finished product back to the Republic markets would be unreasonably prohibitive. None of Baktoid's wares have shown up in the black market in figures that would suggest that Wrede was onto something."

There is some golden info in there.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:07:22 PM
It's obviously a parody site. It's a parody of a CNN news site, only the news is fictional SW news. But I can see why some EU devotees would balk at the mere insinuation that something EU is not SW canon that all must worship. ;)

JediBoricua
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:43:21 PM
It's funny and all, but there is some real info in there.

For instance the brief talking about the Republic Army Voting in the Senate says it will occur on may the 16th, and if you read the info the senators quoted represent the differente views on the issue, the same views that are the foundation of the rupture between Empire and Rebel Alliance.

You have Bel Ilbis, senator for Corellia at the time, refusing to pay for two armies, CorSec, and the REpublic ARmy...

It's really interesting IMO.

Jina Jade-Elessar
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:08:50 PM
It's no parody. I think you will find this is real info and good advertising. I would consdier this site to avoided if you dont want to see spoilers

This is the DNS record.

Organization:
Lucasfilm Ltd.
Host Master
P.O. Box 2009
San Rafael, CA 94912
US
Phone: 415-662-1800
Fax..: 415-662-1639
Email: hostmaster@LUCASFILM.COM

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: HOLONETNEWS.COM

Created on..............: Wed, Mar 06, 2002
Expires on..............: Sat, Sep 06, 2003
Record last updated on..: Wed, Mar 06, 2002

Administrative Contact:
Lucasfilm Ltd.
Host Master
P.O. Box 2009
San Rafael, CA 94912
US
Phone: 415-662-1800
Fax..: 415-662-1639
Email: hostmaster@LUCASFILM.COM

Technical Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 212-798-9200
Fax..: 212-629-9305
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 212-798-9200
Fax..: 212-629-9305
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS.LUCASFILM.COM 208.244.233.220
DNS101.REGISTER.COM 216.21.228.53

Darth Viscera
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:17:14 AM
Note, the senator of Chandrila's last name is Mothma. Yet it's not Mon Mothma. Interesting.

That sort of invalidates every piece of EU info I've gathered for the last 6 years. All this time I assumed that Mon Mothma was the senator of Chandrila beginning around the time of TPM. I heard that she represented that planet even in the times of the Old Republic.

sirdizzy
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:18:14 AM
yea the whole vote thing is refering to the movie if ya saw the new trailer the vote is a big part of it

Jedieb
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:35:07 AM
OH MY GOD! IT'S A PARODY OF A "REAL" NEWS SITE! The fact that many of the articles contain EU tidbits is irrelevant. Unless you're saying CNN isn't reporting the machinations of Palpatine because he's using his influence to silence their journalists?:lol

The archive has two other issues in it. It looks like there's tons of backstory there. I think I'm going to stay away for awhile. I'm afraid I'm learning more than I want to. I'll dig in after I've seen AOTC.

ReaperFett
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:52:07 AM
SENATE ROTUNDA, CORUSCANT -- Supreme Chancellor Palpatine took to the general channels of the HoloNet yesterday to announce the hotly debated Military Creation Act will finally be settled next month. Palpatine announced the date of 5:16 for the full Senate vote on the creation of an Army of the Republic.

5.........16? Oh, THAT is clever! :)

http://www.holonetnews.com/meta/img/ads/468_3.gif
:)

Jedieb
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:21:24 PM
I noticed that as well. They've got a bunch of little things that tie into events of the film. That's why I'm staying away from now on. If you read too much you're bound to catch onto major plot points.

sirdizzy
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:48:11 AM
i doubt they would give away any reall major plot points

what they have given away already was in the new trailer