PDA

View Full Version : Bashers

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:43:10 PM
I am sure glad we don't have the traffic that theforce.net boards do man. I went over last night to see how the reaction to the trailer was and while most loved it, there was some bashers, some were newbiews who kept coming on saying the same thing (the older members were calling them socks which they said means that it is somebody else with the same nickname) If that happened here I be busy forever banning the lot of these people.

Champion of the Force
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:56:15 PM
TFN is a good place to see how bad it can get. :)

I usually visiting their Communications forum and looking out for staff complaints to see how and why they occur to avoid similar situations here.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:32:41 PM
I was hanging around there some last night before the trailer hit the web and was thanking the maker that we don't have as many completely useless posters as they do.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:24:45 PM
I guess it comes with the territory when you have boards the size of TF.N. Have we got any ideas on how to prevent "socks"?

Champion of the Force
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:32:30 PM
Yeah - we ban them. :D

Seriously I'm a little concerned about that as well. At the moment due to having most roleplayers with multiple usernames the board is set to allow multiple registrations with the same e-mail.

What it means is that a person won't have to get 20 million e-mail addresses in order to register all their socks. :\

In the end though 'socks' are only really bad if people use them for trolling/spamming purposes. If people behave sensibly I wouldn't care if they had 1 or 100 names registered.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:39:47 PM
As Admins though, looking up usernames all registered to the same email address is very easy. :) Matching IP adddresses to names works much better on vBulletin too. I can input just the first pair of IP number sets and click search and all users who have posted with thos sets will be displayed.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:40:17 PM
They can't hide from you all can they? :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:42:12 PM
Thats cool then we can ban the IP address instead getting rid of the problem. Also I agree with the statement about useless posters, I couldn't believe all the threads that go closed over there in the last 24 hours. Half the first page was closed threads when I looked at it a few hours ago.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:46:04 PM
Very web savvy Internet users could work around such measures as IP addresses and email addresses, but thankfully your typical trolls are not anywhere near that bright.