PDA

View Full Version : To Every Captive Soul: La Vita Nuova

Taylor Millard
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:37:08 PM
If one ever visits the planet Omar Prime, the astounding beauty and artistry of the place never ceases to amaze the traveller. Particularly in the capital city of Titaneous, the sheer lavishness of high rising pillars and monsterous sculptures depicting various heroes of the past centuries and millenium in various forms of battle, work, and life are pleasing to the eyes. Ruby red banners of silken cloth swirled with white, almost like the mint sticks children (and adults) ate or sucked on during the Winterfest, adorned various tapestries cut out of the stone from whence it came ages ago lined the streets as a guide.

And if this guide began directing you towards a single destination, it would be the immense theater in the center of tightly arranged buildings eached lined as if they were built towards the theater. The shorter buildings, although appearing delapadated on the exterior, house various forms of artwork (from paintings to more sculpture) hidden from view unless the owner allows visitors to view his or her hidden treasures.

If Balmorra is the technological capitol of this Imperial Sector, then Omar Prime is by far the artist capitol. As we walk through the close-knit, cobblestone streets of Titaneous music from the theater begins to make its way towards us, like a seductress enticing us forward to listen to her song of sorrow or of triumph.

As single song, a duet fills the air as we draw closer...

Pensando io a ciò che m'era apparuto, propuosi di farlo sentire a molti, li quali erano famosi trovatori in quello tempo: e con ciò fosse cosa che io avesse già veduto per me medesimo l'arte del dire parole per rima, propuosi di fare uno sonetto, ne lo quale io salutasse tutti li fedeli d'Amore; e pregandoli che giudicassero la mia visione, scrissi a loro ciò che io avea nel mio sonno veduto. E cominciai allora questo sonetto, lo quale comincia: A ciascun'alma presa...

As we walk up the grand stairwell towards the stage of the theater, we notice a man sitting up in a private box, accompanied by a woman with red hair. The man wears a white tunic, adorned with blue and red bars of rank and gold trim on the shoulders. His brown hair is cut short, military style as he sits in the crimson felt chair. He sat, back straight and arms in his laps, occassionally glancing at the translation provided by the theater owners to any off-planet dignitaries who might visit Omar Prime, without any prior knowledge of the work in performance. The man sitting is Grand Admiral Taylor Millard...member of the Imperial Navy and Dark Jedi/Sith Knight.

Millard's eyes were closed, not from tiredness, but from complete immersion in the music. He felt it all around him surrounding him and filling his ears with wonderous music. Perhaps his perception was enhanced by the Force which he had now accepted as a part of himself and his family history. It had been difficult, but after his encounter with Seth Darkserpent and Trace Sha, Millard was ready to use the Force as a tool for his success.

Breathing deeply, the man looked over his shoulder to his vice commander, Serena Laran, as she sat in her red velvet chair, her icy green eyes affixed on the opera performance just below her. Millard smiled at her, then turned back towards the spectacular performance of music and staging on the raised stage below.

The long, slow ballad continues...

A ciascun'alma presa, e gentil core,
nel cui cospetto ven lo dir presente,
in ciò che mi rescrivan suo parvente
salute in lor segnor, cioè Amore.
Già eran quasi che atterzate l'ore
del tempo che onne stella n'è lucente,
quando m'apparve Amor subitamente
cui essenza membrar mi dà orrore.
Allegro mi sembrava Amor tenendo
meo core in mano, e ne le braccia avea
madonna involta in un drappo dormendo.
Poi la svegliava, e d'esto core ardendo
lei paventosa umilmente pascea:
appresso gir lo ne vedea piangendo...

Millard closed his eyes again, listening to the ballad play out. It sang of 'A New Life' a reemergance of some sort. As one stared upon the stage, the vastness of the performance.

A Twi'lek woman sang the lead role of 'Beatrice the love of the male lead's life'. Her beautiful soprano filled the grand theater complex with a vastness that only many years of vocal training could create.

She continued, the male human joining her in a beautiful duet...

Questo sonetto si divide in due parti; che la prima parte saluto e domando risponsione, ne la seconda significo a che si dee rispondere. La seconda parte comincia quivi: Già eran.

A questo sonetto fue risposto da molti e di diverse sentenzie; tra li quali fue risponditore quelli cui io chiamo primo de li miei amici, e disse allora uno sonetto, lo quale comincia: Vedesti al mio parere onne valore. E questo fue quasi lo principio de l'amistà tra lui e me, quando elli seppe che io era quelli che li avea ciò mandato. Lo verace giudicio del detto sogno non fue veduto allora per alcuno, ma ora è manifestissimo a li più semplici.

As Millard let the beautiful and wonderous song fill his mind...he looked back on the events which allowed him to ask Vice Admiral Laran to the beautiful and moving performance.

Castle Millard, Bin Prime, Balmorra...Three Days Ago

Millard walked through the halls of his castle, staring at the deep purple and black of the banners hanging from the white palace walls, the Imperial symbol emblazened on most of them.

His black boots clacked on the marble stairs as he traversed the distance from the bottom to the top. As he walked a short distance towards the living area, he paused again.

A black gloved hand touched the chime panel by the wooden door. Millard stared as he was allowed entry.

Vice Admiral Serena Laran sat, still in her Imperial Uniform, her red hair untied and down. She appeared to have a bit of a flustered look on her face, annoyed her superior had caught her out of uniform.

"Vice Admiral Laran, I apologize for disturbing you," he spoke diplomatically, a parcel under his arm.

"I thought you would find this interesting," he placed a book on the bed next to her. It was "Theater in Song: The story of the playwrite, Kal Kimorta", the Kuatian Playright.

"I have been invited by Governor Marchant of Omar Prime to view La Vita Nuova at the theater in three days. Unfortunately, Governor Marchant asked me to bring a guest, and I am afraid I do not have one. I was wondering, would you like to accompany me to the opera?"

He awaited her response, as he stared into her icy green eyes.

Serena Laran
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:57:34 AM
Laran turned to face Millard. "The opera?" Out of habit she arched one eyebrow as she considered his request. Her hands worked busily, twisting her long hair up and off her shoulders, and securing it with three enameled pins.

"I'm afraid I'm not much of a music enthusiast." She flipped the book open to the middle, running a long finger down the printeed page. "But I will accompany you, as you have requested. If only to save my commanding officer the embarrasment of showing up without as guest." She rebuttoned the collar of her uniform, and stood up, standing less than an inch below six feet tall in her stocking feet. "And now, Admiral, I was about to go to dinner on board the Kelvin with my bridge officers."

She looked away for a moment, then turned back to him. "Would you care to join me? We have an excellent chef on board."

Taylor Millard
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:27:07 AM
Millard nodded, "It would be my pleasure Vice Admiral, " he allowed his normal tight smile, to come across his face as he spoke.

Inwardly, the Imperial Grand Admiral chuckled at Serena's 'Saving the commanding officer from embarrasment' comment. It might be saving Millard from embarrasment, but it was also an opportunity for Serena to break out of her shell too.

The two walked through the decorated halls of Castle Millard, watching various Imperial officers go about their business. On occasion, the duo would receive salutes from officers who had the brains to show them the proper respect.

Taylor and Serena, with the Imperial Guardsman Thomas following, arrived at the hangar bay just as the Balmorran sun was beginning to set in the west. As their shuttle took off, the yellow sun cast a gorgeous sight on the ground below.

Millard marvelled at the sight, "Beautiful isn't it? So tell me Admiral, have you finished the books I gave you? Are they enjoyable?"

Serena Laran
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:04:07 AM
The tall woman did not turn to face him as she replied, instead she looked out the window as they escaped the atmosphere of Balmorra. "I have indeed finished the books, and I did...enjoy them." She did face him then, a half smile on her full lips. "I have studied the history of the starfighter before. I was ten, and -" She was distracted again by the view as the Kelvin loomed ahead of them.

"Its beautiful, isn't it." She absently touched the transparisteel, tracing the outline of the dagger shaped ISD as it grew ever closer. Serena didn't notice the frustrated look her Admiral gave her behind her back.

Laran sat in her chair at the theatre; something in the seat was broken and poking into her back most uncomfortably. She clapped with the rest of the audience at the end of the performance, rising to her feet as the crowd gave a standing ovation. Finally, relief from that awful spring. Millard appeared quite moved.

The music had been beautiful, but she couldn't help thinking about the drill she had been planning for the Kelvin when she got back. It was hard to take time off. Serena clapped again, and smiled a little at the Admiral, who was beaming and clapping heartily.

Taylor Millard
Mar 27th, 2002, 03:23:58 AM
Millard could tell by the mixed emotions in Laran that she was bored. It wasn't that he was trying to read her mind (he never let himself do that), but the Dark Jedi knew she was distracted.

She's got to be able to take herself away from work when she's off duty.

That was something easier said then done. The Grand Admiral had done a bit of research into Laran and had an idea why she was so 'involved' in her work. But he was not privy to say, as he did not want to offend her or betray her secrets.

Taylor led his vice commander down the red-carpeted stairwell of the opera house. Tomorrow, the Omar Prime Residents would set up green banners of Spring Fest. The ale and food would be flowing the next day. But tonight was just perfect...nice and silent.

The crowd, as it emptied the opera house, was loud and praised the soloist with their every breath. To Taylor it was indeed a masterful performance. He'd enjoyed it greatly marvelling in the work of the cast and the director.

Millard shook hands with the governor of Omar Prime, Lars Marchant, thanking him for the invitation. He beaming man nodded, kissing Laran's gloved hand, then excusing himself to speak with other patrons of importance.

The cool night air greeted the Imperial duo as they exitted the opera house. Millard breathed the air deeply, then turned to Laran. She'd suprised him tonight, opting for something other than her normal grey Imperial uniform.

A blue gown adorned the red head, stretching down to her ankles. It was off her shoulders, giving her more of a beautiful woman look, than her normal Imperial, Take no prisoners look. Long blue gloves covered her arms, stretching up past the elbows, and on her neck was a simple pendant necklace with a large sapphire.

Somehow, Millard felt a bit nervous around Laran, but he kept his emotions under control. After all, she was his vice commander not some woman he was dating. He shucked these thoughts away as the two walked down the stone steps towards the street.

"Shall we get dinner? I know a few places here. Then we can get you back to the [I]Kelvin[i]."

Serena Laran
Mar 27th, 2002, 03:56:26 AM
Serena nodded her head, "Dinner would be pleasant, thank you Millard."

He got them a taxi, and helped her inside, giving the driver their destination. Laran sat quietly, thinking again. Only this time she wasn't thinking about her duties as Vice Admiral. She knew she wasn't being fair to Taylor. They had developed a bond during their year together when she was a liason from the Empire.

And now that he was back, and she was under his command, she had pushed him away. Never have a relationship with a commanding officer. It was the unwritten golden rule. She toyed with her pendant, remembering who had given it to her, and then released it, placing her hands in her lap as Taylor entered the vehicle and sat down.

She gave him a smile, and they traveled in silence.

Serena hadn't always been like this. But since... Whenever people got close to her, she shut them out. She hid herself in duty and her work, because it was safe. Work never was unpredictable or unmanagable. People often were.

Laran fingered her necklace again, and looked out the window.

Taylor Millard
May 8th, 2002, 02:19:50 PM
She's shut the door again, Millard thought as he gazed at her. Inwardly he sighed, this was always the case. Whether it be during morning meetings, spars, or on missions...his 2nd-in-command had the uncanncy ability of being able to close herself from the rest of the universe.

Very subtley, Taylor shook his head in amusement. As the silence got even more deafening, he smiled,

"So are the repairs to the Kelvin going as scheduled? I know she took a bit of a beating on Bastion."

Laran nodded her head, and Millard continued, "This is a bit of an interesting time for the Empire isn't it? Fleet Admiral Desaria deciding to revolt against Lord Viscera. I am also hearing rumors Vice Admiral Lebron might be considering the same thing. But those are unsubstantiated and (hopefully) false.

"Quite an interesting time indeed... So what is it you think, Serena Laran. Of the entire situation...Desaria's revolt. I want to know what's behind the uniform. What is it you think?"

With a raised eyebrow and a slightly bemused expression, Millard waited her response.

Serena Laran
May 12th, 2002, 11:33:56 PM
Laran gave the Admiral her direct stare, and gave his question some thought. "Desaria will get what is coming to him. The Diktat will not allow his 'revolt' to succeed. Whoever thinks they can come between the Empire and what is rightfully its is delusional. Dissention in the ranks is always bad for morale. But the officers on the Kelvin are dealing quite well with the crewmembers."

The Vice Admiral fiddled with the tips of her gloves, and then clasped her hands together in her lap again. "Lebron ...I do not think that he will follow Desaria. Once the Fleet Admiral fails to acheive what he wants, Admiral Lebron will think better of his plans."

She raised an eyebrow, "Has Intel given you word about Lebron's actions? Or are you simply conjecturing from what you know yourself?"

Taylor Millard
May 12th, 2002, 11:48:36 PM
"From what I know myself...plus, Tomar is number two in Lebron's fleet."

He waved a dismissive hand, "But, we are not here to talk shop are we? Alas, I fear at times the Empire means too much to us...It disallows the ability to have hobbies and actually enjoy life...

"So, tell me...has there ever been something you've loved outside of your work? Or someone?"

Serena Laran
May 12th, 2002, 11:55:31 PM
The Vice Admiral didn't noticably stiffen, but she had never really relaxed. "Besides my parents and my sister...only the Empire."

Her voice indicated that he was overstepping the bounds of what she wanted to talk about.

Taylor Millard
May 13th, 2002, 12:00:18 AM
Interesting..

This had been the first time Laran had ever discussed of her family, even if her Imperial file did mention it. Millard pressed forward on the hobby aspect of the question, noticing her stiffness about loving 'someone'.

By now the carriage had rounded the corner, heading towards the restaraunt Millard wanted to take his second-in-command to.

"So no hobbies? Nothing at all which gave you a thrill of being alive? Surely there was something which made you happy, when you were a child?"