PDA

View Full Version : Notice: Shawn

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:53:40 AM
I have found through this page

http://www.swforums.net/forum/admin/index.php?s=&action=phpinfo

that zlib is enabled, so I have enabled gzip compression at a current level of 5. The levels available are 1 thru 9, with 9 being the highest/most compression.

As soon as I enabled it, I noticed a sizeable increase in page loading speed here (they loaded a ton faster than they were before). From what I recall, his will also save us bandwidth, so I wanted to let you know, so that you could compare bandwidth stats to some extent.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:03:51 AM
Oh, I forgot to also mention that gzip compression is now (since it wasn't in 2.0.3 if I remember right, it had to be added via a hack) an option readily available in the Admin control panel.

Shawn
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:21:49 PM
\o/ :D

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:30:57 PM
Hopefully the higher level of traffic that the approach of Ep II is bringing won't push us over the bandwidth limit now that we have this in operation, and the improved page load speed is definately a nice side effect, a very nice one. :D

Shawn
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:02:13 PM
Hmm... we're still towards the beginning of the month, so I'll check out the usage around the 30th or so.

Nupraptor
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:48:09 PM
You want to see fast loading? Try using a text-based theme. :eek

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:52:50 PM
All the styles have vastly improved in page loading speeds. I checked them all last night when I first noticed the change. Its actually amazing that it could make such a big difference. At least to me and my 512 Kb down, it made probably a difference of I'd guess a little more than a second or so on a standard Star Wars style. Jaw dropping improvement if you ask me. :eek

Champion of the Force
Mar 12th, 2002, 04:42:02 PM
I have noticed a significant loading improvement in the Basic styles. :)