PDA

View Full Version : Ep II Topics in OOC

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:51:52 AM
I am thinking that if they continue with much frequency, that redirects to the moved topics will no longer be left by me, as the redirects may be used as a motivation for people to ignore the fact that the topics should be posted in the appropriate forum.

Thoughts?

Champion of the Force
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:04:32 AM
I am of the same mind.

If a person continues to disregard the rules and continually (and knowingly) posts in the wrong forum I would either:

a) Move their thread to the correct forum but leave no link (they can find it themselves).

... or ...

b) If it was a serious problem just shut down the thread entirely with a locking and warning.

Redirects are only good for honest mistakes so people can easily find and see where their threads have gone. For repeate offenders who do it on purpose however it's a waste.

PS. The RPF had a similar problem a couple of months ago and enacted similar measures which have been reasonably successful.

EDIT: Just a clarification - I would only do it with repeat offenders, not with ALL threads in the wrong place. Most of the threads I have moved from OOC thus far (mainly EU related) appear to have been genuine mistakes.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:08:03 AM
I think now that we have the automated sending of a PM available when moving a thread, that redirects aren't as neccessary/helpful as they once were.

I went ahead and posted the sticky topic in OOC after moving three threads and a fourth after postig it, which didn't start as an Ep II topic, but became one, so that all RPers that frequent that forum should be aware and future movings not unexpected.

Besides, I really don't like the cluttered look the redirects leave behind.

Champion of the Force
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:15:18 AM
I'm not too bothered by the redirects (as long as there aren't too many of them - having half a forum page filled with them doesn't look good).

Personally I consider them a godsend compared to what we had to do back on ezboard. Often I would move a thread, only to come back and find either the thread reposted AGAIN or worse a very annoyed poster demanding to know where their thread went.

And whilst having the automatic PM is nice there's no gurantee a poster will read it prior to finding their thread is missing.

I think relinks serve as a good 'easing in' method in that they show the author where it's meant to go but still retain a link so it's easy for them to find which satisfies most complainees since they've still got the exposure in the original forum. The extra advantage is that readers of the threads will also notice the movement and learn as well.

As I mentioned above I've been doing it a lot for EU threads and thus far it's worked wonderfully with many RPers now frequenting that forum.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:03:03 PM
I agree. Move the thread with no link if it keeps happening.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:33:34 PM
Yeah I agree. People should know by now since there is a topic stuck for all people to read. Peeps should know better