PDA

View Full Version : The Time Machine tops weekend ...

Champion of the Force
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:09:10 PM
Well results are coming in. The Time Machine took #1 with an estimated $22.5 million, with We Were Soldiers claiming 2nd with $14.5 million.

All About The Benjamins claimed 3rd with $10.1 million.

Fellowship of the Ring is STILL clinging onto #10 place with $2.6 million for the weekend. It's now at $291.1 million.

Question is will TTM drop like a rock next weekend? It's got a ton of negative reviews and it's CinemaScore was only a C+. :\

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:16:07 PM
I thought the trailer looked pretty interesting. But it didn't tell me at all what the movie is actually about.

JonathanLB
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:24:29 PM
C+? dang, I really wonder about CinemaScore sometimes because everyone I know who saw it actually really enjoyed it. I gave it a B+. It was definitely a very good film.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:56:03 AM
I am not surprised, and I expect it to drop next weekend, FOTR is also still doing well, I can't see it not makeing another 9 million to get to 300.

Darth Lynch
Mar 14th, 2002, 04:11:11 PM
The Time Machine had great potential to be an awesome movie but you could see how some of it was changed or influenced to be more POTAish or simple done in a way Hollywood is known to screw up some good movies.

The ending was horrible which is disheartening due to the fact before it went the way of all Hollywood movies the "villian" makes a good speech. Pity the movie had to go the standard fisticuffs route.

Have yet to see or hear from anyone that liked the ending.

Was sorely tempted to buy the original which viewed years ago on VHS, saw it for 8.99 in a store.

Amusing enough for the movie they had the employees wearing togas at the theatre.

Zatania Duvall
Mar 14th, 2002, 06:45:33 PM
I absolutely hated the book, so there is no amount of cash that will force me to sit through that steaming pile o crap movie. :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:25:02 PM
Well I think I will skip it now, it sounds like they really riped the book and tried to make something different, now I have to hope they do justice to Wells's best book War of the Worlds which some company is suppose to start working on so far all I hear is good they are going to be pretty loyal to the book, for example they are setting it in the setting and time of the book, which will hopefully make it more interesting.

Champion of the Force
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:28:10 AM
I wonder though if Independence Day may result in a negative response to War of the Worlds. The former was pretty much a rip-off of the latter.

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:11:21 AM
"Have yet to see or hear from anyone that liked the ending."

Ok, hello, I'm Jonathan, LOL. I loved the ending and so did my good friend Ben. There, now you have heard from someone who liked it.

The movie was awesome. I haven't heard from many people who DIDN'T like it! The book was not a steaming pile of crap I am sure, LOL, it's a classic. However, the movie is awesome regardless of the book, that's not a good reason not to see a movie given that most movies differ vastly from the book.

Time Machine rocks.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:37:58 PM
Yeah your right ID4 did rip off War of the Worlds pretty much, I wonder if most people would notice though :P If they did a very good adaptation set in the turn of the century England people probably wouldn't even notice the similarities, well maybe the ending.