PDA

View Full Version : The Clone War: Ep 2 Trailer

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:58:31 PM
How was the trailer lads? I don't want any specifics, just your thoughts! Although I'm sure I'll be downloading it soon....

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:02:14 PM
The OS is really slow right now, I guess it's got alot of folks like me constantly refreshing waiting for that link to be up...

Jedieb
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:06:30 PM
IMO it was the BEST of all the AOTC trailers we've seen yet. The scope of what the trailer shows is simply amazing. We could be seeing the most impressive battles of any SW film yet. This trailer simply kicks ass!:D

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:08:16 PM
You know, a small part of me was hoping that it was going to stink so I wouldn't be SO DAMN ANGRY I DIDN'T GET TO SEE IT!
GRRRRRRRR!!!
Where is the link??????

>_<

TheHolo.Net
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:09:12 PM
http://starwars.apple.com/ep2/clone_war/

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:17:28 PM
It tells me that I'm not authorized to view that link. What gives?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:18:47 PM
:huh

Works for me, I'm about halfway done downloading now.

Here is a link to the large version:

http://starwars.apple.com/ep2/clone_war/clonewar_lg.html

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:20:05 PM
Never mind, copy/paste did the trick!

Download commencing!

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:25:43 PM
I say this every time...but
Sweet Fancy Moses. What is George doing to us?????? Can anyone say sensory overload? We are definetly in for the thrill of a lifetime here! Movie-wise that is. :crack :crack :crack

Did anyone see Anakin going at it with both sabers? And I didn't notice very many lightsaber colors other than blue and green for the jedi, except Mace's purple...

For those without Quicktime Pro:
http://starwars.apple.com/ep2/clone_war/clonewar_md.html

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:39:25 PM
I loved it too, I have already saw it twice, I am going to try now to find a copy to download as well :D. Also I agree with JMK I saw that too makes me wonder if Dooku will have 2 sabers as well, I also like Lee's only line of the trailer, "Join me Obi-wan and together we can defeat the Sith. They also teased us with Mace's scenes, I am thinking there is a lot more there. Also did anybody else spot those ships that look very much like early Star Destroyers? And then there are those attack vechicles that look a lot like AT-T's. One more thing anbody else see Natalie getting her shirt just about torn off in the arena:eek. Overall I agree with Jedieb this is the best trailer of them all and I think one of the best trailers I have seen this year.

Lord Gue
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:39:42 PM
AWESOME!

BUFFJEDI
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:15:07 AM
The trailer was better than Bea Arthur in the nude!!!!!!!!

Did Anyone else (I'm sure you did ) catch who was being cloned?Or did I miss understand what obi wan said?

Khan Surak
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:15:46 AM
Yeah, I did see those SD-like ships in the background during that cloned army scene. Jango Fett was the one being cloned

Another good thing about this one was that it wasn't as mushy as the others and focused more on the war and the Jedi. Overall, the best AOTC trailer I'd have to say.

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:20:14 AM
In a word, INCREDIBLE!!!

Anakin going at it with the two sabers was great. I also loved Yoda hovering while talking with Mace... I will need to watch it again!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:27:03 AM
Yeah I noticed that that was a big revelation, the clones are from Jango which makes Jango's role in Ep2 10 times bigger than Darth Maul mostly because, it is his DNA that is used to create these warriors. Also I have watched it a few more times and I sware I see at least one other person with a purple lightsaber which does look cool by the way, not sure if there are any other colors. I have heard rumors of yellow but doesn't appear in the trailer.

imported_Firebird1
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:06:29 AM
Is speechless!

Wow we are in for one big show!

Shawn
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:17:33 AM
I'm trying really hard not to get overly excited, but man... that trailer was impressive. However, I still harbor memories of myself thinking how cool the TPM trailer was. :\

What I thought was particularly well done was showing Palpatine as a doting soothsayer: "You don't need guidance, Anakin. I forsee you becoming the greatest of all Jedi."

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:05:32 AM
Yeah, that was a great line. Alot like Palpy's last line of TPM. I have a hard time picturing how everything we've seen in the trailers is going to play out in a little more than 2 hours!

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:02:44 AM
Yeah - there' s a lot of material in there - I would think it should run at least 2 hours. Another thing I noticed when watching it a few more times is that the whole thing seems very dark, not only in tone but in the actual screen images which is probably a good foreshadowing of how things will start going in the Galaxy. I also LOVED Palpatine's quote to Anakin (you will become the greatest of all Jedi) and the scene with Obi-Wan fighting in the hologram GOOD STUFF!!!

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:31:02 AM
I have to say that I both like it and hate it.
It is an awesome trailer and it shows alot of the movie, but its way too packed with stuff. There is just too much going on and it moves way too fast. As soon as you register something happening, its cut to another scene. you really have to slow it down and watch it frame by frame to be able to see everything. Its almost like watching a kungfu fight that is changing frames after each hit - just too fast to catch what happened until its too late.
I am really really looking forward to the movie, but I really hope its not as fast paced as this trailer is. Of course I am not worried too much because i know George Lucas' specialty is editing.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2002, 12:47:52 PM
It was a sure beauty. Funny, good looking and action packed. Was glad the last sceneg ot rid of the three sabre colour rule that was apparently in the Films. It heightened the look

And best, they didn't ruin the film like I feared. Couldnt see any REAL spoilers there

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:15:12 PM
I think the reason why it went so fast is he doesn't want us to see everything so he only gives us glimses of the movie to tease us till May. And Reaper as far as spoilers there is one about the clones coming from Jango that is the biggest revelation of all the trailers. Also I was surprised not to see Boba at all in the trailers I wonder why? They also still kept a lot from us, We don't see Mace fight a lot we see no more of Jango vs Obi-Wan then we have really seen before, we don't learn much more about Anakin and Padme going to Tatooine, etc there is still a lot obout the movie that has not been revealed Overall I still think its a great trailer and makes me almost unable to wait until May.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:20:48 PM
I know of the Jango one, but I dont think that will be kept secret. Obi yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and a droidship explosion(I think) in TPM were far worse

Shawn
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:31:23 PM
For some reason, the thing about the clones coming from Jango didn't come as a surprise. In fact, I thought they had already mentioned that somewhere... :huh

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:36:06 PM
I think there have been rumors and speculation about it for months, but beyond that no much. I think you are right Reaper too those spoiles in the TPM revealed a lot more than anything in this movie the only thing maybe similar is when the Jedi are surrounded at the end of the trailer, of course it doesn't show what happens after that but that is about the only other major event that is revealed.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:37:42 PM
For sure the Jango Fett = clone guy is the only thing that's revealed. But really, who cares? That's not that important. They had to get a sample somewhere.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:41:45 PM
I kind of like it too, I think it gives Jango a bigger role than Darth Maul even had, heck than his son Boba really ever had unless he plays a bigger role in Ep 3.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:42:49 PM
Reasons why I loved this trailer and why I'm so excited about AOTC:

Jango: A cool SW villian that ACTUALLY has some dialogue.
A flawed Anakin; brash, reckless, and arrogant. Let the fall to the darkside begin!
Palpatine, the seducer; that one clip of him and Anakin was perfect.
Baby Star Destroyers; That's what they looked like to me, a perfect tie in to the designs and ships of the OT.
Mace fights
Count Dooku; He knows the Sith are out there and he appears DETERMINED to do something about, no matter the cost. SWEEEEETTTT! Maybe he's a Sith himself and he's just trying to seduce Obi-Wan, I don't know and I don't care. The important thing is we have another old geezer wielding a lightsaber.

ALL IS RIGHT IN THE SW UNIVERSE!!!!!!:crack

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:46:33 PM
I liked the baby AT-Ts too, also anybody notice Natalie is loosing some clothing in the Arena:) And Lee looks great the one shot is terrific and I loved that line the best one from the trailer. Though there were a couple other good ones, Mace and Palpatine each had one. Looks like we have some more dialog for the Long Countdown. One more thing this complaint was made on theforce.net boards, that Yoda looked not done or bad, mostly in that last shot of him. I admit he looked like there was still a little work in that shot but other that I thought Yoda looked pretty good in the trailer. Also I didn't understand why they chose that last piece of music in such a dark moment in the trailer? The music sounded very festive and I think it comes from ROTJ before the Battle of Endor (I think when the fleet is about read to go to Endor) I guess they didn't want to use The Duel of the Fates for the third time, not that I blame them there. Not really sure what they could have used though, unless they were trying to disguise the fact that some of those scenes are dark I am really talking about when the Jedi are all surrouned and there seem to be not many left
I think the arena battle though is going to be the highlight of the film in my opinion.

Shawn
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:53:09 PM
Maybe he's a Sith himself and he's just trying to seduce Obi-Wan:: points to JMC's sig :: :)

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:55:48 PM
Ahem - don't forget a more grown up Ms. Portman! ;)

imported_Eve
Mar 11th, 2002, 10:57:19 PM
Okay so I never cry, and these Star Wars trailers bring tears to my eyes. The AOTC trailer was SUPER! I watched it over and over.

Alot of people justified the pace of TPM (even though I LOVED it), because Lucas was setting us up for this one. I can see that now.

I also think Lucas is going to conflict the audience by making us see the logic in Anakin's turn to Palpatine. He is going to make us question whether Anakin does something we wouldn't do ourselves, and then later just rip us a new one on how evil is bad.

My favorite part of the trailer is when Anakin jumps out of the speeder/car in the Coruscant airways, and just DIVES into traffic, while Obi-Wan beats himself in the head! I get a Fifth Element vibe on that. But it's a good vibe.

Oooh can't wait to see this!

Can someone explain to me why I hear that there is a scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin are sitting in a fifties diner?

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:08:42 PM
Hmmm, hadn't heard that one - that Anakin and Obi-Wan are chilling in a 50's diner. but there is a scene where they go into a nightclub on Coruscant - maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Also there was a select pic a ways back from the official site that showed Anakin and Obi-Wan's speeder in a drive-in diner I don't know if that picture was just in fun or if it is supposed to mean something, but that could be where you heard that from. The link is here if you want to check it out: http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/select/2000/08/select20000817.html

JediBoricua
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:09:19 PM
And what about <spoiler>R2 FLYING!</spoiler>

That's something I was not expecting.

darth_mcbain
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:12:06 PM
Yeah - R2 flying was pretty darn neat. I think they were supposed to do that in Ep. I (I think he was supposed to fall off a platform and jet himself back up), but it was abandoned. I'm not sure where I heard that though. I think in one of the visual dictionary books (which BTW I didn't buy - only skimmed in the store, so don't quote me here) it listed one of his gadgets as being the rocket boosters in his legs for flying, but obviously it was something we haven't seen until now.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2002, 11:29:21 PM
Is there anything that little droid can't do????

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:25:41 AM
I think I remember reading it on theforce.net if I am not mistaken. I was hoping it would be on the DVD but I guess we still get it in away. I also like that whole thing in the factory it reminds of ANH in the garbage shoot combined with one of the old Chaplin movies, can't think of the title off hand.

JonathanLB
Mar 12th, 2002, 09:30:29 AM
Wow, that trailer was amazing. It was unquestionably the best yet. I really like all of the trailers, though, they are so cool. Four trailers/teasers this time instead of two, hehe, interesting.

I like the greater marketing push so far with Episode II. I want to see a lot more advertising than for TPM, because TPM had the benefit of a lot more hype and didn't need the advertising, but I think it was a mistake to rely just on the media for promoting the film, and there really were not enough ads after the film had already opened. I think the campaign for Episode II should be much more intense and let everyone know about the movie. It's not nearly as well publicized as TPM, which I consider a good thing for the film itself, probably cuts down on the dreaded hype, but a bad thing for SW fans because I loved the hype, haha.

This trailer was so tight, but I love the two lightsabers, one in each hand, type of deal, that was great :)

Anyone seen the thread on the trailer at RottenTomatoes? Go to http://www.rottentomatoes.com and check out the thread there.

Almost everyone there said how lousy the trailer looks and how horrible Episode II is going to be, LOL, man what a bunch of losers. I cannot even imagine how stupid you'd have to be to see a trailer that amazing and not be blown away. Eh, whatever, I guess not everyone was born to appreciate fine art. Some people are just clueless, simple as that.

May 16, or May 12 (if I go to the charity screening), cannot come soon enough! I wonder if this will be my new favorite Star Wars movie? Kind of looking like it. TPM was great, but this film gets to the meat of the plot of the prequel trilogy and clearly boasts more complicated relationships and ordeals, now that the introductions are out of the way, and the action looks way better.

In TPM, we got a battle for a planet. In Episode II, it looks like the battle for the galaxy.

However, I think from what I see of Anakin in Episode II that it's great TPM was exactly as it was. We got one movie to see the good Anakin, the promising young boy who had boundless enthusiasm and interest in the galaxy around him. I am glad he was young in that film, anyone who said he should have started at 15, ugg, that's just stupid. I'm so glad Lucas is making these movies and not the fans. The average fan is a total idiot, jesus, we'd end up with a whole trilogy of The Empire Strikes Back and with no comedy at all, probably we'd get all models too judging by how some people complain about CG that is perfect and flawless, by because the grew up with 20-year-old technology that is outdated now, they think it looks better. LOL. Oh man, you gotta love that blindness to the facts, it's charming... almost. If it weren't so annoying. "NO! The prequel trilogy is going to be way better than the original trilogy in production quality! This cannot happen, I grew up with the true Star Wars, the original trilogy! I will just go on every forum I can find and tell everyone what absolute crap these movies are and how Lucas has lost his mind." Uhh, ok buddy, have fun with that. Too bad Star Wars belongs to no generation, and to every generation. Dang, the stupidity on this earth seems boundless. As Einstein once said, human stupidity has no limits.

*drool* Episode II...

Jedieb
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:30:04 AM
The flying R2 was far enough into the production of TPM that the first HasbroR2 had rockets. He was suppose to fall off the platform when they reached Coruscant and then fly up.

"Everyone who doesn't see things my way is stupid! I'm brilliant!" Haven't we heard this 1,000 times before?

darth_mcbain
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:43:28 AM
You know - after I thought about it a while, something else I found curiously absent from this trailer (and all the other ones for Ep. II) is that Darth Sidious wasn't in it. Ok, we saw Palpatine, but not in"Sidious" garb I'm wondering if we'll be seeing him in this episode?

ReaperFett
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:44:42 AM
Dont know. But did anyone see the EU Twilek Jedi? :)

http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/AaylainAOTC.jpg

Nupraptor
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:53:10 AM
I see a blue blob... I assume that's what you're referring to?

ReaperFett
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:54:19 AM
Blue blob with Lightsabre, and shadows indicating Lekku :)

JMK
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:25:30 PM
For sure we'll see him in this movie. I can't see him not making an appearance.

darth_mcbain
Mar 12th, 2002, 02:33:42 PM
I agree - I think its likely we'll see him. And if not, he's gotta be a lock for Ep. III

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:02:06 PM
I think Darth Sidious will make an appearance in Ep 2 at least briefly, as far as the Rotten Tomatoes Boards, I went over there, a lot of them seem to be bashers maybe that is where they went after we exiled them from here:p Seriously they seemed really wacked out a few of them said AOTC would just barely make 250, I posted that I thought they knew nothing about the box office and it would do at least 350. I didn't stick around because I didn't think I would win an argument with them.

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 13th, 2002, 09:37:39 AM
True, you just can't argue with people like that. They don't like little things like facts that cloud the real issue.... ;)

I say 500.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:43:08 PM
I forgot to add did anybody else hear Darth Vader's breathing towards the end? I didn't hear it the first couple of times that I saw but after I downoaded it I hearded it is right when Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones comes up that you hear it.

darth_mcbain
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:55:32 PM
Yeah - I taped it off of TV and the 5 or 6 times I watched it, I didn't hear that breathing. Only when I downloaded the trailer off the net and watched it on my PC did I hear it.

ReaperFett
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:17:17 PM
I heard it first time. Didnt realise it was his breath until someone said though :)

JMK
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:49:00 PM
I heard it, I didn't think anything of it though. We've heard it already in some of the trailers.

Jedieb
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:04:00 PM
I heard it as well and didn't think anything of it. What first made an impression on me was the music. That little bit of music that Williams used to build up the Battle at the Sarlac was perfect, I loved it!

JMK
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:48:47 PM
YES! The music at the beginning was great. Makes you wonder what's they'll use for episode 3....

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:28:31 PM
Where was the music from the end of the trailer from? I was thinking it was ROTJ right before the Battle of Endor when the Rebel Fleet was getting ready to jump but I am not certain, have to watch it again to try to figure it out.

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:18:08 AM
I dont know where that music at the end came from.... I just listened to it again and I dont recognize it from anywhere....

Maybe its new?? Its almost happy sounding at first, then it kinda makes a desperate twist. I'll watch ROTJ again today and see if I can spot it.... Er... hear it.

Jinn Fizz
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:55:30 PM
The music was from ROJ, the forest battle music. If I had one complaint about the trailer, it was that the music didn't totally fit. But what the heck!

Thanks for the tip about the Vader breathing in the trailer! I hadn't noticed it on my videotape, so I downloaded it online last night, and yup, sure enough, the breathing is there loud and clear. Now that I know it's there, I can hear it on the videotape, but it's still not real prominent.

Since I was downloading the Clone War trailer last night at Apple, I also finally got to see the Mystery trailer. And that one has quickly become my favorite of the 4. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:58:29 PM
I guess they didn't want too gloomy music at the end of the trailer even though I am betting that will be a glooming scene it looks to me like the Jedi are getting slaughtered.

JMK
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:02:26 PM
Isn't that music from the battle in TPM? I could of sworn that's where it's from. I could be wrong though. For sure the music at the beginning is when Luke is being fed to the sarlacc.

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:24:39 PM
Well that last scene where the jedi are being surrounded can't be a slaughter, because anakin, padme, and obi-wan are in there fighting (look close and you can see them). thats not to say that alot of Jedi aren't going to take the dirt nap in this one. anyone want to make a betting poll about which jedi's are the first to die? ;)

Besides I think the real slaughter will be in episode III, because Ben talks about how "vader turns to the darkside and helps the emporer slaughter the jedi, before the dark times, before the rebellion...." (or was it "before the dark times, before the empire"?)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:34:33 PM
I don't think it will be a complete slaughter but I bet more than half the Jedi in the arena will die, that is from looking at all the weapons that are suppose to be in the arena and that last shot of them being surrounded (there don't look like that they are that many left at that point unless that is just one group and there are more somewhere else fighting). Sure I do think more will get in EP 3 but I also think that some of the Jedi won't get it in the movies. Vader will have to hunts some down because Obi-Wan says that in ANH but Vader is only going to be in for 5 minutes according to James Earl Jones, so I am guessing he will be doing most of that in between 3-4, not to say that most of them won't be gone already, I think it wasn't just Vader who kills the Jedi, Bounty Hunters, the clone wars, and maybe a couple of other things all helped in their downfall.

JMK
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:21:06 PM
I predict Ki-Adi Mundi and Kit Fisto are goners. You read it here first. :D

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:21:14 PM
Yeah, but even if James earl jones is only doing 5 minutes of dialogue, anakin can still be Darth Vader without the mask and breather - of course it wont exactly feel right to me to refer to him as vader without the suit... I think that he will turn to the darkside in the first half of episode III.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if in episode III we will learn why he chooses the name "Vader".... something to think about..

And I say that everyone who goes to geonosis dies except the main cast - yoda, anakin, obi-wan, and padme. Oh and artoo and threepio too.

JMK
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:50:12 PM
Geez Starquest, I REALLY hope we don't see Vader without the armor. The way I think it's going to go down is Anakin will get hauled out of the lava, and then we'll see Vader not knowing that he's actually Anakin, thus retaining the surprise GL wants when Vader reveals who he really is.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:35:43 PM
I think Mace, Ki-Adi are both safe not sure about the others like Adi Gallia or Kit Festo, I think majority will die in the arena though. As far as Vader I don't think he will turn right way I think he will have a confrontaion with Sidious's aprentice, who ever that might be and then defeate (kind of the opposite of what happened to Luke) then Obi-Wan battles him out with him and he falls into something, and then we seem as Vader at the very end. Not sure how the rest of the film will go like how the other Jedi will die (I think there will be some left just not any major characters) and if Boba Fett will make an appereance or not (I sure hope he does) it will be interesting to see but we still have to go through EP 2 before we can speculate much farther.

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 18th, 2002, 09:09:37 AM
Actually I was just thinking here, and five minutes of dialogue can go a long way.... in ANH vader probably has maybe 10 minutes of good dialogue spread out through the whole movie, so if James Earl Jones is recording five solid minutes of dialogue, then that could be spread out through alot of movie time....

Just food for thought.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:46:18 PM
I am not sure if there is a time for Vader to be in a lot, becase if Dooku survies there will have to be a show down with him, also Anakin would have to fall to darkside at one point, the Jedi Purge would have to begin, and then there would a battle with Obi-Wan which would cause Anakin's disfigurement, I just don't see that happening in the first hour of the movie, I suspect it will happen in the last 1/3 and Vader will show up at the very end which would be a good place for him to enter

darth_mcbain
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:54:13 PM
I agree - I was under the impression that we wouldn't be seeing Vader (in the suit, that is) until the very end of Ep. III. I don't know, but I am assuming that Dooku will play into Ep. III (just a guess) and I also think will play a role in Anakin's downfall and turn.

In addition, as Carr pointed out, we have to take into account the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin - and unless GL is really playing his cards close to the vest with what he's shown us in the trailers, we won't be seeing that in Ep. II, that has got to take place in Ep. III. Further, if that fight does take place in Ep. III, it would have to be in the middle or end of the movie (I don't think you'd see something that momentous early on - it would hurt the flow of the storytelling IMHO).

Lastly, I think it would make sense for him to turn at the end of III, because he returns at the end of VI, and it would make for a nice flow of events. The first three movies deal with his fall and end with him turning to the dark side. The last three movies deal with his redemption and end with him returning to the good side.

Anyway, those are the reasons I don't think we'll see Vader until the very end of III.

Doc Milo
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:32:22 PM
IMO, Anakin falling to the dark side, and seeing Anakin as Vader in the suit are two separate events. (After all, why would Obi-Wan be fighting Anakin unless Anakin had already fallen?)

If I remember correctly, Lucas said something about betrayal being a major theme in this trilogy. If that is the case, I would not be surprised if Anakin falls by the end of two, but hides it from the Jedi -- I woud further not be surprised if he uses the name Vader before ever donning the suit. Nor would I be surprised if part of his role in the Jedi Purge is to lure the Jedi into their slaughter (small groups at a time -- some, maybe, individually.)

darth_mcbain
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:38:24 PM
Good points, Doc, and I agree - when I said I don't think we'll see Vader until the end of III, I meant that we won't see him in the Vader suit. That is not to say, though, that he isn't Vader unless he has the suit. Depending on how far he falls and when, he might be Darth Vader before donning the suit.

Personally, I think that he won't officially "fall" until after his duel with Obi-Wan, but I think he's going to be going downhill fast in II and III and will definitely exhibit some Dark Side tendencies.

What will actually come in III, though, is anyone's guess.

JMK
Mar 18th, 2002, 02:49:46 PM
I agree. We won't be seeing Vader till the end of episode 3.

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 19th, 2002, 02:03:35 PM
I think I'm goint to be torn between Dooku and Jango Fett for my favorite character...a lot of people said something about Anakin using both sabers, but did anyone else notice that Dooku is fighting him with one saber, and only one hand? I'm really thinking that we may see a lot of Dooku's style/personality that influences Vader...the statement to Obi Wan sounded so much like Vader, plus, watching the way he effortlessly fights Anakin one handed looked a lot like the Vader/Luke fight in ESB...

darth_mcbain
Mar 19th, 2002, 02:09:05 PM
You know - I had seen that and meant to mention something about that, but forgot. I think you are right - I think Dooku's style will have some influence on Anakin's/Vader's style later on. Most notably, as you observed, Dooku appears to duel with one hand (at least from what we've seen), and that is exactly how Vader starts his duel with Luke in ESB...

I also have to say that I am very impressed with what we've seen of Dooku's fighting (what little of it we've seen). I was afraid that as he is older, he wouldn't be able to create the dynamic fighting scenes like we've seen in Ep. I, but when he is fighting against Anakin with the two sabers, he seems to move so quickly, gracefully, and elegantly that I think we will all be impressed with his fighting. A little different than Maul's, I think... Maul was just unbridled fury lashing out at the Jedi, where Dooku seems to be more restrained, more graceful, yet just as deadly.

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 19th, 2002, 05:12:30 PM
There are also some big round ships (one of the scenes with all the troops, don't quite remember) that look just like the dropships from the MechWarrior games, if anyone's ever played them...

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:33:52 AM
Actually if you check out Dooku's style it is very defensive in nature, very controlled. At least it looks that way from the trailers. Kinda like he is just waiting out the fight for the right opportunity.

Dooku also appears to be using a fencing-type stance (anyone fence in here? I dont, but I've watched alot of it) while holding off Anakin.

I think Vader only uses one hand in ESB cause he knows that luke is not a jedi, so he holds back. If you watch the progression of the bespin fight you will see that Vader gets more and more aggressive throughout the fight because Luke keeps putting him off from his "easy" capture.

JMK
Mar 21st, 2002, 01:14:26 PM
Vader clearly underestimated Luke in their Bespin duel. His frustration was evident as the fight progressed, culminating with the loss of Luke's hand.

darth_mcbain
Mar 21st, 2002, 01:30:00 PM
Yeah, when the fight first starts Vader doesn't seem to be going all that hard - he seems to almost treat the duel as an exercise. You can tell he doesn't think much of Luke's abilities at first when he says "All too easy...", but again and again Luke impresses him with his skill until at the end Vader is going pretty hard and ultimately takes Luke's hand.

On a side note, in the final segment of Luke and Vader's battle on Bespin where Vader lunges out at Luke from hiding, how did Vader "mask" his breathing? Luke was looking around in that room and didn't hear anything until Vader was right on top of him.

Doc Milo
Mar 21st, 2002, 02:06:51 PM
My assumption on that would be that the air surrounding the catwalks was blowing, and thus it was difficult to hear him?

JMK
Mar 21st, 2002, 04:11:46 PM
I would think that's the explanation too.

Jargon Chasseur
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:44:58 AM
Or maybe he just held his breath. Slipped into a sort of meditation. Or maybe he took shallow, quick breaths.

I see Obi-wan losing his sabre and Anikin using it to fight Dooku.

I have a few predictions. Mainly hunches:

Anikin uses the Force for revenge, and sees the power of the Dark Side. I see it closely connected to his mother. Perhaps he seeks revenge for someone killing his mother? For some reason I think that'll happen.

I also see Jango Fett dying. Maybe killed by Mace Windu. I remember an interview where Samuel stated that Lucas told him he'd more than likely be up for MTV's "best fight scene", or something like that. I suspect he kills Jango in a hugh fight, the background being Genosis(or whatever you call that new sandy planet). I also see Mace living onto Ep. III.

I believe Boba will make an appearance in Ep. III, perhaps killing Mace as revenge? Doesn't Vader comment to Boba along the lines of not killing his prey, that Vader sends him for. This was something I read, because I don't personally remember it. Maybe this is a hint to something Boba did in the past.

I think Dooku is trying to appeal to Obi-Wan's deeply hidden anger towards the Sith. A Sith killed his beloved Master. So Dooku promises that he is on his side, and that he should join him. Just as I believe that Vader appealed to Luke's longing for a family and a bigger life than a farmboy.

Anikin and Padme will get married. I also see them being forbidden to marry. But they do it anyway, last scene.

Anikin is famed as a hero and this goes to his head. I see him using the Dark Side to fight Dooku, something that throughout the movie he'll find easier. It makes him more confident that the Dark Side is an appropriate tool for a Jedi. Leading him down the path to becoming Vader.

I see Dooku excaping with his life and one of the last scenes being him commenting on Anikin's Dark Side presence to Sidious.

All of this is just logical guessing. I'm probably 100% wrong.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Mar 28th, 2002, 11:08:17 AM
You are more right than you realize.

Jargon Chasseur
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:36:17 PM
I also have my sources... So it's not completely guess work. But my sources could be considerably wrong.

My sources? Rumors, that I've jumbled together to created a half baked idea. Also, in one of the four trailers, right before the title comes up, Anikin is striking someone. I predict it is a Tuskan Raider, from his clothing. Could have ramification, eh?