PDA

View Full Version : Updating Censor (please read)

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:56:18 PM

ape****

****hole

wise****

Note: I have removed the '{}' from around 's h i t' and 'a r s e' which automatically bleeps them no matter where they are used, since I couldn't see any reason why any combined words using them would be appropriate.

(I did this after seeing Hart posting 'ape****' in EU without it being censored)

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:59:27 PM
****ing good idea ya wanker :)

(Testing those ones)

EDIT- There's one to add :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:00:04 PM
Another thing - do we perhaps want to replace using the symbol '*' when bleeping out words and replace it with something more noticeable (and annoying)?

One forum I post one uses the word 'FLAME', so when someone posts something bleeped out it looks like this:

Oh I had such a FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEing horrible day.
It can be anything, but using something like that might make people think twice about swearing. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:01:42 PM
flame isnt good, because it isnt neccesarily flaming. And you cant say BLEEP, that is what some say anyway

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:02:40 PM
Oh, and Fewd said "fscking crap". I've seen fsuk used before, so could we get that cut too?

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:03:04 PM
I've put in 'w a n k e r' to be bleeped out. :)

It doesn't have to be either of those words - just something that looks kind of stupid if someone tries to swear their head off. ;)

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:05:19 PM
You could have I-AM-A-MORON :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:07:11 PM
Something a little more polite methinks. :)

I've added in 'f s c k' and 'f ! c k" to be bleeped now.

Testing:

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:12:46 PM
Ok, let's try this then

It's been a -DO NOT SWEAR--DO NOT SWEAR--DO NOT SWEAR--DO NOT SWEAR-ing lousy day!

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:15:26 PM
Oh -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- you you -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- sucker!

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:16:08 PM
Maybe tone the number of times it appears down :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:21:10 PM
You can't - it appears automatically for every letter of the censored word. The only way to cut it down would be to reduce the 'DO NOT SWEAR' message. :)

But it looks pretty stupid, which was my aim. :p

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:22:59 PM
true :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 8th, 2002, 09:33:15 PM
:: does some more tinkering ::

Hmmm. For some reason I can't get the board to re-update itself with the change of censor symbol, which is why earlier posts still use the '*' symbol.

On the other hand, that might be a good thing, since some people were a bit lax about swearing until we reinforced the policy recently. :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 9th, 2002, 01:37:37 AM
Well following my updates Morgan's post now looks a bit different:

I'm not going to use the new Morpheus. Anything that bluescreens win2k is -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-ing crap.
:)

I should probably point out that sirdizzy (who swears every 2nd post) queried whether it was a bit too much or not in the same thread. Here it is:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=194017

Shawn
Mar 9th, 2002, 01:51:38 AM
I say we replace all instances of swear words with "Daffodils" :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 9th, 2002, 02:05:21 AM
But it doesn't express the same point, though it would probably look equally as stupid. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 9th, 2002, 06:48:54 AM
If he didnt swear, it wouldnt be too much :)

ReaperFett
Mar 9th, 2002, 06:55:41 AM
BTW, are retard and crap ok words? I dont know what you consider crap over there, but over here its one of those more bad words everyone says, like bloody :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 9th, 2002, 11:54:13 PM
Well crap I'm not too bothered with - depends on its usage. The same with retard, since that word can be used without offense behind it (eg. a discussion on retardedness in people that's serious). Words that are presently censored are only really used as coarse language.

BTW Shawn:

I'm going to see if it's possible to implement a hack which only replaces foul language with a singular instance of "Do Not Swear" instead.
I would advise against this. The whole reason for changing the censor to use -DO-NOT-SWEAR- was so that it would make it so obvious within the post that it looks stupid and will hopefully encourage people to refrain from swearing.

If you cut it down, it doesn't look as noticeable or stupid and therefore IMHO it won't encourage people to stop swearing.

EDIT: sirdizzy pointed it out well:

sensors aren't bad its when the sensor is 10 times the length of the word your sensoring when it gets bad
... which goes to show the point. :)

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:40:43 PM
Replace each swear with "I am a pantywaist."

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:32:04 PM
I don't think people will like seeing that .... course that is the idea LOL

Shawn
Mar 12th, 2002, 11:36:04 PM
I still like "Daffodils". :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:49:00 PM
Testing:

parse

Sanis Prent
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:50:21 PM
okay :)

Well I'm also curious why such a tame word like "A R S E" would be censored?

and I say we should replace all censored curse words with "Mmmkay!"

TheHolo.Net
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:52:57 PM
I think the obnoxiousness of the current terms is more a deterrent that MmmKay or daffodils would be.

ReaperFett
Mar 13th, 2002, 01:55:08 PM
Yep, makes it obvious

Champion of the Force
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:15:56 PM
Well I'm also curious why such a tame word like "A R S E" would be censored?
I put that one in - I consider a more degoratory term than just plain old 'ass' (which isn't censored). If you disagree we can remove it if you want.

I think the obnoxiousness of the current terms is more a deterrent that MmmKay or daffodils would be.
Exactly. How many normal posters are going to persist in saying their having a **** of a day or are ****ing sick of it all if the censor proceeds to take up half their message? Should be a nice deterrent. :)

Charley
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:25:50 PM
We could always use the "expletive deleted" of Jay and Silent Bob fame.

Shawn
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:30:26 PM
I put that one in - I consider a more degoratory term than just plain old 'ass' (which isn't censored). If you disagree we can remove it if you wantMust be a locality thing. o_O Personally, I use "a r s e" as a less offensive form of "ass".

ReaperFett
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:32:41 PM
I personally say a r s e and a s s are exactly the same, as it always is over here :)

I would say though, dont ever do a s s, as it was in a SW book

Champion of the Force
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:39:53 PM
Well most of the time I have seen 'ass' used is usually in the form of a joke (eg. 'You silly ass'). This is probably linked to the fact it's another term for a donkey. :)

'A rse' on the otherhand seems to be less common and from what I've seen tends to take on more offensive tones when it is used. It doesn't have the alternate definition that 'ass' does.

:: shrugs ::

Up to you. I just put it in as was updating the censored list. Take it out if you wish ('a rsehole' and 'a sshole' are both individually censored already).

We could always use the "expletive deleted" of Jay and Silent Bob fame.
That would also probably work. As long as it stands out clearly and lets the user know that language isn't acceptable (something which 'Daffodils' and 'Mmmmkay' don't do IMHO).

TheHolo.Net
Mar 13th, 2002, 06:54:30 PM
My own personal preference would be to not have any censorship in place, but I have already come to realize that there are some here that are not mature enough to refrain from using such things. So I say censor whatever you feel is appropriate.

Shawn
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:06:42 PM
I agree: Do whatever you feel is needed. But I honestly thought 'a rse' was more innocent than 'ass'. When I noticed it was censored, I was wondering why you had done one and not the other.

Then again, I have a very eclectic, colloquial way of speaking: I use 'Bloody' as a toned down F-word in the same way.

<font size="1">No, I swear I'm not secretly a Brit</font> o_O

Champion of the Force
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:48:00 PM
'A rse' and 'ass' tend to go hand in hand. I always saw 'ass' as the American way of saying 'a rse' (after watching all those Beverly Hills Cop films :) ).

I merely censored the word based on my own observations on how the word was used on the forums. 'Ass' seems to only be used as a joking manner that I personally don't consider offensive, whereas 'a rse' tends to be more questionable.

Most people tend to use 'ass' anyway so I don't think there'll be any real problems over it's use.

My own personal preference would be to not have any censorship in place, but I have already come to realize that there are some here that are not mature enough to refrain from using such things.
I know what you mean. A forum I used to visit followed a similar idea in regards to censorship but within 6 months the old community was destroyed and replace by teenagers who think posting **** 100 times in a post was cool.

It sucks we have to monitor all this but I believe it's all for creating a respectable and comfortable community.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 13th, 2002, 07:56:30 PM
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm nota completely against it for the very reasons you specified, I would just prefer if we didn't have to take such measures, but reality is reality.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 11:59:32 PM
I'm just curious what words are censored? I know the F- word is and you mentioned a couple of others, the reason why I ask is that I notice somebody use b a s t a r d and it wasn't censored.

Charley
Mar 14th, 2002, 01:37:44 AM
All you mother-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-ers are gonna pay, You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- your mothers while you watch and cry like little bitches. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-s who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-, then -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- out our -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-, then eat their -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- which is made up of our -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- that we made 'em eat. Then you're all -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-ing next.

Love,

Jay and Silent Bob

Sorry, just got curious :D

Champion of the Force
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:56:35 AM
Carr - I'll e-mail you a list of the censored words (saves trying to alter them all to beat the censor here).

PS. Regarding bastard - I don't know whether that should be censored or not. I haven't seen it much used here so I've never thought of it.

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:04:34 AM
Well, I leave it in your hands - you're usually better at these types of things. :)

Charley
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:30:11 AM
I think we should leave it as it is, personally. I would rather not sterilize the language in here TOO much, as some of these metaphors are quite useful.

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2002, 10:48:35 AM
Most swear words can be replaced by another word. Anyone mature can change it :)

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 12:44:24 PM
Yes, they can. But sometimes, replacing them is ridiculous. Maturity has nothing to do with it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:28:18 PM
Thanks I guess less it becomes a problem we don't need to ban it, there is also son of a ***** but I haven't even seen that here at all so far, still both are used on regular TV now pretty commonly so they aren't consider as vulgar as the rest.

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:18:04 PM
Ug... I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that some people find the new filter humorous, and are gratuitously tossing in swear words because they think it's funny.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:22:24 PM
I hadn't seen it in but one thread, but I don't read all the topics in the General section either. Kinda sounds like something sirdizzy or Ahnk would do though.

Shawn
Mar 14th, 2002, 05:27:17 PM
Noticed Gue doing it, and Ahnk did it not that long ago.

Champion of the Force
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:04:19 PM
I think we should leave it as it is, personally.
I agree. I think it should be left as is and only added to if we see a poster using a word that is deemed inappropriate on this board. We've got most of the main offensive terms used already anyway.

Ug... I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that some people find the new filter humorous, and are gratuitously tossing in swear words because they think it's funny.
Give them the standard warning about how swearing is disallowed, and if they persist ban them. If they don't take the warning seriously that's their own problem.

Champion of the Force
Mar 14th, 2002, 07:10:34 PM
Update: I checked out the thread where Gue was swearing.

It's stupid but I think for now we should just let these 'one-off' instances slide. He only did it once.

If people continue to persist in the near future though I think warnings will be fair game.