PDA

View Full Version : A.I

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:22:57 PM
I rented it on DVD the other day just to watch it again, and saw it last night. First off I know agree with you CMJ those were robots at the end, I first thought they were Aliens but then you told me they were robots, I first doubted you but watching the movie again it made some sense. I also thought they kind of resemelbed the statue for Cybertech that you saw in the beginning and toward the end. I have one thing that bugged me if they were so advanced why couldn't they just create a robot version of Monica for David? Though I guess that would defeat the purpose for the end of the movie, because the Robot wouldn't be loving him by choice really but told to love him. I still very much like the movie though it wasn't my favorite movie of the year defintely though in my top 10 of the films I saw from last year. I also think it deserved the two Oscars for Visual Effects and Score, Williams probably deserves an Oscar for this movie, but I think it won't get it because he has won so many in the past and also he is nominated twice which will probably negate him anyway.

sirdizzy
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:09:59 PM
i thought the movie was great its sad it didn't do more money people don't know what they missed

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:12:44 PM
I think somepeople got confused by the movie because it was much darker for a Spielberg film, also you have the whole Kubrick curse going for you too, every film he has made since 2001 has been a failure at the box office.

darth_mcbain
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:37:37 PM
I enjoyed it, but I can see why it didn't do so hot at the box office. It is a lot of your typical Kubrick fare (with a Spielbergian twist, but Kubrick at heart nonetheless), where a lot of the enjoyment of the movie comes after the fact when you ponder some of the messages and try to figure out exactly what was going on. A movie-goer looking for some mindless entertainment (or at least entertainment where you don't have to think all that much) would probably not enjoy it as much and that probably contributed to it not doing well.

Good flick though - certainly not my favorite, but still worth watching.

Mu Satach
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:38:22 PM
I loved A.I.

I'm going to have to watch it again now. :)

JonathanLB
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:16:51 PM
Sweet! I'm watching it too in just a few minutes. I meant to get to it Tuesday, then Wednesday, but today ended up being the day where I have time.

I love A.I. It is definitely not mindless entertainment, although I found it enjoyable throughout, not just after you have already seen it. I just loved the movie from start to finish. It was gripping, visually stunning, extremely well directed, the music was great, Teddy was great, hehe, Osment was great too, Jude Law is awesome in it.

I want to know who that super hot chick is that appears for just 1.5 seconds of the film or something, she was the female version of Jude Law I think, haha ;) She's dang hot.

Time to go watch/review A.I. in a few mins, hehe.

darth_mcbain
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:43:22 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
I want to know who that super hot chick is that appears for just 1.5 seconds of the film or something, she was the female version of Jude Law I think, haha ;) She's dang hot.

According to IMDB, Gigolo Jane was played by Ashley Scott.

CMJ
Mar 7th, 2002, 08:14:59 PM
"A.I." was the best film of 2001. Thats all I'll say now...I might give more thoughts if/when I eveer post my 10 favorite films of 2001(plus a handful on honrable mentions ;)).

Shawn
Mar 7th, 2002, 09:21:59 PM
I really liked A.I. Saw it in the theaters, and I bought it as soon as I could. And I still attest that Haley is one freaky little kid! :eek

The theory about the things at the end being robots does seem to make sense, now that I think about it. I simply thought that they were whatever had replaced human beings, the same way humans replaced dinosaurs.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2002, 06:53:37 AM
I am glad to hear you say that, CMJ, hehe, at least a movie we both agree is very good. I thought LOTR was the best film of the year, but A.I. was JUST a little bit behind. I really love A.I., I've now seen it three times, one more than LOTR, and for me at least, it definitely is an emotionally gripping film aside from being an intellectual one. I mean, you really do care about David's quest for becoming a real boy, and I don't see how anyone could watch it without being drawn in, but that's just me.

My dad saw it with me tonight, I thought I should get him to see it. He knows I usually recommend only good films to him. I gave him my Tombstone DVD the other night, a few days ago, and he loved that movie, so did my mom (it's a great film, what can you say, hehe). I wasn't totally sure if my dad would like A.I., though, because it's just hard to know with sci-fi movies, he is not into them as much. He really liked it, though, he thought it should have been a best picture contender and he kept remarking about how wonderful the cinematography was. He loved the story, loved the way Spielberg directed it (specifically, "It's amazing how many great films one guy can make" -- amen to that!), and thought the acting was great too.

I personally just do not understand how someone could not appreciate this film. It even had a few great cameo's, which always add just a little extra for me, Chris Rock and Robin Williams specifically. Then Teddy, does he not steal that show?!?! Teddy is the man, err, the bear! LOL :) Jude Law is great, though, he really is great in A.I. But Osment obviously carries the film since he is the main character and he's probably the best child actor ever.

I just love everything about it, and I love the visuals and the general feel of the movie, the different acts of it, about three by my count, and although I think it could have ended at the one "false ending," if you know what I mean, I appreciated the final ending and would rather have it there than not there. I like the movie just as is, it's a dang short 2 hours and 25 minutes ;)

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2002, 07:47:36 AM
Yeah..loved the cinematography. :) At the very least I thought Kaminski deserved a nod(I knew it would get shut out in the major categories...to devisive a film). Oh well....:)

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:07:31 AM
Here is my full review of A.I. I am still working on my darn DVD commentary, but this is the longest review I have ever written (formally). I usually keep my reviews to three paragraphs only, but this film deserved more and in three paragraphs, I could barely describe its excellence or talk about the movie. With most other movies, it's more than enough, actually, because they are long paragraphs anyway. Plus, I generally believe people want to see shorter reviews so that they can figure out whether or not they want to see it, but in this case I need to go into depth and it deserves that, so do any of the top films of a year...

A.I. (2001)
Jonathan L. Bowen

In the distant future, the ice caps have melted and great coastal cities such as New York have fallen into the ocean, with only the tips of the skyscrapers rising above the water. The richest nations have restricted child births to licensed parents only and robots that look exactly like humans perform many labor tasks, although they lack true empathy and love, until David (Haley Joel Osment). Monica and Henry Swinton have a real son, but he is suspended in a cryogenic type of device until scientists find the cure for his disease.

Henry, who does not want to see his wife distraught and grieving, accepts his company’s offer to give him David, a prototype model for a new kind of robot that is permanently a young child. When Martin Swinton returns from the hospital after doctors finally find a cure, though, not much time passes before Henry wants David gone, so Monica leaves him in the woods instead of returning him to the factory, where they would destroy him. David wants to become a real boy so that his mom will love him again and he searches the world for the answers, and ultimately, his love drives him, not just his A.I.

Steven Spielberg directed A.I., but based on an idea that the late Stanley Kubrick had, so the film really is an interesting mix of two styles. In a few parts, it seems to have the same sense of wonder and visual grandeur for which Spielberg is famous in movies such as Jurassic Park (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1997), but especially in the first act of the movie, Kubrick’s influence is definitely evident. Spielberg really never has made a movie quite like A.I., which is not an obvious dramatic Oscar attempt such as Schindler’s List (1993) or Saving Private Ryan, nor is it a crowd pleasing blockbuster like Jaws (1975) or Jurassic Park. Nevertheless, it is one of the best movies that one of the best directors has ever made.

Most importantly, A.I. is a thought-provoking film that forces audiences to ponder the question of whether or not a synthetic being, a robot, can truly love. David’s love seems just as real as any child, and if he is capable of love, indeed if any robot is capable of love and intelligent thought, why would they not deserve equal, humane treatment? Many films, including Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982), have raised the same question, so the moral dilemma is not new, but Spielberg presents it in a manner that is extremely effective and emotionally gripping. The movie’s story is excellent and moves along quickly, even though the film is just short of two hours and thirty minutes. Although many people argue it could have ended with the first “false ending,” the actual conclusion is more satisfying and seems like a Spielberg touch, almost reminiscent of E.T., Spielberg’s other two-letter titled film.

Aside from great directing, wonderful acting, and a great story and screenplay that make A.I. an intellectual delight, the film is visually stunning too. The film is not heavy on special effects, which is rare for a Spielberg movie, but the cinematography is masterful and the sets, miniatures, and models are all great. Also, John Williams’ soundtrack is one of his best in recent years, although nearly everything he scores is fantastic, from Jaws to Star Wars (1977) to Superman (1978) to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and more, Williams is the greatest movie music composer ever.

The opening act of A.I., even much of the movie in general, almost have the same feeling as Gattaca (1997), which is to say A.I. is a more adult sci-fi film that relies on intelligence and great storytelling, not effects and aliens. A.I. is nothing short of a masterpiece and one of the three best films of 2001, which is why it deserves such a lengthy, complete review of its merits.

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:11:10 AM
Nice review Jon...one of the better ones I read. :)

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:50:07 AM
I guess someone had to write a really good, i.e. really positive, review of it. I feel that my evaluation explains why I liked it, though, if someone asks what made it a good film, that's what I have to say. :)

My DVD comments are forthcoming, but, uh, have you seen the DVD set yet?! LOL. Too much bonus material, which is obviously a very good thing, except that it really is NOT easy to do this, I don't slack off on my job here, I see every part of a DVD, I don't just make general comments and say it has a nice DVD set. So seeing all of the bonus material and the film and reviewing it all is easily a six hour project...

Oh well, it is fun.

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:53:53 AM
No I don't, as of yet, own the DVD. I will soon hopefully, but I really can't afford it right now(plus my Mom hinted she might buy it for me). :)

sirdizzy
Mar 8th, 2002, 12:13:57 PM
i saw AI twice in the theatres and am goign to buy the dvd

i don't know why everyone seems to think movies have to be happy and lollypop filled

Empire is the darkest of the star wars movies and is by far the fav amongst most fans

i disliked the ending a little of AI i felt that spielberg changed it to make it lighter

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2002, 02:48:13 PM
Lighter? I felt the ending to "A.I" was extermely bleak. I think most people got a different impression from the end than I did however.

Mu Satach
Mar 8th, 2002, 06:03:24 PM
I guess from a certain angle the ending could be seen as lighter as opposed to blue fairy ending.

but when you think about it that it's saying we basicly destroyed ourselves and that only the robots remain afterwards is extremely bleak and that last day David has with is Mom had me almost sobbing in the theater.

sirdizzy
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:21:24 PM
yea i felt it should have ended in ths ship with him praying to the blue fairy and just faded to black

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2002, 12:31:32 AM
The ending was defintely bleak, I have to say that, I still like Spielberg's one the other one would have just left everything unresolved.

CMJ
Mar 9th, 2002, 12:50:23 AM
In a wierd sort of way...the false closure at the end of the movie is more bleak than if it had just ended with him under the ocean forever. To me at least. :P

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2002, 12:59:12 AM
I disagree because at least he got what he wanted all a long to hear that she loved him but that is just my opinion.

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2002, 01:56:39 AM
Well it was a somewhat happy ending I guess, but I definitely felt the last 30 minutes or so even was quite sad. Just the way the whole underwater scene is shot, where he is looking at the blue fairy, that was very powerful. I think it was such an amazingly well done film, I really fail to see how any critic could give it short of 3.5 stars at least, but whatever. It's already very obvious that most critics have no taste in film.

I wonder where they lost it? Surely one day long ago they must have enjoyed movies, now they just don't seem to appreciate anything good.

Champion of the Force
Mar 9th, 2002, 02:01:36 AM
Well I enjoyed the film, but at the same time I wasn't 100% satisfied. I don't know - something just felt 'wrong' somewhere that prevented me from being totally satisfied with it.

Maybe it was the length - I did feel that some places just lagged a bit where a bit of trimming up would have helped. :\

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2002, 03:23:02 AM
Well it is a long film, but I don't think any of it could have or should have been cut. It was perfect length as it was.

By the way, about the ending, the DVD confirms what we were talking about. I mean, it was pretty obvious the second time I saw it, but the first I wasn't paying as much attention I guess. The DVD clears that up, though, hehe.

sirdizzy
Mar 9th, 2002, 05:08:13 AM
it was too long because of the extra ending which was anonother half hour

CMJ
Mar 9th, 2002, 09:30:15 AM
Jedi Master Carr...

David got to see a fax simile of his mother...one that didn't remember anything but him. Remember she had no memories of her son or husband...just David.

So IMHO the super mecha's basically put him to sleep. They create the "perfect" Mom for David(instead of the other way around, i.e. beginning of the film) and her whole world is him. He has 1 fun day(after what...yearing for 2 thousand years?) and she dies...and he shuts down.

I don't see that as a very happy ending.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2002, 11:40:48 AM
We don't really know what happens to David at the end really, I think the ending really is kind of interpretive ( I also think the whole story is not preaching this is the way the world is going to end or something but is trying to teach a moral lesson but that is just my opinion) My problem with the Mechas putting David to sleep is why would they do this is they think he is so important to him, that wouldn't really make any sense, wouldn't they be better served if is still around? That is why I wondered why they didn't create a mecha version of her they seemed very advanced from what I could tell (I guess it could take a while). Now he might have fallen asleep on his own and kind of became a real boy, that to me would make more sense.