PDA

View Full Version : Canada won't get trailer for television

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2002, 10:53:48 PM
Ok for all those SW fans in Canada it looks like you might not get the trailer on the 10th according to theforce.net here is the story

Neil writs in with this concern:
Being Canadian, I am quite concerned about the trailer viewing on FOX. The CRTC (the Cdn. FCC) forces the cable companies, satellite companies etc. to switch their American Fox tv feeds to use a local one. ie Global TV. If the superbowl has taught me nothing, it is that the commercial break might get axed up her in favor of the required Canadian feed of commercials. Just a concern. Maybe you have more info?
Surge e-mailed Global TV for us, and they told him that they will not be showing the new trailer. Looks like many folks from the North will be making a 2 minute and 30 second appearance at the Ice Age premiere.
Update: A few solutions from readers. First from GeneralSolo15:

If you live in Canada and have satellite, you shouldn't have to worry about not seeing the trailer. While the Regulations Board will block Global TV's feed, and also feeds on cable, anyone on satellite shouldn't have to worry if they get a genuine FOX station. For instance, I'm with Star Choice, and I get FOX Seattle, and FOX Rochester in New York. Neither of them have been affected by the Regulations Board in the past. American ads come through all the time.
And SLam suggests the following:

Just a bit of info to avoid a mass exodus of people from Canada to hotels and motels along the US border.
The CRTC's rules only cover cable and satelite programming. If you're along the border, you can pick up FOX over the antenna. arg... now I have to dig up my UHF antenna

Also I am pretty sure the thing will be available on the internet minutes after they show it so everybody in the world will get to see it.

JMK
Mar 6th, 2002, 11:03:50 PM
This makes me sad. :cry

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:09:51 AM
I'm sorry JMK, I forgot you live in Canada :( Well, at least you can download it pretty much after it airs, and I am almost certain the OS will post it at midnight because of the bootleg copies that will exist.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:55:39 AM
"At least you can DL it" - Yeah, but at worse quality

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:58:06 AM
Frame by frame scrutiny can be so much fun though. :D

darth_mcbain
Mar 7th, 2002, 08:51:42 AM
Downloading it is better than not seeing it at all, though...

JMK
Mar 7th, 2002, 09:04:16 AM
Screw that! I'm looking into getting a satellite before sunday! That or going over to a friend's place to watch. The frame by frame scrutiny is fun, except for the squinting. And despite the fact that I have a cable modem, every trailer I download is soooo slow. The speech is like 5 seconds ahead of picture. Drives me nuts. :verymad

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:03:07 PM
How close do you live to the border? You could always use an UHF attenia, if you don't live too far away.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 07:38:23 PM
Well JMK you it looks like you will be able to download it pretty quick because on theforce.net there was this
I work for Canoe, a news site here in Quebec (http://www.Canoe.qc.ca, part of Quebecor Media). After reading your article concerning the new trailer not being shown here in Canada I asked some of my collegues to do some investigating on the matter.
They called the CRTC, the Global TV network and they confirmed that the trailer wouldn't be showing next Sunday here in Canada. So we called LucasFilm directly and spoke to Lynne Hale, director of promotion, for some explanation. Although she confirmed the information and explained why, she also told us that the trailer will be available on the Star Wars web site on March 10 as soon as the showing on Fox was on.

Well at least there will be a good version available at about the same time not just for Canada but the whole world. And if you want to tape I am sure if you watch some show Access Hollywood, CNN Headline News (For the last one they showed it once every hour), ET, E News Daily I am sure they will all show it.

JMK
Mar 7th, 2002, 09:06:35 PM
I saw that! I knew it would come out online faster than expected!:crack

BUFFJEDI
Mar 8th, 2002, 10:54:57 AM
entertainment weekly has a shot of it in the march 8th issue , it shows mace with his saber in the big battle pit :) I'm so excited

JMK
Mar 8th, 2002, 11:49:05 AM
I only live about an hour and a half from the new york border, but we have cable and our antenna won't pull in the signal from fox 44, it's always weak.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2002, 02:49:48 PM
That stinks, For what it is worth, theforce.net has a shot by shot description up. I haven't read it, I think I am going to resist the temptation to read it.

JMK
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:14:30 PM
I'll wait another few hours to download it. Can't wait!