PDA

View Full Version : A, er, Not so Modest Proposal

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:18:51 PM
Its a pretty simple thing:

We start right after the Thrawn trilogy. Those who are Jedi/ Sith Masters can keep their rank if they so wish, but you have to write a different backstory: its a bit easier for the Jedi (Outbound Flight, hiding like Yoda did), but I'm sure everyone is creative enough to do it.

Anyway, I picked the specific time for a reason: The Empire and the NR are on fairly even strength, and there is room for a new Imperial warlord to step up and consolidate (cough maybe Visc cough).

We could also do it right after ROTJ, but I personally felt that Zahn'z work added a lot of depth to the universe, especially in terms of politics and smuggling, etc etc etc.

I'm personally going to be ditching my rank. Maybe Ogre could play Luke Skywalker. I think he'd do the Character justice. I think who plays Luke (and maybe Talon Karrde) are the biggest issues, aside from willingness to do it.

It probably will be shot down here and now, but I think everyone is a bit too entrenched with SWFans history and its stifiling creativity in some ways.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:31:11 PM
That's fine........if you liked TTT. If you didnt, or haven't read them, you're basically jumping to somewhere you dont like.

Also, this means dumping all the work some people have put in before. EVERYTHING done is lost. So what was the point of the last two 1/4 years?

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:36:06 PM
Also(Putting here in case someone cuts in while editing), a better time to start IMO would be after Darksabre. After TTT, the Empire was divided by bickering and power hungry Moffs. After Daala killed them all, and then resigned, Peallon basically had the entire Imperial might under his reign. You also have a Jedi Academy, meaning that Every Jedi doesnt have to appear from hiding. They are coming into this more naturally.

Live Wire
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:42:16 PM
I think doing a few RPs like that for the sake of keeping things interesting would be cool. But to turn back the board clock so to speak isn't something I want to do.

I created my character with the idea that shes not someone who existed. Thats why I didn't create a screen name with Mara or Leia or a well known characters name. I dont want to play someone who has an established character in the movies or EU. Thats not fun to me and that puts more restrictions on my creativity then anything we're doing now.

I would participate in threads that have that story line but Im not scrapping my character to play in essence someone elses creation. I want the characters I play to be unique and different.

Not to mention a lot of us have put our hearts and souls into our characters and that would bascially say the past two years have been nothing. Im not willing to do that. Its not about history or rank its about what we've accomplished. My characters all have depth and I dont know about any one else but I am certainly not running out of things to do with them. Every RP I do adds another piece to a puzzle that in all reality may never be finished.

So I guess this long post boils down to a no. I dont think we should turn back the RP clock and scrap two years of hard work.

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:52:28 PM
I could go either way. :|

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:53:58 PM
Also(Putting here in case someone cuts in while editing), a better time to start IMO would be after Darksabre. After TTT, the Empire was divided by bickering and power hungry Moffs. After Daala killed them all, and then resigned, Peallon basically had the entire Imperial might under his reign. You also have a Jedi Academy, meaning that Every Jedi doesnt have to appear from hiding. They are coming into this more naturally.

The Jedi Accademy ties us to a lot of characters that KJA made. No. A lot of smugglers got real quiet after TTT, so you might not even need Karrde or Mara Jade.

Also, the NR outgunned the Imps by a decent margin at that point, at the end of TTT, it was much more even, if my damaged brain serves me.

This isn't something I've pulled out of the blue: I've meditated on it for about three months now, knowing full well many (probably everyone but me) people would say no because they are very attached to what they've done.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:58:33 PM
Oh, so a better timeline is stopped because it "ties in to KJA characters". So, it's all on your POV. In that case, the idea sucks.

the NR outgunned the Imps after TTT because they were so divided. Zsinj had destroyed a lot of the Empires ships but two years before TTT. Darksabre is eight years after. The bickering was forced to end.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:18:22 PM
I'm not going to waste my breath on you, Fett.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:21:14 PM
Why, because I have a valid point? As of TTT, to suddenly bring in lots of Jedi would be daft. As of that time, the most Luke is doing is looking for information on the Jedi. So there would basically be no training.

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:23:52 PM
I'm not sure I understand fully, so I'll chip in a question.

By doing all of this, our characters would loose all of their unique pasts and have new ones made around the actual real Star Wars books/films and tying in with this we'd sort of ... move back in time ?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:30:41 PM
Its a bit of an oversimplification, but in some ways, yes.

Why, because I have a valid point? As of TTT, to suddenly bring in lots of Jedi would be daft. As of that time, the most Luke is doing is looking for information on the Jedi. So there would basically be no training.

I don't really feel that your point is valid, but I know you well enough to realize that you'll argue it anyway.

Live Wire
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:35:34 PM
I can't believe Im going to say this....but...*takes a deep breath*

Fett has a point and I agree with him

*waits for hell to freeze over*

okay joking aside. he really does have a point there were no organized jedi at that time, the empire was fragmented and not cohesive at all. If you're looking for an even playing field TTT isnt it. Not to mention where does that leave the sith? Theres a lot of issues with pulling it off aside from my other problems with the whole idea.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:37:14 PM
Sure I will. At the end of TTT, we know of............two living force sensitives? (EDIT- Three, Corran, and the Dathomir witches). And then out of nowhere appear Jedi Masters, Knights and Apprentices? Because we start Right after TTT, they must all appear. By putting at Darksabre, it goes from 8 after ANH to 12 after ANH. So, there is a four year cushion. People can say they appeared soon after the "death" of Thrawn if they want, others can say they joined the Academy. It gives people more license to come up with a valid reason to appear.

Oh, and of the first 15 Jedi at the academy(Luke excluded), there is a Wolverton Jedi, a Veitch Jedi, a Stackpole Jedi, a Zahn Jedi, 1-2 Hambley Jedi, an unknown oigin Jedi(Where did Brakiss start from?) and Kyle Katarn. So around half arent his, and then a few of the originals are unknown even then

And then you have to work out how the DJs and Sith appear. Now granted, there are some around (High Inquisitor Something or other, for example). But they are few and far between. And then suddenly, there is an explosion of Dark Siders? And none revealed themselves while Thrawn was apparently on top?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:49:04 PM
Tally that up as known force sensitives Fett. The others were out there.

See, this leaves a really good opertunity to build you character and how you get to one side or the other.

TTT leaves a lot of this wide open, and we can build the instutions the way the collective roleplaying group wills it, and not by the whims of an author.

Morgan would be a slicer, Fett would be a bounty hunter. Everyone would make their way from somewhere, and it would really cool if we made the journey's interesting and belivable.

You could do some of the same with the end of DS, but it would be much harder to phase out the characters KJA came up with and use your own instead. Like I said, this isn't something out of the blue and I've given it a lot of thought.

In the end, this is probably a completely wasted effort. Oh well.

Khan Surak
Mar 6th, 2002, 03:53:19 PM
This idea is good; about having a new timeline. But, I would have to object to abandoning our characters like that. I would agree to a new forum for just that timeline,(which I think would be pretty neat :) ) but totally move our entire galaxy backwards in time, I can't concur with. :\

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:08:45 PM
I've done a lot of thread digging, and one of the results of being a new roleplay community, there really wasn't a "starting point."

What I'm trying to do is give a "starting point." The old old threads just sort of happened, and from a moderately logical standpoint, its beyond chaos in many ways.

The main problem I see with two timelines is, like anything else: intrest. But I know it would hold mine.

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:16:53 PM
I like the idea, but I don't like having to "start over". I have way too many characters I have worked on, and frankly they've become a part of me (or is that the other way around?)

I don't mind the idea of having another forum dedicated to this "new timeline".

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:16:58 PM
Fett would be a bounty hunter
I aint no Zekk wannabe :)

You could do some of the same with the end of DS, but it would be much harder to phase out the characters KJA came up with and use your own instead
Why would it? Most of the students didn't even have names. But for people wanting to try writing an EU character, there is someone for everyone.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:33:16 PM
Response to Fett: (skip if not interested)

I think part of my problem with seeing your viewpoint is partly with the horrid job he (KJA) did with the Dune universe. I don't think I can forgive him for that, making it that much harder to accept anything he lays down on paper anywhere else. A few of his ideas were good... but I feel that he sapped an awful lot of the proper mystery with the Force (much like Lucas did with those ****ing midichlorians. Keep those damn things away.)

General Reinforcement to my reasoning, as previously stated:

I'm admittedly very biased, but I do think that territory wise NR/Imps were much more even at the end of TTT. I still think theirs plenty or room for someone tactically brilliant to step up on the Imp side.

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:50:37 PM
Why are you even taking territory and galactic supremacy into this? No one pays any attention to the military in our current RP timeline. If you're going to put some effort into deciding on a new timeline, pick one that is good for personal RP's and character development, which would appear to be what the majority likes to get involved in.

Champion of the Force
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:03:10 PM
IMHO, if you want to put a starting date on the RPing here, just put in 50 years (or something ) after ROTJ.

Gives everyone a bit of breathing space and also grants everyone a bit of flexibility, since you can make up the more recent times which haven't been yet covered by the EU. :)

Only problem is that some characters (like Leia) might be a bit out of place.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:05:24 PM
And the fact that TIE Fighters and Y-Wings are outdated :)

Heck, I only just called an X-Wing an XJ3, and thats 20 years old :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:08:39 PM
Eh shutup. :p

But I think trying to fit the whole setup into the EU timeline somewhere is going cause problems since everyone has their own likes/dislikes on the EU and where everything fits together. :)

Alec Lafeyette
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:40:53 PM
It's a good idea, but from past experiances I just find it, I don't know, boring. I'm so used to all our made up technology and character pasts that to start roleplaying in a setting like that seems restricting. Just my opinion.

Gav Mortis
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:48:47 PM
I haven't read most of this thread really, as I wasn't interested in reading two people debating about something I have no knowledge on. So debating aside, I like the idea but have my concerns, first of all, if these means starting anew, a whole new timeline for SWFans, forget it. But if that is not the case and this is just to add some spice and variation to our roleplaying experience, then I'm all for it.

One question, do we have to have knowledge of The Thrawn Trilogy in order to adapt well to this roleplay(s)? Secondly, you mentioned roleplayers playing different characters, for example, Ogre playing Luke Skywalker, a concern I have is this: Would the course of this roleplay(s) be dictated by what happens in the trilogy, ie. would our roles in this trilogy be predetermined in anyway or would we in essence, re-write the trilogy, SWFans style? :)

(Thinks "SWFans style"....oh Lord what have I said!? :p)

Champion of the Force
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:49:40 PM
Ack - I missed this interesting post:

I would agree to a new forum for just that timeline
Now that might work. But it's going to need interest if it's going to get off the ground.

Maybe instead of attempting to alter the present setting it might pay to rustle up support for an alternative timeline in a new forum?

Ball is in your court posters. :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:51:45 PM
IMO, two timelines would be tedious and superfluous.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:54:07 PM
I always presume I am about 50 years into the future after ROTJ.

And definantly will NOT write up a different backstory, becuase I have spent a godawful amount of time building the storyarc of my character up and also where he is to go.

Now I dont understand something - is this proposal an alternative timeline, seperate to the mine one we have here? Or is it to replace it? If it is to replace..... I will oppose it with every means I have, I am 100% hostile to the idea of replacement or a timeline rollback. I do ignore anything in the EU that is rubbish already, so even if I am presuming 50 years + in the future, as far as I am concerned, NJO did not happen. Not that it matters what I think, I work isolated anyway.

If it is an alternative..... okay, I'm willing to listen, sounds like a resonable idea.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:06:20 PM
Marcus brings up another problem with it. Some(like me) may not like some parts of the EU, but will accept them to be used(Like me and TTT). Others though, refuse to either acknowledge them. How could you work it if this was to happen? Using our above poster as an example, I know he likes TTT, and I dont know aout the X-Wings or Courtship of Princess Leia, but I know he has issues with Truce at Bakura. However, the Ssi-ruuk are in the position to still strike realistically. Was someone to want to do this, would people ignore it? It could leave some feeling very left out.

Not that it overall matters what I think though. I doubt I would join in. I struggle enough as it is to post with my one character, and the only real character I'd care to write as of TTT is in Rogue Squadron, meaning I'm severely stunted for opportunities.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:09:27 PM
I’m for the idea of an alternate timeline, but a replacement to the current one, no. Too much time and effort by too many people to abandon what has been done and start fresh.

Thanks for the nod on playing Luke in the new timeline, not sure what I did to warrant that, but it is appreciated and I think it would be fun. :)

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:13:06 PM
I like this idea:

IMHO, if you want to put a starting date on the RPing here, just put in 50 years (or something ) after ROTJ.

I personally think we should not put a restriction on timelines. If such is the case, I won't roleplay that way. I consider all EU valid in my timeline, but that doesn't mean I have to use it. Like Marcus, I don't mention anything like the NJO in my roleplay posts (albeit for different reasons :p)

I think we should be able to roleplay how we want want. Or that would just defeat the purpose of roleplaying in the first place.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:13:11 PM
I think he just called you a whiney farmboy :)

Shawn
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:22:56 PM
I'd like to abandon the current timeline and start fresh. But I realize that everyone is far too attached to their current positions to ever do so.

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:34:16 PM
*Clutches her timeline protectively.*

Shawn
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:39:13 PM
What's the big deal about starting over? Losing all you've established? Why is that such a horrible thing? It's just a game, right?

I like the idea of starting fresh. I've stopped RPing as it is because I feel like there's nothing left to do. All those planets that everybody has, all those ranks they've obtained... it's nothing, really.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:42:32 PM
Because I've put effort into it. If I am going to have to sit here and watch when someone hits the reset button, why should I bother? Some people have a plan of RPs to do. I have a good 4 months ahead roughly schemed. Tondry and LD have had a long series of RPs together. And you want to cut these off midstream?

Shawn
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:46:54 PM
I'm sure they could finish up with them. Yes, you've put effort into it. But it's not like the old threads are just going to up and disappear - they're all right there for your peruse.

Obviously, I'm not saying you should sit idly by while anyone does anything. But it'd be awfully nice if you agreed to it. :p

IMHO, this place could use a good reset. It's become decadent.

Gav Mortis
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:47:27 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
What's the big deal about starting over? Losing all you've established? Why is that such a horrible thing? It's just a game, right?

I like the idea of starting fresh. I've stopped RPing as it is because I feel like there's nothing left to do. All those planets that everybody has, all those ranks they've obtained... it's nothing, really.

It's not about positions and ranks as far as it concerns myself, nor is it a matter of: "Well I've put all this effort into such-and-such and therefore don't want to lose the fruits of my labour."

I simply am happy with the way things are, I have three, soon-to-be four hopefully, varied characters, all involved in their own gradually developing intricate storylines from which I gain both satisfaction and enjoyment. So the basis of my arguement is simple: If it's not broke, why fix it?

Champion of the Force
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:48:10 PM
I've stopped RPing as it is because I feel like there's nothing left to do.
... which is probably the reason hitting the 'Reset' button doesn't bother you Shawn, whereas someone who still feels there's plenty of roleplaying left to do won't take too kindly to it. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:51:31 PM
Decedant? I presume that means something bad :)

But I disagree. I'm doing/planning more now than before. Others are similar. What does resetting achieve? That I follow where SOMEONE else wants me to start, negating everything I've ever done.

Now, you might not care about your characters, but I do.

Shawn
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:52:18 PM
Gav: Some would argue that there's plenty broke here. But I relent here... It's not like I actually expected anything to happen.

Gav Mortis
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:59:12 PM
Gav: Some would argue that there's plenty broke here. But I relent here... It's not like I actually expected anything to happen.

Precisely, it is a matter of opinion. But I believe the problem resides moreso with the individual, for a community of roleplayers simply cannot be asked to change in such a dramatic way as a percentage, large or small are not getting the most from their roleplaying experience.

I don't think changing the medium in which we roleplay our characters is the answer. I think it is changing the characters to make the most from the roleplaying medium and timeline. Timeline is nothing, rank and status are nothing, but characters are and I have developed a fond place in my heart for each of my characters. I think part of each roleplayer goes into their character, I'm sure you'd agree to that Shawn, you simply can't ask them to bring that to an end unless they want to.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:59:48 PM
And think this way. Were we to pick a time:

50 after ANH: No current tech exists. Everyone got more advanced. Basically, you could do what the bleep you wanted, and just say it's the next advancement. Or what, do all X-Wing pilots now fly the XJ57-X-Wings, supported by Star Destroyers MkXVI? :)

4,000 before ANH(Sith War): Polar opposite. NO current tech would exist yet.

Thrawn Trilogy: Why use this time if then a pile of Jedi, Sith and Dark Jedi appear from nowhere, and start training everybody?

And because some will always want to ignore the works of some writers, most times end up useless anyway.

Daegal Murdoch
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:02:31 PM
Quite simply, I for one am totally against it.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:18:39 PM
I'm not in favor of starting over either, ok I am actually adamantly opposed to it, lol, but I'm not sure you need to ditch the idea if it's something you really want to do. Couldn't it be a subforum and maybe have people who are interested sign up for new characters to play there or something? It might be worth thinking about doing that instead of just scrapping it.. just an idea.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:20:06 PM
rant

You got to be kidding if you think I would accept a timeline reset....

It's not about ranks, or planets or anything like that. It's simply to do with the fact I am working to a script, a plot and you saying throw that away and start again?!?!

Look, your missing the point. Roleplaying in the end is not about ranks, ships, planets - its about RELATIONSHIPS. It's about how you interact with other players, how you interact with your enviroment, how you interact with the ones you love and the ones you hate. It's about the feel of kicking your worst enemy in the groin - or when you touch the hand of the wife you thought was dead. it's about the way you feel when your sabre ignites, what feeling does it stir in your heart?

It's about looking over a cliff and seeing the town you need to go into spread out before you, its about the fear as a Star Destroyer bears down on your transporter...... or or looking into her eyes as your about to make love.

To say there is nothing left is rot. Your just not looking far enough or being inventive enough. Challenge yourself and find something different to do, cause if you asked me, I could come up with half a dozen concepts in a blink that would be new and engaging. I do as I do, cause that is what I want to do.

/rant

And right now, I for one am enjoying myself more than I have in a long time, because I am bringing to a close the first half of the Q'Dunn story. I love what I am doing and I'm not going to change it.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:41:34 PM
If it's an alternate/what could have been idea, it might work. But to strip someone of all their history and make them jumble together a new one obviously is not a very popular idea.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 7th, 2002, 12:38:10 AM
I'm in favor of a separate forum to reset everything as an alternate timeline, if there are enough people that want to do it. A fresh start would do alot of good for people but people have been RPing here for years. Kinda hard to just sploosh, down the toilet. There is a lot of history here.

Live Wire
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:44:47 AM
very well said DT!! Thats exactly how I feel. Its not about the rank its about what your character has become. Like with LW she has a back story that took two years to do shes got relationships with the people at TSO that also took two years to do.

Just cause a few people feel they've come as far as they can is no reason to reset the whole board. So make a new character...put your energies into that if your current characer isnt exciting enough. Thats why I play more then one, for a variety. I've been playing the same character for over two years and Im still finding new things to do with her. New relationships are always happening, theres always another piece to the puzzle that sometimes I dont even see coming.

If people here want another forum with a different set timeline I would participate as it sounds interesting but Im not going to scrap something that still holds my interest. Theres so much I still have to do with my characters and Im going to pursue that until theres nothing left....when that happens I'll make a new character.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:56:25 AM
Well, as usual, most of what I want to say has been said already.

It is hard to think about unplugging the computer and doing a core memory dump in the middle of the longest story I've ever written. Shawn, Davey had a good point, since you don't RP regularly, and aren't really interested in it in this time...well please don't presume to know what is right for the best of us.

I say these things with no malice, don't worry.

And...anyone ever thought about actually jumping in and writing an EU novel? I have. :) Thought about it, that is. :(

I could do it as an alternative thing, but to be honest, I am still having fun in my own little world. And also, to be honest, I dont' think I have time to do it on the side.

To rebuild a character like Sasseeri, to write all that has been written about her AGAIN...its redundant! And I'd have to do that with all of my characters if I wanted to use them again. Better to just copy and paste old RPs, changing some words to fit the new timeline/place....

I dont know..do you understand what I'm saying? :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:09:47 AM
Actually, come to think of it, LD's story actually was originally intended to occur right about....oh...8-10 years after ROTJ.

Most of my characters would make it through with little to no changes. Sasseeri would have risen to power after Xixor's death. But still..to lose all the RPs we've done....eek! Its hard, but I think I could do it. Some would still work, in the new story, like most of LD's RPs.. like the ones with Pierce.

ack! scary, but doable! eek!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:19:02 AM
It probably comes down to the fact that I simply don't respect a lot of the "history" here. Sayanjinns and all this other bizzare crap ran rampant the first 9 months or so.

This place just isn't "Star Wars" enough for me. It doesn't feel true to the proper line.

Thats about what I think its boiling down to for me. I want to RP star wars and I don't feel that this place really is anymore. Its something unique and special, I suppose, but I'm just not so happy with it.

So I posted with a "back to the begining" campaing, knowing full well that it wouldn't be popular by any strech of the imagination.

"Never give up on an idea simply because it is bad and doesn't work. Cling to it even when it is hopeless. Anyone can cut and run, but it takes a very special person to stay with something that is stupid and harmful." - George Carlin

Jeseth Cloak
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:20:48 AM
IMHO, this place could use a good reset. It's become decadent. I agree. I'm never around anymore because of just that reason. I'm sure some are glad to hear that, but personally am just tired of how things have developed here.

Rama
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:47:03 AM
I don't like it........

and that's all I have to say about that.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:48:53 AM
A) If you dont think the place is Star Warsey enough..... THEN WRITE SOMETHING! STAR WARS!!!! If you dont like what someone is doing, then take a leaf out of my book AND IGNORE THEM!!!

I think the Vampires have no place here, I have said that in the past. I tho respect that they are here. I will however just ignore their roleplays and go on with my own. Is that really too hard to do? I'm not doing anything that affects them and they are not doing anything that affects me...... so even if I disagree with their existance, in the end, it does not really concern me and nor does their presence bother me.

Other things I see as complete nonsense. I just simply avoid them as well. No sweat there.

B) If you dont like what your character has become and your bored with it and RP - whose fault is that? The boards? Why would it be, it's just a set of bytes on a hard hard dsomewhre, formless until data is entered into it.

So, who enters the data?

Well...... you do. So if you dont like what you see..... whose fault is it?

That's right... YOURS.

If you dont like what we have here, then the solution is not a reset. The solution is YOU think about what YOUR doing. Not the rest of us. YOU. You Shawn, think about what YOU can do to add interest. YOU Jeseth, you think about what you can do. Not us.

Cause right now, I for one am enjoying this place more than ever... because of what I am doing.

This place is just a set of bytes remember. Formed by the people here. Like you. So if YOU dont like it, what are YOU goign to change about what your doing here so that YOU get the most enjoyment?

I'm not here to entertain you. You entertain yourself. There is no need to follow along with anyone, or to even acknowledge what you dont like to the main. As I have said before, this place is a spear of the players imagination and if your not enjoying someone else imagination - then what are you going to do to add your own bit?

So dont be saying you want a reset cause your not having fun. Cause I sure as hell am in my own little workd and fantasy. If you want a reset, then it's high time you build your own fantasy and get lost in that, like I have in mine.

Bloody hell, I cant believe I am hearing this when the solution is so damn clear and simple....

Rama
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:51:59 AM
WORD YO!

Darth Lynch
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:58:30 AM
This place just isn't "Star Wars" enough for me. It doesn't feel true to the proper line.

Most fans can not even agree on a proper line or feel that Episode 1 isnt Star Wars enough. Some say the EU universe isnt Cannon or "Star Wars"

Rule one of all fanboy genres: Fans are fickle.

Try to settle on anything even here is or will be a chore although if can get it done do salute you on it. Not that think its a good idea just be amazed if this can work out.

I've often thought what if everything was restarted for the sake of eliminating some of the problems that do plague the boards so constantly however the same problems would often arise in due time. The idea of starting something new, be a group, board or idea is always exciting at first however that would wear out quickly enough after the inital stages. Its like going to a theme park, the true thrill is getting there.

That and you know choosing who gets to be what characters could be an issue. A very big issue at that. And depending on what you think "Star Wars" is how do you stop someone from doing something that doesnt agree with what one sees "Star Wars" is? Policing what and how some believe might not exactly be an solution.

The boards as they are now are hardly perfect, far from it but for bad or worse its what we got and we should work on fixing them. They need a lot of work. Obviously but overall starting up a new universe is more or less a cheap way to chuck out some baggage and get how some would like things to be done, seldom is it ever that easy.

Overall it looks like a cheap way for some to have things their way.

Oh and....I agree with DT.

So in other words DT I humbly bow before your intelligence in the matter.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:00:09 AM
If you dont like what you see..... whose fault is it?

That's right... YOURS.

I say this all the time yet no one ever agrees with me.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:00:16 AM
It would be nice to have everyone on the same page, so I didn't have to selectively ignore what someone did or didn't do.

I don't like ignoring stuff, but I pretty much have to do it. Its not a universe, its a bunch of little universes and you kind of flit from one to the other.

I just think its kind of, well, lame? You don't have accidental RP interaction, really. You did a long time ago, despite how god awful I think some of the RPing and stuff was. And that aspect, the spontinatey, was cool.

This place isn't cohesive, and it frustrates me on some levels.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:01:46 AM
Overall it looks like a cheap way for some to have things their way.

Of course I want things my way. Unsurprisingly, very few are like minded on this matter.

Rama
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:04:34 AM
Well your gonna have to deal with your frustrations, cause I don't think people are just gonna up and change everything cause it frustrates you.

I mean if it really bugs you that much there are lot of SW based RPs out there and Im sure one of those would better fit in with your vision of what this place should be, but don't expect everyone to change on your account cause that'll never happen.
If you don't wanna go else were, then you'll just have to deal with things they way they are.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:05:52 AM
This place isn't cohesive, and it frustrates me on some levels

That is a legitimate discussion point. It however can only be dealt with iwth communication between persons. Now that is a traditional SWFans problem and maybe one that should be dealt with.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:12:21 AM
If you don't wanna go else were, then you'll just have to deal with things they way they are.

hmmmmm... Thoughts tumble through my head....

Sith Ahnk
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:13:17 AM
And with private messaging, communications are more readily available and possible than ever before. :)

You make a lot of good points Morgan... but Turbogeek is making more. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:18:52 AM
Does this suggestion have to boil down to DT against Morgan? I think not. This isn't a prize fight people.

The thing I dislike about swfans is how easily people turn on each other, and the general attititude of ME FIRST. Try thinking from the other person's perspective first. And please, do we have to curse in our posts? I'm sure that is helpful to volatile situations. Not saying this one is volatile, but in past cases (and future cases) simply leaving out the second rate words can keep a situation from becoming a flaming incident.

Nu?

Sith Ahnk
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:29:12 AM
Does this suggestion have to boil down to DT against Morgan? I think not. This isn't a prize fight people.

Damn!
*stops taking bets*

In all seriousness, I was talking about their points of discussion. I'm not the biggest Darth Turbogeek fan in the universe... and I'm not saying I agree with him to try and kiss his heiney and smooth over tension. I agree with a lot of what he's saying... simply put, if you don't enjoy roleplaying, it's not the roleplaying... it's you. A lot of people do enjoy the roleplayig, and to trash it because of three "Boo's" would be incredibly premature.
I'm not arguing with your veiw of the problem, only your solution. A complete reset would ruin all my roleplays (all 3 of them ;)) and I'd have to start over again. I don't want that. I think perhaps you should take a walk and maybe decide it's time to put SWFans on the shelf and read Moby Dick. :)

And please, do we have to curse in our posts? I'm sure that is helpful to volatile situations.

I totally *@#%! agree. Lets cut that *@#%! out right now. :)

Seriously. It just make's people mad.

Nu?

Eh? :eek

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:32:42 AM
How about a little less taking of sides and more ideas for solutions and or compromises be put forth?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:36:05 AM
Amen to that!

And Ahnk? Its not my solution, think of me as Switzerland, mmkay?

*tiptoes off to bed finally*

Live Wire
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:37:58 AM
I thought the compromise suggestion was a seperate forum for those who might want to RP in that timeline. That seems reasonable if there are enough that wish to experiment with this idea.

Its obvious that some want it and some dont and that a lot are willing to give it a try if it doesnt mean resetting the entire RP universe.

So why not give it a trial run that way theres something for everyone. If it fails miserably we can say we tried but it didnt have enough support or whatever and if it succeeds then everyone wins.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:42:00 AM
Originally posted by Live Wire
I thought the compromise suggestion was a seperate forum for those who might want to RP in that timeline. That seems reasonable if there are enough that wish to experiment with this idea.

Its obvious that some want it and some dont and that a lot are willing to give it a try if it doesnt mean resetting the entire RP universe.

So why not give it a trial run that way theres something for everyone. If it fails miserably we can say we tried but it didnt have enough support or whatever and if it succeeds then everyone wins. Exactly! Many have apparently overlooked the idea of an alternate timeline and are only focusing on their despite of having to “Reset” their current timeline. Jumping up on soapboxes to preach against things so adamantly doesn’t really accomplish a great deal except to beat your point so far into the ground that others get overlooked.

Lets discuss options instead of focusing so much on how much one dislikes a particular idea over the course of several posts. A thought maybe?

Live Wire
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:44:36 AM
well I for one see nothing wrong with the whole "alternate timeline" its something that is intriguing...I dunno personally how involved I would be since rping an established character doesnt seem that interesting...but it would be a challenge.

So (not that it matters) I vote yes on having a new forum as a trial run.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:50:32 AM
I've already stated the alternative timeline, be it a forum or a series of threadsis an idea good for discussion earlier in this thread.

EDIT : I will also point out, that was one of the reasons the Storytelling forum was bought in.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:53:27 AM
Originally posted by Darth Turbogeek
I've already stated the alternative timeline, be it a forum or a series of threadsis an idea good for discussion earlier in this thread. And so did several others, but that topic seemed to have been derailed and lost in the shuffle of those against the "resetting" thing. I was just trying to get this going in a more positive direction again, which it has the potential to do IMO, as stated by quite a few early on in the discussion. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:56:27 AM
EDIT : I will also point out, that was one of the reasons the Storytelling forum was bought in. Agreed. And that brings up the question that this possible trial could be a subforum of said forum, so that it has its own little niche if it recieves enough support.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:05:22 AM
Exactly! Many have apparently overlooked the idea of an alternate timeline and are only focusing on their despite of having to “Reset” their current timeline
Most were okay with that, but the ones wanting the change continuedto basically complain about the rest of it.

Personally, I think the reason it doesn't feel like Star Wars is your fault, noone elses. Dont like it? Dont RP it. Write your own ideas instead.

And you dont feel it is very SWy, yet just because Morg dislikes KJA, the GFFA suddenly gets an influx of users suddenly, when the LFL used common sense logic to start it about 4 years after TTT. So they just "appear" en masse. Oh aye, great logic. And to be picky, you want to do that, you have to ban Sith. Else it is just the same universe, just with your idea of the perfect place to start bolted on.

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:34:37 AM
And that brings up the question that this possible trial could be a subforum of said forum, so that it has its own little niche if it recieves enough support.
Is it wise though to bury it under another forum (especially considering we don't have sub-forums listed on the main page anymore)? Storytelling receives barely half the traffic of the main RP forum. I think burying this new forum under it won't be of particular help in getting it started.

Why not have it displayed on the main page with it labelled accordingly to differentiate it from the other 2 RP forums? Sub-forums are really only of use when you wish to have forums but not necessarily need them viewed by the rest of the posting public (ala. Shipyards). Since many would probably want this new forum to be a viable alternative I think having it's own place on the main page wouldn't go astray.

More cents on the table. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:59:04 AM
I would say that if this goes ahead, it should share OOC. Dont cut it away completely.

Also though, one of the complaints is that this place isn't SWy enough. Well, having Sith appear after Thrawn dies is just as bad, IMO. The only way to be REALLY SWy is have most people non force sensitive. You couldnt say that(What, you need a year of RPing to play a Jedi say? How elitist is THAT?), or basically everyone starting from apprentice.

Oh, and to muster more support for setting it near Darksabre (;)), it would also cut out a lot of ideas that many dislike. For example, what if someone wanted to play the Clone Emperor? You can't really stop them, as DE is close in the timeline. But I know a lot of people would near-ignore this. So why not just set it so that it can't happen? At this stage, the Emperor is gone for good.

Same for other things. No Prototype Death Star(Logical!). No SUncrusher(Illogical, but nothings perfect, unless its name is Starfighters of Adumar!). No spirit of Sith Lord. Luke is single. Han and Leia's kids are old enough to actually do something instead of a constant uselessness(What can you do with three babies?).

In the same area, but this one will get me murdered by a certain Austrailian. Callista. Now, before you hurt me, think about it. Forceless, unless she is of the dark side. Now, considering this would start in the EU but become an AU(alternate universe), we could have someone RP her having fallen. Basically meaning, that there is a bad EU character that can be used for training DJs, y'see. Maybe she dies early on, who cares. My point is, that she could be a useful plot device for furthering the story of the DJs et al

Come on then DT, scream and shout :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:08:18 AM
I would say that if this goes ahead, it should share OOC. Dont cut it away completely.
Eh?

A sub-forum under OOC?

Sharing the same forum with OOC?

Something else entirely different that my incompetent mind can't fathom?

:huh

Yes, I got lost on that point. :)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:09:21 AM
Hmmm... I think the idea is very interesting but unconceivable in its current form. I do agree 50 years after ROTJ sounds like a reasonable amount of time for where we are now. However, to start all over moving into a Thrawn Trilogy setting represents a multitude of problems, allready pointed out by others:

* In general, the players dont want to start all over (the primary obstacle). I myself dont feel comfortable about starting from scratch again.
* Although TTT is a very popular part of the EU, this time period represents inconsistances with how characters and organisations are played out now
* Furthermore, a fixed setting is contradictory to the idea of free flowing roleplay. There are different opinions on what type of characters and settings are preferable. Some like NJO, some like Dark Saber, some like TTT etc.

So I would think it is safe to say, the posters are not going to reach a consensus on starting all over. Abandoning our current timeline is not likely to happen. There a lot of people content with how their characters are established now.

However, instead of abandoning current time line there might be some interest for an alternative timeline. An alternative timeline could be attractive to *some* players, perhaps encouraging new users to join or retired/semi active players to return, or giving established active players some refreshing opportunity to diversify their roleplay.

For example, there would be a possibility to create a separate forum (the "What if.." forum). The setting would not have to be based on TTT either, it could just as well start at the time of ANH, ESB or ROTJ. If that ever comes to reality, let me know if you need a candidate for playing Yoda.. ;)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:12:56 AM
Yes, I got lost on that point
Dont make an OOC forum just for this. Simple really :)

The setting would not have to be based on TTT either, it could just as well start at the time of ANH, ESB or ROTJ
A start a few months before ESB would be intresting, IMO

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:13:28 AM
Originally posted by Champion of the Force

Eh?

A sub-forum under OOC?

Sharing the same forum with OOC?

Something else entirely different that my incompetent mind can't fathom?

Yes, I got lost on that point. :) I think he just means that if the new idea for a new forum flies that the people in it share this OOC foum for OOC purposes, not getting one of their own.

EDIT: Beat to the punch. :p

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:15:28 AM
Come on then DT, scream and shout

Dont worry, I have. I'm quite sure you have already seen it tho

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:16:30 AM
Dont make an OOC forum just for this.

Who suggested that?

Storytelling doesn't have it's own OOC forum - it shares the same one with the main Roleplaying forum. Why would this new forum (if one were created) need an OOC of its own?

Or are you just shooting down ideas before they actually take to flight Reaper? :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:18:10 AM
Im shooting them down first :)

With a seperate RP, some places would make a seperate OOC. I think thats bad

Dont worry, I have. I'm quite sure you have already seen it tho
Didn't actually say if the idea was good or bad though :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:20:15 AM
One of the biggest issues I see evolving from such an idea as an alternate timeline is agreement on what the timeline will be. :x I know for a fact we have all gone a few rounds on timelines in the past.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:22:55 AM
What you could do, is putting the most popular suggestions for scenario in a vote, and decide throught a poll. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:23:45 AM
In the past? We're doing it now :)

But I thinka poll would be a bad idea. It's better to discuss it. Remember, this shapes the RP universe. To have one win because "The books were good" could screw it from the start

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:25:55 AM
So we should try to keep a list of the suggestions for now and see which of them garner the most support, so that we can have a poll if enough are interested?

We've only just begun Fett, only just begun. :p

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:26:21 AM
With a seperate RP, some places would make a seperate OOC. I think thats bad.
But we're not other places - we're SWFans (or SWForums if you prefer). :)

Let's all gather around the fire place and hold hands and sing shall we? :lol

One of the biggest issues I see evolving from such an idea as an alternate timeline is agreement on what the timeline will be.
Maybe Master Yoghurt's suggestion of a new forum taking on the role of a 'What If ...?' type setting may have merit. Though one could argue that the current RP scenario already is a 'what if' area for a certain point of view.

What you could do, is putting the most popular suggestions for scenario in a vote, and decide throught a poll.
But if you start getting more than 2 or 3 choices the vote could get split up too much and result in no clear winner for any proposal.

PS. Everyone check out DT's own thoughts on the issue at this thread:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12390

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:31:16 AM
Yeah, that's the other ting(I edited my last post abotu this btw:)). If the results were, say

ESB: 8
TTT: 12
Darksabre: 11
HOT: 5

Did TTT get enough? They only got 33%

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:34:58 AM
Perhaps we should make it compulsory preferential voting? :p

<smallfont>Oh dear, we've started the road to hell now.</smallfont>

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:36:59 AM
Personally, I think a pre Empire setting ala Shadows of the Empire is the more likely to win, because if there is any scenario people are familiar with, it is the movies.

How about we run a poll, and see what the results are before drawing conclusions on a hypotetical result we have not seen yet. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:39:18 AM
I demand more what ifs about what ifs! :p j/k

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:40:53 AM
How about we run a poll, and see what the results are before drawing conclusions on a hypotetical result we have not seen yet.
A poll about what? The idea was only suggested today and we've only scratched the surface as to whether there even should be a new forum or not, let alone what timeline it should take on.

One step at a time people. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:42:42 AM
Could I suggest something though? For how I would poll this:

Firstoff, we list in a poll EVERY possible timeline idea we can think of. From the Tales of the Jedi to NJO, every plausable place.

We give it, say, five days, and then look at the results. Every one that got 0 votes is eliminated.

We then look at how many survive. If five survived, then we go to the next stage. If there are more, then we repoll the existing ones, eliminating all but the top five.

Then, someone who likes each section explains WHY he feels their time is the best. This lets people who are unsure see the reasons.

We then repoll, winner being chosen.

Good? Bad? Dumb?

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:45:57 AM

A poll about what? The idea was only suggested today and we've only scratched the surface as to whether there even should be a new forum or not, let alone what timeline it should take on.

One step at a time people. :)

You are right. One step at a time. :)

:: tries to organise his feet ::

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:46:34 AM
I think there were only about 10 people out of a good 60 to 70 that visit these forums daily, that expressed any interest in an alternate timeline so far. I think we may need more suppport than that, or for someone to take the time and count how many supported the alternate timeline idea in this thread.

Is getting sleepy now :zzz

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:47:31 AM
Sounds like a plan, Fett

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:49:12 AM
Good? Bad? Dumb?
I would say unneccessary. :)

Simply because if you take the time to discuss it you'll be able to eliminate most (if not all) of those potential 'no votes' without having to hold a poll to find out what they are.

I can see where this is going - a debate on how we're going to poll suggestions on an idea that may not yet get off the ground if not enough people support if if most are happy with the way things are right now and thus don't see any reason for a change or alternative. Sounds great :p

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:52:34 AM
I would say unneccessary. :)I have to agree with that for right now. I just don't yet see enough support for it to start to decide exactly how we are going to decide. The idea of an alternate timeline needs probably somewhere in the vacinity of 25 or more people interested, IMO, to be able to take off and have a life of its own. As CotF said earlier, one step at a time. :p

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:53:38 AM
5000 pre ANH(Tales of the Jedi time. Jedi and Sith everywhere)
4000 pre ANH(Second sith war)
35 pre ANH(Phantom Menace)
25 pre ANH(Clone Wars)
20-10 pre ANH(Beginnings of the Empire)
ANH
3 post ANH(ESB)
4 post ANH(ROTJ)
6.5 post ANH(X-Wing, Coruscant just taken)
9 post ANH(TTT)
10 post ANH(Dark Empire)
11 post ANH(JAT, founding of Jedi Academy)
12-13 post ANH(Darksabre time, Empire reunited, Jedi appearing)
19 post ANH(After Hand of Thrawn)
25 post ANH(NJO)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:54:47 AM
I think what Fett is trying to say is, of course we should discuss it, but when/if it gets to the point there is sufficient request for such forum to be created, it should be possible to figure out a scenario people can accept. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:55:35 AM
Simply because if you take the time to discuss it you'll be able to eliminate most (if not all) of those potential 'no votes' without having to hold a poll to find out what they are.
By listing them, people see the choice. By just saying "Which do you like?", its the first in their head.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:56:09 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
5000 pre ANH(Tales of the Jedi time. Jedi and Sith everywhere)
4000 pre ANH(Second sith war)
35 pre ANH(Phantom Menace)
25 pre ANH(Clone Wars)
20-10 pre ANH(Beginnings of the Empire)
ANH
3 post ANH(ESB)
4 post ANH(ROTJ)
6.5 post ANH(X-Wing, Coruscant just taken)
9 post ANH(TTT)
10 post ANH(Dark Empire)
11 post ANH(JAT, founding of Jedi Academy)
12-13 post ANH(Darksabre time, Empire reunited, Jedi appearing)
19 post ANH(After Hand of Thrawn)
25 post ANH(NJO) @_@

Are those supposed to be available timelines?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:57:48 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I think what Fett is trying to say is, of course we should discuss it, but when/if it gets to the point there is sufficient request for such forum to be created, it should be possible to figure out a scenario people can accept. :) I just had to go and ask for more what ifs about what ifs didn't I? >_< :p

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:58:59 AM
I think what Fett is trying to say is, of course we should discuss it, but when/if it gets to the point there is sufficient request for such forum to be created, it should be possible to figure out a scenario people can accept.
Yes, but by then we probably won't need to go to the lengths he's suggested to figure out what people want. Hopefully half of it will have already been figured out via discussion which will enable us (if it ever reaches that point) to offer just a nice, short list of possible alternatives. :)

But anyway, one step at a time. We're up to Step 2 - lets' do it properly and discuss whether there even needs to be an alternative forum first before going onto a poll. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:59:29 AM
@_@

Are those supposed to be available timelines?
Just a few possibles off the top of my head. All have validity in some way, shape or form, yet flaws. For example, 5000 pre ANH would explain why there are so many Sith. But, no current tech, except Lightsabres.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:01:52 AM
With my previous post about getting a head count of those who support the alternate timeline idea in this thread, I became very confused seeing that post with no explanation of the numbers. I get it now. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:03:29 AM
What, you thought 5000 voted for something? Id suspect vote rigging :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:06:11 AM
Its time for me to sleep. I'm delusional now. :huh

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:06:44 AM

Yes, but by then we probably won't need to go to the lengths he's suggested to figure out what people want. Hopefully half of it will have already been figured out via discussion which will enable us (if it ever reaches that point) to offer just a nice, short list of possible alternatives. :)

But anyway, one step at a time. We're up to Step 2 - lets' do it properly and discuss whether there even needs to be an alternative forum first before going onto a poll. :)

You are of course right. Lets first establish the level of interest before deciding on a scenario. :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:10:05 AM
You are of course right.
I always am. Bow to my magnificence. :p

But yeah, back on track ...

Should we create a new forum for this alternative setting?

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:13:42 AM
Trial run. Give it a month. But there are other questions IMO, all of which affect wether we should do this:

Can anyone create an existing character?

Can anyone be Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith?

Can you be of any faction?

I've got Uni now, reply in a few hours :)

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:16:41 AM
Post 26,010 for this forum. :)

(Post 26,000 is somewhere up further :p)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:55:09 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Trial run. Give it a month.
I agree with Fett, one month trial would allow us to see if becomes a failure or success. But first, lets see if there is enough interest for it. The best indicator is if the idea gets a lot of positive response.

But there are other questions IMO, all of which affect wether we should do this:

Can anyone create an existing character?
Interesting question. Either way would work I guess. If it is desirable to shape the turn of events, people should be allowed to play major characters. Alternatively, where only non existant characters are played, the story might become more scripted. A third option would be letting sub characters having a greater influence on what is going to happen than what was assumed in the original source of the scenario.

Can anyone be Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith?
It would be a good idea allow creating any character you want, as long as the introduction of the character is roleplayed in a reasonable manner in the context of the scenario. I would think a setting is a starting point rather than a limitation.

Can you be of any faction?
I see no reason why not.

Anyway, I think I have said enough in this thread for a while. It would be nice to hear others opinions as well, so I will stop typing for a bit.. ;)

imported_Eve
Mar 7th, 2002, 08:48:06 AM
Yeah - not sure where you are. Stopped reading and have to go to work. Here are my two, or three cents:

Backtrack - Morg, love the idea. I have always said I'd RP again if it was starwars true. I'm excited. I'm glad someone isn't so wrapped up in their imaginary universe to do it. Star Wars - that's what we're here for, not vamps or pokemon. Halleluiah brother!

Are we voting on timeline yet? My vote goes for 25 post ANH (NJO). There is more room for freedom here. Not so much room to make up crap either. It's star wars or it isn't. Period.

And I know I'm getting ahead here, but - Since it's different forums, I would suggest having them be named after different universes. You roleplay in one or the other.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 10:16:37 AM
Star Wars - that's what we're here for, not vamps or pokemon
There are Vampires in SW :)

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:34:14 PM
WHEW...after a night of making love to my bottle of bourbon, and a day of crappy modem, I finally get to this thread :p

I've always played it out to be about the time of NJO anyways (since NJO is crap, and I ignore it, and we might as well fill it with something else entirely)

The trick is...time progression. Yes, I have been here for-e-ver, and yes, I have age-progressed some of my characters (aka Anbira mainly). So while I RP in the approximate time of NJO, time progressed would likely have entailed starting around the end of the Thrawn trilogy.

Another problem is that I am essentially EU-illiterate. I just don't have time for the books and the ones I've read aren't exactly inspiring me to read more. Maybe at some point...but its not something on my to do list. This presents a severe disadvantage to people like myself, and making RP accountable to what month Corran Horn crashed his speeder in a drunken haze or whatever...shouldn't happen IMO.

I'm not weaseling out of research. I do that...plenty of it. Thats fine and dandy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what this timeline would really change.

Think about it...how many characters really interacted with canon or EU characters? Not that many. I can think of a few, like Navaria/Dale, Drin Kizael, and the like. So what does it change? I mean, is all that you're looking for some kind of "nod" to the bigger EU picture? Like maybe Sanis is on Coruscant talking to Sasseeri and they bring up Xizor...just for the hell of bringing him up? Even if he's got no business being in the picture.

Its just not adding up in my head, and I can't find a way to make it.

(sigh)

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:25:12 PM
So, I'm trying to understand here:

We take one of our existing characters, and start over with them in the new universe? Kinda like a Star Trek-happenin thing where there's kinda an ulternate universe to what we've been doing?

I like the idea of a seperate forum for this. I'd rather not upset what we have already. But adding something new would be cool. I know I'd like to play the beginnings of how Azure Regalia came to be. She was an Imp experiment, and doing this new universe would allow me to explore that. Besides, I've always thought it'd be fun if she got either some tutoring or inspirations from Boba Fett. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:26:31 PM
after a night of making love to my bottle of bourbon
Oooooooooooooook :)

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:30:34 PM
:lol

Yeah, he wasn't making much sense last night, either. :rolleyes

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:52:38 PM
:( sorry

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:59:06 PM
Don't be sorry! It was cute! In a sort of weird FASCINATING way. :p :lol ;)

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:00:06 PM
Did I pass out talking to you? I woke up this morning to find that I slept on my phone.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:02:40 PM
Bed not comfy enough? :)

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:02:45 PM
:lol:lol:lol!!!!

OMG! Too funny!!! No, you were able to say goodnight before you hung up. You musta passed out right after, cause LW, LD and I were AIMing ya like there was no tomorrow. We were hoping the inscesant pinging would get your attention. But then we realized you were completely gone and we woudn't be hearing from ya.

Though talking about kinky candy with no responses was kinda fun. :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:05:23 PM
Sounds like I miss the fun convos :)

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:19:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that AIM window :lol

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:33:58 PM

This thread....Okay here is MY...oh I guess I'm on 6 cents now..

I am interested in playing a new character in an alternate universe.

There, that was it. And, I want to play Callista, you know, the gal who was stuck in that ol' ship?

;)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:36:48 PM
*POW*

I think that was DT spontaniously combusting :)

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:39:32 PM
Me too. I'll play Corran "Master of Force Everything and the Kitchen Sink" Horn

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:40:44 PM

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:44:08 PM
I'm sure you'd play Uberboy very well :)

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:58:02 PM
Ooo Oooo I can play Nichos Marr from that same book Callista was in :)

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:59:56 PM
AGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

CALLISTA

MUST

DIE!!!!!!!!!

---

Seriously for a sec, the new forum all sounds good and what, but I have to point out again what your suggesting is the exact same things the Storytelling forum was set up for in the first place. Pure Star Wars. So, if your all so dead keen on that, then why not USE Storytelling for it's original poipose?

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:05:18 PM
That sounds like a good resolution to me.

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:07:19 PM
Keep the thread on track people. :)

Another problem is that I am essentially EU-illiterate. I just don't have time for the books and the ones I've read aren't exactly inspiring me to read more.
I haven't read much EU either, but I have been able to keep up somewhat with what's going on via TFN's Book Review section. It's not perfect but at least gives you an idea of what each novel is about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what this timeline would really change.
I think for starters it would set boundaries on what you can and can't do. In other words you can't have people showing up claiming a new group out of nowhere that already owns half the galaxy already (an exaggeration I know - but you get the idea).

So if it was set, say around the end of the Thrawn Trilogy, you've got the Imperials in a mess, the New Republic attepting to rebuild itself, the Jedi barely started and Sith nowhere to be seen. Whilst obviously people would be permitted to have a bit of creative freedom in creating their characters and roleplaying them out, we wouldn't be seeing stuff like 'Imperials conquering galaxy' or 'Sith destroy Jedi Order'. There are set boundaries which people would have to respect, but hopefully it will ensure that everything within those boundaries can roleplay without out of the ordinary circumstances arising.

So if the current RP environment is free-form, this one would be more structured I think.

Did any of that make sense? :x

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:08:21 PM
Oh! I just realized... and since we're on the subject... I'd love to ply Mirax Terrek. her father is a smuggler of sorts that works closely with rogue Squadron and the New Republic. To play her would be fuuuuuuun. :D:rollin :crack

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:09:26 PM
Seriously for a sec, the new forum all sounds good and what, but I have to point out again what your suggesting is the exact same things the Storytelling forum was set up for in the first place. Pure Star Wars. So, if your all so dead keen on that, then why not USE Storytelling for it's original poipose? It may have been its original purpose, but it has taken a new direction and one which I think should probably remain as it is. It allows people to do private RPs in a setting where there is no need to have their first post include an OOC paragraph explaining it as such.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:09:33 PM
No. No no no no no no. You have completely missed the point DT. For the eight million time:

I don't think the universe if properly defined. Its a bunch of little universes.

I want one universe. Storytelling was to hold big RPs.

There hasn't every really been "pure Star Wars." We've never really said "this is the timeline we are RPing." I want to do that.

I think that concept scares some people. I know it seems to scare you.

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:11:21 PM
I have to point out again what your suggesting is the exact same things the Storytelling forum was set up for in the first place. Pure Star Wars. So, if your all so dead keen on that, then why not USE Storytelling for it's original purpose?
Because the Storytelling forum still takes into account the universe (or universes) that go on in the main Roleplaying forum. Some popel would like to start afresh with a setting based on what has already been established in Sw literature without having free for all scenarios of the current setting.

Of course, the Storytelling forum can easily be used for that as well - just label you RPs appropriately (eg. 'End of Thrawn trilogy') to define the setting so that people know what's going on and don't complain when you're playing out the NR owning Coruscant. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:12:20 PM
We've never really said "this is the timeline we are RPing." I want to do that
But by having a sudden influx of Force users on both sides straght after TTT negates this, surely?

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:16:32 PM
I want one universe.

But then why at a time when there is a decreased number of Imperials, no Sith, and barely any Jedi?

I don't know about you, but it was bad enough writing up histories for my characters the first time.

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:20:51 PM
But by having a sudden influx of Force users on both sides straght after TTT negates this, surely?
It doesn't have to be set directly after The Thrawn Trilogy. You're jumping ahead again Reaper. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:24:37 PM
Do I need to remind you Morgan, that two years ago I was behind a push to do exactly something like you stated?

Now correct me if I am wrong, but we have had timeline discussions before. We have had purety discussion before. We agreed on a 15 years + of ROTJ. We agreed that Storytelling was pure Star Wars. We agreed on lots of things and then everyone simply does their own thing anyway.

That's why I look on this discussion with a sense of deya vu, cause I know what will happen and what will change in the end.

Nothing.

Becuase people want to do things their own way and 18 months ago, I gave up trying. And now, frankly, I see their point now - and I dont believe it really addresses the issues that are underlying in here anyway.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:24:49 PM
No Im not. Im addressing his idea :)

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:26:01 PM
It doesn't have to be set directly after The Thrawn Trilogy. You're jumping ahead again Reaper.

Dark Empire series (1 year later)- 3-4 Jedi
Jedi Academy Trilogy (2 years later)- 12 Jedi

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:29:49 PM
Darksaber(3-4 years later)- a shedload more :)

And the JAT number is 16. Chilghal, Mara and Kyp werent in the 12, and then you add Luke

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:29:52 PM
We agreed on a 15 years + of ROTJ.
News to me, and I created the forum in the first place. :huh

But as I stated above, the Storytelling forum is more than capable of allowing all your set timelines to take place there. All it requires is a bit of thoughful labelling. It's just a question of whether or not you all want to share tha same forum with the more 'free form' stuff. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:39:54 PM
And if your talking timelines,.....50 years after ROTJ is enough scope for new Sith, Jedi, Imperials, whatever to arise.

COTF - yes we did discuss timelines. Twice. For the entire forum.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:47:50 PM
And enforcing it for the entire forum obviously isn't going to happen.

So its boiled down to a few different alternate solutions.

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:58:27 PM
My understanding of the ST forum was that it was for private/invite only RPs. *shrugs* No one said anything about "pure" SW at the time.

And I always try to write pure SW...even if I have to interact with sayajiins or whatever they were... So, as this really doesn't affect me one way or the other, I'll butt out and let you guys go at it. :mischief

:D *back to work...grumble*

Champion of the Force
Mar 7th, 2002, 07:19:34 PM
COTF - yes we did discuss timelines. Twice. For the entire forum.
I remember the discussion. I don't remember a final decision been made however since no one could agree.

But even if one was put in place, it doesn't look as though anyone is following it now. :)

My understanding of the ST forum was that it was for private/invite only RPs.
It's been that way ever since about a year or so ago when the forum almost died due to lack of posting. It was decided to have all closed RPs in ST, and all open RPs in RP.

Drin Kizael
Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:42:45 AM
I normally avoid the OOC forum, so I had no idea this thread was here. But when I told Morgan I had an idea for a separate setting with a "rebooted" universe, he pointed this out to me.

There ain't no way I can get through all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead tauntaun.

Making a new universe the standard for the -entire- board won't happen. It's been suggested and slapped down too many times. But I'm definitely one of those people who would like to RP in a more stable, recognizable setting.

Yes the Storytelling forum is there for that. And if I had more time to contribute (and those who I want to work with had more time as well), I'd definitely use it more.

But at the same time, I would like to participate in open, unscripted RPs that don't fit as much in the Story forum without having to consider some of the really f'd up things that have happened to this version of the Star Wars galaxy over 3 years.

Perhaps establishing a separate setting for -some- RPs is a good idea. Like on Storytelling, whenever you see "Dark Fury:"... you know pretty much what you'll be reading. It is it's own universe, and followers of that series won't confuse it with the settings of other stories in that forum. A prefix like that for an alternate setting would work just as well on the Roleplaying Forum.

The problem, though ... and this I admit is snobbish. The problem is that if it really is left truly -open- for anybody, there are still things that select other players would do to destroy the setting for me (and many like-minded players on the board).

The reason I am being such an elitist brat about it ... I'm sick of the power plays and politics between and within groups tainting everything I read or try to do. I hate that I have to make any attempt at major change be open and jump through hoops to have it be "official"... risking the possibility of some yutz ruining the flow of the RP and generally making it more trouble than it's worth.

And I'm physically drained from dealing with people and events on the board that get in the way of my character plans and motivations. What's just mind boggling is how this is not only tolerated on the boards, but protected by "rules" and encouraged. No to mention that any time people of like thinking support each other in this insanity, they get branded a clique.

Bah. Never mind.

Sl Enoth
Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:55:32 AM
Well, I myself am all for a seperate forum for those who want to RP with the set timeline and all, and I must say I'm rather glad that that's the direction this seems to be headed.

The thing I like about the universe we've got in the RP right now, is that to an extent, there's complete freedom in one's choice of character and everything. It allows for one's imagination to work how it would like to.

I myself only have 2 characters, MnT and Sl Enoth. Neither of them would ever be acceptable in any sort of pure Star Wars universe.

MnT's a half-Saiya-Jin honorable Sith, and Sl Enoth is a bio-mechanical creature from a different galaxy, and grows mostly by ingesting dna from creatures it eats, picking out strands that will make it stronger and evolving itself with them. Sl Enoth I could give up, cause it doesn't really have a history, or anything like that.

MnT though, I couldn't see having to dipose of. I've spent so much time thinking up and defining his personality and the likes, that, in all honesty, I see him as more of a person that I'm telling stories about, rather than a Character that I make up things for. Pure SW or not, I haven't personally heard many complaints about him, aside from the typical "not a true sith" stuff that he's always been faced with IC. Course, that isn't to say there Aren't people with problems with him, just I don't know about it.

That's why I say yay for the alternate forum for this. People who want to go and restrict their rping to either characters who already have a history and personality, or are resticted in what they can be and do, go for it. I just won't personally be in the number.

Besides, I've never read any of the non-movie SW novels (side from Shadows) So I'd be of no use in there Anyways >,<

Sl Enoth
Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:58:06 AM
Damn. I really need to work on my not-rambling-pointlessly skills. They don't seem to be working too well for me right now o_O

Champion of the Force
Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:22:53 PM
Well, I myself am all for a seperate forum for those who want to RP with the set timeline and all, and I must say I'm rather glad that that's the direction this seems to be headed.
Sorry Sl Enoth but the idea for a brand new forum has been officially abandoned (at least for now). If you want to try setting up an alternate timeline I believe the current proposal is to start a new thread in Storytelling that is labelled specifying it's an alternate timeline so people know.

Unless some people still want to push this new forum idea, but no one had responded to this thread for over 2 weeks until now.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:00:25 PM
Heh, thats because I'm still working on my map and outlines.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:07:28 PM
Like on Storytelling, whenever you see "Dark Fury:"... you know pretty much what you'll be reading. It is it's own universe, and followers of that series won't confuse it with the settings of other stories in that forum. A prefix like that for an alternate setting would work just as well on the Roleplaying Forum.

I have to admit, I never thought of Dark Fury as a Alternative universe. Now I think about it, I guess it could be seen that way. But the basic idea, of just labelling any RP in an alternate timeline or setup is a good one.

Champion of the Force
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:17:25 PM
Heh, thats because I'm still working on my map and outlines.
Oh, ok then. Carry on. :)