PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me out?

Gav Mortis
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:25:36 PM
I'm in a bit of a boggle about image icons and how they appear for jpegs, bitmaps, gifs, etc. Below is a link to an image of my desktop and how the respective image files appear, they look like word documents and I have no idea why this has happened.

http://www.andrew-milligan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/desktop.jpg

Does anyone have any idea how I can restore the original icon settings?

Thanks for your time.

Hart
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:38:51 PM
pick a program that you want the pics to show up in and in either it's "properties" or "options," simply fill in the whole for whether or not you want whatever sort of file to be associated with it. That should change the icons. Or you can simply go to "Options" in the My COmputer window and manually change the icon for each sort of file.

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:39:11 PM
First off, you're using Windows 98. Bad Gav!

:spank
:headbash
:thumbdown

I'll send you Win XP Pro. The problem has happened to me before. It's like a document that contains the data needed to tell each icon apart is corrupted, or something. Try going to classic windows rather than the new one, try resetting your active desktop. Mr. Forum should know; he's talked to Bill Gates in person :)

Hart
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:41:39 PM
Oh. Well that's probably it. Nevermind what I said.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:04:08 PM
This process may or may not work and will definatley require a reboot after completion if it does. This is how it is supposed to be done:

My Computer – View – Folder Options – File Types.

Find the Bitmap Image file type, click edit. There is a change icon button right at the top. You can then locate the exe file for MSPaint, mspaint.exe, which contains the original icon for that file type.

Repeat the process for jpg/jpeg, note there may be more than one jpeg file type in the list, you might need to change them both. Its default icon can be found in the iexplore.exe file. The icon location is the same for gif as for jpg, iexplore.exe.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:48:44 PM
Or you could always go into it's properties.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:51:34 PM
That only works on shortcut files in Win 98.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:53:19 PM
Yes, you're right. That it does.
Pardon me. I'm just plain old wrong again.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Mar 6th, 2002, 10:03:29 PM
IMHO, that background rocks.