PDA

View Full Version : Exactrly how far do we go before deciding something is 'inappropriate'?

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:17:35 PM
I ask after seeing sirdizzy's latest thread:

<a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12360>SmarterChild agreed to have sex with me</a>

Whilst the actually content itself isn't bad, following the little trouble we had earlier with reagrds to Shawn's thread over sheep and herpes I was wondering where we draw the line? Having a title stating things like 'sex ' etc may be construed as pushing the boundaries.

:huh

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:22:41 PM
I have no idea, and wonder if we really can enforce anything any more

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:59:20 PM
There's no point now, but if a similar thread was to arise I think a rename may be warranted. In sirdizzy's thread the 'sex' part was actually only a small part way down the bottom of his (incredibly long) post.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:07:33 PM
But if we then close a thread, couldnt then every person yell hypocracy and favouratism, being as nothing happened to the (admins) sheep sh**ing thread and the (elderly posters) sex thread.

Bit like all the Divx stuff. Few weeks back, I closed a thread of Vis', being as what he was talking about was illegal. Noone minded. Now, theres a thread where two admins have been saying where they got their copies of LOTR. So what now? I can hardly close a thread about illegal stuff, being as it was fine and dandy five minutes ago.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:18:00 PM
I agree that sirdizzy's thread title was a little out of line, but I wasn't sure what to do about it myself, especially with the contreversy I started a couple days ago with a mere FAQ reminder, I think the title is on the inappropriate side, but its already been allowed to go pretty far..:\

As for the illegality of DiVX, the exact same thing could be said for mp3s, yet there have been several discussions about them in the past. IMO, legality of such things comes into question when money is invloved. ie Paying for DiVX or mp3 files is true piracy, but that is just my opinion.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:21:07 PM
DLing a film still in Cinemas is illegal, no matter how it is worded

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:22:56 PM
Point me to the Internet statue for it.

I bet I can find several for mp3s.

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:25:46 PM
I have to back Reaper in regards to the DivX/mp3 type stuff. In the past I've shut down a number of threads dedicated to enquiring about illegal TPM copies and the like.

If 2 staff members (or anybody for that matter) were discussing such a topic I would probably ask them to take it up between themselves privately since such topics throw us a legal wormhole there. I think most will understand.

PS. I never said to shut down the thread, merely reword the title if a thread just like sirdizzy's arose again. The only real exception I had to it was the title, not the content.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:27:26 PM
Ad I didn't state that DiVX was infact legal, I just said that it is the same as mp3s.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:30:05 PM
A lot of my mp3s I own legally(Or at least someone in the house). On my 50 mp3 playlist I use, I would say at elast 25-30 are owned. The rest are one offs, where its £15 for one song. Were they on a decent compilation, Id buy in a heartbeat.

You cant possibly tell my your copy of LOTR is legal now, can you? :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:34:46 PM
Show me the law that says any of your mp3s are legal.

I have many DiVX files that I also own the DVDs to, does this make them legal by your reasoning?

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:36:23 PM
THOSE are, yes. Personal use.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:36:54 PM
As a note:

The DiVX copy of LoTR that I have is from a legal DVD copy that was distributed to certian individuals. It includes only one copyright statement that says it is illegal to purchase. It says nothing about downloading free of charge.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:38:11 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
THOSE are, yes. Personal use. Still haven't directed me to the law (other than your opinion) that says that is fact.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:41:02 PM
Ok, sorry for giving a **** about the place. You know, how moderaters are around to, well, MODERATE? Didnt know the idea was to just get a different title and a few more stars. Sorry for thinking we had to keep the place decent.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:43:08 PM
I wasn't saying in any way shape or form that it was not our duty to do so, but was merely arguing fact and opinion on this particular subject here in private.

If you notice, I already changed sirdizzy's thread title. I also locked and moved the discussion regarding the LoTR DiVX copy's obtainment.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 5th, 2002, 11:00:55 PM
For those that aren't puter savvy.... I for one would like a clarification on what is alright to post and not too.

and please.... let's do it calmly. I'll give ya treats :p

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 11:02:04 PM
I would say discussing DiVX and mp3s are okay as long as specifics as to how, where or when to acquire them is probably best left off the board.

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 11:25:38 PM
I for one would like a clarification on what is alright to post and not too.
It's sometimes hard to give a defined answer. For instance we have a 'No swearing' policy, yet posters like sirdizzy and ReturnOfTheCB regularly make one or 2 coarse comments in their posts. I tend to turn a blind eye unless it's used in excess.

Still though, a line must be drawn somewhere, however considering there are always those who think no moderation = good moderation it can be tricky to try and interjet since some will most likely complain (like Jonathan did when I moved a single thread of his - he claimed that one moving was 'gross overmoderation').

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:31:37 AM
For instance we have a 'No swearing' policy, yet posters like sirdizzy and ReturnOfTheCB regularly make one or 2 coarse comments in their posts
While DT has an average of about three swearwords per OOC post :)

imported_Eve
Mar 6th, 2002, 08:27:37 AM
Well with the incident last week - I don't think you can post about sheep sex and then correct someone's language. You have to be consistant, and in that issue, the staff here was not - if you ask me.

If certain language (mostly used as slang) is inappropriate, how is beastiality okay? I for one, get sick to my stomach when it comes to that topic, and I don't come to a star wars board to read that kind of stuff. Would you go to TFN and think it was casual to read such subject matter? I would think the board had gone to hell. Just an example. This may piss some of you off, but please argue to me how that was consistant.

As far as technobabble about computers - its fair subject matter, and its not anywhere near a category called obscene. I don't know if, as the staff of this board, I would go about flaunting that I have illegal use of certain things, but thats your choice (and you're not the only person here who does in it some way shape or form - everyone dls mp3s, dvds, cracks expensive programs, etc.).

I think it's easy to distinguish what is obscene, and what isn't, and what is swearing, and what isn't.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 08:40:06 AM
My reply was more directed towrds his inflamitory remark about an individual than towards his language.

imported_Eve
Mar 6th, 2002, 08:42:46 AM
Yeah, wel good call there.