PDA

View Full Version : Rantings

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:24:52 PM
I'm trying to make my cubicle and comp here at work a bit more livable. I've put up SW posters and figurines, so it's beginning (marginally) to look like the room at home where I keep the comp in.

Then for my comp, I was able to put up SW wallpapers, cursers, and icons just to liven up the fact I'm running Win NT.

But still... I swear!!! Win NT is like the BUTTHOLE of OS's!!! I can't get anything to run on this piece of crap! It only took me like an hour and three deletions and installations to get the SW Screen Entertainment to work, and even then it's acting kinda weird, randomly going off when it feels like it. And then I tried installing Yoda Stories, possibly the easiest program any comp could run (even Win 3.1 can run it for crying out loud). But, noooooo, Win NT is stupid because it doesn't support Yoda Stories, so I can't get the darn thing to run! :headache

*starts tearing hair out in frusteration* :headbash

I'm just trying to make life fun here! I mean, some idiot went and disabled all the games that come with Win NT on this machine! My gawd! What do they expect me to do all day? Work?! I need some breaks with fun mindless things involved! :shootin

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :verymad

*pant pant pant* :cry

Well, at least I have net access. But even then I have to be careful where I go, cause all the comps with net access in the company are monitored.

*sigh* :\

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:29:25 PM
What sort of evil company expects you to WORK for your pay???

j/k :)

Hey, you'll get used to it. You just have the rough ride first :)

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:32:07 PM
I suppose that's true. But I still think there's gotta be a patch or something out there that would make Yoda Stories compatible with Win NT. I mean, you'd think someone by now woulda done something about it... maybe... I hope... :|

And they wonder why they have disgruntled employees :x

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:32:28 PM
LOL At least you have a comp at work at all. All I had at work was the fries. I can't wait to get a job that doesn't involve fried foods. :rolleyes Dern being too young for the good jobs!

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:33:49 PM
Hey, could be worse. You could still have to be learning for the job with the office and all :)

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:34:30 PM
What can I say? I'm spoiled... and I want what I want, and I want it now. :lol At least I have goals... if you can call that goals. :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:37:03 PM
I dont have any goals but to survive :)

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:37:29 PM
LOL Would a mouse shaped like Darth Vader's helmet be on that wish list?

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:39:08 PM
Actually, that IS on my wish list. How'd ya guess? :lol

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:39:55 PM
;) Wild guess! Or maybe I'm psychic!

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:45:50 PM
Well, I just did a quick serach, and there is a working patch for NT to get Yoda Stroies to run. Came out in October 1998. Now to actually FIND the patch.

If anyone wants to help, I'm all for it. :) All I can hope for is that it's not a zipped file. They also disabled WinZip on this comp. :|

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:50:46 PM
THen Id unzip it :)

Im bored, Ill look :)

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:58:07 PM
Thanks Fett. :)

I found one patch, but it didn't say anything about making Yoda Stories compatible with NT. Maybe you'll have better luck than me searching.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:03:21 PM
There is a YS patch it appears

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:10:52 PM
A YS patch? :huh

And where would I find said YS patch?

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:21:21 PM
YODA STORIES. What you spoke of :)

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:24:24 PM
I have.......failed :(

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:31:26 PM
Whaddya mean you failed? You couldn't find anything?

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 06:02:48 PM
Yes :(

Live Wire
Mar 5th, 2002, 06:36:57 PM
NT - work computer

98 - gaming computer!

If you had to manage that network LV you'd be thanking god for NT cause managing a network full of 98 machines with stupid users who screw them up on a regular basis is soooooo not fun!

Though I can sympathize with ya it was like that when I worked you know where last winter. Thank god for that proxy account and msn messenger (aim and icq? ha too much to ask for) or I would have gone nuts.

Fortunately I found a nice job with plenty of free time, net access, aim, icq, windows 2000 and a t1 line. Working for your money is highly over rated. God I love the life of a troubleshooter!:D

Charley
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:16:54 PM
no, 98 is a Ctrl-Alt-Delete OS

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:29:18 PM
98 is an OS to FLUSH in an acid tank. I hate it more than words can describe. It is truly evil.

I also have a way with stupid users. It's called The Broom. Anyone does anything I consider dumb, The Broom comes out. I also have the BOFH's best friend, the Cattle Prod, a quick lime tank, a rigged keyboard, a electrified mouse, I have my own chapter in Evil Network Administration, the password list and God Mode access to the network.

Someone not long ago got me pissed off enough that I switched their laptop to a beaten up POS with Win95a. I have since invented all sorts of credible excuses to make sure they stayed with it. It is the only machine I have willingly built with anythign else other than NT/W2K/XP and I did it cause they continually were wanting a particulat machine I had reserved for someone else.

FYI, it was a P100 Toshiba, 10 inch screen. I'm evvvvvviiiiiiiillllllll.

And of curse, if that dont work, refer to the story of me going pshcyo against the OFB.

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:31:48 PM
..I like my ctrl/alt/delete...

Well, i don't paticularly enjoy having to use it ALL THE TIME.... grrr If anyone wants to give me a new computer, feel free to!

And I am at work on my lunch, trying to figure out what overpriced candy bar to buy, and what on earth Yoda Stories is... The horror, the horror! Thinking while at work!

We're not paid to think. Sometimes our work is just as pointless as digging holes and then filling them up again the next day. >_< Thankfully I don't work with dirt though.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 07:40:26 PM
Yoda Stories was one of the Desktop Adventures series. Good if you compare to games like Solitaire, bad otherwise :)

Lady Vader
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:47:39 PM
Yeah, but someone disabled solitaire... and minesweeper... and hearts... and pinball. :x

Oh well, guess this means I'll be playing games at Neopets. :lol

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:49:54 PM
Ohhh... I'm on my last break...counting down the minutes until we get to lock our doors. Retail isn't bad, but the irregular schedule >_< I'd love to have a 9-5 job. :) But I like my work, too, so its a dilemma. 'Sides, I *have* this job, and its a pretty good one.

And, I decided to have a 3 Musketeers bar, but after I ate it I was too full. Go figure.

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:14:01 AM
98=a NovX OS

XP is a gaming OS. 2K is more efficient, and thus a work OS. Hell, just the superfluous GUI in XP is taking up precious clock cycles...I feel it in the water.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:35:07 AM
I like Three Musketeers. Always make a point to buy one when I see them(Not sold over here, so I've had them from the Dominican Republic and Mexico :))

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:34:31 PM
|I

Ya know what's even more annoying? knowing everyone around you has Win 2000 Pro, and have access to their games and whatnots. I tell ya, the universe is against me.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:38:04 PM
access to your whatnots? In office hours? What does this company DO???

:)

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:42:38 PM
:lol Oh nothing much. Just build and ship various space stuffs and military stuffs. Mostly military stuffs me thinks.

Mu Satach
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:53:00 PM
hmmm...

:: goes into winnie the pooh mode ::

*think* *think* *think*

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 04:54:09 PM
Military eh? :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:05:04 PM
AHA! Say...you think you could manage to accidently ship me an 88mm Flak cannon, 3 .50 caliber machine guns, and 30 assault rifles? Maybe toss in 3 scopes to affix to the rifles? 15,000 rounds of ammunition should do.

As for their use...I have some grievances I need to file! :evil
I don't know what I'll end up doing with this arsenal, but it's safe to say that the Stars and Bars will be flying again on the South Carolina capitol building, I tell you what!

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:07:01 PM
If I ever go vigilante a la Boondock Saints, I know who to speak to :)

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:10:57 PM
Uh, Visc, I will respectfuly decline your request. Besides, they don't make such tiny things here. Think BIGGER. Say like, Tomohawks and AMRAAMs and stuff like that.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:12:38 PM
Hey, bigger is better :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:13:28 PM
Sounds a little like the company I used to work for. They made missiles as well as fighter jets, and even spacecraft.

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:16:40 PM
:lol Fett! Yoda might debate ya on that one.

Which company did ya work for, Mr. Board-Person-In-Charge-Of-Everything-Here?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:17:56 PM
Lockheed Martin.

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:22:21 PM
Ah, ok. I'm over at Raytheon.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:24:53 PM
Sounds like a gas :)

Lady Vader
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:29:28 PM
:lol It does kinda. Never thought of it before though.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:30:50 PM
Well, that's why I'm dangerous. Always thinking. Sadly, never about important stuff :)

Mu Satach
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:00:32 PM
I've gotten good toys from Raytheon

at Career Fairs... :D

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2002, 05:10:03 PM
:lol Mu! hat you make off with? A nice lil (yeah right) Tomohawk? ;) :lol

Mu Satach
Mar 8th, 2002, 04:48:21 PM
Now, now... need to protect my inside sources over there. ;)

Come to think of it... I nabbed some stuff from Lockheed Martin as well... :D :D :D

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 8th, 2002, 05:23:46 PM
My dad used to work for Lockheed Martin. :) Of course, he still can't talk about some of the things he worked on. I think when he retired they made him burn a lot of his files.

I think that he was actually in the CIA... ;)

Lady Vader
Mar 9th, 2002, 03:58:06 AM
:lol

The neat thing for me is that I work in the import department, so I get to see everything that comes in. Some pretty neat stuff.

But then on the other hand, sometimes they send reps to other states and countries for who knows what purpose. Hmmm... Maybe I can steal myself a trip, all expenses paid? Let's see... places we ship and receive shipments from: Texas, Alabama, lots of other places back east in the US, Canada, England, Germany, Australia. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Anyone up for a visit from me? :lol
(Assuming I can even get on one of those rep trips.)