PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on The Royal Tenenbaums?

JonathanLB
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:51:19 AM
I looked back 8 pages and couldn't find anything on the movie, but perhaps I missed something. If so, sorry...

I was just wondering who here saw the movie?

I saw it on Sunday night, just after Return to Neverland, which totally sucked. I said, "Return to Neverland? Return to sender!"

As for The Royal Tenenbaums, the film is not plot-driven, that's for sure, but the characters are all very unique and interesting, so it's entirely built around an excellent script and great characters, which is fine by me. I gave it 3.5 stars, I really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was one of the best films of the year (nor did the Academy), but I am glad it has received recognition both for the script and for the acting (Hackman specifically). How can a film be bad with so many great actors?! It's like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, hehe, so many great cameos, I love that film.

Anyway, other thoughts on the movie anyone? CMJ you must have seen it...

sirdizzy
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:21:08 AM
the movie had to be one of the most boring movies i have ever seen in my life

i was just praying for it to end so i could be put out of my misery

CMJ
Mar 5th, 2002, 10:17:57 AM
LOL...yeah Jon...how did you guess I saw it? ;) I LOVED "Tenenbaums"! It was one of the most quirky, funny films I've seen in a long time. It was most definitely in my top 10 films of 2001(by the way, still trying to see a few more films but my top 10 of 2001 thread is coming soon).

I saw it back around Christmas time when I was visiting my folks. Anyways, even though it got recognizd by other groups the Academy largely ignored "Tenenbaums"(one nom for it's screenplay) which is a damn shame.

JonathanLB
Mar 5th, 2002, 04:59:47 PM
Very quirkly, definitely weird, and I heard another friend of mine didn't like it much because of that, but I thought it was really enjoyable. I was just very impressed with the screenplay and the movie was actually pretty funny, but I don't think it was just about the comedy by any means. It was still hilarious in a few parts.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Sir Dizzy. I definitely didn't think it was boring. The characters were just too interesting for the film to be boring, IMO...

CMJ: I eagerly await your top 10 list :)

Tenenbaums would probably be close, maybe #18 or #19 or somewhere around there, but I suppose I give about 10 to 15 four star ratings per year, depending.

I want to publish a "real" book with all of my reviews of 2002 films, just for the fun of it. I'll use one of the print-on-demand publishers, so it won't be a "real" book in every sense, just in the sense it will be paper, hehe. I just want to do that for fun basically, it's like $100 and you get 15% of the money made from sales, but I'd just put a link up on my Website and buy about 50 copies myself for selling or whatever. *shrugs* just an idea. There will be a ton of 2002 movie reviews from me by the time it is done, haha.

CMJ
Mar 8th, 2002, 08:07:59 AM
Really Jonathan? I figured with our differing tastes you would HATE my list. Or maybe you're looking forward to trashing it. ;)