PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shyamalan's "SIGNS"

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:34:49 AM
I haven't been this utterly terrified of something fictional or real in several years.

Honestly :(

They say that everybody's entitled to at least one totally irrational fear. Mine would be aliens.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:58:29 AM
That terrible, huh? I might evade that book then. :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:18:21 AM
I know the first teaser trailers for the film looked rather interesting... and I enjoyed both 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable,' so I'm sure I'll see this one.

I'm not sure what my 'irrational fear' would be...

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:20:40 AM
I have an irrational fear of high school.

Hang on, that's not irrational at all

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:23:54 AM
I'm 100% serious. I have been TERRIFIED of aliens...particuarly alien abductions for over half my life.

If it happened to me once, I would go insane.

Twice, I swear I would kill myself. To be a serial abductee...hell, I'd welcome death!

Shawn
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:25:57 AM
I'd want to be some aliens pet. Just keep those probes away from me and we'll get along juuuuuuust fine. :)

Live Wire
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:33:30 AM
my irrational fear is that theres an alternate universe that mirrors star wars and I'll be sucked into it through some wierd time space distortion where I find out Im the long lost daughter of some evil overlord and I have to train to develop latent force ability.

No......wait a minute!

Thats not my irrational fear thats my irrational dream! :D

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:34:51 AM
Was serious...

:(

...but walks away nevertheless.

Live Wire
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:37:11 AM
awww I know you're serious! Im not mocking you! Honest!!

*HUGS*

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2002, 04:10:33 AM
VaderLoungie: what do you know about extraterrestrials
SmarterChild: Encyclopedia entry for extraterrestrial life provided by Brittanica.com

any form of life that may exist or may have existed in the universe outside of Earth. For years scientists have speculated about the possibility of extraterrestrial life and have even searched for its existence, yet no such life has been detected.

>>> To read more about extraterrestrial life, please click here
VaderLoungie: Do you believe in aliens?
SmarterChild: In aliens? I'm not sure I believe in aliens.
VaderLoungie: I do
SmarterChild: What?
VaderLoungie: I believe in aliens
SmarterChild: Seriously? That's fascinating.
VaderLoungie: I am scared
SmarterChild: Yeah?
VaderLoungie: I am terrified
SmarterChild: Are you?
VaderLoungie: all the time
SmarterChild: All the time?
VaderLoungie: I think aliens have come here
SmarterChild: What?
VaderLoungie: I think aliens abduct people
SmarterChild: You think aliens abduct people, you say. And so?
VaderLoungie: I'm afraid they're coming to get me
SmarterChild: No kidding?
VaderLoungie: Yes
SmarterChild: Yes?
VaderLoungie: YES!
SmarterChild: You're not kidding then, huh?
VaderLoungie: no I'm not kidding
SmarterChild: OK.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 4th, 2002, 04:31:53 AM
Some food for thought :)

VaderLoungie: http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12359
Master Yoghurt: That terrible, huh? I might evade that book then. :-)
VaderLoungie: I am MORTIFIED
Master Yoghurt: So was the writing bad, or was it the story itself. Perhaps both. :-)
VaderLoungie: I don't know if its a book...but the preview was SCARY
Master Yoghurt: I think I am going to take a look at the trailer now..
VaderLoungie: its mortifying
VaderLoungie: be forewarned
VaderLoungie: although I doubt you're as alien-phobic as I am
Master Yoghurt: lol
VaderLoungie: I've been mortally afraid of aliens for 10 years or more
Master Yoghurt: Ah, really? I have quite an interest in the subject. I have stopped worrying about it though.
VaderLoungie: I have an interest, but its not healthy
VaderLoungie: I am terrified of them utterly
Master Yoghurt: You know what I think. Any civilication so technological advance they can travel across the stars, would have the means to do whatever they want. And hey, I am still alive, so they cant be that bad. :-)
VaderLoungie: eh...I will always be fearful
Master Yoghurt: I think any visited civilisation would have progressed so far on a philospical level, they would find it unethical to harm the human species. They might want to visit to study us, but that is probably all.
VaderLoungie: I'd love to think that
VaderLoungie: but then we spawned nazis in the 20th century
VaderLoungie: so that logic flies out the window to me
Master Yoghurt: Well, I would think Nazism could be considered a stone age stadium on a time span concluding in interstellar travel. Or more like dinosaur level.
VaderLoungie: well...we HAVE been to the moon
VaderLoungie: think...interstellar travel is likely a mathematical equation away from us
Master Yoghurt: Yes, the moon is one thing. But the amount of energy to travel to another star is like the entire planets electricity output for many years. Then there is the problem with how long time it takes. You would probably have to put the crew in some hibernation. And that is to the closest star. To travel efficiently between star systems, you would need new technology bending the rules formulated by Einstein. A hole through space and time, and if that sort of technology ever comes to realisation, it would probably take mankind thousands of years to reach that stage.
VaderLoungie: but we don't really know
VaderLoungie: if there's some mathematical theorem that simplifies those equations, then maybe it'll be 10 years...not 1000
Master Yoghurt: What we are talking about, is not merily one mathematic equation, but an unforseeable series of technological hurdles you would need to overcome and such a resource draining effort, it is hard to imagine. You might want to check out Michio Kaku's homepage. He is one of the most optimistic physisists around, and he will tell you ten years is impossible. :-) http://www.mkaku.org/index.htm
VaderLoungie: well, I'm a mathematical dunce, so I will steer clear of it
Master Yoghurt: The articles are interesting and pedagogic in nature, so they are a good read anyway. :-)
VaderLoungie: cool
Master Yoghurt: Anyway, I saw the trailer. The crop circles failed to scare me. Crop circles are hoax material. Mostly kids having fun startling the local press with a string and a pair of planks stuck on their legs.
VaderLoungie: most are hoaxes
VaderLoungie: although I've yet to see somebody be able to magnetize wheat kernels
Master Yoghurt: Hmm.. that sounds weird
VaderLoungie: yet I saw somebody pull a stalk of wheat from one of these, hold out a magnet, and watch it LEAP to the magnet
VaderLoungie: if you can hoax that, congratulations
Master Yoghurt: Fascinating. Perhaps the wheat stalks had a high iron content. :-P
VaderLoungie: when I saw that...I freaked out
VaderLoungie: theres also a close encounter of the 2nd kind in texas
VaderLoungie: a UFO overflew a car with 3 women in it
VaderLoungie: within a month, all 3 contracted the EXACT SAME kind of rare cancer
Master Yoghurt: Now, that is eerie
VaderLoungie: yeah!
VaderLoungie: or what about somebody having a sliver of IRIDIUM in his shoulder
VaderLoungie: not only that, but a piece that was intricately detailed
VaderLoungie: do you know where iridium is commonly found?
Master Yoghurt: On the moon?
VaderLoungie: sure as hell not on earth
VaderLoungie: almost all samples on earth come from meteorites
Master Yoghurt: So they did a spectral analysis of the piece?
VaderLoungie: in fact, geologists have found a strata layer of iridium coinciding with 65 million years ago
VaderLoungie: the same time they say a huge metor wiped out the dinosaurs
VaderLoungie: I don't like to sound like a *****, but all this SCARES me
Master Yoghurt: Yes, it is weird. Although, usually, when you start investigating the story on a lot of these cases, there is some sort of plausible explaination of the less sensational nature.
VaderLoungie: yeah
VaderLoungie: well when somebody explains how wheat becomes magnetic, I'll feel better
Master Yoghurt: Hmmm.. I dont think it is that impossible actually. Even the human body is magnetic to some degree. If you have seen those pics where they levitate a frog or an apple in a magnetic field you would know what I talk about. If the soil the wheat grew on was extremely rich on iron, it might become subject to magnetism. Just a random thought. :-)
VaderLoungie: possibly
VaderLoungie: but its just one drop in a bucket of strange things
VaderLoungie: I can't discount it all
VaderLoungie: there are something like 700 UFO sightings that no critic can prove to be hoaxes
Master Yoghurt: True. However, the fact that they cant be proven to be hoaxes, does not necessarily say there is no rational explainaton of a terrestrial nature. The only way to be sure was if you experienced a close encounter yourself, or if a irrefutable evidence comes to public knowledge not hindered or covered by administration authority. Like a sample of advanced technology or biological tissue which can be determined by the global community to be of extraterrestial origin.
VaderLoungie: do you think any political body would ever let something like that see the light of day?
Master Yoghurt: Not sure. Might depend on the circumstances. If the political body has alterior motives, like exploiting the technology, they might want to keep it hidden. Then there are other problems, an announcement like that would cause chaos. But eventually, it would reach a stage where they could not keep it hidden anymore.
VaderLoungie: I'm afraid of the coverup, but I'm also afraid of it being out in the open. Its just general fear I guess

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2002, 12:42:06 PM
Dont think I have a irrational fear yet. I know Aliens are there, so dont fear them, as the scariest part is always the unknown :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:10:22 PM
Michio Kaku is awesome... his book "Hyperspace" is a great read for anyone interested in the future of man's understanding of the universe and the search for a unified field theory. It's written for everyone, not just theoretical physicists, so it's pretty easy to grasp all the concepts. Everything from harnessing fusion power to defining 10 dimensional hyperspace to understanding wormholes and folding of subspace... pretty cool stuff.

The problem is, according to Kaku, we (humans) are still about 50-100 years away from being a Type 1 civilization (currently we are a Type 0 civilization). We simply don't yet have the technology to harness the kind of power necessary to solve our impending energy problems, much less control space-time (and become a Type 3 civilization).

One wonders, when humanity final does become capable of interstellar travel, if we will then become the "UFO's" and "close encounters" of some other distant planets...

Darth Viscera
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:09:49 PM
Why worry about such things that are completely and utterly beyond our realm of control by mere definition? If an extraterrestial civilization decided that we were simply too great a risk to be allowed to continue our existence, we would soon be extinct, and could likely do nothing about it. The amount of time it would take for an emerging Type-2 civilization to annhialate us would be negligable, much less a full-fledged Type-3 civilization with the capability to manipulate the energy from a multitude of star systems.

Bottom line: You'd be in oblivion (or heaven, take your pick) before you even know what hit you. Not only would resistance be futile, it's futile to even allow such thoughts to affect you on such a level.

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:14:40 PM
Irrational fears? Mine would be the most irrational of all. Zombies.

Shawn
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:21:23 PM
I could take an easy potshot at you, but in the interest of being "a nice guy", I won't. ;)

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:30:42 PM
O_o Eh?! *pokes* Now you got me thinking too much!

Seth Darkserpent
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:43:37 PM
I saw that trailer about a month back at the theatres. It had the right music, the right mood and the right scenes to make it look chilling enough. I can't wait to see it.

Oh and for the record, my irrational fear is poltergeists. I'm serious.

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:48:55 PM
I'm serious about being afraid of zombies. Even though they couldn't possibly exist(unless they do make some odd real life T Virus), it scares me to death! The thought of walking corpses just gives me chills! I have nightmares everytime I think about it. *shudders*

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:58:36 PM
There have been reports of Zombies. It all depends on your definition of a Zombie.

Darth Viscera
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:59:30 PM
My irrational fear is waking up in the middle of the night and the devil is standing at the foot of my bed, and proceeds to slice off my arms and/or legs. Or you could substitue the devil for a ghost, zombie, or anything else seriously scary.

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 4th, 2002, 09:15:00 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
There have been reports of Zombies. It all depends on your definition of a Zombie.

*blinks, wide eyed* If you're talking the walking dead, I'll smack you for making my nightmares worse!!

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 4th, 2002, 10:06:06 PM
*hugs for LL*

Irrational fears? I don't think I have any. I have some RATIONAL fears (which some might find irrational). Ever seen the movie Bless The Child? That has some of my fears in it.

And yet, :) I am blessed because I have nothing to fear. :D

HaeLari - sometimes I feel like a zombie in the morning, does that count?

Jared Mriad
Mar 4th, 2002, 10:07:35 PM
Irrational fear: Machines taking over, Watch the Movie Virus. I am now scared, :(

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 4th, 2002, 10:38:37 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
HaeLari - sometimes I feel like a zombie in the morning, does that count?

lol Not unless you really are a walking corpse. Fresh out from six feet under... Or fresh out of the morgue freezer.

Khan Surak
Mar 4th, 2002, 11:01:58 PM
About that alien thing..

Imagine what small animals feel when they see us poking them and putting tags on them? That's how I percieve that aliens, if they do exist the way Sanis fears, would be studying us. As creatures of this planet that are being documented and studied.

Strider
Mar 5th, 2002, 02:00:02 AM
You had to talk about The Sixth Sense...That move threw me for a loop!

So, post a link for us to find this scary movie!

Sith Ahnk
Mar 5th, 2002, 02:34:46 AM
About Zombies... they are real, there have been reports of them, just like Aliens and people who voted for the green party

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 02:51:33 AM
Sixth Sense wasn't that great.:\

Admiral Lebron
Mar 5th, 2002, 06:48:01 AM
The my buddy doll is my irrational fear. I had one when I was a kid, then as a young kid saw Childs Play. I was to scared to get rid of the doll so I just screamed at it. One time I swore it was moving towards a baseball bat. So I gave it to my neighbor. If I see them though, I scream sorta.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:51:50 AM
*blinks, wide eyed* If you're talking the walking dead, I'll smack you for making my nightmares worse!!
Zombies don't have to be corpses

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 02:59:01 PM
I'm talking about the corpse kind! :p

I don't care about the ones that haven't had their coffee, because they're fun to poke at.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2002, 03:16:55 PM
No, I mean people who are being controlled, as puppets if you like. That is still a Zombie. Haiti has had sightings of the dead alive as well, like when a woman saw her husband who died a few weeks before walking round. Haiti has a Voodoo culture, and things like that are in it. Believe it all you want

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 03:35:02 PM
O_o Ack. I think that counts on my fear of zombies.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Mar 5th, 2002, 03:37:40 PM
meh, can't let fear run your life......personally I fear pretty much nothing but then again, working with horses teaches one to mask fear anyway since horses love to mess with people they sense fear in.......

Sith Ahnk
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:05:00 PM
I have several phobias... common ones mind you.
I'm not afraid of aliens. I'm a scientist.

HaeLari Draevyn
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:06:27 PM
I'm afraid of chemicals too. It scares the hell out of me to put gas into the car.