PDA

View Full Version : Producer's Guild Awards...

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 12:47:25 AM
This is a "fairly" accurate indicator of Best Picture. In the 11 previous years they have tapped the Best Pic in the Academy 8 times. So this was a shocker tonight....

Best Picture: MOULIN ROUGE

I now think the race is a strong 3 way battle..I would not be shocked if MR pulled off the upset.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 12:57:23 AM
I really don't think it will win, since the director didn't get nominated I think very few films (if any) have ever won when the director wasn't even nominated. It is still a shock though I wonder why unless the producer guild love musicals or something. I don't I hope they stay dead, I have never liked musicals.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:01:58 AM
There have been a few films to win Best Picture with the director not nominated..not many..but a few(the last..."Driving Miss Daisy").

Nonetheless...MR has done VERY well in the Guild awards. It won an award with the make-up guild...art directors...costumes...now producers. I think it has more support than previously thought...MUCH more.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:09:35 AM
I think it will win a few, art direction probably, best original screenplay for sure, but I don't see it winning best picture, still it looks like ABM is falling because of the Nash scandal and the Crowe's arrogance, I thought that would help FOTR win it, but if MR wins than it is Annie Hall all over again.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:14:19 AM
It'd be very hard for MD to win Best Original Screenplay..seeing as it's not even nominated. :)

The deal is ALOT of women loved MR...if most of them put their voting block behind MR and ABM and FOTR fight it out...I think MR walks away the winner. I've actually had a sneaking suspicion the last few days MR would pull the upset with all it's success at the Guild's. Now I'm REALLY thinking it might win!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:18:54 AM
I thought sure it was, is it nominated for best adapted screenplay then? I hope you are wrong, or I will be very sick after they say it. I am sorry if anybody out there liked it but the movie just doesn't appeal to me it looks too artys and as I said I despise musicals the only musicals I ever liked were The sound of Music and Yankee Doodle Dandy and they were fine because the actors only sang when it was appropriate, I don't care when the actors start singing for no apparent reason it defies logic.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:21:11 AM
No screenplay nomination either.... MR would be an odd winner..with neither it's Director or screenwriter nominated. I'm just getting a sinking feeling about this... Nonethless..I LOVE a real race where no one knows WHAT will win... This is exciting to me. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:26:18 AM
Has any film ever one without either a screenplay or director nomination? Just curious there, I was actually thinking that MR would hurt ABM the most because the tradional voters would lean towards them but that is Just my opinion.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:29:41 AM
MOULIN ROUGE traditional?? Hardly... It's a musical true...but more MTV than sound of music. I think it's very UNTRADITIONAL...in every sense of the word.

As for a film winning without a director or screenplay nomination. If I remember right "Grand Hotel" won Best Pic..with NO OTHER nominations..like in the 40's. How wierd is THAT. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:37:15 AM
I guess if you put it that way :), still Musicals are not something new and I don't think MR appealed to young people, everybody I know under 25 wouldn't watch it if you paid them so that is why I was thinking it would appeal more to the baby boomer population. As I begin to think about it the tradionalists could end up siding with FOTR if they pull away from ABM because of all the controversy.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:39:04 AM
Man...how wierd..just about everyone my age who saw MR loved it..and I'm 23. So I think it really polarized audiences..but the ppl that loved it...REALLY loved it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:44:55 AM
That is weird, I wonder which age group liked it the most or if even affected one age group it could been one of those movies that was hit and miss accross the board.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:47:53 AM
Yeah..no clue. I thought it was okay...but not great..not even good. I do give it credit for trying(it certainly did try).

Hey did you see my edit about Best Picture winners without a director or writer nominated?

Shawn
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:55:50 AM
I'm so torn about Moulin Rouge. I definitely think it had excellent direction. And the movie single-handedly convinced me that Nicole Kidman is a great actress. But, for some reason, the movie didn't really draw me in. :huh

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:56:53 AM
Kidman IS a great actress..but I'e thought so sine "To Die For". She was AMAZING in that.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2002, 01:59:11 AM
If MR wins, I swear I will beat up the Acadamy.

I saw what I could stomach on DVD.

Absolute

Utter

Crap.

I will not recind those words either. I cant describe my horror this is labelled an Aussie movie. Put me one in the firmly in the "HATES IT" box. This is a more appaling movie than American Beauty for me.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:07:43 AM
I just saw your edit and I have heard about Grand Hotel I have never heard anything good about it and it seems to be forgotten now. And I agree with you Marcus we can both go storming the academy if MR wins then:D

Shawn
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:21:06 AM
American Beauty was another of those "I can't make up my mind as to whether I like it or not" movies. I liked everything that didn't have to do with Pedophilia in the movie. I like how it ended, as well. But the father's infatuation with the girl really kind of bothered me.

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2002, 03:05:39 AM
American Beauty was a really good film, IMO. The pedophila aspect is what drives most people away from it. Very understandable... it's an extremely difficult subject to think about and/or discuss. I guess, from my POV, the father's infatuation with his daughter's friend wasn't because he was really a pedophile... it was part of his desire to recapture the only part of his life that he really enjoyed... his teenage youth. He wanted so badly to make his life fresh and interesting again. It wasn't until the end of the film, after his 'almost' sexual encounter with the girl, that he realized what he really wanted in his life...

Of course, he never got the chance to act on that epiphany...

I understand why some people have a problem with the film... I guess it's just a matter of seeing it from a slightly different perspective.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 10:24:34 AM
"American Beauty" was absolutely wonderful. :)

I think Figrin summed up the film very well. Plus..even though the lusting after a young girl thing bothered some people..if you really think men don't do that you're insane. Most don't admit it..or act on it(thank God)..but they do "dream" just the same.

Shawn
Mar 4th, 2002, 05:54:14 PM
Well, yeah. I understand that completely. And I'm normally not one to let something like that bother me. I mean, after watching the first season of "Queer as Folk", I think I'm about as blasé as they come. What I really liked about the film was the boy who had a crush on the guy's daughter (I don't remember any of their names!). The whole watching-the-plastic-bag-in-the-wind thing was really cool.