PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:24:11 PM
I figured I go ahead and start this and start the discussion since all the tournments begin this week. I looks to be a wild tourney, there is no dominate team, when you think Duke is the best they get beat by Virginia, when you think Maryland is, they get beat, and the same with Kansas, none of those teams are what I call dominant and guarentees, then there are the upstarts, Alabama, Marquette, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh and Oregon all have amazing season and should be top seeds (I mean 1-4) Alabama is a 1 IMO and Marquette and Cinci should be 2, Oregon is a 3 and Pittsburgh might be a 3 if it can win the Big East Tourney. Then you have a lot of good teams below that from Notre Dame, Arizona, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Georgia all are good and could even make it to the Final Four it looks pretty wacky at the moment.
I am also going to use this thread to keep track of the teams in so far we got one Florida Atlantic I think I will post that team again later with the Conf, if anybody else wants to do it thats cool, I just figure it will be fun to keep track. Also anybody interested in doing some bracket wager we could do one of those bets like the one Yog did not sure if we should do Dicaperio or not may have to think of somebody else or we might blind some people:x Just let me know if anybody else is interested I would like 2 or 3 beside myself at least if we do it, but if there is more cool, not sure how we could choose the picks have to think of an easy way to do, if we get enough interest I will have to come up with something, if anybody has any suggestions let me know.

Figrin D'an
Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:52:24 AM
I usually fill out a bracket for at least one tournament pool, so I guess I'm game. Not sure what the prize/punishment should be though. Have to figure that out later.

This really will be one of the more wide-open tourament fields in the past few years. We could possibly see a Final Four rematch between Maryland and Duke... I would not be surprised if both of them made it again. One also has to wonder if Kansas will be able to put their recent tournament troubles behind them... in the '90s, everytime they were a #1 seed, they lost in either the second round or the Sweet 16. I think this years Kansas team might be better than those other teams, but it's still something that has to be lingering in the minds of those players (and Roy Williams for that matter). There will be a lot of pressure on this group to exorcise some of the programs past demons, so to speak...

Duke, Maryland and Kansas will be #1 seeds... the fourth one though is a toss-up. If Cincinnati wins out (including the C-USA tournament), I think they'll get the other #1 seed. If not, it will be Alabama... provided they do well in the SEC tournament. After those two, it falls to Oklahoma.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:04:06 AM
Prize is a good question, need to come up with something there, I already know the prize for the lowest score we could do what happed to Yog make them change their avatar for a week or something, not sure about the winner have to think would rather not do money because don't want to seem like we are doing gambling on the board, maybe somebody else come up with something creative. I am hoping more want to do, I know Jedieb is always up for these kind of wagers not sure if he has the time now or not, not sure who else on this board is into college Basketball, I thought there were a couple of more, I guess I will have to wait and see
Also one more thing here are the three teams that made it into the tourney today

Florida Atlantic - Atlantic Sun
Big South- Winthrop
Ohio Valley- Murray State

Also there is always some cinderella that pops every I have a feeling it will be Pepperdine, if they can make the tournament, they have a great team and probably will be a 6 seed and could be a team that could knock off one of the heavy weights and make it to the sweet 16, of course there could be others as wide open as it is.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:23:37 PM
Ok I see Figrin is the only with any courage so far, isn't there one more person interested in doing it I would still like to see more but we could do it with three if we had too so if there is anybody interested please respond, its not like you aren't going to lose any money or anything major.

BUFFJEDI
Mar 4th, 2002, 12:38:27 PM
No Tar Heels =No tournament for Buff :(

But look out for the glass slippered Nc state.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 12:44:40 PM
I'll pst thoughts once the brackets come out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 02:33:22 PM
Would you though be willing to make some predictions for fun as part of a little bet? I think people are either afraid of doing it or there is enough interest in the tourney, yet? Maybe interst will get bigger this weekend.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 05:32:38 PM
Oh..I'll make predictions. I just want to see how the brackets line out..and see who might be upset early, thats all.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:13:13 PM
OK cool at least we will have to have three people making predictions, I am sure there will be more I think people don't get exicited until the weekend when the brackets come out.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 08:23:23 PM
How could you NOT be excited?? College basketball is my absolute favorite team sport. March Madness is the best time of year...but I love the whole season too.

I LOVE college basketball!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 08:35:52 PM
Oh I love it too, I think the NCAA tournment is the most exciting sporting event (I like the Super Bowl a little more but that is just one game and its a different thing) especially the early rounds when you watch to see what little team will shock the world. This year it is even more crazy because its so open, it looks to me very much like about 5 years ago when Arizona won it all, there was no real dominate team and in fact Kansas was the team everybody picked by Zona beat them in the Sweet 16. I think a lower seeded team (4-6) has a chance this year, not sure who yet have to wait and see the Brackets. One team I like who isn't getting much press is UConn, they have won like 22 games or so and are the second best team in the Big East but they are playing great ball right now so who knows. I am also interested in some of the surprise teams (Oklahomha, Alabama, Marquette, Pittsburgh, and Oregon) three of those teams have won their conferences out right and OU and Marquette are both having great years but how will they do in the tourney is my question? Some of them don't have much history in the tourney at all, Alabama is not done well in the past and this is Pittsburgh and Oregon's best seasons ever, Marquette has won a national title before but that was under Al Maguire back in the 70's not sure about Oklahomha but I think they have been competive in the past. Speaking of Oregon I am surprised Jon hasn't come in yet (or maybe he is afraid that if he talks to much they will lose :P) Seriously Oregon is got a good team but as I said before it will depend heavily on the bracket and from there I can figure out where some of these teams will go.

CMJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 08:44:18 PM
The little school that will shock everybody if they're given a favorable draw...is Western Kentucky. They play serious ball(beat Kentucky erly this year for example)...and their center Marcus may be the best in the college ranks today. I could see them easily making the sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2002, 11:25:25 PM
I think they upset up somebody one year right or at least came close? I admit they are one of the better smaller schools. Pepperdien comes to mind too, I know Gonzaga gets all the hype, and it is well deserved because they have gotten very far in the last several tournaments (as far as the Elite 8 last year) but Pepperdien is good too and probably won't get ranked high (7-9 I'm guessing). I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the Sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

BUFFJEDI
Mar 5th, 2002, 12:17:31 AM
Guy's it's not the same with out North Carolina in it. There is no excitement in it (for me :( ) I'llstill watch and hope the top seeds get picked off one by one.The Ncaa is FAR better than the super bowl But........

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2002, 01:08:37 AM
Well I don't have a team really, I generally root for the Big East schools (mostly UConn, Providence and Notre Dame) I think UConn has a chance to surprise people. Thinking of a great game Pepperdine and Gonzaga are playing one right now it is 45-44 Pepperdine at half time, I really think they are both in right now, though people are saying Pepperdine is on the bubble, if they win they are in I guess for sure.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2002, 12:48:59 PM
Ok five more teams made the cut yesterday and here are all the teams (I am including record mostly because it is interesting to see it for the lesser known teams)

Atlantic Sun-Florida Atlantic (19-11)
Big South-Winthrop (19-11)
Ohio Valley-Murray State (19-12)
Southern-Davidson (21-9)
Colonial- North Carolina at Wilmington (22-9)
MAAC-Siena (16-18)
MVC-Creighton (22-8)
West Coast-Gonzaga (29-3)

Three more teams will make it today, four though if Princeton beats Penn (otherwise the Ivy will have a playoff, the Ivy is the last Conference that doesn't have a tournment though I bet they will have one next season) I was actually rooting for Pepperdine last night over Gonzaga I was hoping they would end all that talk that they are on the bubble. I think they are in though, it would be travesty if they didn't get in and some crummy team like Minnesota or Boston College (who has been up and down all season) get in instead. Pepperdine is the second best team in the West Coast and Gonzaga is ranked in the top 10, it would be nuts not to put them in as well considering the season Gonzaga has had.

Hart
Mar 5th, 2002, 05:08:05 PM
I have a feeling Princeton is gonna rip the draw apart if they win today. :) GO TIGERS!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:55:45 PM
Well only three teams got in, Penn forced a three game playoff and the Ivy will be decided Saturday Night but here are the rest of the teams

Southern-Davidson (21-9)
MAAC-Siena (16-18)
MVC-Creighton (22-8)
Horizon-Illinois-Chicago (20-13)
Sun Belt-Western Kentucky (28-3)
MCCC-Valpariso (25-7)

The Big East Tournament starts today, I think one game is already finished and a second is underway, the rest of the major ones start tomorrow.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:37:47 PM
Southern-Davidson (21-9)
MAAC-Siena (16-18)
MVC-Creighton (22-8)
MCCC-Valpariso (25-7)
Northeast-Central Connecticut (27-4)

The second round of the Big East Tourney is going on today, it looks like Syracuse won't make it to the NCAA's though, Villanova beat them yesterday and they have lost 4 straight (they were once 16-2 but have fallen apart since) Boston College have slim chances they got killed by Pittsburgh today, and it also looks like Pitno's Louisville Team has been eliminated with Marquette beating them handledly in the Second Half. I think this helps the smaller schools Souther Illinois, Pepperdine, Kent State (if they don't win the MACC), and maybe some mid schools like Wyoming, and Tulsa and Hawaii (only one of them can win there tournament) man its going to be nuts the next three days as we see which teams make that treck towards the dance.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2002, 02:47:45 PM
Southern-Davidson (21-9)
MAAC-Siena (16-18)
MVC-Creighton (22-8)
MCCC-Valpariso (25-7)

The second round of the Big East Tourney is going on today, it looks like Syracuse won't make it to the NCAA's though, Villanova beat them yesterday and they have lost 4 straight (they were once 16-2 but have fallen apart since) Boston College have slim chances they got killed by Pittsburgh today, and it also looks like Pitno's Louisville Team has been eliminated with Marquette beating them handledly in the Second Half. I think this helps the smaller schools Souther Illinois, Pepperdine, Kent State (if they don't win the MACC), and maybe some mid schools like Wyoming, and Tulsa and Hawaii (only one of them can win there tournament) man its going to be nuts the next three days as we see which teams make that treck towards the dance.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2002, 07:06:14 AM
Yeah I am really excited about Oregon this year, I tried to watch the games I could. I think I only saw three games, but I always checked each day they played a game, hit reload on my ESPN site, hehe, and then read the reports at the end of the games.

How about that 16-0 home record? NOBODY can win in Eugene, football or basketball, haha. It's so hard to play there.

I really, really like the Ducks this year, what a fun team to watch! They have a lot of talent and this is one of the best teams they have ever had, and this coming in a year where they had their best football team ever. I think the U of O sports program is very clearly one the best in the nation this year. Of course, no other school has a basketball team as good as the Ducks and a football team as good as the Ducks, so this year, they are kings, or Ducks...! :)

I hope they can make it far and do well, that would just be great to see. I watched that Oregon-USC game that was in Oregon I think, not the latest one down in Southern Cal, and then I watched another one with my dad earlier, hmm, I forget what that was. I still remember reading at the start of the season about a few of our impressive wins and we got no respect at all for that, until finally we started beating a few more teams and pretty soon the "6th team in the conference in pre-season polls" became the best team in the conference -- easily.

Oregon is like 7-1 versus top 25 teams or something, quite impressive.

And nobody here can say that the PAC-10 is an easy conference in basketball. If you think it is in football, uhh, you need to get a clue, but if you think so in basketball, you just are a dumb@$$ in general.

We have so many teams that are ranked or were ranked during the season, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, and U of O, these are all very tough teams.

The rest of the supposedly great teams have not been tested like the Ducks have, although I really like Duke and I think they're still a great team. Nevertheless, they wouldn't beat the Ducks in Eugene. Not a single team in the nation could do that this year. No way, no how, that's Ducks turf and they defend it violently, lol. It's great to see :) Too bad the tourney games cannot just be played there eh? ;)

Figrin D'an
Mar 8th, 2002, 01:28:35 PM
I don't think anyone would argue with you about the depth in the Pac-10 this year. Oregon, Arizona, USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal are all tournament bound. Oregon is definately a solid #3 seed, although they could get a #2 seed depending upon what happens in the other conference tournaments. The thing that impresses me the most about the Ducks is their overall speed. They move the ball up and down the court faster than any other team I have watched this year, and they have several guys that can just outrun other teams on fast breaks.

That fourth #1 seed is still up for grabs... either Cincinnati, Alabama or Oklahoma should get it. If the Bearcats win the C-USA tournament, I think they get the spot, although if Oklahoma can get to the Big 12 tournament title game and beat Kansas, which no Big 12 team has manage to do thus far, they have a really strong case as well.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2002, 02:47:28 PM
Alabama could get if they win the SEC tourney too, its really up for grabs like you say, I guess Pittsburg has a very slim chance if they win the Big East, but I think they will get a #2 (if they win the Big East) which they deserve. Its going to be a great weekend thats all I can say.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2002, 12:49:45 AM
Man there were a lot of Upsets today, especially in the SEC, first Florida goes down to Miss St., then Geogria to LSU and finally Kentucky to South Carolina, it Alabama can't beat the team that are left I be surprised. Other Upsets Texas Tech creamed Oklahomha State, Iowa beat Wisconsin, NC State beat Virgina, probably keeping them out of the tourney, and then Oregon loses to USC. Now for tomorrow several conferences championships are on tap, here are some of the
Conference USA which is 1 vs 2 Cincinatti vs Marquette, should be a great game either team could win
A-10 Richmond vs Xavier This should be interesting Richmond tends to play better this time of the year and are used to getting into the dance through the Conf. tournament from their Colonial Days, I think Richmond will knock them off keeping a bubble team probably BC out of the tournment.
Big East Pittsburgh vs UConn. I have to say UConn will win, they look like they can make run this year they are young and have a lot of talent and they are team I would not want to play in the NCAA
PC-10 USC vs Arizona/California
The later game is still on going Arizona is leading by 8 at halftime they should win that game and I think they would beat USC if they met they are a team similar to UConn young and very talented and very dangerous.
Also one more team joined the field Holy Cross from the Patriot League I will update the rest tomorrow night when more teams get in.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:35:29 AM
Well there were some exciting games on today especially the Big East Final where UConn and Pitt went into Double OT. Also after seeing that game I think UConn might surprise some people maybe even get to the Final Four who knows. Arizona also played well in the Pac 10 tourney. 12 teams made it today here is everybody that is in as of midnight.

Southern-Davidson (21-9)
MAAC-Siena (16-18)
MVC-Creighton (22-8)
Mid Cont-Valpariso (25-7)
Patriot-Holy Cross (19-14)
American East-Boston University (22-9)
Conference USA- Cincinatti (30-3)
Southland-Mcwese St. (21-8)
Big Sky-Montana (20-9)
SWAC-Alcorn State (20-9)
MEAC- Hampton (26-6)
Atlantic 10-Xavier (25-5)
Pac-10-Arizona (22-9)
MAC-Kent State (27-5)
IVY-Penn (25-6)
Big East Connecticut (24-6)
WAC-Hawaii (27-5)
MWC-San Diego State (21-11)

Well just five more bids to go and then we will find out about whose bubbles will burst at 7 (I think Virginia is out and it looks bad for Charlotte and Minnesota) Also we have one more #1, Alabama can clinch it, if they win the SEC tomorrow I think, still if Oklahamha does the unthinkable and beat Kansas then they have a shot too, should be a wild day tomorrow.

CMJ
Mar 10th, 2002, 12:59:38 AM
There were some terrific games today... The Big East Final...wow! The Iowa miracle...the NC State upset... March Madness is so awesome. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:04:12 AM
And to think the best is yet to come, the first weekend of games is always the most exciting, IMO.

CMJ
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:12:29 AM
I'd have to agree. The first and second rounds are usually the most fun..since their are usually some big shockers. Of course the whole tourney is great(especially if a school I like advances far)...love the Final Four. That Saturday is college Basketball's best day. :)

Ahhh gotta love it. On a side note..my alma mater the University of North Texas is on the bubble for the WOMEN's tourney..Gawd it would be cool if we made it. Our RPI is 37...so we have an outside shot. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2002, 07:30:58 PM
Ok the bids went out today and here is the list of the teams in
http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/0310/1348839.html
I will sit down tonight and write about each matchup but for now you will have to go to that link. My early thoughts, Oklahoma got the shaft, they beat Kansas and I think that should have earned them a #1 seed but instead it goes to an overrated Cincinatti who will not survive long in the West IMO. Next is Gonzaga why did they only get a 6???? They should have been a 4 at least maybe a 3 but a 6 what is wrong with these people, Gonzaga is an amazing team and I think this wrong doing by the Selection committee will motivate them to get to the final four (they are my dark horse and I think they have a great chance to win it all) More later but right now I like Duke (yuck), Illinois, will explain that one later, UConn, and Gonzaga to get there. I might change my mind later when I break down the field more.

Figrin D'an
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:08:59 PM
I need to look over the bracket in detail for a while... I'll post my picks in the next couple days....

I generally agree with Carr's comments about the bracket and some of the seedings, although Gonzaga's #6 seed didn't surprise me... it's not right, but I wasn't surprised by it.

I would also add that Butler and Bowling Green should have gotten in over Boston College and Charlotte.... but, that's my opinion...

Will post more later...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 01:32:40 AM
Ok here are the matchups
The South Region
1 Duke
16 Winthrop

8 Notre Dame
9 Charlotte

4 Indiana
12 Utah

5 USC
13 UNC-Willmington

6 California
11 Penn

3 Pittsburgh
14 Central Conn.

7 Oklahoma State
10 Kent State

2 Alabama
15 Florida Atlantic

West Region
1 Cincinatti
16 Boston University

8 UCLA
9 Ole Miss

4 Miami
12 Missouri

5 Ohio State
13 Davidson

6 Gonzaga
11 Wyoming

3 Arizona
14 UC Santa Barbara

7 Xavier
10 Hawaii

2 Oklahoma
15 Illinois- Chicago

East Region
1 Maryland
16 Siena vs Alcorn State (Tuesday Play in Game)

8 Wisconsin
9 St. John's

5 Marquette
12 Tulsa

4 Kentucky
13 Valparaiso

6 Texas Tech
11 So. Illinois

3 Georgia
14 Murray State

7 NC State
10 Michigan State

2 Connecticut
15 Hampton

Midwest Region

1 Kansas
16 Holy Cross

8 Stanford
9 Western Kentucky

5 Florida
12 Creighton

4 Illinois
13 San Diego State

6 Texas
11 Boston College

3 Mississippi St.
14 McNeese State

7 Wake Forest
10 Pepperdine

2 Oregon
15 Montana

More later

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:54:54 PM
So is anybody interested now in picking the NCAA tournament? We have until wed (I am not going to count the Tuesday play in game) to pick, we either can just do it simple and pick each round games as they go or pick the whole tournment either way is fine with me the only probably with the latter is putting the brackets on here, if sombebody knows of an easy way to do it let me know. Well at least have three people to do at least pick the games as Figrin and CMJ are willing to do with me, as far as the winner and loser, I am not sure there is much we can do it, if anybody has any ideas that let me know.

Charley
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:59:02 PM
I will post my bracket ASAP

2 words...ROLL TIDE :D

But honestly, I think its Kansas' year for the big show.

CMJ
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:12:26 PM
I'll pick the 1st round games later today(or tommorrow). I'm not gonna pick the whole tourney in case there are some BIG upsets which could throw my whole bracket off. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:22:17 PM
LOL, chicken:p It actually might be easier to pick it round by round because it will be difficult for me at least to get the whole bracket in here, unless I could do it in a spread sheet but I am not sure if I want to devote the time to do it, if everybody else wants to do it that way than that cool with me.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:54:17 PM
One way we could post the brackets is for all of us to sign up on ESPN and create a group maybe called SWforums.net or something like that and each of us could regesiter and we could find out who won that way, if everybody wants to do that way tell me then I will set it up and I will post a link to where you will have to regester. Ok I went ahead and created a group SWforums.net and made it private so only us on this board could join
here is the link for the site
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/frontpage

Just click create/join group and search for SWforums.net and the password is JangoFett. Anbody can join, you don't even have to know that much about college basketball and heck if you win or our Group wins I think we win things not sure what. So come everybody what are you waiting for join up I think it would be loads of fun
:rollin

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:06:06 PM
Doesn't look like I have got any results yet:\ But there is still time , you have until Thursday 9:25am PST to submit your pics. Come on everybody as I said there really is no skill, you just pick the teams you think will advance each round and its fun, if you lose so what but if you win you are king of the board for the day or maybe even could win 10,000 dolllars (not my money by the way :p ) I have already set up the group and everything just go the link I posted above search for SWforums.net and type password Jangofett and your in.

Figrin D'an
Mar 12th, 2002, 12:43:59 AM
I willing to do the ESPN thing... I haven't entered their Tournament Challenge the past few years, but I'm familiar with it (of course, two of the years that I didn't enter the Challenge were the back-to-back years that I won tournament pools at work and at school... :rolleyes )

I'm almost done with my picks... just have to check on my 'upset specials', then I have to pick the national title game teams and winner...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2002, 01:35:18 AM
Cool have you already signed up because there is one more name on there beside mine? Hopefully a few more will sign up like CMJ, if you want you pick your first round games here and complete a bracket on ESPN that is fine with me that way you get have those upsets covered;) Hopefully a few more of the members will get interested, like Jedieb unless he is just too busy to do it which I understand.

CMJ
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:32:11 AM
The * indicates the victor. :)

*1 Duke
16 Winthrop

8 Notre Dame
*9 Charlotte

5 Indiana
*12 Utah

*4 USC
13 UNC-Willmington

6 California
*11 Penn

*3 Pittsburgh
14 Central Conn.

7 Oklahoma State
*10 Kent State

*2 Alabama
15 Florida Atlantic

West Region
*1 Cincinatti
16 Boston University

*8 UCLA
9 Ole Miss

5 Miami
*12 Missouri

4 Ohio State
*13 Davidson

*6 Gonzaga
11 Wyoming

*3 Arizona
14 UC Santa Barbara

*7 Xavier
10 Hawaii

*2 Oklahoma
15 Illinois- Chicago

East Region
*1 Maryland
16 Siena vs Alcorn State (Tuesday Play in Game)

*8 Wisconsin
9 St. John's

*5 Marquette
12 Tulsa

4 Kentucky
*13 Valparaiso

*6 Texas Tech
11 So. Illinois

*3 Georgia
14 Murray State

*7 NC State
10 Michigan State

*2 Connecticut
15 Hampton

Midwest Region

*1 Kansas
16 Holy Cross

8 Stanford
*9 Western Kentucky

*5 Florida
12 Creighton

*4 Illinois
13 San Diego State

*6 Texas
11 Boston College

*3 Mississippi St.
14 McNeese State

*7 Wake Forest
10 Pepperdine

*2 Oregon
15 Montana

Figrin D'an
Mar 12th, 2002, 10:45:10 PM
Okay, here we go... I'll post my first roundpicks here... I'll get the ESPN bracket pool filled out by tomorrow evening.

As CMJ did, the * indicates the winner.

South Region

*1 Duke
16 Winthrop

8 Notre Dame
*9 Charlotte

5 Indiana
*12 Utah

*4 USC
13 UNC-Willmington

*6 California
11 Penn

*3 Pittsburgh
14 Central Conn.

*7 Oklahoma State
10 Kent State

*2 Alabama
15 Florida Atlantic

West Region

*1 Cincinatti
16 Boston University

8 UCLA
*9 Ole Miss

5 Miami
*12 Missouri

*4 Ohio State
13 Davidson

*6 Gonzaga
11 Wyoming

*3 Arizona
14 UC Santa Barbara

7 Xavier
*10 Hawaii

*2 Oklahoma
15 Illinois- Chicago

East Region

*1 Maryland
16 Siena

*8 Wisconsin
9 St. John's

*5 Marquette
12 Tulsa

4 Kentucky
*13 Valparaiso

*6 Texas Tech
11 So. Illinois

*3 Georgia
14 Murray State

7 NC State
*10 Michigan State

*2 Connecticut
15 Hampton

Midwest Region

*1 Kansas
16 Holy Cross

8 Stanford
*9 Western Kentucky

*5 Florida
12 Creighton

*4 Illinois
13 San Diego State

*6 Texas
11 Boston College

*3 Mississippi St.
14 McNeese State

7 Wake Forest
*10 Pepperdine

*2 Oregon
15 Montana

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2002, 02:39:50 PM
Okay here is my first round I will fill out the bracket sometime tonight myself
*1 Duke
16 Winthrop

*8 Notre Dame
9 Charlotte

5 Indiana
*12 Utah

*4 USC
13 UNC-Willmington

*6 California
11 Penn

*3 Pittsburgh
14 Central Conn.

7 Oklahoma State
*10 Kent State

*2 Alabama
15 Florida Atlantic

West Region

*1 Cincinatti
16 Boston University

*8 UCLA
9 Ole Miss

*5 Miami
12 Missouri

*4 Ohio State
13 Davidson

*6 Gonzaga
11 Wyoming

*3 Arizona
14 UC Santa Barbara

7 Xavier
*10 Hawaii

*2 Oklahoma
15 Illinois- Chicago

East Region

*1 Maryland
16 Siena

8 Wisconsin
*9 St. John's

*5 Marquette
12 Tulsa

4 Kentucky
*13 Valparaiso

*6 Texas Tech
11 So. Illinois

3 Georgia
*14 Murray State

*7 NC State
10 Michigan State

*2 Connecticut
15 Hampton

Midwest Region

*1 Kansas
16 Holy Cross

8 Stanford
*9 Western Kentucky

*5 Florida
12 Creighton

*4 Illinois
13 San Diego State

6 Texas
*11 Boston College

*3 Mississippi St.
14 McNeese State

7 Wake Forest
*10 Pepperdine

*2 Oregon
15 Montana

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:41:58 PM
So far the tournament as been unpredicatble. I am 1-2 so for Valpo played a lot worse than I though (I guess than we all though) and I happened to pick Miami which was a bad idea on my part (Miami has a good team but just went against an inconsitent Missouri team who happened to play great today) At least Kent State won for me, but I think my bracket is ruined because I picked Miami to go to the Elite 8, I would have to pick every game right the rest of the way to make up for that.

Figrin D'an
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:34:20 PM
Yeah, things have been a bit weird thus far. I was right with Mizzou beating Miami, but I didn't take the popular upset pick of Kent over OK. State, and I thought that Kentucky might come out flat, so I picked Valpo... oh well.

Things could get even uglier, though... last I saw, Florida Atlantic had a small lead on Alabama, Tulsa and Marquette are in a battle and Davidson was giving a game to Ohio State...

Not pretty...

darth_mcbain
Mar 14th, 2002, 03:40:16 PM
So far I'm doing alright - although I washed out with the OK - Kent State game - I picked OK... But I picked up with Missouri and Kentucky...

Figrin D'an
Mar 14th, 2002, 09:54:05 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my bracket is pretty much busted. Two teams that I picked to go far in the tournament, Marquette and Gonzaga, are both gone, and another, USC, could be going down in another minute or so. If Ohio State, Alabama and Kansas hadn't have held on to win their games, my bracket would have been a complete disaster. I'm close to throwing in the towel on this year already as far as predictions go, and just kicking back and enjoying the games...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:19:58 PM
The same with me I was shocked to see Gonzaga lose, they must have been really upset that they were seeded so low, I thought it would motivate them the other way, oh well, I should have picked Arizona, I thought about it but I picked Gonzaga to make it to the Final Four, oh well, at least I didn't put any money on it so. by the way Arizona is in a close game, if they lose I will really be shocked. Looks like Indiana is beating Utah by 10, man it shows how hard it is to pick this darn thing. I still will try to predict the 2nd round, but not too sure how good I will be at it.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2002, 12:58:24 AM
Well I picked 8 winners in 16 games today. Go me. :P I did REAL well. ;)

Figrin D'an
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:09:28 AM
Yeah, that is pretty good compared to the rest of us... :)

The past few years, I've been really good about picking the first round. I usually only miss 3-4 games in the opening two days... this year, however... eeek...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:13:02 AM
I got 8 right too so we are tied CMJ :P Seriously this is the wackiest I have seen the tournament so many upsets and the upsets that I thought would happen don't. (Utah and Valpariso) Now I am wondering how I will do in tomorrow's games.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:18:03 AM
I think the wackiest tourney I remember was 2 years ago. I mean Wisconson and North Carolina both made the Final Four as 8 seeds.

Of course...most of the major upsets that year occured in Round # 2. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:36:15 AM
Yeah I remember that but still the favorite won right? Michigan State they beat Florida in the title game.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2002, 01:41:44 AM
Yeah...but overa;; that was one crazy tourney. One region(I think the west) had like a 3, 7, 8, and 12 seeds in the swweet 16. I mean it was wild that year. The Spartans won it all basically because they were the only dominant team to survive their region.

Figrin D'an
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:15:08 AM
I went 7-9 on day 1... that's really bad for me. Usually, I go 12-4 or 13-3 (sometimes 14-2) on each of the first two days of the tournament. I hope tomorrow is better, but my bracket is still pretty much gone... I had USC and Gonzaga in the Sweet 16, and I had Marquette as my sleeper pick for the Final Four.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 02:30:35 AM
I had Gonzaga as my sleeper team for the final four so I know my bracket is pretty much destroyed.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2002, 05:29:23 PM
I went 6 for 8 in the day session...whick probably means most of my picks will lose tonight. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:07:18 PM
I did a little better, I got 10 right so far (as long as UCLA keeps on winning), I might get 11 if Murray State can pull off the upset, I wish I had taken both MVC teams, I thought about it but had already called several upsets, I guess I called the wrong ones :(

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 12:12:33 AM
Ok the games are all about rapped up so I will go and pick tomorrow's games the best that I can

*Duke
Notre Dame
I would like to see ND upset Duke but I don't see it happening

*Kent State
Alabama
I like how Kent State is playing, Alabama is too incosintent and I think there run will end now

*Missouri
Ohio State
I don't think anybody wants to play Missouri they have a lot of talent and will be very dangerous the rest of the way

Wyoming
*Arizona
Arizona just has too much for them and I now think they will make it to the Final Four

Wake Forest
*Oregon
Again Pac 10 dominates

Tulsa
*Kentucky
I think Tulsa will give Kentucky some trouble but I think Wildcats will prevail

*Indiana
UNC-W
Indiana should be able to handle them IMO

*Kansas
Stanford
Kansas will get tested here but probably will survive, I don't think they will make out of the next rond if Illinois meets them though

Will post Sunday's games tomorrow

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2002, 01:44:12 AM
I did better today, although that it was tough to recover from that first day. Overall, I went 18-14 in the first round... pretty bad by my standards, but oh well... makes the tournament a bit more interesting. :)

However... I don't think the upsets are going to continue on this scale. Sure, there will be a couple of lower seeds advancing to the Sweet 16, but all of the first round upsets is just going to make it easier for the surviving 'Big Guns' of the field to move on to the later rounds.

Alright... second round picks (Saturday)...

*1 Duke
8 Notre Dame
Duke has the easiest path to the Final Four of any of the #1 seeds.... the Blue Devils roll in this one.

10 Kent State
*2 Alabama
I think Kent is pretty darn good team, and they'll give Alabama fits in this game. It's hard for me not to pick Kent, but I think the Crimson Tide will survive another round.

*12 Missouri
4 Ohio State
The Tigers are battle-tested after playing though the Big-12 season. Deep down, they're probably better than a 12 seed, and they are better then they're record would indicate.

11 Wyoming
*3 Arizona
With the 'Zag's gone, Arizona's road gets a bit easier. The Wildcats can match up inside with the Cowboys, and 'Zona's perimeter shooting is better.

*7 Wake Forest
2 Oregon
Oregon looked very flat in their game against Montana. Meanwhile, Wake Forest played a pretty good game against a tough Pepperdine squad. If the Ducks don't get their transition game going, Wake will control the tempo. Close one, but I'll take Wake in the upset.

12 Tulsa
*4 Kentucky
I admit, I thought "Team Turmoil" would be out in the first round, but it looks like they might have their confidence back after demolishing Valpo. If that is the case, Kentucky becomes a very dangerous team...

*5 Indiana
13 UNC-W
This game will not be easy for the Hoosiers, but I think they'll get it done in the second half, as that long battle UNC-Willmington had with USC will catch up to them.

*1 Kansas
8 Stanford
Kansas had a scare in the first round, which might just wake them up enough to pull this one out. They have more talent than Stanford, but if Kirk Heinrich is playing hurt (or out), it could be another close call.

CMJ
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:30:31 AM
I was 20 for 32...pretty lousy too. :P

*1 Duke
8 Notre Dame

*10 Kent State
2 Alabama

*12 Missouri
4 Ohio State

11 Wyoming
*3 Arizona

*7 Wake Forest
2 Oregon

12 Tulsa
*4 Kentucky

5 Indiana
*13 UNC-W

*1 Kansas
8 Stanford

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:47:08 PM
Man two upsets we all called one (Missouri) and two of us called the other (Kent State) so now we have two teams 10 or below in the Sweet 16. Really Missouri is not a 12, they are a great team and are scary right now, I think they have a chance at the final four the way they are playing, they still will have to get by Cincinatti and either Arizona or Oklahoma (assuming they beat Xavier) There were also two almost upsets, Notre Dame played a heck of game and came close to knocking off Duke. Wake Forest played a close game with Oregon but they tried to outscore them and got into Oregon's tempo which was one reason they loss, they also loss their best player towards the end which didn't help either. Arizona had some problems with Wyoming but controlled the game throughout, and Kentucky had to fight off Tulsa. Really every game has been close so far except for the two upsets. Kent State just manhandled Alabama and Missouri won their in the first half when they led by 21 points and the game was basically over then. Two more games to go lets see if Indiana and Kansas can survive.

CMJ
Mar 16th, 2002, 07:53:12 PM
I've done good so far today. Only Wake let me down(and they almost pulled it out). I think Kent has a realistic chance at the Final Four(granted they'll have to get by Duke in all probability)...they just play with a ton of passion. Missouri also is a hell of a 12 seed. They underachieved all year...but they have top 10 talent...now we're seeing it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:08:40 PM
They are both very good low seeds, I am hoping one of them makes it to the Final Four, speaking of that was is the lowest seed ever to get to the final four? I know Villanova was the lowest ever to win as 8 but don't think they were the lowest ever.

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:27:56 PM
I cannot believe you picked Wake Forrest over Oregon. You let me down. You never should do that! :)

Wake Forrest is a good team, but Oregon wasn't even playing well and still beat them. I really hope to see Oregon play a better game here, otherwise they will not win their next game, no way. They need to play the game of their lives to win again, lol. They just haven't played so great in the first two games but they did win, so that's nice.

Oregon has an excellent team, definitely a fun team to watch.

I must say that as much as other people go nuts over college bball, I think the pros are way better. Of course, the quality is undeniably better, but aside from that...

First, the three point line in college is absurd. It's practically a layup it is so close and that's not even a joke. EVERY SHOT is a frickin' three pointer by college standards and it just ruins the game, it's stupid. A three point shot is supposed to be far out, not at the darn free throw line. I hate that nonsense. A 15 point lead can disappear in about 1 minute.

The shotclock is way too high. I think 24 seconds is about right, 20 would be ok too actually, that might even speed the game up more, but 34 or whatever it is, that's just ridiculous. It makes for a really slow game if people actually use up the clock, which they sometimes do. Too much passing, not enough shooting, and you get a boring, low scoring game.

It's still fun to watch the NCAA teams, it's just not quite like the pros.

I'm going to the Blazers vs. Wizards game tonight, cannot wait. Even without MJ, that's fine. Three months ago, I wanted the tickets to this game so I could see MJ play. Now, I want to see my Blazers play because I believe they have the second best chance to win an NBA Championship this year. There is no question they are the best team in the league right now at this particular point, so if they can keep that up, they will be able to dethrone the Lakers and Portland will be a Championship city again :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 08:51:27 PM
I thought Oregon played well offensively, especially Jackson, Ridnour, and Jones those three were all amazing, especially Ridnour who couldn't miss there toward the end, and the reason why the game was so close was Wake played a lot better than I thought, they kept hitting the big shots but towards the end their best player got hurt and then those shot wouldn't fall, and Oregon took control then. Really Wake took the wrong strategy to beat Oregon, they should have kept the game low scoring by going inside and take the whole shot clock and not try to win an uptempo game, sure they were in the whole game but that was because they couldn't miss those 3's, if they hadn't fell they would loss by 15 points or so. Now as far as the next game it will depends on who wins tomorrow, I don't think Texas can play with Oregon and they would have to keep the game low scoring, Miss. St is kind of up tempo team so they could play that game but I would give Oregon an edge over them at the moment. I really have to wait and see the matchup.

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:00:40 PM
Oregon played a lot better today than they did in their first round game with Montana... I knew that Wake would give them a hell of a game though. I felt the game was a toss-up, really, and it was. Either team could have pulled out the win in the end. That's why I went with Wake Forest.

I really wanted to pick Kent, but I already had to lower seeds winning today... (one did, one didn't). They're a really good team, and they have a chance to get to the Elite Eight, but Pitt matches up well with them and could cause problems (assuming Pitt beats Cal).

6-2 on the day isn't bad, though. I'll take it after that horrendous first round. :p

I'll post my picks for tomorrow's games a bit later...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2002, 10:49:40 PM
I picked every game right today 8-0, now I will probably go 2-6 tomorrow :P
Ok here are my pics for tomorrow
Cal
*Pitt
I think Pitt is playing great and will now meet Kent State

Texas
*Mississippi St
I think Mississippi St will win but this game is really a toss up.

*Southern Illinois
Georgia
Georgia is very inconsitent and Southern Illinois looked great yesterday so I think it will be the upset of the day

Wisconsin
*Maryland
Wisconsin might keep it close but I think Maryland will advance

UCLA
*Cincinatti
If one of the 1 seeds fell this would be the place UCLA could do it but I think Cincinatti will win only to lose to Missouri Thursday

Xavier
*Oklahoma
Xavier is interesting but Oklahoma is playing pretty good right now, that game between them and Arizona should be a classic.

Crieghton
*llinois
The Illni impressed me last weekend a lot I think they might be a team that can make a run for Atlanta

NC State
*UConn
I think Connecticut has too much for NC State and will advance

Figrin D'an
Mar 17th, 2002, 01:02:51 AM
Sunday's games...

6 Cal
*3 Pitt
Branden Knight played very well in the opener... he'll lead Pitt to the Sweet 16.

6 Texas
*3 Mississippi St
Miss. State is on a roll after the SEC tournament. Texas will prove to be a challenge, but I'll go with the #3 seed.

*11 Southern Illinois
3 Georgia
So. Illinois really took it to Texas Tech, which is a pretty good team. Confidence means a lot in the tournament, and So. Illinois has that right now. Georgia better be ready for a dogfight (no pun intended). Another mid-major team gets to the Sweet 16.

8 Wisconsin
*1 Maryland
Wisconsin just doesn't have the guns to keep up with Maryland... too many transition baskets for the Badgers... Terps move on.

*8 UCLA
1 Cincinatti
UCLA looked like a Final Four team in opener against Ole Miss... they were relaxed and confident... Cincinnati plays much better defense than Ole Miss, but if UCLA plays like they did in the first round, not even the Bearcats will be able to withstand it.

7 Xavier
*2 Oklahoma
Hawaii played Xavier tough and almost pulled off the upset. Close early on, but eventually Oklahoma will open things up, run the court and wear out the Musketeers.

12 Crieghton
*4 Illinois
Illinois finally played like a title contender... if Frank Williams and Corey Bradford stay hot, the Illini can beat anyone in the field.

7 NC State
*2 UConn
This one could be close... I'll take UConn because they have more balance, but NC State has been played extremely well lately...

CMJ
Mar 17th, 2002, 03:24:22 AM
6 Cal
*3 Pitt

6 Texas
*3 Mississippi St

*11 Southern Illinois
3 Georgia

8 Wisconsin
*1 Maryland

8 UCLA
*1 Cincinatti

*7 Xavier
2 Oklahoma

*12 Crieghton
4 Illinois

*7 NC State
2 UConn

CMJ
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:01:17 PM
I went 3 for 8 today. Overall I'm 29 for 48...or roughly 60%. How's everyone else doing? ;)

Figrin D'an
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:03:11 PM
Did better today... went 7-1, the only game I got wrong was Texas/Miss. St., but that was a close one in the end...

How about UCLA coming back to beat Cincinnati? Pretty impressive, even in double overtime. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:32:39 PM
I did 6-2 and have done 14-2 in the second round, a lot better than I did the first round:p I must admit you got me on that UCLA game Figrin, I thougth about picking them but decided against it. I knew the Texas-Miss St game would be a toss up and we all took the wrong team. I picked very conservative today but the upset I picked I got right. Also the games were great today, that UCLA-Cincinatti game was a classic and the Georgia-Souther Illnois game was great too. I got too nervous around the Uconn game, they are the team I am pulling for in the tournament right now (I have liked UConn since the early 90's when they had Marshall and Allen until they finally broke through and won it in 99) I think they have a chance to make it to the Final 4, they should beat Southern Illinois, though I admit they will give them a challenge. Kent State should give Pitt problems too and what about that UCLA-Missouri matchup that should be a heck of game, actually every matchup looks interesting from Arizona-Oklahoma to Kansas-Illiniois.

CMJ
Mar 17th, 2002, 07:35:59 PM
It's gonna be a wonderful Round of 16. I think every match up will be a war...and I definitely see a Cinderealla making the Final Four this year(I consider a Cinderella any seed lower than 4...because no one ever PICKS a 5 seed or lower to win the title).

Figrin D'an
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:54:49 AM
Time to revive this thread, since the first Sweet 16 games start tomorrow night. :)

Sweet 16 Picks:

South
*(1) Duke
(5) Indiana

The Hoosiers actually match up better with Duke than Notre Dame did, but this game might not be as close as that game. Duke had their "scare" game, and Coach K will have them ready for this one.

*(3) Pittsburgh
(10) Kent State
This might be the toughest game of the round to pick... Kent is on a roll and is confident after beating Alabama... Pitt, though, has been quite impressive against Penn and Cal, a couple of solid teams. Brandon Knight will have to have a top game, but I think Pitt will pull this one off... I've liked Pitt all year long, and I'm not going to give up on them now. :)

West
(8) UCLA
*(12) Missouri
UCLA is a bit beat up after that double overtime game with Cincinnati... if they were completely healthy, I might pick them in this game, as they are playing like the team that beat Kansas earlier in the year. However, Missouri is playing just as well, and they are playing like they have something to prove... Even though no #12 seed has ever made it past the Sweet 16 before, Missouri is not an ordinary #12 seed.

*(3) Arizona
(2) Oklahoma
Another tough game... both teams can run, but a continuously fast-paced game would favor Arizona. This one will be won by the team that controls the tempo. The Wildcats have had some close games thusfar, but they know how to play in the tournament... survive and move on. Arizona survives.

East
*(1) Maryland
(4) Kentucky
This one will be a shootout... scores in the 80-90's. I'll take Maryland because they have more outside shooting threats than Kentucky. A run-and-gun game... should be a great one to watch.

*(11) Southern Illinois
(2) Connecticut
These teams are pretty evenly matched... this is a coin-flip game... and of course, rooting for the underdog is more fun. :)

Midwest
(1) Kansas
*(4) Illinois
Illinois played great in it's first two games... they looked like the team they were expected to be at the being of the season. They don't have a dominant inside player, like Kansas does with Drew Goodin, but the Illini know how to play great team defense. If they can slow down Kansas inside game, they can match up on the outside shooting.

(6) Texas
*(2) Oregon
Texas matches up with Oregon pretty well... this one will be a close one, too. I'll go with Oregon, though, as Texas demonstrated that they can give up a lead if they lose focus and turn the ball over. But, this game could easily go the other way.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 21st, 2002, 01:30:42 AM
We are going to have similar pics :)
South
*1 Duke
5 Indiana
I don't really think Indiana will beat Duke, they will probably make it to the Final Four

3 Pitt
*10 Kent State
I am going the opposite way here because as you said it is hard game to predict, I think it could go either way

West
8 UCLA
*12 Missouri
I agree with you Missouri is the better team right now but I think its possible that UCLA could win but I think Missouri will prevail

*3 Arizona
2 Oklahoma
This should be the best game of the weekend and Arizona will triumph

East
1 Maryland
*4 Kentucky
I have a feeling that Kentucky will win this game and knock out another one seed

11 Southern Illinois
*2 UConn
I think Connecticut has too much for them personally, this team has had a nice run but UConn is going to run all over them

Midwest
1 Kansas
*4 Illinois

Illinois is playing great right now I think they have a great shot at making the final four

6 Texas
*2 Oregon
I don't think Texas can play with Oregon and I see the Ducks triumphing this game.

CMJ
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:52:18 AM
*1 Duke
5 Indiana
Coach K will have his boys ready. Indiana plays with them for a half, but Duke wins by 12-15 going away.

3 Pitt
*10 Kent State
I've picked them 2 times so far, so I'm going with the Cinderella again. :)

West
8 UCLA
*12 Missouri
Man this game is tough to pick. Both of these teams are on a roll. Basiclly I'm going with Mizzou because I WANT them to win. ;)

*3 Arizona
2 Oklahoma
Wow, this game could be a Final Four game. Arizona wins a real war of a game.

East
1 Maryland
*4 Kentucky
Kentucky is finally playing up to their potential.

*11 Southern Illinois
2 UConn
Go Salukis!

Midwest
*1 Kansas
4 Illinois

Kansas looked the most dominant of all the teams in the 2nd round.

6 Texas
*2 Oregon
Two real athletic, running teams. Being from Texas originally I despise the Horns(if you're from the state you either love'em or hate'em because you owe your allegiance to another state school), so go Ducks. :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:45:03 PM
Holy shiznit... Indiana 74, Duke 73...

In the first half, Duke looked like it was ready to play and ready to dominate... they turned into a completely different team in the second half... they played conservative, they let Indiana control the tempo of the game. Give credit to the Hoosiers... they saw the momentum of the game changing to their favor and just decided to take it right at the Blue Devils.

I pretty much can't stand Indiana basketball (hey, I'm a Purdue grad, so go figure... :rolleyes ), but they played a hell of a game in the second half...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:57:20 PM
I am in shock, Duke was up 12 points then I turned it, then I turned it back on to see if they switched it to the Arizona - Oklahoma game and Indiana was down by one, I was like wow, to me it was because they inserted that big lineup and then began to dominate the boards, still this has to be one of the biggest shockers in the last ten years, I was certain that they would make it to the Elite 8 if not the final four, I though Pitt had a small chance to beat them (if they could survive Kent State) but not Indiana, now this widens it up even more. Another favorite (at least according to ESPN) Arizona also went down by 20 points that is a shock too, I though Arizona was playing great and beginning to get on a roll I guess Arizona's youth caught up to them. Looks like so far we are batting a 1.000 ;)

BUFFJEDI
Mar 21st, 2002, 11:01:27 PM
just wanted to pop in and say DUKE GOT BEAT!!!! and I love it.If it ain't Carolina blue,it's really green(you had to be there) o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:44:26 AM
This is why I love college Basketball, 3 of the 4 games were great (Missouri-UCLA was close until the last 5 minutes) and now we have three teams in that are seeded 5 and below, only Oklahoma is left of the big boys is the South and West. Are there going to be any #1 seeds left??? Maryland and Kentucky are playing some hot teams too. Also what about Kent State, I think they have a great chance of making the final four now that Duke is gone. Their game should be interesting considering that Kent State knocked off Indiana last year, will their be vengence or will Kent State make it. One think I wonder if Indiana will be emotionally drained after beating Duke but then again there is the revenge factor.

As far as how I did today 2-2, not bad considering nobody saw Indiana beating Duke.
I think I will do better tomorrow.

CMJ
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:12:14 AM
No matter who wins the Kent State Indiana game a Cinderella of sorts will be in the Final Four. I love it! Of course, I like and respect Duke(Coach K is a God, up there with Wooden) so it was sorta sad to see'em go down..BUT the tourney is all about upsets and Cinderella.

Speaking of which...Mizzou has a shot at OU as well. Wouldn't it be great to have a 10 seed and a 12 in the Final Four!? :D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:21:59 AM
Yeah I think that would be a great thing, just curious what is the lowest seed ever to make it to the Final Four? I know Villanova was the lowest ever to win, Seton Hall was pretty low when it got beat by Michigan (either an 8 or 9 can't remember) so has a 10 seed or lower ever made it?

CMJ
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:32:47 AM
LSU made it as an 11 seed in the mid 80's.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:41:53 AM
Thanks I thought there was one team lower than a 9 that made it, but I wasn't sure who. If Missouri makes I guess that will make them the lowest.

darth_mcbain
Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:53:11 AM
Go IU Hoosiers!!! I have to say I'm really happy to see my old alma mater beat Duke, and without Knight, I might add!!! I didn't actually pick them, but I'm still really pleased they won. Don't know how far they'll get in the tourney, but what a great upset!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:26:07 PM
I know it is a game for the ages. I thought Duke was going to win after Williams hit that three pointer and was fouled. I love the reaction of Davis he just fell over and yelled at the guy who did it. And then Williams choked at the line and Boozer couldn't get the ball to go in and that was it, it was a heck of game really. As far as how far they will get, well it depends on how they are emotionally, if they aren't emotionally drained and get motivated to get revenge on Kent State they could win, if not then Kent State could just dominate them, they are a great team I have to say that.

CMJ
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:31:12 PM
I knew Williams would miss that shot. He's been so bad at the stripe in clutch situations all year. But when Boozer got the rebound I was sure Duke was gonna pull it out. Was it just me or did IU hack the crap out of him? I was shocked they didn't call a foul on Boozer's attempt.

CMJ
Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:09:45 AM
Well...I'm nw 33 for 56. Thats around 59% accuracy(pretty lousy).

Today I like....

Kent State over Indinana

Oklahoma over Mizzou

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:16:37 PM
I haven't done much better I will take Kent State over Indiana too but Missouri over Oklahoma tomorrow I like UConn over Maryland and Oregon over Kansas.

Figrin D'an
Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:09:51 PM
Looks like I'll have time to squeeze in my picks for the Elite Eight... I almost forgot that I hadn't given them yet. >_<

Indiana over Kent St.

Missouri over Oklahoma

Maryland over UConn

Kansas over Oregon

Edit: So far, I'm 34/56 with my picks... 60.7%

I was only 3-5 in the Sweet 16, though... ouch.

CMJ
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:14:11 PM
Well..I was 1-1 today. Tommorrow I like...

Kansas over Oregon(great game)

UConn over Maryland

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:30:27 PM
I was 0-2, today, gambled with the upsets, and I am doing the same tomorrow so we shall see, I am biased with UConn, I hope they beat Maryland but they are a very young team so I guess we shall see. I think the Oregon-Kansas will be great too, it could go either way.

CMJ
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:56:30 PM
I went 1-1 on Sunday too. Overall I'm 35 of 60. Man I suck this year.

I'll post my Final Four predictions later in the week.

Off hand though...I think it's gonna be a real competetive Final 4. There are 3 heavyweights and one sleeper...that knocked off a heavyweight.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2002, 12:09:09 AM
I was terrible this weekend 0-4 for I went for all the underdogs that was probably why, I was routing for UConn too, they could have won that game but there younger players hurt them by turning the ball over late and making some bad shots, they will be awesome next year they are only losing one player (Artese) as long as Butler doesn't leave as a junior they should be a title contender. I will post mine later too but right now I am thinking it will be Oklahoma vs Kansas they look like the two best teams.

CMJ
Mar 27th, 2002, 02:48:36 PM
I'm gonna go with....

Oklahoma over Indiana

Kansas over Maryland

*I've picked Indiana to lose EVERY game so far...so with my luck they're gonna win the whole damn tournament*

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:47:11 AM
Darn I am picking the same two teams I just don't see Maryland beating Kansas and Oklahoma is playing great ball right now.

Figrin D'an
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:13:39 AM
Well... I guess it's up to me to make the odd picks, huh. :)

Oklahoma over Indiana - Sorry, but I have to go this way too. If Indiana was completely healthy, they MIGHT have a shot at this, but not with Coverdale's injury. Oklahoma's defense is the best of the Final Four teams, and Indiana won't have the kind of shooting display they did against Kent State. The Sooners will slowly wear down the Hoosiers, and win going away late.

Maryland over Kansas - This is going to be one hell of a game. These were the two best teams in the nation during the regular season (yes, both were better than Duke, IMO). Talent-wise, Kansas probably has the advantage in this matchup, and the Jayhawks have pretty significant size advantage. The Terps have much more experience than Kansas, though, especially on this kind of national stage. They returned virtually everyone from their Final Four squad from last year... a team that had a 17 point lead on Duke in the national semifinal before adopting too conservative a gameplan. Let's face it... the game is going to be tight the entire way, scoring in the 80's or low 90's. Either team is completely capable of winning this game. It's bascially a coin-flip game. I'm just going to go with the more experienced Maryland team. (I certainly wouldn't mind if Kansas won, though... Roy Williams is overdue for his national title shot.)

CMJ
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:16:57 PM
I went 0-2 today...Overall 35 of 62. Thats a touch over 56%. :(

Man...once again the Hooseiers won! I can't believe I've picked against them every round so far...they've made me look like an idiot. Nonetheless I'm gonna take maryland in the Final.

Maybe you guys should take Indiana..they have cursed me so far this tourney. ;)

Figrin D'an
Mar 31st, 2002, 11:06:02 PM
Indiana has had a pretty amazing run, beating Duke, the upstart Kent State team, and Oklahoma. I think they are capable of beating Maryland if they play one of their best games of the season. For that to happen, they need Coverdale to score, as well as run the point... he can't have the poor shooting game he did against Oklahoma. They'll also need big games from Jeffries, Newton and either Odle or Fife. That's a lot to ask... it could happen, but the chances are not in the Hoosier's favor...

If you examine all of the recent national championship teams, each has had one player that has demonstrated a 'refuse to die' attitude and has carried his team to the title. (Examples: Battier for Duke, Cleaves for Michigan St., Moore for UConn, Shepard for Kentucky, Simon for Arizona). This year, that player, IMO, is Juan Dixon. One way or another, I think he'll find a way to carry his team to the title.

Maryland wins the National Title, and Juan Dixon is the Final Four MVP.

darth_mcbain
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:24:06 AM
Well, unfortunately my IU Hoosiers didn't have what it took to pull off the championship... :( But they put up a good run throughout the whole tournament, and they have nothing to hang their heads about. Congrats to the Terps - I was happy to see them win as they had never won before.