PDA

View Full Version : Doris Kearns Goodwin in trouble

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:46:08 AM
I had heard something about her in trouble for plagerism but didn't know the whole story until now here is an article from the Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/059/nation/Goodwin_loses_appearances_over_book_row+.shtml

It is very serious charge one that will probably ruin her for good, most historical associations don't look kindly on plagerism and for good reason too. It really doesn't surprise me about her so now hopefully that whole deal about a book she was writing on Lincoln that was going to make him look very bad will never get published (it shouldn't who knows where she got her sources).

Jedieb
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:10:24 PM
I haven't read the article you posted but I have to say I'm shocked! I'm familiar with Kearns and she's a very well respected historian. What the hell is wrong with these people? First Ambrose has his work questioned now Keanrs. Who'd a thunk it?:\

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:05:09 PM
Granted, unattributed use of material does happen, and when writing a book, I can completely see something small slipping through the cracks in the editing process. But, the number of mistakes made in this case is pretty unbelievable...

If I remember correctly, Ambrose simply forgot to use a footnote to give credit for a quotation he found from some source material... a mistake that he corrected and personally apologized for. I can accept that.

I'm willing to give most anyone the benefit of the doubt... but it makes it harder to accept when multiple "mistakes" of that magnitude are found, and continue to be found, in the same book. If they were indeed accidental, Goodwin's notetaking system that she mentioned must have been EXTREMELY disorganized...

Jedieb
Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:28:44 PM
Ambrose has had similiar problems. It just wasn't one book in which uncredited passages were found. It was at least 2 maybe even more Ambrose books. I'd like to give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:10:26 PM
From another article I read it looks like she is blaming it on her research assistants for the mistakes the same with Ambrose I think I read somewhere else, still it is their fault they shouldn't be relying on research assistants so much, in a rush to get the book out, they should double check it themselves that is just my opinion, I guess I was pushed about the subject so hard in the 6 years of College that I have spent and since I am probably going on to get my Doctorate and being in a similar position both Ambrose and Goodwin is in, its a good thing that I have been pushed so hard on those footnotes. I also wouldn't my name all over this board and become a legend or anything:p