PDA

View Full Version : Proof AMD processors run hot enough to fry eggs

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:03:07 AM
http://www.handyscripts.co.uk/trubador_egg.htm

That's just plain wrong.

Darth Viscera
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:32:49 AM
I'm using the exact same mainboard and proc as him, and I believe I usually run around 42C/45C load. His tutorial seems okay, but I can't believe he used brown sauce! I've never tried brown sauce on eggs...isn't that more for meats and pan fry? Picante sauce is good on eggs, but it gives you the runs hours later. Charley, what's your culinary suggestion for egg-topping?

You can also fry an egg on a good power supply when its fan is broken, so long as you use a good conductor. Take a Tbsp water (make sure it's distilled, as impure water will conduct electricity and will be very bad for your CPU if you make a boo-boo) and put it onto your conductor, switch on your computer and wait until the water evaporates. When the pure water has evaporated, that's the signal that your conductor is ready for the egg. You don't want to use PAM or Vegetable/olive oil, because that will splatter onto the mainboard components and could also cause a booboo. Now, crack the egg onto your conductor, being sure not to splatter egg whites onto the mainboard, and cook the egg as usual. Myself, I prefer sunny side up, just a little runny. When the egg is done, turn off your computer and carefully *I cannot emphasize this enough!* lift the conductor up using something to protect your fingers from the heat (a glove will do, but a condom will turn semi-melty, so don't use that) and put the egg on a plate. Carefully inspect the bottom of the egg for metal fragments (you don't want to be poisoned) and top with picante sauce, sprinkling shredded mozarella on the egg if you like.

Again, heat distribution is everything!

Vinny Red
Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:40:09 PM
I'm running an Athalon 1700 XP, so I could probably do that too! Fried eggs anyone?!?!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:04:43 PM
You can do that with a p4 too, if you disable some of the automatic downclocking.

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:43:48 PM
Mjy sssuggessstjion forrr eggsss?

Weelllllll......jI am a ssscrrrambled egg fan, and jI prrreferrr Jjim Beam hot sssauce on mjy eggsss! jYummjy!!!

Champion of the Force
Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:55:13 PM
That's why I have a huge Mother of a fan sitting on my Athlon 1600XP. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:09:00 PM
I remember the aruments that occured when Intel began to suggest you needed heatsinks, back in the 486/DX100 days. There was al sorts of flamewars about how it was bad design for a PC to require cooling. And when the Pentums Toasters came out with their fans.... All hell broke loose with that. Claims of shoddy desgn, overstressed silicon, PC's crashing down with fan failures....

And now you have AMD running hot enough to catch fire and cook eggs. It seems to me that the clock cycles have been pushed too high for the design.

What happened to the days where only mainframes were the only things that were able to cook food on?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:33:02 PM
Intel runs just as hot as AMD does at .18 micron.

Darth Viscera
Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:59:27 AM
Well, the Pentiums and DX/100's were made of ceramic, weren't they? Darn things felt like a person scraping a fingernail against a chalkboard *shudder*

Sith Ahnk
Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:30:33 AM
I'm quite privy to using a frying pan

Darth Viscera
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:03:08 AM
uh huh. how many 3Dmarks can that frying pan pull? you need at least a Pentium II 266 to fry an egg.

Darth Viscera
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:03:47 AM
Although a Cyrix M2-200 might do the trick.

Sith Ahnk
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:07:32 AM
I meant to fry an egg not power my computer
I've got a 866... I wonder... I wonder...
*begins to set up experiment*

Darth Viscera
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:09:47 AM
heck, a Cyrix M2-300, that thing'd fry a frying pan O_O

Sith Ahnk
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:50:53 AM
Who would eat a frying pan sandwhich?

Vinny Red
Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:55:03 PM
I just wish that AMD had used the same sort of feature that Intel used in theres, so that when your chip does start to overheat it just slows down and not well wreck your chip and your board

anyone ever the see the video where they had Q3A running on a bunch of machines and they took all the fans off and the athalon just caught fire?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:02:46 PM
It was the entire heatsink/fan, and yeah, whoever did that didn't much care for their investment.

The chance of having a fan fall off is pretty slim if it was put on right in the first place.

Shawn
Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:05:58 PM
The guy said he didn't care if it fried the processor as well (which it apparently didn't).

sirdizzy
Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:13:51 PM
i have a 1ghz AMD athlon proccessor on my laptop and ya can feal the heat if ya put your hands on the vent i doubt its hot enough to fry an egg though