PDA

View Full Version : The Good War

Captain Tyle
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:07:04 AM
War...it is a great paradox.

Something that we all see in some diluted form or another as children, from the other boys in the schoolyard playing gunfight with their fingers, to the holomovies we might watch on Saturday Matinees, with daydreaming eyes. The story is always the same. The good guys fight the bad guys, the heroes never die, and live happily ever after. The bad guy is always caught or killed, and always...gets what he deserves. Everything told in broad brush strokes, in black and white. Shades of grey are very rarely found, and when uncovered, bleed to one polar view or the other.

Suprisingly, little changes when children become adults. We read more books, and percieve an understanding that some long-dead philosopher has told us is prudent. We prioritize the trivial, and the shades of grey that never existed when we were young. We learn to look at War objectively, but with little more wisdom than our younger selves. We denounce and praise the barbarism inherent to our kind, because long-dead philosophers have expounded on it. We look at holos of the fight of others, and presume to think we are wiser than those fallen warriors. That they are foolish, or worse...deliberate murderers. And when our fellow man is pin-pricked, half a galaxy away, our devotion to a nation's banner boils our blood and blocks our reason, and we would return their slings and arrows a thousand fold to validate our loss.

There is one constant, through all of this. We do not understand war. If there is a greater deity over us, I pray to them that we never do. Though the ignorance of those who will never pick up a rifle will send thousands to die by one, the demons that lick a man's soul after he's been through the black chasm of death are too much for any man to bear. I endure on strength I know not where I have found. My fellow man, my children, and my posterity do not deserve this. I would rather their bodies be casualties, like my fallen brothers...than their souls, like my own.

I am of the few who have seen War. Who know War. And I am forever changed. If there is that greater deity, I am that farther apart from their blessing touch. It is that I endure, to protect my comrades, and ultimately, those who take up arms against me.

Memoirs --
Sgt. Nemor Tyle, NRSF
November 18, 3456

(2 days prior to the battle of Cilpar)

<center><font size =20>* * *</font></center>

(The calm before the storm was a good way of putting it. With no enemy fleet around within 10 parsecs, the New Republic Expeditionary Fleet was unopposed from the starry vantage point over the blue planet of Cilpar. Tyle had experienced it it before. Hot meals, free alcohol and cigars, and a lulling quiet. Some of the non-comms would attend little parties in the ship's galley held by the morale officers. It helped to distract them from what lay ahead, and that did alot of good for most. For one more night, they could live a little. After that, it was all up to fate.

Tyle took solace in a bottle of scotch, and a well-aged cigar. It was a tradition he'd carried with him for years...before the Second Death Star was destroyed. The cigar was long and thick, exquisitely made by some Malastarian aficionado. The kind that you never finished in one sitting, just clipped and saved for another go. The scotch, after tonight, would be transferred to a small flask he kept in a lapel pocket of his BDU's. A button-down officer graduate would tell him that such items weren't permitted on combat excursions, but that same man would be the one ordering in artillery strikes...a mile away from the front line. He delegated, and killed from a distance, often never having to see the light fade from his enemies eyes. Tyle scoffed at that hypothetical man, and envied him at the same time. The cigar and scotch weren't an excess luxury. They were a medicine...a temporary remedy for the ails of war. Some rules were important. Some were crafted from sheer ignorance. Tyle felt no dereliction of duty in such things.

A door slid open at the small mess hall, and a thick-bodied sergeant entered, with close-cropped hair, and a face that looked like it was carved from old leather and beaten with a shovel for good measure. But then again, Sergeant Wargrave was likely the prettier of the two. They were both haggard from their profession, and they both knew exactly what waited for them...down on Cilpar.)

Sergeant Tyle: Wargrave, you look like hell. You must've gotten your beauty sleep.

(Tyle passed the bottle to the man)

Sgt. Jon Wargrave
Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:59:55 PM
A grin came to my face as I looked at my CO.

"Beauty sleep. Yeh."

I took the scotch, drinking straight from the bottle. Manners be damned. I wasn't paid to be all 'nice and neat'. My job was to fight for the New Republic where ever they sent me.

Never ask questions, obey your commanding officer.

I handed the bottle back to Tyle, then took a wad of tobacco out of the pouch in my jacket pocket. I stuffed it in my mouth. The straight tobacco, with just a hint of peach, mixed in my mouth.

"Dammit Tyle, why the hell're we old gits up 'ere? We oughta be down with the others partyin."

I stared out into space, then scoffed.

"Two days huh?"

Captain Tyle
Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:43:15 PM
(Tyle lingered on his cigar, watching the smoke as his thoughts drifted)

Sergant Tyle: John, to tell you the truth...I don't feel much in the mood for a party.

(He glanced at a datapad in front of him, sighing. His hard face got a little harder as he sneered, cursing aloud)

Sergeant Tyle: The brass have really screwed me on this one, John. General West talked to me today.

(He gestured for the bottle again, filling a glass in front of him that was running low. He took a bit off the top, scowling as he removed a box from his pocket)

Sergeant Tyle: He says to me, "Sergeant...this is big. We need good men to step up and be leaders." You know, that motivational horsecrap that means about as much to me as a bothan fart. I told him to cut to the chase, and he gave me this.

(Tyle opened up the box, and let the Lieutenant's insignia bar clatter to the desk. For a moment, they just looked at it, and Tyle picked it up, staring hard at it as he prattled on)

Sergeant Tyle: Seems there's been a power vacuum somewhere. Some promotions have been spreading around, and people keep moving up the ladder, and keep making holes for other people to fill. Lieutenant Bryersen got a transfer to the 94th. That means that the Krayts don't have a CO.

(Tyle's jaw clenched, and he took another reluctant nip of scotch)

Sergeant Tyle: So, in the good General's infinite wisdom, he's decided that its time for me to take the helm. I told him my place was with Baker platoon, and he then ordered me to take the commision. Made me one of them...you know...offers I can't refuse.

That sonufabitch.

(Tyle emptied his glass again, reaching to his lapel)

Sergeant Tyle: Oh yeah, that reminds me...

(He unpinned a gold pin in the shape of a stetson cap, and let it clatter on the desk over to Wargrave.)

Sergeant Tyle: West is pulling you from Charlie platoon to take up the slack. You're leading my boys, now.

Sgt. Jon Wargrave
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:24:16 PM
"Aw crap," I spoke, spitting part of the tobacco into the brass spitoon I'd placed on the table. I took the scotch again, taking another swig.

"G-dammit man, they promoted you?" I cursed, little bit of tobacco coming out of my mouth as I did.

"I swear, the f'n command make me wonder what'n the blue hell they're thinking. Don't get me wrong Nemor, you'd make a great commanding officer. But you'd think the brass..." my rambling trailed off.

I took the pins from the Sarge (he'd always be the Sarge in my mind), taking a look at 'em. I knew Tyle was sorry to see him lose his position in Baker Company. Even if he did take over all of the Krayts

I topped Tyle's glass off, then raised the bottle in a toast.

"Well, here's to us old-timers who just do our job. You want me to assemble a team?"

Captain Tyle
Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:57:00 PM
Lieutenant Tyle: Negative. They're giving you all of Baker. Intact. No other major personnel changes.

(Tyle swirled the dregs of his glass around, as he mulled over the words in his head)

Lieutenant Tyle: They're good boys, John. They've been my boys for a year now. You know, I ain't ever held a platoon intact for that long. I don't know if we just hit a dry spell, or got lucky...but I've watched em grow up.

(The Lieutenant sighed, downing the remnants of his scotch)

Lieutenant Tyle: I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

(He stood up, holding the lieutenant's insignia bar in his right hand, looking at it)

Lieutenant Tyle: I'd like to think its good to have met men of their caliber, and to have been in their good company for so long. Men I'm proud to serve with, and that I have grown to respect and love. There isn't a one of them that I don't know. Hell, I even know the names of their dogs, the ones who got em.

(Tyle turned to stare out the viewport)

Lieutenant Tyle: But I know...such times of peace are fleeting, and our luck can't hold forever. I don't know what the higher ups have told you, or what you've heard through the grapevine...but Cilpar isn't going to be an easy campaign.

(He turned around, his face even graver than usual)

Lieutenant Tyle: John, these guys are the fanatics. The flag-bearing inner circle guys...probably have the TSE crest branded on their ass or whatever they do to their zealot squads. Our troops - my men - are going to die. Its my own damn fault for getting that close to em, cause ain't nothin in the Forces that lasts forever, 'xcept for the Forces itself. I suppose...that's half of West's motivation. He doesn't want to have em lost at my hand.

(Tyle's fist closed tight over the insignia)

Lieutenant Tyle: But dammit to Hell, if it comes to that, I wanna be there next to em. As it stands, I'm gonna be leading from a distance. I thrive on closeness...thats how I lead John and you know it. Pulling me away from my men is hard. I hope I've got what it takes to lead the way the Forces needs me to lead.

(With a somewhat-resigned face, Tyle took his seat once again)

Lieutenant Tyle: Sarge, I've called a regiment meeting at zero eight hundred. If you're lookin for orders, I suppose I'd like you to assemble Baker platoon at zero seven hundred. Guess I'd like a few parting words with em, before I take the big saddle.

Sgt. Jon Wargrave
Mar 4th, 2002, 11:47:49 AM
"Understood, sir," I spoke, giving Tyle a salute.

I took one last look as I walked away. Tyle sat there, staring out into space as smoke from his cigar wafted up into the galley.

"Nemor," I said as he turned, "You'll do fine. It's damned stupid of them, but you'll do fine."

I saluted him, then left.

0650 Hours

"C'mon you pansies get your asses outta bed!" I snarled, as I marched down the twin columns of cots in the ship's barracks.

"Wha-what's goin' on Sarge?" a sleepy Private stumbled out of his cot, "Where's Tyle?"

"Tyle's gotta few words he wants to say. And don't ask questions you don't need to ask! In fact, gimme 20 right now."

When the Private hit the deck for pushups, everyone else shot to their feet. I let a tight smile come to my face as I saw that.

"Now listen up fellas. Tyle's got a few words he wants to say to you guys. Let's go men. Briefing room. On the double!"

0659:59

I stood at attention as the men marched into the room. Tyle had trained them well. I only hoped to be able to do the same.

"All right men. Tyle would like to have a few words with you."

I saw Tyle walk in, looking more haggard than I.

"Lieutenant on deck!"

Lt. Arlon Nomura
Mar 7th, 2002, 09:51:16 PM
Duty.

It was what held the fabric of his life together.
No. That was wrong. It was the fabric of his life.

Lt. Arlon Nomura, officer of The Sith Empire.

Husband, father, friend. But above all these things - he was a Soldier.

That is who he is.

Lt. Arlon Nomura was stationed at Strategic Command Base, Zulu Quadrant , on the blue planet Clipar and had so been since his arrival 9 months ago.

He had seen many changes, the most marked had been the withdrawal of TSE from this, and planets just like it. The action was an astounding precedent within the Galaxy and Nomura, like so many of his peers, had trouble understanding the hows or whys for such a course of action.

But understanding was a luxury for the unlisted or undisciplined. It had been ordered - and so it had been done.

Lt. Nomura had been instructed, along with his company, to remain at "Zulu" until such time as orders dictated otherwise.
Nomura had no idea how long, or what the reason they were to
remain at the outpost, but in obedience, he continued to serve the Empire with all diligence.

0700hrs

The mess hall cleared,as men in robot-like synchronisity, left their breakfast trays and black coffee to gather in the main gym to hear the days A.M. communique with regards to latest developments and orders from TSE HeadQuarters. Nomura,
ramrod straight and at attention, was among them.

Duty..

It was his god - Battle, his religion

And Clipar, his altar of sacrifice.

Captain Tyle
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:10:27 AM
Lance Corporal Savel: Ateeein-hoo!

(The uniform clap of bootheels on plate metal deck resonated as Lieutenant Tyle made his way to the front of the assembled ranks of Baker Platoon. As Tyle watched the men, his men, stand at attention, he felt a bit of reverie for the situation. He'd always prided his men on being the best. Being the strongest. Being the toughest. It all left him a bit shaken for the time when they wouldn't be his men. He'd vouch for Sergeant Wargrave any day. Since Endor, they'd served in every major campaign together...on forward duty, where it mattered. The comraderie there was something authors strove to capture in the ink of a pen, and tired men who'd seen too much killing...could capture with simply a look into their eyes.)

Lieutenant Tyle: At ease, platoon!

(The soldiers moved their hands from their sides to clasp at their backs. Their feet spread to shoulder width, in a choreographed unison.)

Gentlemen. I have spoken with General West. He says that the One-Two-Seven will be going planetside. We are the first wave in our push on Cilpar. Congratulations for the point job, men. I know you will do your Republic proud.

(Tyle paused)

I will not be leading you in.

(It caused a slight murmuring among the troops)

General West, has ordered myself to lead in the entire One-Two_Seven. Effective Immediately, I am now your Regiment CO.

(He smiled a little)

Do not think because I am climbing the promotion ladder by one rung that you can relax your ass holes for one second. If I have to come from Regiment HQ down to Baker to bust your ass, it will make the rest of our sordid associations look like a sweet sixteen prom date, ladies.

(The comment elicited a few laughs)

Replacing me, from Charlie Platoon, is Sergeant Wargrave. Make no mistake, men...he will rewrite your definitions of the term hardass. Like the chain of command, if he doesn't make the grade, I will bust his ass, the same way I have busted your asses in the past. Your new Sergeant and myself were carved from the block of wood, so don't think about getting soft on him. He eats nails and craps assault rifles, and I have chosen him to make sure that Baker Platoon, One-Two_Seven, is the best damn infantry unit in the whole damn Republic.

(Tyle paused, his tone softening somewhat)

It has been an honor to be your CO. Under the worst pressure, and against all possible odds, you have evolved from your mother's sons, into men I'm proud to call soldiers. Proud even to call brothers. You have served for two years under the most vile hell I could throw at you, and you have served with valor beyond all commendations. Though I will no longer be your platoon commander, I will continue to watch you, continue to lead you, and I know I will continue to remain proud of you all.

(He removed his hat)

Cilpar will be far more difficult than any task I have set before you. The demands are higher, as are the costs. Men will die here, and nothing I can do will change that. But on my word, I will defend your lives with my own. I will not abandon you. Together, we will fight for the principles our great nation believes in, and secure the prosperity that the Republic was founded on. It is this solemn mission that we embark on. And we will not fail.

(Tyle placed his hat back on)

Good luck, Baker platoon. I'll see you at general brief. Zero-Eight-Hundred

(He pivoted on a heel, crisply saluting Wargrave)

Carry on, Sergeant Wargrave. Brief your men, and regroup in one hour for Regimental brief.

(Tyle exited, leaving Wargrave to address his new platoon. There was alot of work yet to do.)