PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop, any suggestions?

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2002, 02:19:04 PM
I'm going to be buying/ordering a laptop this weekend. I basically need it for work and some web projects. Nothing major, I just need to be able to run FrontPage, a PC version of AppleWorks, and a decent graphics/image program like Photoshop. The only indulgence I want from the laptop is a DVD player. It doesn't have to be an awesome player, just one good enough to run my Citizen Kane or TPM DVD. I'm not interested in burning or listening to CDs and I have access to an external CD drive at work. I'm also a notoriously CHEAP BASTARD! I've settle on a Toshiba right now. Here's a link to what I'm looking at picking up this Sunday:

https://www.officedepot.com/shop/catalog/sku.asp?BC=3%3A17%3A1702%3A1702002&ID=238722&LEVEL=SK&SID=S6LFJALVPQLH8KG8UV124TGWLHJXFWVF&PP=301001

I'm deadset on keeping the price under $1,000. That model will actually come out to $799 after the rebates. So any opinions or suggestions? What do ya think?
:)

BUFFJEDI
Feb 28th, 2002, 10:13:14 PM
Cheap Bastard?

I didn't know you were cheap;)

Wish I could help you on the lap top. The one I have weigh's like 50 pounds and NO plug in for net access.That should tell you how old it is:(

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2002, 10:28:24 PM
Thanks anyway buff. I was just hoping somebody could tell me whether or not that was a good buy for the price. I've been doing some research the past few days and I think I'm getting my money's worth but I just wanted to be sure.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2002, 10:31:58 PM
That sounds like a good price I am not expert on prices on Laptops but that does sound like a good deal.

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 1st, 2002, 07:58:47 PM
Looks like a good deal to me, Jedieb...I've spent a few days recently myself looking at laptops for purchase, and needless to say, they're much higher than that...in fact, that's probably one of the cheapest one's I've seen...everything else close to that were with slower processors ( other sites)...

Jedieb
Mar 1st, 2002, 08:44:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up CB. So what are you getting with yours; CD-Rom, DVD, CD-writer?

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 1st, 2002, 10:11:49 PM
I'm actually looking at a notebook to replace my desktop, so I'll probably go all out on it (and invest a bit more money, but I probably won't buy another comp for several years...I was never into the replacing a computer every year or less thing...my current one I've had for 3 now), cd burner, dvd drive, and all (plus it'd be nice to watch DVDs during class, hehe...)...I figured I'd start looking now, even though I probably won't get one until summer, doesn't hurt to see what's out there...I was playing around last night at the dell site with some of the stuff they have.....some of the options are simply amazing (64mb ATI vid card...)...

Jedieb
Mar 1st, 2002, 10:37:15 PM
WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too fancy for me. I'm just looking for something to match my NEEDS, not my wants. The DVD player is the only luxury I'm affording myself. I made up my mind a long time ago to never spend more than $1,000 on computers. For the simple reason that whatever you buy is ancient in less than a couple of years so why bother? Plus, I've never been into online gaming or PC games so that saves me quite a bit of money. I'll basically use the laptop for the word processor, a web browser, web author, and a DVD player. I can use an external CD player from work so that saves me some pennies also. One thing I'd like to do is take my laptop with me to the SW celebration. Then I could post some updates every night. Oooooooo the possibilities. :)

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:45:56 PM
I picked up my new laptop today and I love it! I'm using it right now! Hurray!!!!!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:06:41 PM
Cool, you can use it to capture all the crazy times with Buff at SW celebration :P