PDA

View Full Version : General Issue of the OOC Forum

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 26th, 2002, 11:58:25 PM
That we the staff want to address. Considering the rather over abundant posting in the OOC forum, just like to reiterate the rule of no spamming and posting needlessly to threads to just post.

It just seems lately that some content being posted here has no baring on anything so ...

For a reminder :)

Q: What is 'spam'?
A: Spam is where a poster posts multiple messages for no good reason, usually to increase their number of posts or to annoy other members. Spamming is not tolerated and can result in the banning of the member responsible. Also be aware that a member's post totals can easily be edited by the administration, and as such anyone caught spamming may also have their post total either reduced or removed completely.

Q: What is the general code of behaviour?
A: Basically be polite and try to keep your posts in good taste. Keep in mind that we do have board members who are still minors and may even be younger than you think. Also it is good form to keep your topic titles descriptive and relative to your actual post and your post on topic for the relevant forum.

Avoid posting offensive remarks involving things like another poster's age, race, gender, or sexual preferance, as well as lewd remarks. These kind of remarks are not appreciated. Swearing is also not appreciated and is seriously looked down upon.

Failure to post and act in a decent manner could result in you being banned from the forums. Please use some common sense

This would also go under trolling and the like.

As always, have fun and enjoy posting back and forth.

This has been a general infopostal form your friendly neighborhood mod :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:53:15 AM
In addition, the staff would also like to remind people that SW threads dealing with topics like the films, novels, boxoffice, collecting etc etc etc are meant to be posted in their relevant forums in the <a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49>Star Wars section</a>, and any that are posted in OOC (or anywhere else) may be moved to their relevant forum.

Just another friendly reminder. :)

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 27th, 2002, 01:53:15 PM
I think the definition of spam is rather vague with regards to content. I mean sometimes I see the top say 6 or 7 threads with last post by the same person, which might look like spam but at the same time the board or forum could be inactive at the time. Plus occasionally I like to use inuendo in my OOC posts, not to the extent of being obvious and distatseful - yet what has just been said makes me wonder as to what exactly is considered spamming.

I think it's a rather difficult thing to point out most of the time and I doubt any examples can be given without singling someone out.

Shawn
Feb 27th, 2002, 02:08:23 PM
Well, having a bit of fun certainly isn't spamming. And if innuendo were a punishable offense, I would have been incarcerated a long, long time ago. :angel

Generally speaking, the very fact that you're concerned about whether or not your posts could be construed as spam means they're not. Spam, as we define it, is mindless posting for the sole purpose of raising one's postcount.

If, for example, you were to make 100 posts in a single day, and the average length of the post was 2-3 words - That might cause us to take notice. If you make a hundred posts a day, but each one contributes to the relevant conversation, then there's no real problem in that.

I hope that clears it up some. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 27th, 2002, 02:11:51 PM
IMO, as a rule of thumb, replying to an OOC post isn't spamming. It's when you barely touch the subject :)

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 27th, 2002, 02:58:56 PM
Okee dokee. Thanks for clearing that up, Nup. :)

Darth Lynch
Mar 1st, 2002, 11:36:29 AM
A: Spam is where a poster posts multiple messages for no good reason

Does this include the tiresome threads where someone says I'm taking a break or shall be gone for XX number of days or weeks? Or to announce they are back. Except to get some people to give them a bit of the old drama of I'll miss you or take or welcome back they're pretty pointless since why does the boards need to know if someones taking a break? People take breaks all the time and do not annouce them, they tell their friends on aim or whatnot usually so never understand the point of doing the same here unless it was to get the same old tired sympthy some crave. Some tend to do it once a month almost.

Could be just me who sees it that way. Just find its rather pointless and spam, much like if someone promotes their board, only they promote their not being here. Its still about them one way or another and borders on spam if nothing else.

Charley
Mar 1st, 2002, 12:09:19 PM
I don't think it would include that at all, since those kind of announcements are informative and useful. :)

Spam is the art of fully-automatic posting that is full of empty calories.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 1st, 2002, 12:09:54 PM
I am not speaking for the other staff but I think that it is our responsibility to post when we are leaving and are back so the posters know. I mean, if I am gone on vacation and a poster contacts me thinking I am here and I'm not... I'd be frustrated. Now they would know to contact ReaperFett, Sanis or an admin.

As for your other point, it is the OOC forum and such announcements are allowed. Not everyone has everyone's email addy, or has email or PM turned on, and not everyone has AIM.

Now, if all that person did was post links constantly and wasn't participating in the community, that would be spam.

Darth Lynch
Mar 1st, 2002, 12:13:49 PM
Fair response thus got no problem with it as such.

imported_QuiGonJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 04:35:50 PM
Course, if anyone really feels like Cheap and completely silly posting, CCnet has a forum for it, named "<a href=http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin/ccnet/board/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Cheep+Cheap!+&number=12&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=>Cheep Cheap!</a>"

And no, this isn't really spamming since there is a link to CCnet at the bottom of the pages here. ;)

MtFbwy!
QuiGonJ

Champion of the Force
Mar 4th, 2002, 05:04:27 PM
there is a link to CCnet at the bottom of the pages here.
Only in the Star Wars styles Qui. :p

imported_QuiGonJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 05:33:11 PM
Then I think you need to fix the other styles. :p

Btw, do you have any banners or anything for us to link back to you in our new site design?

Champion of the Force
Mar 4th, 2002, 06:45:22 PM
Not that I know of. The RPF links back to us with one of our forums banners (condensed in size).

imported_QuiGonJ
Mar 4th, 2002, 07:01:55 PM
I guess we could work with those on our links pages... any particular banner you're fond of?

Champion of the Force
Mar 4th, 2002, 07:58:52 PM
The RPF uses the banner on the Star Wars (Original) style.

I'll go ask the staff - there may be plans to create a proper SWFans link banner that I'm unaware of.

Champion of the Force
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:27:46 PM
Update: If you're still reading Qui, some of the staff and making some images that could be used for links to the board. They should be ready sometime soon (hopefully). :)

Mu Satach
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:56:08 PM
Cool. :)
Proper linkage is a must. :D