PDA

View Full Version : TPM DVD Sales for 2001

Jedieb
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:16:50 PM
These were posted over at TFN. I was kind of surprised, I would have figured #1 rankings in both categories, but it wasn't even close. I guess the fact that TPM had already been released on VHS long before played a part. Also, the sales data may be for just 2001 and not 2002. Anyway, here are the numbers:

Top Selling DVDs 2001
Shrek (8m)
Pearl Harbor (7.4m)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (5.5m)
The Mummy Returns (5.3m)
Planet of the Apes (4.4m)
Cast Away (4.4m)
Jurassic Park III (4.3m)
SW: EPI - The Phantom Menace (4.2m)
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs (4m)
Rush Hour 2 (3m)

DVD Sales Revenue 2001
Shrek ($157m)
Pearl Harbor ($144m)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas ($104m)
Planet of the Apes ($101m)
Cast Away ($97m)
SW: EPI - The Phantom Menace ($96m)
Godfather Collection ($85m)
The Mummy Returns ($79m)
Jurassic Park III ($75m)
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs ($74m)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:21:21 PM
None of those figures are really a surprise to me. But, then again, I see the majority of the people buying/renting them everyday. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:25:42 PM
No, those figures are indeed 2001 and they are indeed real. I've seen them at BoxofficeMojo.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:28:11 PM
I'm really surprised that Castaway and POTA beat TPM. I thought it would have done alot better. But I think VHS sales did hurt, plus the fact that everyone knows that TPM, and every other SW film will be released on DVD at least once more.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:34:01 PM
And Jurassic Park 3 and Mummy Returns its hard to believe that 3 inferior films beat it really especially that POC POTA, and the same with Pearl Harbor but I think that has a lot do with Patriotism after 9/11 also I think 3 of those film were realeased at Christmas so that has to be a factor too. But really I think Jedieb is right the movie sold a lot of tapes back last year and some people may have not wanted to buy another copy.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:09:57 AM
But the deleted scenes... and the games! And... and... aw, I didn't even buy one copy so I'll just shut up.

flagg
Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:38:27 PM
I'm glad that quality films like The Mummy Returns and Planet of the Apes beat that awful TPM. Shows that DVD buyers have some taste!

Shawn
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:02:53 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts of that post were sarcastic. o_O

Jedieb
Mar 5th, 2002, 10:56:53 PM
For the love of Yoda I'd have to believe ALL of it!

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2002, 11:34:52 PM
Well if he weren't, we have our first troll here.

Bit weird tho when he also topiced his post TPM was the best DVD ever!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:24:37 AM
I know come on TMR and POTA were not that good TPM were 20 times better, Hmm the name sounds familarly not really sure why.

JonathanLB
Mar 6th, 2002, 08:09:50 AM
Yeah, The Mummy Returns was enjoyable only because of its effects, the story sucked. To be fair, though, I thought the first Mummy was WAY worse. I'm usually willing to give any entertaining effects film three stars if it is fairly well done, but I couldn't give The Mummy 3. I had to settle for giving it 2.5 and even then I think I was being generous. The Mummy Returns was entertaining, but it was such a sad film as far as acting, dialogue, plot, lol, it was not a very good film.

I liked Planet of the Apes, though, it was one of the better films of 2001. Far better than Amelie, better than the acclaimed Monster's Ball, better than The Royal Tenenbaums, better than A Beautiful Mind (by about two times), better than most of the films I saw. I gave it four stars. Plus, it's a good DVD set.

The TPM DVD is still the best made, though. Sure Shrek is great, I own that too, but TPM's DVD is far better. It's the best DVD so far, no question about it, and why it's not the top selling DVD ever, well, the film sold a lot of VHS tapes, I'll say that much, a ton of those things.

Still, the revenue besides the box office gross is pretty amazing. Something like $400 million in VHS sales and rentals, now plus $100 million in DVD sales, another 1/2 billion, lol, man. TPM probably made a collective $4 billion or more. I know it topped $1 bil. in merchandise easily, nearly made that at the box office, plus the huge Pepsi deal at $2 billion, but that lasts a bit longer so only part if it should be considered TPM's, but still :)

Jedieb
Mar 8th, 2002, 06:39:19 PM
I have to agree with all of the neys for POTA. Mildly entertaining, but the Heston original was a better movie. It'll be interesting to see how AOTC does on DVD, especially when it's rumored to be coming out late THIS year. With no VHS burnout it should have no obstacles to record grosses and sales.