PDA

View Full Version : SW threads in OOC forum

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:51:39 PM
While were here - what does everyone think about the posting of SW threads in OOC?

We've already established that Ep. 2 topics are to go into 'SW FIlms', should other SW material similarly be moved to it's appropriate forum if one is available?

(I'm specifically referring to the Garrett's new thread on Luke mislabling an R2 unit in ANH)

EDIT: The thread in question has since been hijacked and descended off track, but I still think this would be a good thing to discuss right now.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:03:11 PM
Note: split from Sith Ahnk thread.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:08:50 PM
If we do something about this, then it should be the same for entertainment. Warn people we will be enforcing where they should be, then start to ease them into the right place. Dont sprint, walk

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:11:22 PM
If we do something about this, then it should be the same for entertainment.
We've already been enforcing posting of SW topics in BO/Entertainment for 3 months now - with the exception of the AOTC Toys thread of Jedieb's things have been kept in the right areas.

OOC though still seems to get away with it - some EU topics have been posted as well as the odd Films topic in the past.

That's one of the problems with having a general forum like OOC I guess - it tends to leech discussions from the other forums since people prefer to post in the general all-purpose area rather than seek out the right places. :\

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:56:06 PM
Ahnk also has a couple other names registered under the same email adress as the other two.

"Horace Whitiker" and "The Sith" are also his.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:10:14 PM
Wrong thread Ogre. :)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:11:57 PM
Gah, I just clicked on the icon for most recent thread on the front page, not seeing a new post indicator. I had no idea you had split the thread. :p

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 10:21:44 PM
Well, I admit that it would be a good idea... but I think most people post those threads in the OOC forum because A) they want more replies and B) they want to discuss it with fellow roleplayers. Except for maybe myself, Reaperfett, Yog, Figrin and DT, not many roleplayers visit the other forums very often. I even know that Jeseth has it set so that it only displays the Roleplaying category when he comes here.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:56:16 PM
Well maybe that should:p I think I said that once when I first became a mod and Champion corrected me and we have been enforcing ever since (except for Jedieb's toy thing, I just let that go, I guess its because I don't go to Collecting very much and just didn't think about it. I agree with Reaper on this though If we do we should do it slowly because nobody has been enforcing it at all and I think people would get mad if happened overnight. It something that we should think about before EP 2 comes which is only about 79 days away.

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:46:58 AM
Well, I admit that it would be a good idea... but I think most people post those threads in the OOC forum because A) they want more replies and B) they want to discuss it with fellow roleplayers.
But if everyone went to that extreme there would be no point in having other forums - we might as well only have the 1 forum where everyone can post anything they want. We've got to draw a line somewhere.

Admittedly it can be hard to define though - Reaper's thread on his theory of a person being able to step on a lightsaber (and not get hurt) as well s my very own 'Light Side Dark Side' thread can fit into any number of forums due to their broad nature. Usually I'm willing to turn the blind eye to them - it's the ones where their is clearly a designated place for them to go that I get a bit wary of.

I have moved a couple of threads in the past into their proper place (leaving a relink in OOC so they could easily find it) and I would often post a little mesage explaining why it was moved. That tactic seemed to work fairly well and I never once had a complaint.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:55:39 AM
I think its up to you though. Still what about EP 2, can we allow two threads maybe even the same threads to coexist in two different forums? I think everything involving EP 2, except Boxoffice you stay in films but that is just my opinion. But as Reaper said we would have to enforce everything.

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:03:39 AM
Still what about EP 2, can we allow two threads maybe even the same threads to coexist in two different forums?
If you'll recall after a little disagreement with some certain posters a little while back I posted an announcement in all the forums as to where Ep. 2 topics were meant to be posted. No one posted any criticism.

There's still a copy of it in Communications should it ever need to be brought up again. It can be found here:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11114

In hindsight I should have probably had it refer to all SW threads in general rather that just Ep. 2 threads, but oh well.

And yes these things will be enforced board wide - it was very frsutrating back when we had the RPF to have to enforce different standards for different sections of the board. I don't want to have to go through that all over again. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:09:59 AM
Now that you mention it I remember it and I also remember nobody said anything bad about it, so at least we are covered if anybody complains we can point them to that thread.

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2002, 10:14:37 AM
I think things like my stepping on lightsabre one would end up not mattering if this happened, as one or two quite general topics wouldnt be noticed. But look how many LOTR threads were in SW OOC :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:13:46 PM
forgive me confusion but ... OOC SwRping is separate from anything related to talking about episode 2? Is that what I am reading?

Been having a rough time keeping up -_-

I am just uncertain about some topics about episode 2... will some threads be allowed or just hands down no

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 04:49:23 PM
I am just uncertain about some topics about episode 2... will some threads be allowed or just hands down no?
It's most certianly hands down NO for Ep. 2 topics in OOC (or anywhere else apart from the designated forum). As I mentioned above we even had an announcement about it a while back - not only because they belong in Star Wars Films, but also because some people don't want to be spoiled and as such that stuff should be kept in the one place.

We haven't been mainitaining a similar standard thus far for other SW topics, but I think if there is a clear-cut place for it to go (discussing the latest EU novel or one of the SW Films for instance) then it should be in the proper forum rather than in OOC.

Topics like Reaper's lightsaber theory I'm not too worried about - despite being SW related they're pretty general in terms of where they can go so for me they're not of any real concern.

JMK
Feb 26th, 2002, 08:00:17 PM
Isn't that why this forum exists? If we're unsure about a thread, we can ask about it here and get it settled asap between the staff?

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 10:54:52 PM
If we're unsure about a thread, we can ask about it here and get it settled asap between the staff?
What do you think we're doing now? Our times tables? :p

In the end though the reason I'd like a clear-cut definition either way is because whatever we decide upon will set a precedent for the future - I don't particularly want to have to rediscuss these things everytime someone posts a SW thread in OOC. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 11:46:48 PM
Hopefully we can get in that direction after EP 2 if we influence them there we can influence on the other threads.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 26th, 2002, 11:49:37 PM
So more or less, Episode 2 comes out it goes straight to the Star Wars Films.

ahem

Roger Roger :)

makes sense to me but hopefully we can just direct our OOC peeps to go there to talk about it. It can't be that hard to go hey, discuss to your hearts content there.

hopefully

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:01:14 AM
Hey I wouldn't mind the traffic, it has been so dead all day over in general area, the last post was around 5 PM EST I don't know what up with that lately its been pretty steady in box office maybe its just a dead Tuesday I don't know. Of course things are going to change real quick especially since the next trailer is on the horizon.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:05:02 AM
It can't be that hard to go hey, discuss to your hearts content there.

hopefully
It isn't hard, but some people just get too comfortable posting in the one place and don't like to move, and as such get stubborn if you try to redirect them anywhere else. :\

In addition, Shawn has alerted me (see above) about posters like Jeseth having the board set to only display the Roleplaying section, which means some people can't even see the other forums (let alone post in them). :x

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:12:00 AM
They can do that? Could we remove that feature then or would we have to have it voted on or something?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:30:51 AM
All that is done is the person is bookmarking a page that only displays the category. Its not an actual setting in their options or anything.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:33:32 AM
EDIT: Ogre posted while I was typing - I like Carr thought people could actually set it to be that way.

If some people are coming here directly to the Roleplaying section and not going anywhere else, well that is up to them. If however they try to post content that should be in the other forums then they will have to get into the habit of visiting those other forums.

(sorry for constantly harping that point - bad memories of the RPF with it's 'we can post whatever the hell we want, wherever we want' attitude really make me anxious to avoid similar experiences in the future)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2002, 02:40:02 AM
Okay I guess Ogre cleared that up for us. And I agree with you Champion, if they want to go to Roleplaying forum and thats it I guess that is fine but they shouldn't be posting EP 2 related topics over there.

ReaperFett
Feb 27th, 2002, 03:36:26 AM
Well, if he starts getting a lot of his topics moved, it's his own fault :)