PDA

View Full Version : My little theory: You could stand on a lightsabre and not be hurt

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:13:34 PM
Think about this.

As we know, the power of a lightsabre's blow is affected by the force(no pun:)) the users puts into it. This is proven by Luke hitting Vader but doing little in ESB, and Qui Gon pushing his sabre more when the blast doors close.

So, in theory, if you went down VERY slowly, you could step on a lightsabre. Yeah?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:14:52 PM
Be my guest. I'm not going to tho

Seth Darkserpent
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:21:02 PM
I would think that it would incinerate your foot?

Darth Lynch
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:21:10 PM
Sounds as fun as stepping on a nail.

I would be surprised if lightsabers and how they functioned are not worte out in detail in some SW guide book, your answer may be there.

Gav Mortis
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:22:56 PM
I disagree. That's like saying if you put your foot on a sword and you press down slowly it aint gonna cut you. Eventually it will. Mind you, your counter argument to that would be that regular swords are solid, whereas lightsabers are just, light.

But that's just it, they aren't just light are they? Otherwise anyone could get some sort of flash light and cut people up with them. The lightsaber blade cuts because of it's sheer heat, not due to sharpness or density. So no matter how slowly you place your foot down on it, it will be burned to hell.

Reason as to why Qui Gon had to apply more force was possibly because the blast doors were made from denser material than the regular ones. Therefore it would naturally take the blade longer to burn through the metal.

Key distinction, a lightsaber doesn't cut, it burns.

imported_Firebird1
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:28:38 PM
You never know... Go build one and find out.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:29:26 PM
So explain why Luke didnt lop Vader's arm off in ESB when he hit him. Come on smarty pants :)

Gav Mortis
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:38:16 PM
Oh please! Have you ever watched Luke's swordsmanship in those films, if he'd have fought a real swordsman, he'd have been killed whilst he was carrying out his first attack.

The actual fight at that point in time is very crude and all over the place really. If you look carefully, Luke's attack is little more than a jab, but from the side, he retracts the blade almost as quickly as he lunged into the attack. If he had of lobbed off Vader's arm, he would've lost both of his. Watch, just as he retracts Vader swings down and just misses.

Even if he had've taken his arm off, Vader would've recovered quickly enough to de-arm Luke - literally. :) Hence it was an instinctive decision on Luke's if you ask me, one quick stab here, another there and stay out of Vader's way and you'll slowly wear him down.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:00:01 PM
yes, but it would have caused damage. It didnt because he was just throwing the attacks at him, no planning, tactics or prescision :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:22:48 PM
It didn't cause damage because Vader has very good armour - it can even block blaster shots. :)

But I think the idea that one could step on a lightsaber (and not get hurt) if they did it very very slowly is flawed. Watch TPM with Qui-Gon ramming his lightsaber through the blast doors - after leaving it in for a few seconds it starts to melt through. I think your foot may do the same.

However, I suppose one should point out that Reaper never mentioned anything about not getting hurt in his original post - just that one could step on one. Which is probably possible like someone stepping on a nail. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:25:52 PM
It didn't cause damage because Vader has very good armour - it can even block blaster shots.
GET BACK! He's referencing the Glove of Darth Vader series! Save yourselves!!!

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:27:59 PM
He's referencing the Glove of Darth Vader series!
Never read it. Just using the films as a possible reference. :p

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:29:43 PM
Later novels said he absorbed the blast. GODV said it was his amazing glove :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:32:39 PM
Down to personal opinion. Though I admit it would be weird if Vader had gloves strong enough to deflect blaster shots whereas your average Stormtrooper's armour can't. :)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:38:23 PM
Stormtrooper armor was meant to protect against the environment, not blaster bolts (from what I've read).

Orion Csalestes
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:42:12 PM
o_O I doubt that Lucas had ever imagined the scrutiny his films later would endure.

I mean...a bloody glove! :lol It must be flattering for him!

Gav Mortis
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:54:23 PM
I'm sure that the blaster bolt in question was deflected, not absorbed, I can't be bothered watching it now but I've always assumed his glove had deflected the bolt, I've never heard of Force Blaster Bolt Deflection. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:00:05 PM
He absorbs the power, so it's force absorb. Never played Jedi Knight? :)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:04:10 PM
Never played the Light Side. :D

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:06:30 PM
Stormtrooper armor was meant to protect against the environment, not blaster bolts (from what I've read).
I'm sure all those stormtroopers who have been blasted are thankful to know their armour can at leats protect them from a snake bite. :p

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:06:39 PM
I only really used it in MOTS, but that's not the point :)

Orion Csalestes
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:15:46 PM
Aboard Imperial starships, what would be the purpose of the plating without anti-laser lining, seeming to be used 24/7? It also applies to the helmets various system officers wear.

Protection from running into walls, perhaps? :lol

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:16:51 PM
However, I suppose one should point out that Reaper never mentioned anything about not getting hurt in his original post - just that one could step on one. Which is probably possible like someone stepping on a nail. :)
Scratch that - Reaper had the 'not get hurt' part in his thread title. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:23:57 PM
that was a summary. Dont trust summaries :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:26:13 PM
Dont trust summaries
But you said it there - so that would imply your reasoning is that you can't get hurt. :)

Or is Reaper trying to bail out now? :p

Admiral Lebron
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:39:19 PM
The stormtrooper armor is used mainly as a cheap items that protects against the enviorment and primitive uprisings. Most riots didn't have blaster weilding freaks in it, only peircing weapons. Which they protect quite well from.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:43:11 PM
Unless Ewoks use them :)

Gav Mortis
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:43:34 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
He absorbs the power, so it's force absorb. Never played Jedi Knight? :)

I know about the ability to absorb energy and I wasn't denying that he might've done that but I'm sure in the film that bolt is actually deflected. I'll have to watch the scene again.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:57:03 PM
Well for starters, it could absorb in the way that a wall would. Thus, deflecting the shot, but absorbing the damage :)

And btw, just checked, it doesn't deflect. It goes in a puff of smoke :)

Orion Csalestes
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:57:12 PM
You have a point, Fett. The weak joint connectors are too spacious to effectively protect from jabbing weapons.

At any rate, they're still protected against flies and stones!

Well...the plating still looks nice. :rolleyes

Admiral Lebron
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:58:35 PM
It was his mechanical hand, so maybe it just burned it.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:19:46 PM
It had always been my interpretation that Vader simply projected a field of impermeable force that the bolts impacted on.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:04:01 PM
Actually, Vader had a decent amount of energy control. He likely deflected the bolt or absorbed it. Nothing in the range of a Halcyon, who could take a barrage, but more than capable of dealing with a bolt or two.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:09:48 PM
In the novelisation of ESB, it states Vader made it deflect and dissipate. It has nothing to do with his glove, armour or anything, he clearly used the Force to stop the blaster bolt.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:10:39 PM
(shrug) I guess I just take the layman's viewpoint on this. I know when I watched it I wasn't like "WHOAH...that glove is totally badass"

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:27:48 PM
"So, in theory, if you went down VERY slowly, you could step on a lightsabre. Yeah?"

That's like the old theory that it would be possible to walk through a wall if you could move slowly enough. Nice theory from a simplistic point of view, but molecular motion kind of messes things up. (Reference the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle for more information.)

The other problem to consider is the mass of the object (or person in this case) attempting to stand on the blade. Regardless of how slowly one were to position themselves, eventually the entire mass of the person would have to rest on the blade. Taking in to account gravity (lets assume a standard 1G environment) and previous demonstrations of a sabre's ability to burn through objects, it seems pretty clear that the person's feet would either be sliced through or begin to combust.

Sorry Reaper.... nice try. :)

Sith Ahnk
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:47:23 AM
Originally posted by Shaunupraptor

No, the theoretical planning of the stormtrooper armor was that it provided, by angle and thickness of armor a blastproof reflective suit. However in practical application this was proved, by the millions of dead stormtroopers, to be completely bullox.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:48:30 AM
I guess I just take the layman's viewpoint on this. I know when I watched it I wasn't like "WHOAH...that glove is totally badass"

I am offically the only one

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Feb 26th, 2002, 05:11:52 PM
*seems to remember this topic being talked about before* hmmmm....:\

Jehova Eaven
Feb 26th, 2002, 05:46:44 PM
Isn't storm trooper armor designed to take projectile shots? it would make sense of the energy going through the suit, like a stun blast.

Alpha
Feb 26th, 2002, 06:44:07 PM
That sounds more like it for the stormies...

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 27th, 2002, 04:22:01 AM
:lol @ this thread!

And the theory of stepping on things softly and not getting cut etc (or breaking the eggshells) works because of the distribution of weight. You might be able to step on two razor sharp swords placed parellel to each other (one under the ball of your feet the other under the heels?) but a lightsaber which burns instead of cuts?

No.

And please, stop the over analyzing! Augh! O_o

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Feb 28th, 2002, 12:06:16 PM
I know how to step on a lightsaber and not get cut!
Step on the handle!
Duh.

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2002, 11:01:20 PM
If you want overanalysis, you should have seen my arguement roughly two years ago about how lightsabres violate the laws of thermodynamics... ;) :lol

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Mar 1st, 2002, 03:29:45 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
And please, stop the over analyzing! Augh! O_o

jI don't thjink she wants morrre...

Rrrememberrr, less jis morrre. :cat