PDA

View Full Version : Sith Ahnk

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:28:21 PM
Who is this guy? He has been running up posts like crazy, he has posted 73 times in the last 24 (wow) and for comparisson I have poste 27 times in 24 hours (I posted a lot last night conversing with CMJ about the Oscars that is why it is so high for me) Is he a problem, I mean is trying to post that much or is adding anything to the conversation? I ask this because he was talking about wanting to see Liv Tyler nude in LOTR in the Boxoffice Forum and Marcus told him to be quiet, just curious at what you think about him.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:31:35 PM
Personally, he bugs the snot out of me and I have been trying to make him settle down. I have also warned him once for posting things that could be construed as flames. He rarely posts anything of actual content and is generally just a bother. The other day he had well over 100 posts and none of them contained more than 4 or 5 words. I am starting to think he is nothing more than an irritating troll. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:39:36 PM
That was my impression because he did the same thing over in Films and Boxoffice, and Exapanded Universe, like calling Jainia's picture on Dark Journey hot and then saying nothing else. I will keep an eye out on him when he comes over to my end if he does anything else I will let everybody know.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:42:24 PM
And this is the type of poster that becomes a moderator at the Gungan council board?!?!?! guh :x

Sorry that he crept out of the RP OOC forum, and please let me know if he offends or flames anyone. He wil be dealt with if such is the case.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:48:35 PM
Believe me I will let you know me and JMK will have to keep a lookout on him, so far the only thing he has done has been irating like in the LOTR DVD thread talking about Tyler being nude in some swiming scene, I had no idea what he was taking about:huh. After reading your last message I also see how he has posted 73 times, it isn't hard I guess when you only post 4 or 5 words.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:52:03 PM
About once every five or so days he actually says something that slightly resembles intelligence, but the majority of the time its just quanity over quality.

I'm thinking if he bothers anyone in the General section again, he will lose his posting privilages in just those forums under at least two of his names. (Oh how I love the power of vBulletin)

Just so you know, Frank Harrigan is another of his names here.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:56:44 PM
Okay I will keep an eye for that name as well.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 02:12:04 PM
Videl is basically asking for a restraining order on Ankh. If I can catch her online, I'm going to tell her about the wonderful "Ignore" feature. :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 04:52:12 PM
I've been checking around TGC and it seems as though he's kind of a spammer by nature (as are a lot of TGC posters - the number of irrelevant threads and posts over there is overwhelming).

I'm thinking if he bothers anyone in the General section again, he will lose his posting privilages in just those forums under at least two of his names.
I think if he starts to really bother people we should remove his posting privileges entirely, not just remove him from some parts of the board since it opens up the opportunity to bug the hell out of us in the other areas. The whole board runs by the same rules afterall - what's wrong in one area should equally be wrong in another.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:06:26 PM
Fair enough and agreed.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:11:07 PM
BTW, I've edited out one of his comments in the LOTR thread and deleted the other 2 - it might give him a hint.

EDIT: I deleted the other 2 because I was just repeating the same 'Don't post irrelevant stuff here please' message so I figured I'd just edit the one and delete the rest.

(the beauty of deleting posts is that they get deducted off the user's post total)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:12:54 PM
Funny that Ceel would gloat about how many posts his board had, and we find that the bulk of their content is along those lines. :x

Good show, I will keep my eye closely on him.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:17:11 PM
and we find that the bulk of their content is along those lines
We can't really gloat either - OOC has become junk heaven as of late. :\

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:18:58 PM
define junk. If it is entertaining, surely it is good?

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:24:25 PM
If it is entertaining, surely it is good?
But I don't find it very entertaining, so I call it junk. :p

Personal opinion of course. :)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:40:08 PM
Eh... OOC is for arguments and junk. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. It was created to keep that stuff out of the Roleplaying forum. :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:42:58 PM
It was created to keep that stuff out of the Roleplaying forum.
Axtually it was created to keep discussions pertaining to the roleplaying (which would include arguments :)) out of the Roleplaying forum. Unfortunately it has since descended into a sort of chit chat area. |I

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:50:28 PM
I have no problem with that. It means that the board sees a little more action. And it gives me somewhere to post all the strange links I happen across. :D

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:53:41 PM
It’s the completely brainless posts that bother me. Things like Ahnk does a great deal of, hijacking threads with very pointless stuff that is usually very immature and sometimes just plain rude.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:56:24 PM
That I agree with. Sometimes, threads just happen to change subjects. But he purposefully tries to derail serious discussions, and it's bothersome.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:58:21 PM
Yeah, I agree, I don't object to all thread hijackings but his usual method of it is just bleuck :x

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 05:58:48 PM
But it can go the other way. Were it not for OOC, I would barely be around. Few Entertainment posts, the odd RP post, but thats it. And when the reasons to post dry up, I dont post. A few do that, and the place could die a death

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:00:56 PM
We aren't really debating OOC's existence here as far as I know, just the content of Ahnk's posts for the most part. Or at least thats my impression of this thread. I'm not planning on doing away with the OOC forum, I'd just prefer to see more thought go into some of this particular individual's posts than there is currently.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:01:05 PM
It’s the completely brainless posts that bother me.
Me too. I don't mind the weird links like Shawn posts :) - it's the threads like 'Let's post mindless junk' etc. that irk me.

Champion of the Force
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:03:17 PM
We aren't really debating OOC's existence here as far as I know
I'm most certainly not calling for the removal of OOC - like Ogre said it's mainly concerning all the irrelevant posting that's being dominating the place as of late which is pretty much spam. :\

JMK
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:45:44 PM
Sorry, I'm tuning in late here folks. I've noticed this clown around here alot in the past few days. And I don't think I recall anything useful that was in his posts. I missed the whole Liv Tyler thing, but I'm in favor of banning chumps who just want to boost their posts total or be a disturbance.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:50:33 PM
I don't really go to OOC so I don't know what goes on there so I won't get into that argument, I'm just don't like the way he comes around and posts and post, his urser id is not even two weeks old and he has more post in this month then most of the older members have had in the same time frame. And its not that he is saying anything either, in most threads (excet the one on Resident Evil the only thing he contrubited) where I have seen his comments its nothing just a sentance nothing more and its doesn't add anything to the conversation, if he becomes a problem I agree with Champion we would have to deal with him, hopefully your edits will get his attention though.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:53:32 PM
Should we list "being a Troll" as a bannable offense in the FAQ? :)

No, I'm serious here. I recall the staff having much trouble trying to get Itala banned because he never technically broke any rules (least, not that we could prove). He knew how to walk the fine line between "being a troll" and "being banned". Adding something like "We can and will ban Trolls" will give us a catch-all clause to take action in such cases.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:56:46 PM
If I remember right there is already something in the FAQ about it, though it doesn't state it as a banning offence in such simple terms. I'm in favor of it being added for clarity.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:59:44 PM
Fine with me a little while back I asked this question about Trolls and what we should do if one popped over in my area (I was also worried about a certain box office conspracy theorist:rolleyes) and I think you told me that I could bad them just had to tell here why.

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:53:25 AM
Should we list "being a Troll" as a bannable offense in the FAQ?
Like Ogre I thought it was already covered to a certain extent under the rules we already have. In Ahnk's case I think he would be guilty of 'spam' which is bannable.

If someone wants to throw in another rule concerning trolling that's fine, however it's going to need a well-defined description and not be left purely to our discretion - some posters just hate those.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:57:53 AM
Wasn't the trolling issue the whole thing that caused the first split on the old ezboard?

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:05:34 AM
Wasn't the trolling issue the whole thing that caused the first split on the old ezboard?
I don't quite follow - could you be a bit more specific?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:16:56 AM
Somebody said a while back, can't remember who that there was a trolling problem (I think this was in 99) and that the trolls weren't being baned or something and that the administrator back then, I think the same person who started the website who has since vanished, let them do exist and a bunch of the members revolted and started Courscant City, this is what I heard how much of it is correct I don't. I was pretty new then and I don't think I was around nearly as much as I am now.

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:28:26 AM
Oh, I'm with you now. I thought you were talking about our recent split with ezboard for vBulletin. :)

In regards to the formation of CC.Net, what happened (in a nutshell) was that some trolls were harrassing the board and Jason (the admin) was unavailable. As a result some of the mods took it upon themselves to sort out the trolls so they began to edit out the trolls comments and replace them with their own more humourous ones.

Anyways some of the trolls pleaded innocent to Jason and he came and kicked some mods out of their positions, which led to the riot and the eventual formation of CC.Net.

If you want more details ask Lounge Lizard - he was one of the mods booted out back then. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:33:28 AM
Oh Okay I was always curious about what exactly happened but at least now there are more than one administrator and us mod are on the same page. Just curious was Darth23 a mod back then (I know he went over to CC) or did he just join in with the ones who left (although he continues to come back :p)?

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:39:27 AM
Just curious was Darth23 a mod back then (I know he went over to CC) or did he just join in with the ones who left (although he continues to come back :p)?
I don't remember if he was a mod or not - he is one now though over there.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:09:58 PM
Sorry I am late with this :)

I agree with the spamming. Ankh is such an annoyance and he is hardly RPing except for that crazy talk show thread. Is that thread even allowed to be done O_o

Perhaps we could do a general warning about the usuless posts or something. That way no one is singled out?

Charley
Feb 26th, 2002, 03:52:35 PM
Ah history lessons!

Yeah, that was the gist of the first great SWfans revolt. The mods were shoved into a heated situation with no real outline of what to do. We acted, and got slapped on the wrist from up high. So we hit the road. Craziness :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 26th, 2002, 04:57:02 PM
Perhaps we could do a general warning about the usuless posts or something. That way no one is singled out?
Sounds good. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2002, 11:39:28 PM
Thanks I didn't know what exactly happened so I am glad you guys informed me. :D Well at least this time we are all better informed and know what to do.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:01:26 AM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12258

there ya go :)

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:03:52 AM
After looking over the FAQ again recently, for Dale's thread, I saw the part where it mentioned post counts. I took the liberty to knock about 200 posts off of Ahnk's total since there are at least that many, if not more, that have had zero substance and it is covered in the FAQ as well as the fact that several of the staff members have had issues with him and his nonsensical posts.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:09:34 AM
Good idea, maybe he will now learn to behave although if continues to act this way I guess we will be forced to take even more drastic measures.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:18:00 AM
You said you edited his post totals right? Well under statistics it says he has 300 something while under his name 122, any way we can change that? Just wondering because if he is doing in to get a lot of posts he might look there and see how many he has.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:21:48 AM
I took the liberty to knock about 200 posts off of Ahnk's total
Only problem is that removing said posts by editing their profile only alters things like the Member lists and the User Profile - in places like Statistics which actually record the exact number of posts done on the board it has no effect unless you actually start deleting posts. :\

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:28:07 AM
I could pop over to the vBulletin forums and ask for the DB query command to actually change the DB which should affect those stats I would think.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:41:51 AM
Sounds good, even if it will give Shawn first place with his 9000 and somthing posts he's magically granted himself. :grumble

:p

As for Dale's thread, do you want me to add the little tidbit about SW threads in OOC as well?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:46:16 AM
Originally posted by Champion of the Force
Sounds good, even if it will give Shawn first place with his 9000 and somthing posts he's magically granted himself. :grumble

:p

As for Dale's thread, do you want me to add the little tidbit about SW threads in OOC as well? After looking over some old topics at the vB support forums, it looks like the only way to change that number in the Statistics section is by manually deleting his posts one by one. mass pruning doesn't affect a user's post count and I think the vBstats hack actually checks the full database for the post numbers, which is one reason it sometimes takes a long time to load.

As for the idea about threds, I'm all for it.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 12:50:47 AM
Ok, I'll go do it now. :)

Ankh is such an annoyance and he is hardly RPing except for that crazy talk show thread. Is that thread even allowed to be done?
I'm no longer an expert on Roleplaying, but after preusing the thread in question I would have to say no. It's almost like one of those typical mindless OOC threads we've been plagued by for the past 2 weeks (complete with quotes), except it has an IC intro to it.

I think some action on it may be warranted.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 01:01:14 AM
I have moved the topic "The TV show" or whatever its called on the grounds that it gives a bad impression of what we consider Role Play by being in the Roleplaying forum.

Champion of the Force
Feb 27th, 2002, 01:02:52 AM
Fair enough.

BTW, LL has been doing some editing of Ahnk's post in Marcus' '97 ... 98 ... 99' thread, to which Ahnk replied:

Pffffft
I think one or 2 more actions like this and we can safely ban him.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 01:03:54 AM
I agree.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2002, 01:08:51 AM
Back to the question of post counts and the Statistics page. I have gone ahead and posed the question at the vB support forums just to see if maybe there is a magic fix via use of a DB command. My hopes aren't high though.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40644

Shawn
Feb 27th, 2002, 02:17:09 AM
Originally posted by Champion of the Force
Sounds good, even if it will give Shawn first place with his 9000 and somthing posts he's magically granted himself. :grumbleAh heh heh... you noticed, eh? :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2002, 01:09:51 AM
Just to let you all know, he has just hjacked a thread sort of in films under the lightsaber color theory one where we have been discussing if we will see new colors he says that he would want to have an invisible one, either he didn't read it or just didn't care, I have no idea, but I figured I better bring it to everyone's attention.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:25:34 PM
Ack, leave it to ahnk to take sirdizzy's thread too far x_x

To ban or not to ban...

Shawn
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:38:45 PM
*cringes, and prepares for outcry*

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:47:14 PM
I personally think all those 'SmarterChild' bot posts are pretty stupid. I think banning Ahnk over it might be considered taking too far though.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 5th, 2002, 09:47:55 PM
That was kind of what I was thinking too.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Mar 5th, 2002, 10:58:23 PM
I thought they were bad since day one that I saw them. Perhaps no more of that considering it had to be taken to the next level.

Champion of the Force
Mar 5th, 2002, 11:26:19 PM
I saw them as a kind of fad that would die within a week. As another poster said after readin 1 or 2 they lost their fun and became a bore.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:15:58 AM
Oh brother, I guess its best though to see if he does anything else on this thread.

JMK
Mar 6th, 2002, 11:38:43 AM
I just peeked at his I.P. info and I'm 99.5% sure that he's from Montreal. If he acted up anymore, I could track him down and give him the beats with relative ease! :lol

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2002, 11:49:26 AM
Do it! :)

JMK
Mar 6th, 2002, 01:22:34 PM
Want me to give him one from Reaperfett? :lol
While I'm at it, does anyone else want to get some free shots in?

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2002, 04:03:16 AM
20 dollars to impale his prostate with a pitching wedge!

JMK
Mar 8th, 2002, 11:54:06 AM
20 U.S dollars? That's like $100 Canadian! Consider it done! :lol