PDA

View Full Version : FOTR DVD news

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 08:49:49 PM
Okay, there will be the August release of the DVD version, which will have no changes from the movie. 2 DVD set

Second, there will be a apparently 4 hour version, with a lot of cut scences put back in and new footage that is being shot, in a 4 DVD box set!?!?!

Finally, in 2004, there is a rumour of a Director's Cut - 4h30 minutes, rated R, not PG13. The full blood and guts version. Given Jackson is a master fo the hacker fick, this will be gruesome if it happens.

Champion of the Force
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:10:38 PM
Any idea on when the 4 hr / 4 DVD version will be coming out?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:30:10 PM
November.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:40:43 PM
I'll probably rent the 2 hour version and buy the 4 hour version be silly to buy both.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:14:34 PM
Same with me. The 4 hour version sounds sweet as

TheHolo.Net
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:15:31 PM
I'll just stick to my DiVX files until the director's cut hits the shelves. :)

Champion of the Force
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:39:35 PM
Who would want to see the 2hr version over the 4 hr version? I say we should demand the 4 hr version now! :)

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:41:50 PM
I couldn't find any Divx versions that worked :mad

I've not read anything about the 2004 version yet, so I'm interested to see if that happens...

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:46:19 PM
Originally posted by Champion of the Force
Who would want to see the 2hr version over the 4 hr version? I say we should demand the 4 hr version now! :)

Well, you've got the people (insane) who liked the movie, but thought it was rather long....

Though if some of the scenes I heard of were indeed filmed but left out, releasing only the 4 hour version would disrupt some continuity if they're planning on leaving the parts related to it out in the theatrical release of the rest of them (for example, i heard the part with Gimli and Galadriel, his choice of gift and "change of heart" about the elves was recorded, but left out for time's sake...now I'm assuming that the theatrical release will continue to leave this out because it wouldn't make sense to have it in the later films without explaining it, because there are several times when this is mentioned and built upon in the book...if I'm making any sense at all)

JMK
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:48:47 PM
Wow, 4.5 hours? That's crazy! I'll wait till november too. And I'll buy again in 2004.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:50:13 PM
What I liked, if I understood the sources I read correctly, is that the 4 dvd November version will have both cuts, the original and the extended...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:50:15 PM
It will probably be a box set that will include all three films.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:16:50 AM
Can you imagine wahat the full directors cut of LOTR in a boxed set, all three movies, in it's complete glory would be like?

Apart from the ultimate bladder test? If the second and third movies are of the length of FOTR, your potentially got 13.5 hours of LOTR... it would be a seriously expensive boxed set, but I would buy it in a blink.

I would think seriously about a projection TV as well, plus a stereo upgrade..... and a new couch.... you know, just to do this justice.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:49:27 AM
EDIT: Keep your irrelevant comments elsewhere - they have no importance in this discussion.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:50:08 AM
*drools at Marcus' description of a LOTR experience*

I know what I have first on my list when I get out of law school, one of these days...

*dreams*

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:58:47 AM
I think you can go on hoping.

Aurelias Kazaar
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:45:52 AM
Ahnk just go see 'Stealing Beauty'

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 03:06:52 AM
Thread hijacking and immature comments like that are not as tolerated here as in OOC. Keep it on topic, clean and sensible.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2002, 03:07:35 AM
That 4+ hour directors cut will probably be gobbled up by a lot of the Tolkien purists... the ones who liked the film, but felt it could have been a lot better with 'nothing cut.' The box-set in November is going to be a hot seller, I think. So many Tolkien fans are going to be after that one to see all the extra footage... I know I will be. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 25th, 2002, 03:10:39 AM
Hey CB, if it comes true and there really is a 4.5 hour directors cut of all three movies, we should try to gather somewhere and have a huge screening.

I know if the box set in Nvember is a reality, I will be buying two. One to play and one to be pretty on my collection shelf :)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:22:46 AM
I don't see why people have a problem with long films. So long as they're good for the entire length of the movie, I don't care how long it is. Heck, the Stand is something like 6 hours, all told.

BTW - I have managed to find a version of FotR that's working. But the quality is a bit reproachful. Try looking for the one that's split into three files.

If there's no confirmation on the Director's Cut, I'll be picking up the second version.

Darth Lynch
Feb 25th, 2002, 11:36:02 AM
I may be in the small minority however do hate it when studios release multiple copies of the same DVD within months or a year or two. Why not release it the first time if do plan to do as such?

When something like the case between Kevin Smith and Disney happens can at least understand why they are not able to put out the "full" DVD yet when there isnt a problem why do it?

It helps the studio get more cash but is a pain to the consumer and a good way to make some hate the whole DVD collecting experience. Only so much the average spender will put up with when such things happen and can cause a back lash or those interested in building a collection to buying less or being more picky on what they buy, could give the DVD industry a mighty punch in the checkbook. Reminds me of the comic industry in such a regard only not as bad.

Such a thing is unlikey now due to DVD's being red hot and shall not as long as the market isn't flooded with "director's cuts or special editions when one version was just released."

Got off the reason meant to post this but shall wait for the four hour edition:)

For those that say its too long compared to shorter films, not a single person dared to move out of their seat during the whole film while it played, not even Titanic managed to keep so many seated for its length during the viewing I saw, many sat even after it was over to take it in or wonder if there was more not realizing LOTR is a three parter.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:27:22 PM
They do to make more money plain and simple, that is why if they come out on DVD I just wait and buy the special edition ones, of course there might be people who don't care and just get the regular copy. I wonder how this is going to effect VHS and DVD sales.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:44:40 PM
Who would want to see the 2hr version over the 4 hr version?
Depends. There could be a major reason to why the scenes were cut, as in they were useless :)

Still, maybe they'll make the Aragon romance not feel so bolted on :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:10:45 PM
I think they mostly were cut for time reasons sure they have no use to the plot. From what I have read the cuts are Strider leading them through the marshes, some more scene in Riverdale and in Lotherien including them showing Galadriel giving each of the characters gifts (they only showed Frodo getting one in the original cut). These scenes don't seem to help the plot but I do think they could be interesting to see.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 25th, 2002, 01:17:58 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
BTW - I have managed to find a version of FotR that's working. But the quality is a bit reproachful. Try looking for the one that's split into three files.The version I have is only split into two files that total 1.4 Gig, and it is pretty beautiful looking, high quality DiVX IMO. :)

I am definatley going to be one of those who is after the DVDs in their fullest of duration and content, even if that means waiting three years or whatever.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2002, 02:06:28 PM
Oh... I thought you said you couldn't find a working version. :p

And yes: I do hate it when they release several versions of the same DVD. The only mistake I made was getting The Crow as soon as it came out. It's basically just the movie, no extras. Now there's a 2 disc version with tons of extras. :(

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2002, 03:46:59 PM
Feel for us Evil Dead fans. I can count at least ten editions of a trilogy :)