PDA

View Full Version : Bafta's...round 4

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:11:18 PM
LOL...just seconds after I post about FOTR and it's Oscar prospects it comes from off the mat. :P Round 1 AFI awards....FOTR. Round 2 Golden Globes- ABM....Round 3 Broadcast Fil critics...ABM. Round 4 BAFTA's.....winners below...
2002 – The List in Full
Best Film: The Lord of the Rings
Best Director: Peter Jackson – The Lord of the Rings
Best Actor: Russell Crowe – A Beautiful Mind
Best Actress: Judi Dench – Iris
Best Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent – Moulin Rouge
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Connelly – A Beautiful Mind
Best Special Visual Effects: The Lord of the Rings
Best Make Up and Hair: The Lord of the Rings
The Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music: Moulin Rouge
Best Sound: Moulin Rouge
Best Original Screenplay: Amelie
Best Adapted Screenplay: Shrek
Best British Film: Gosford Park
Best Production Design: Amelie
Best Cinematography: The Man Who Wasn’t There
Best Editing: Mulholland Drive
Best Foreign Language Film: Amores Perros
Best Costume Design: Gosford Park
Best Short Film: About A Girl
Best Animated Short: Dog

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:19:09 PM
I know its weird, honestly I think it could go either way (between ABM and FOTR) at the moment it will be interesting to see how things go progress. Its weird how they pick different people then they academy like Moulin Rouge for Sound? What is that about.

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:22:37 PM
Well back in the "ole" days musicals almost always won sound. I guess Academy members figure anything to do with sound musicals should win. :P I think this might help out Crowe whose buzz had been fading a bit. Also...Dench might actually be a factor now....who woulda thought. Conolley may as well write her acceptance speech now. ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:22:51 PM
SHREK?!?! Best Adapted screenplay!?!?!?! What the?!?!

Hell, those awards are literally all over the place. However, FOTR won the big two!!! YAY!!!!!!

I agree about Connelly. She is an absolute lock to win

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:25:15 PM
Yes the awards are all over the place. This year might be like last year with a three way train wreck(CTHD and 'Traffic' with 4 and 'Gladiator' with 5) on Oscar night.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:26:55 PM
I don't know is the best supporing actress always the wild card? it was last year but who would it be Maggie Smith? because she has never won and there could be some sympathy like there was with James Coburn one year.

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:28:56 PM
Maggie Smith has won before..back in the 70's. But yes Best Supporting Actress is a category where upsets occur...HOWEVER Connelly has won like EVERYTHING. I can't imagine her losing now.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:32:17 PM
I do remember one year where somebody one everything (Tom Cruise maybe but I was thinking it was an actress) and lost on Oscar night. I thought when they annouced the nominees they said that Smith had never won, of course they could have been mistaken (I think this was on E.

ReaperFett
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:34:55 PM
I see Winslet and Dench winning awards for the same role. That'd crack me up :)

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:35:36 PM
E! television makes mistakes consistently. ;) I'm almost positive that Smith won before(about 89% sure). Nonetheless she MIGHT win because she is a beloved ederly actress.

If Connelly loses I would be shocked. Of course the case you mentioned..I think it was when Lauren Bacall had won just about everything and lost come Oscar night...so I guess it MIGHT happen. We shall see.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:39:58 PM
That was it, who beat her out? Just curious. And I would be surprised about E they had some idiot on there reporting the news to begin with.

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2002, 03:22:13 AM
I agree, I think this really does confirm that the Academy Award could go either way... FOTR and ABM seem to be on pretty equal footing right now.

And, to second Mark's comment about Best Adapted Screenplay...

WTF?

:)

CMJ
Feb 25th, 2002, 10:30:50 AM
Juliette Binoche defeated Bacall in the '96 Best Supporting Actress race.

I looked it up....Maggie Smith has won TWO Oscars. One in '69 for Best Actress and one in '78 for Best Supporting Actress.