PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mr Champion of the Force.....

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:38:23 AM
Have you been listening or watching the cricket?

I caught most of Gilchrist's innings (and I'm in awe... how good is he?!?) and I'm now listening to Gillespie / McGrath bowl. I should be going to bed, but it's too good listening to this massacre.

On a different note, I think Steve Waugh really is getting too old unfortunantly. I dont think he's got much time left, more's the pity. He's been a damn good captain - I think he's going to retire, Sydney test next year.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:44:39 AM
Cricket-SImilar to Curling in that it would be more exciting if they used the instruments of sport and fought each other to the death in a brutal no-holds barred atmosphere

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:56:18 AM
How about you face Brett Lee when he hurls a cricket ball at you at 100mph. While there are some laws about deliberatly beaning a batsman at baseball, there is no such rule in cricket. Batsmen get hit all the time and they get hit hard, its perfectly acceptible to attack the head of a batsman when you bowl.

You seem to lack knowledge how vicious cricket can get.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 07:06:20 AM
Baseball-Similar to Cricket in that it would be more exciting if they used the instruments of sport and fought each other to the death in a brutal no-holds barred atmosphere

ReaperFett
Feb 24th, 2002, 07:16:00 AM
Cricket is just as intresting as Baseball. I personally am not a major fan, but would watch if it was on.

And curling rules :)

Admiral Lebron
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:36:33 AM
Lacrosse is best. They give us titanium sticks to whack eachother with.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:40:12 AM
..Lax... ?

*refrains from saying what he thinks about lax*

*looks around*

Baseball rules! (boring to watch, fun to play)

Seth Darkserpent
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:56:56 AM
Fett, you're just saying Curling rules because the Brits one the gold :p

Admiral Lebron
Feb 24th, 2002, 12:40:07 PM
Lax is better than baseball. Lax is better than all non-contact sports. 'Cept maybe cheerleading...but thats a different subject.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:11:21 PM
Baseball... non contact? Heh. That's what they like you to believe.

Most, if not all injuries I have had came from baseball, the non-contact sport. :)

Thanatos Van Derveld
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:17:14 PM
I've never been able to understand cricket.

What's that saying again, Trust the British to come up with a sport that no one in the world understands except them, and still be able to be beaten at it.

Or something like that |I

Admiral Lebron
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:29:12 PM
Baseball is nowhere near as contact as Lacrosse. A friend of mine, a goalie, went through 3 cups last year. THREE! Not one, not two, but THREE! Far more dangerous then jamming your finger from a ball that you caught wrong.

ReaperFett
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:45:07 PM
Trust the British to come up with a sport that no one in the world understands except them
Easier than American football. I don't understand the point of all the stopping and starting in that :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 24th, 2002, 03:05:13 PM
Who said anything abuot jamming fingers? I'm talking about broken bones, getting hit in the head with two metal bats at the same time, getting hit in that special place with a fast ball without a cup, wrenching one's ankle and injurying shoulder/back. Only time I jammed my finger was when I dove for the ball and landed ackwardly on my glove hand. Ended up cracking my thumb on that play.

Of course, you're right Lax is much more of a contact sport than Baseball, and that Baseball really isn't considered a contact sport. So don't know why you said Lax is better cause it has more contact than Baseball. Can't really compare two sports when one is contact and one technically isn't. It's not fair. :p

Admiral Lebron
Feb 24th, 2002, 04:51:45 PM
Can to. Look at Soccer and look at Curling. Curling is waay cooler!

Champion of the Force
Feb 24th, 2002, 05:14:39 PM
Have you been listening or watching the cricket?
I've been listening to it a bit on the radio. Nice little annihilation of South Africa there. :)

I agree about Steve Waugh. I was a bit upset over how he got removed as captain of the One Day side, but he's 36 years old and probably would have to step down in the very near future anyway, so I guess now it's done it should stay that way. At least he's still captaining the Test side, and has nowshown he can still kick some serious butt. :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2002, 05:29:13 PM
Heh, in 10 years of playing baseball, I've had 5 concussions, countless cuts and bruises of a greater or lesser degree, a bone chip close to my eye socket from a bad bouncer, and had my left thumbnail ripped clean off by a high and inside fastball I got jammed on.

Football's given me an equal number of countless cuts and bruises, along with 20 concussions, a broken tailbone, severe sinus hemhorrage, and after one day of open-field tackling a 280 pound lineman...my neck pops every time I look left.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:15:01 PM
I've been listening to it a bit on the radio. Nice little annihilation of South Africa there.

Only the secnd biggest victory of all time. Nothing much :)

What really sucked about Waugh being dropped was that he has stated he wanted to retire at the 2003 World Cup. I really hope he stillgets his chance.... and I suspect the next domestic year will be the last he plays. That could mean the last test he plays will be against England in Sydney. And if that is the case, I will be soooo there, watching and hopefully he goes out with a triple century :)

Now Langer and Hayden are strating to really settle in as openers, Martyn and Gilchrist at 6 and 7 and Ponting owning No. 3, now is a fair time to begin to get the Waugh twin's replacement's ready.

Shawn
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:19:09 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Heh, in 10 years of playing baseball, I've had 5 concussions, countless cuts and bruises of a greater or lesser degree, a bone chip close to my eye socket from a bad bouncer, and had my left thumbnail ripped clean off by a high and inside fastball I got jammed on.

Football's given me an equal number of countless cuts and bruises, along with 20 concussions, a broken tailbone, severe sinus hemhorrage, and after one day of open-field tackling a 280 pound lineman...my neck pops every time I look left. Things like this make me glad I never got into sports in school. :)

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:27:27 PM
I got a concussion from softball. Baseball has yet to hurt me.

ReaperFett
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:29:08 PM
What really sucked about Waugh being dropped was that he has stated he wanted to retire at the 2003 World Cup
YES! We have a chance! :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 07:08:10 PM
:lol @ Reaperfett

I bet there will be a lot of teams glad to see the back of Waugh. Especially England :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2002, 07:32:15 PM
You really should've, Nup. Best thing I ever did.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:03:23 PM
High school sports are so much fun. The injuries aren't that bad usually. They sound bad, but they aren't. From Lacrosse I've walked off with dozens of cuts and bruises, a sprained ankle, one concussion, five or six broken fingers and a few broken toes.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:09:19 PM
Or you could end up like me and need knee surgery every eight months to be able to walk

Gav Mortis
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:19:54 PM
Y'know, no matter what sport I've ever played - I've never, ever had a serious injury. I mean I've played rugby in the past with blokes twice my weight and the worst thing that's ever happened to me was getting a scar on my hand from someone wearing studded boots trampling on it.

I can't abide football(EDIT: Not American Football - I mean soccor). Favourite sports include rugby, basketball, swimming and any martial arts.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:25:52 PM
Got a broken leg playing rugby. I've also cut and burnt my hands badly as a result of a rallying "off". I've had broken ribs from martial arts, broken hands and feet.

Gav Mortis
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:29:32 PM
Good grief! What's wrong with you people!? You're all faulty, breaking all over the place! :eek

Football's given me an equal number of countless cuts and bruises, along with 20 concussions, a broken tailbone, severe sinus hemhorrage, and after one day of open-field tackling a 280 pound lineman...my neck pops every time I look left.

How in the name of sanity did you manage all that, I thought you guys wear padding when playing!? No helmets or padding in rugby but I think two helmets colliding would cause more damage than two skulls to be honest.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:39:04 PM
I left one game of hockey with a concussion, a broken jaw, arm, leg, and ankle, requiring a good forty stitches, spent over a month in the hospital and have never fully recovered from post-concussion syndrome (mind you, I've had subsequent concussions).
And that was the last time I played hockey.

Darth Vader
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:41:32 PM
The padding is only half for protection. The other half is there to quiet down your self-preservation instinct, with the illusion of safety. I've played rugby with some buddies, and in contrast to it, in rugby you hit somebody as hard as you can -- barring manners that will lead to gruesome death. Football, that unconcious rule is out the window. There is much to be said about getting hit in a true head-on collision. The light dims in your eyes, you see little red stars, and temporarily go deaf, as your hands and feet tingle. Its all a matter of recovering from total sensory vertigo, wrapping up, staying low, and driving your feet in the followthrough.

Sith Ahnk
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:44:11 PM
Rugby is too brutal for me