PDA

View Full Version : Iliad & Odyssey

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:10:28 PM
...Both by Homer, but are the stories related to one another? Sequel or whatnot? I ask because I was able to score some copies of old classics like War and Peace, The Three Musketeers, and the 2 mentioned above and I just want to know before I start to read them if one should be read before another.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:18:40 PM
The Iliad deals with the Trojan War so I would read it first, The Odyssey deals with one of the warriors trying to go home so its better to read it second.

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:00:39 PM
Perfect, thanks JMC. Is the warrior from Odyssey also in Iliad?
Have you read any of the other books I mentioned?

Champion of the Force
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:26:00 PM
I don't think the warrior from The Odyssey (called Odysseus) is in The Iliad, but I haven't looked at it in years. The Iliad was primarily concerned with characters like Priam, Agammemnon, Achilles, Hector etc etc etc.

I'll have to check it up.

Champion of the Force
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:29:34 PM
:: check up books ::

Ok, I was wrong. Odysseus is in the Iliad, but he's more of a minor character. He does get some book space in a few areas but not much. It's not until The Odyssey that he gets centre stage. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:44:06 PM
Yep thats right, they are both good books IMO not easy to read, I liked the Iliad better, as for the other books I have read The Three Musketeers in fact I did my thesis on a character in the book Cardinal Richelieu, the book is pretty good, not Dumas's best (I think The Count of Monte Cristo is his best IMO) there are some historical references in the book but it doesn't interfer too much with the story. As far as War and Peace, I haven't gotten around to yet, I have always wanted to but just haven't. Actually that book has been the butt of jokes for a while have not clue why maybe its because of its length, I know Tolstoy is not an easy writer to read but that is more with philosphical tracts than his novels.

Hart
Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:23:12 PM
They're both VERY good if you luck out and find a well-written translation of both of them. I used to be very interested in Greek Myth/Legend and it comes in handy a lot. There are numerous Odyssey references in our culture today.

Jedieb
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:24:29 PM
War and Peace is brutal. If you're looking for a Russian lit fix I'd recommend Crime and Punishment over it in a heartbeat. Haven't Homer or the Illiad, but I've seen the stories on PBS's Wishbone, so is reading them really necessary?:rolleyes

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:57:45 PM
Crime and Punishment seemed like a good book...too bad I was too ****ing lazy when it was assigned to read it...

Iliad and Odyssey are two of my favorite books (go figure ;) )

JMK, I'm curious...did you pick up those books at barnes and noble? I asked because I remembered seeing those same ones for Buy 2 get 1 free there or something...I thought about buying a few...Three Musketteers was one of them...I need to see if they still have Stoker's Dracula...

I was considering Kerouac's the Town and the City...has anyone read it?

JMK
Feb 24th, 2002, 03:35:01 PM
We don't have Barnes & Nobles in Montreal. I got them at Coles, but they were on sale for some ridiculous price. I bought them before X-Mas, but only got around to asking about them now.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2002, 06:00:10 PM
I am sure Crime and Punishment is an easier read, Homer's works aren't bad though it really depends on the translation, actually The Three Musketeers is the easiest it is just a swashbuckling adventure novel.