PDA

View Full Version : The year of Alexander Great

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:41:30 PM
Why is that there area mulititude of Alexander the Great Movies in production. There are three that are being made from what I have read. One starring Yog's avatar :p as Alexander directed by Martin Scorese, another starring Heath Ledger and directed by Oliver Stone and a third not cast so far directed by Ridley Scott. Talk about overkill. Really the first one out will probably be the best I am betting and one of them probably won't get made (would be insane for a studio to back a third probably the Scott one since nobdody has been cast). The Stone version is suppose to start in October in India (that sounds like a good location) but knowing Stone the whole film will be about the conspiracy surrounding Alexander's father (Philip II) death:p
Actually this reminds me of two instances when a historical figure was put up in such a big way: Joan of Arc and Wyatt Earp
Joan at one time had three biopics going of her, only two were completed one as a CBS miniseries starring Leelee Sobieski and Peter Toole and a real stinker called the Messenger starring that awfull actress Milla Jovanich (she looked nothing like Joan and then they made her look more like a lunatic than somebody devoted to her cause).
In the case of Wyatt Earp two movies were made Tombstone, a great movie that dealt with just the event, then the terrible biopic by Costner that showed that Earp's life (beyond that instant at the Ok Corrall) was actually pretty boring. Not sure how the Alexander's movies go but I am hoping one of them will be good and at least better than terrible Richard Burton one:x.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:02:32 PM
Stone could make that movie into another Nixon. Aside from nauseating casting, I think the Scorsese version will probably be the best.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:14:11 PM
Scorsese is the better director IMO, still, it really depends how they want to tell the story which will matter, they can make it very boring like they did with Wyatt Earp pretty easily, but I think it would be hard with Alexander when you have war, murder, homosexuality, alchol abuse, suspicious deaths, Alexander killing his friends, etc.

Master Yoghurt
Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:45:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
One starring Yog's avatar :p as Alexander

My real name is Alexander. It must be an omen of some kind. Of what I am unsure of. :x

Btw, 3 movies at once is definitely an overkill. Which one is going to be best would probably depend on perspective and how you want the movie to be. Personally, I think Oliver Stone's version is going to be the best. Despite his tendency to reach for the speculative and political provoking (that does not need to be a bad thing, in fact, I kind of like that), there is usually a minimum amount of realism and accuracy involved. I find his style more interesting and thought provoking than the more typical please the masses Hollywood approach. On the other hand, I am unsure how he will the handle the epic and grand scale such project no doubt will be, the battlescenes etc.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
homosexuality

I was about to ask why in the hell you would cast Leo, till I read that part...

ReaperFett
Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:14:35 PM
Heh, so Joan of Arc was played by Leelee and Leeloo :)

I don't think Wyatt Earp was a BAD film, just dull

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:07:11 PM
LOL CB, yeah it is interesting that connection is there. Interestingly Leo has already played a gay man and he had huge nude love scene in it, of course it came out before Titantic and he has tried to make people forget about, I think playing Alexander won't help. I am curious if any of them will show the darkside of Alexander's character particularly his killing one of his close friends, and probably one of his lovers in a drunken rage. Then there is whole mysteriousness about his death and the death of his father. I am waiting for one to show Alexander having his father killed which is stupid thing to do, he was killed by a man who was really angry at Philip, Philip had molested him as joke, (I'm not making this up), so really he had motives of his own for the killing. Its also possible the Persians had him killed because they were worried about his growing power. As far as Alexander he died kind of young close to 30 (of course back then not many made it to 30) it has been guessed then he might have drunk himself to death (dying of alcohol poisoning) of course there are plenty of other things that could have killed but there defintley was no conspiracy.
Reaper, is Milla's name Leeloo or something, I could understand the connection there? and I agree I don't think Wyatt Earp was bad just way too long that is why they should have never concentrated on the man's life because other than his days in Tombstone and maybe in Dodge he didn't doing anything interesting but maybe being a drunk.

ReaperFett
Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:10:09 PM
Her character in the Fifth Element was called Leeloo :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:15:41 PM
Oh Okay I forgot her name in that movie.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:30:44 PM
I actually liked Costner's Wyatt Earp. I just think that the Kurt Russell version was a lot crisper and more economical. Costner's version was less formulaic, but it was a bit more self serving. It was as if the movie was catering to Costner's ego more than the Earp story. But there are some nice scenes in there. I actually found it to be more memorable than Tombstone, at least for me.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:46:49 PM
I liked Tombstone better, maybe because I saw if first, I don't know, I just thought that Wyatt Earp was way too long.

Champion of the Force
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:23:31 AM
I also liked 'Tombstone' better. It knew what story it wanted to tell and did it well.

'Wyatt Earp' on the other hand, seemed to just drift from one plotline to the next in Earp's life without any real idea where it's destination was. And yes it did seem more like a film designed to play up Costner than tell Earp's life.

As for the 3 Alexander films, I can't see all of them being made either. Chances are that 3 different studios had the idea and began preparing without realising others had the same idea.

I'll bet at least 1 of them is canned, maybe 2. If 2 are released their release dates will probably be pushed far enough apart.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:46:27 AM
hopefully one will probably the Scott one unless they push it off for a few years or something. Looks like the Stone movie will be first since they will be shooting in Oct, had heard whats going on with the Leo one recently.

ReaperFett
Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:59:33 AM
I'd rather a Ridley Scott version than Oliver Stone :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:56:45 PM
As I said it would depend with me, if they make major changes and do something stupid, like make Alexander having his father killed, that I would hate that version but if they at least keep the major facts straight then I will give the film a chance. Not really sure which one would be the best there, Stone has done some conspiracy stuff, but in Gladiator they changed all kind of stuff around which irked me at times, with Alexander though I have read more about him so the changes would probably irk me even more.