PDA

View Full Version : In the Bedroom

CMJ
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:50:58 PM
I saw this today, and all I can say was it was terrific. The cast gave pitch perfect performances, especially Wilkinson. It's a movie that really appreciates the power of silence....

Out of the films nominated for Best Picture this is the 2nd best IMHO. Todd Field(the director) has made one heck on a debut. I look forward to his next film eagerly.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:40:53 AM
Forgot this was the title of an Oscar contender. Needless to say, I was very dissappointed by the thread.

CMJ
Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:52:27 PM
LMAO Jedieb!

ReaperFett
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:09:29 PM
Why'd you come into a thread about CMJ's bedroom then? :)

JonathanLB
Feb 24th, 2002, 04:54:02 AM
Nice EB, LOL!

CMJ, I would like to see it but I don't know where it is playing. Perhaps it's at the Fox Tower 10 near me or something. I'm going to go see Amelie this week I think. I heard it was really good and I think I should see it. My philosophy teacher loved it.

I've been too busy seeing lousy films to see anything good, haha. Six straight movies that I've given less than three stars to at theaters. Dang. Started with John Q, then Super Troopers, then Queen of the Damned, then Hart's War, then Crossroads, then Dragonfly, now Big Fat Liar tomorrow and I don't expect the string to come to an end. Maybe next week. :) lol

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2002, 12:24:12 PM
So you're back in Oregon then Jon? I could give you several places here in Los Angeles that it's playing. Too bad we never met while you lived here.

JonathanLB
Feb 24th, 2002, 04:09:31 PM
That is too bad, I had forgotten you lived there. Whoops, I mean, I knew that but I forgot.

Well I'm back in Oregon now yeah. I think someday I'll be back in Los Angeles. At least, I don't want to stay in Oregon all that long. Maybe three years, but I don't want to be stuck here forever. The weather is too bad, too wet, too rainy, too depressing for me. LA has been beautiful lately.

CMJ
Feb 25th, 2002, 10:35:38 AM
LOL..don't worry about it Jon. I haven't lived here that long, only a few months.

Nonetheless, I hope you manage to catch 'Bedroom' soon, it's worth a viewing. :)

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2002, 05:55:58 AM
I am sure it is worth seeing. I'd like to see any film that the Academy thought was good, just to say I saw it and I have a knowledge of what they were talking about, love it or hate it.

I hope to see Amelie, Gosford Park, and In the Bedroom soon if I can find them playing in Portland and I think they are still. Fox Tower 10 is like this downtown theater we have, pretty new (within three years) that plays independent films and smaller art house movies. I saw Memento there, saw Mulholland Drive there. Memento played FOREVER and it had three screens for a long time too, haha, it did quite well for them apparently.

They keep their movies for a long time, unlike with the new release theaters like Evergreen that obviously cannot afford to keep anything for much more than three weeks. Although, TPM played 14 weeks at Evergreen, 22 at Movies on TV Highway (hehe), but Evergreen normally just cannot keep a film more than 4 weeks really, perhaps 5 or 6 if it does very well. They have LOTR still, but Rollerball has one showing per day now, so it is nearly gone, and Snow Dogs is down to 3 showings per day (sharing a theater screen with Rollerball), plus Orange County was ousted quickly, Return to Neverland was not even chosen to play, etc.

CMJ
Feb 26th, 2002, 10:10:07 AM
I'm probably gonna see 'Amelie' this week...maybe 'Iris' as well.

As for 'Gosford Park', while pats were very funny..I was less than impressed with it overall. Though I do know people that liked it...

JonathanLB
Feb 27th, 2002, 03:01:25 AM
Let me tell you, I am sure it beats Big Fat Liar, Super Troopers, and Crossroads. Ugg, I just saw BFL and that film sucks really badly. I was thinking it could be pretty good actually and it just took a nosedive about 15 minutes in and hit the side of a mountain somewhere along the line. It was awful.

I'll be writing my review of it tonight yet. I have written a ton of reviews in the last few days, hehe, and now I'm up to 14 out of the 15 films at Evergreen. Most likely tomorrow I will go see Snow Dogs to make it 15/15.

I checked and In The Bedroom is not playing at Fox Tower 10 but I think I saw that it is playing at another theater fairly close to me, so I believe I can see it still actually.

It's just that my list of films to see is still really huge because I'm trying to review basically everything recent, especially in 2002, so I'll go see Orange County at a second run theater even, then I have to get to Amelie, In the Bedroom, Gosford Park, Snow Dogs, Return to Neverland, and The Royal Tenenbaums. Phew, lots of stuff. Once I catch up it'll be pretty easy after that.

I've hit the theaters six straight days now, I am almost sure that is a new record for me.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2002, 08:54:43 AM
Need some help writing reviews? ;) I know I kinda let you down last time, but if you'd like some help I'd be happy to try.

Oh and about that list of 20 movies you wanted me to come up with.... Do they have to be US films...or can they be foreign films?

JonathanLB
Feb 28th, 2002, 02:16:43 AM
No they can be any films, foreign is good too, I do not mind. Hopefully not all foreign, I mean hopefully films that my visitors would enjoy checking out too, but if 3 to 5 are foreign or so, that's great too.

This time around, CMJ, I am just reviewing everything myself since it is JLBMovies and it'll basically just be my reviews, although I had this independent filmmaker contact me (he saw the old site) and he wanted to write editorials/essays about filmmaking and his experiences and whatnot. He was willing to do it for cheap, so I told him maybe after the first month I'll see how well things are going.

JonathanLB
Mar 1st, 2002, 01:42:52 AM
CMJ did you see Amelie yet? I maybe missed another post of yours, but I just saw it with my parents tonight.

My mom enjoyed it, but I knew my dad was bored because he was joking around with me, hehe, putting his head down and pretending to snore. He said after the film, "I haven't been that bored since I had to go to church as a kid!"

Good lord, he is totally right about that one. It is one of STUPIDEST, STUPIDEST films I have ever seen! God!!! What is up with these stupid art house pieces of crap? I am so sick of this. Between Mulholland Drive and now this DUMB Amelie film, I am tempted never to give any film that plays in Fox Tower 10 a chance again. Fox Tower 10 is Portland's big art house theater. Ok, so they play a FEW good movies, i.e. the more major films like The Royal Tenenbaums (I haven't seen it, but I assume it is somewhat good) and Brotherhood of the Wolf (the best French film I have ever seen, hehe, I love this movie).

I just don't get it. I mean, Lord of the Rings, there is a wonderful film, Memento, another great movie, Black Hawk Down is great, but SCREW these STUPID low budget films!

Amelie had no plot whatsoever, it was just totally idiotic. I was so bored I really wanted to just take a nap so I'd be rested when I got home. I have rarely seen a more boring film and the only reason I gave it 1/2 star is so that Crossroads would remain the worst film I've seen in 2002. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to put anything below Crossroads because that film was PAINFUL to watch whereas Amelie was only painful because it seemed so long. At least the acting was decent, but the film itself was horrid.

Amelie must have been at least 4 hours. Fandango says it's like 2, but that must be wrong. Surely it was at least 3 to 4 hours long! I feel like I had a few years of my life taken off just by seeing it.

Good lord, what a wretched piece of filth! My philosophy teacher hated Planet of the Apes, HATED IT, but he loved Amelie. Ok, now that makes no sense whatsoever! POTA is a four star film, Amelie couldn't even get to one star.

CMJ
Mar 1st, 2002, 10:01:40 AM
Yeah Jon...I saw it...look below at the "Amelie" thread. ;) I must say that disagree with you on it though. I posted more thoughts in the actual thread...I may post even more later.