PDA

View Full Version : ABM - chances for Oscar's fading?

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:37:45 PM
http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,3823499%255E10431%255E%255Enbv,00.html

This is not the first time I believe I have posted something hinting the Acadamy is shying away from ABM for various reasons.

Dutchy
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:51:15 PM
Well, as long as Bored of the Rings doesn't win instead then...

Champion of the Force
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:52:44 PM
Whatever happens, it would be wrong IMHO to hand Washington the Oscar simply because he is black. It should be given to the best actor (as opinionated as it is).

CMJ
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:53:25 PM
Washington's buzz has been growing since Ethan Hawke was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. That nod helped Denzel greatly...the last Best Actor winner from a film that recieved NO OTHER nominations was Michael Douglas for "Wall Street" years ago. Washington is due...kinda like Crowe last year. The SAG awards will tell us who will most likely win on Oscar night.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2002, 08:04:29 PM
Whatever happens, it would be wrong IMHO to hand Washington the Oscar simply because he is black. It should be given to the best actor (as opinionated as it is).

Problem is, we know the acadamy does work in the view of "it's Time". I did post some time ago, an article where Ian Mckelland said the same two basic things - a) ABM was out of favor with the Acadamy becuase of the untruths told of John Nash's life and b)There is always the "It's time" movements. Oh and c) There is a lot of love for Tolkein in the Acadamy.

Thence, try this out.

1) Denzel wins Best Actor
2) Altman (sp) wins best director
3) FOTR scores best movie.

it could happen. I also dont believe Jackson will win anything in 2003 either. 2004 however, when the full trilogy is relaeased, he scores the Best Director then - to be honest, that's when he should get it, when the full trilogy is finished.

I also think, if FOTR sweeps this year, no LOTR movie after that will not win anymore (You got your reward, now go away type thing)

I doubt the sweep will happen tho.

ReturnOfTheCB
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:11:26 PM
Dutchy, if Tit-antic can get the Oscar, FOTR deserves it....

What were you wanting out of FOTR? Aragorn to secretly be gay and the Boromir scene an expression of his feelings and a deep regret that he could not have expressed his love? Or perhaps a deep emotional reflection by Legolas after slaying the cave troll...it wasn't really bad...it was just caught up in it all....it was really a victim...or, hell, why don't we close it all with Sam hanging on the edge of the boat (which is obviously big enough for the two of them) telling Frodo to never let go, and then slipping into the water and drowning?

:D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:26:29 PM
LOL that is a weird image. I think Washington is due too, but not because he is black but because he is a great actor who should get one, much like Al Pacino who went years not getting an Oscar, or Harrison Ford when he has a role worthy of it. I also think Washington is a better actor then Crowe but that is my opinion. Also I would love to see FOTR win best Picture that would make my day, I also doubt a sweep, though it could win best picutre, best supporting actor, and win 5 out of the 9 technical awards it got nominated for that would make it win the night with 7 Oscars, that is not really a sweep but is still very impressive.

Jedieb
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:59:22 AM
Washington won't win because he's black. He'll win because of the merit of his performance and his body of work. His Glory Oscar was a supporting nod and I think more than a few Academy members will think he's "due" a best actor nod. IMO he could have easily won for Malcolm X a few years ago.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:06:18 AM
I agree, I don't think the acedemy will do it for that reason but because he deserved, I thought he was going to win two years ago for The Hurricane, he did a good job but it wasn't a great movie that is probably why he lost. I also thought he got snubbed for Courage Under Fire he was terrific in that movie and didn't even get nominated.

Champion of the Force
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:29:43 AM
He may be 'due' for an Oscar, but if he wins I would hope it is because the Academy considers his role the best of the year, and not because they neglected to give him the Oscar other times and they want to make up for it.

I had the same grievances when Phil Collins won the Oscar for Best Song a couple of years ago, where it was said they were also trying to give him his due. My thoughts werre 'Yeah he has been desrving an Oscar for some time, but why THIS YEAR???' (I was going for the Toy Story 2 song which i forget the name of :)).

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:44:03 AM
Well that is why they gave it to Pacino for Scent of the Woman, he did a good job but no where near as good as in previous films, and it was a weak year so they just gave it to him. That is probably what will happen this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2002, 02:36:52 PM
Looks like Crowe has really hurt his chances at a second Oscar accoriding to a lot of people here is the story

Russell Crowe's outburst at the producer of Britain's BAFTA awards last weekend may have cost him the chance to become the third man, after Spencer Tracy and Tom Hanks, to win the Oscar two years in a row, several analysts are suggesting. The Australian wire service AAP quoted a Hollywood source as saying that Academy members frown on "thuggish" behavior by Oscar nominees. MSNBC reported that A Beautiful Mind producer Brian Grazer and director Ron Howard were attempting to perform "damage control" among academy voters. "They know how much the Oscars can be a popularity contest and they've been both working overtime ... telling anyone who'll listen that Russell is a really, really great guy," a source remarked. But Britain's Scotsman newspaper featured interviews with three psychologists who suggested otherwise. "This is an issue of control," one said. "It seems as though he thinks he's so important now that we must listen to what he has to say." The Australian newspaper The Age compared his conduct to that of one of the characters in the British gangster movie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. But Crowe himself, in an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper called such a comparison "just bollocks."

I think it makes Crowe look like a real jerk and many in the Academy seem to not like what he did and probably now will not vote for him, it also could hurt ABM's chances as well along with the only Nash contraversy but I guess we will see.

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 1st, 2002, 05:22:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think it makes Crowe look like a real jerk and many in the Academy seem to not like what he did and probably now will not vote for him, it also could hurt ABM's chances as well along with the only Nash contraversy but I guess we will see.

This is news to me...forgive my ignorance, but do you happen to know what Crowe did/said? this is interesting....and what Nash controversy do you refer to?

Champion of the Force
Mar 1st, 2002, 05:40:29 PM
This is news to me...forgive my ignorance, but do you happen to know what Crowe did/said?
What happened was that the producer for the TV screening of BAFTA cut Crowe's acceptance speech (which ran for something like 2-3 minutes) down to just 1 minute.

Crowe was not too pleased apparently because the part they cut out included special thanks to John Nash, a poem and a few other things Crowe felt were more important.

I don't think he was annoyed because they had to cut his speech, but rather that they left in the early part (which I think Crowe couldn't care less apart) but cut out the later part which Crowe thought was the important stuff.

As for what he said to the producer, I have no idea. I did read that he was quite verbal and may have even used profanity in conveying his disappointment.

JMK
Mar 1st, 2002, 05:40:52 PM
The thing is, I doubt Crowe even cares if he wins or not. As a matter of fact, I'm sure he doesn't care if he wins the oscar.

darth_mcbain
Mar 1st, 2002, 05:43:24 PM
From IMDB:

Angered that his acceptance speech for the best actor award at Sunday night's BAFA ceremonies were edited, Russell Crowe confronted Malcolm Gerrie, the producer of the BBC broadcast, shouting obscenities at him and threatening to "make sure you never work in Hollywood," the London Daily Sun reported today (Monday). Other British newspaper reports said that Crowe kicked over several chairs in the room before exiting. A spokesman for Gerrie's company, An Initial Productions, told the Australian wire service AAP: "Russell Crowe was very abusive and behaved very unreasonably." His acceptance speech, which included his recital of the poem "Sanctity" by Irish poet Patrick Kavanagh, was reportedly clipped because the telecast was running long. (Ironically, Kavanagh, who died in 1967, was frequently censored during his lifetime.) DreamWorks, the studio that produced Crowe's A Beautiful Mind, later apologized to Gerrie for the star's behavior, Daily Variety said today.

To me it just seems that as great an actor that he is, he's got a bit of an attitude problem (especially considering that he himself didn't express any regret over it) that could get him into trouble if he doesn't keep it in check.

ReaperFett
Mar 1st, 2002, 07:53:26 PM
When it was reported on TV over here, it said he had the guy up against the wall.

ReturnOfTheCB
Mar 1st, 2002, 07:54:40 PM
Even if he was mad because he felt the important content was left out, that is just a downright childish way to act...no other word I can think of for it.......just simply childish.....

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2002, 10:53:11 PM
He did seem rather childish to me, I think this could cost him the Oscar too because the Academy is kind of old fashion and don't like arrogant outbursts. As far as the Nash controversy it has to do with the fact that Nash was bisexual (or homosexual not sure which) at one point and the movie doesn't even mention it, there are a lot of people that are mad that this part of his life was covered up, there was something else too that they changed, can't remember what.

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:07:32 AM
Yeah, like the fact that he and his wife were divorced at one point. (I think that's the other glaring omission).